• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R12 away v Nix

pjennings

I think the positives from the last week we can take is that

1) Tommy H is back
2) We have looked the better team before losing players in both games.
3) Matty Simon is not being played as a lone striker.

The negatives.

1) Two losses
2) Two sendoffs - lucky not to be three with clisby
3) Aiden was not beside Tommy H
4) Murray was not Simon's partner up front.

So all we have to do is keep Tommy on the park, keep Hoole on the bench and keep the team at XI players. Simples!!

Tevor

Agree Capn, you could see the Nix building at the end of the first half and then the intro of the new Irish Striker and some urgency from them to start the second half and I said to myself we will lose this game. I doubt we would have hung on irrespective of the Rowles brain fart. As Bozza said at half time if we have a good 10 to 15 mins in the second half we win, less than a minute we have a red card and a Pen and the Nix smelt blood and went for the kill.

Therefore a good 30 mins in the first half does not save the season, that was something like the 7th time we have led a game and we all know how many we have gone onto win. I think this team is so mentally fragile every other team this year knows they have a good chance to chase us down now even from 2 down. Still don’t expect us to win a game this season and yesterday was probably the only chance we have but that’s gone now. We will have to score 4 goals to win a game IMHO and I just don’t see us as being that potent in front of goals to make up for the inevitable defence blunders.

It is just not acceptable and we can not recover from this with MM in charge.

Ancient Mariner

Some very good posts now that a new day has dawned.
In response to a couple of questions:

Tommy was subbed at 60 min because he is not match fit. I am sure that was planned pre game.

We were fading towards the end of the first half because we had too many players who like Tommy were lacking match fitness. Tommy Oar was showing it at 30 minutes, Tommy H. did not show it physically but our control of midfield was waning and Aspro must have been feeling it. They will be all better for the run.

As to Melling not being able to handle being in the back 4, sorry but a DM must have that ability in his kit. Unfortunately while he is a trier the A-League is above his skill level.

Although I am strongly in the Mulvey out camp I also fear more disruption and lack of continuity.
If he continues to pick Tommy H., if he gets rid of Cisse, if he plays Melling off the bench, if he gives Murray a start as striker, if he leaves Hoole in the stands and if he manages to re-sign Millar, Tommy, Tommy, Pain, Aspro and Murray, I may reconsider.

Insertnamehere

I think the positives from the last week we can take is that

1) Tommy H is back
2) We have looked the better team before losing players in both games.
3) Matty Simon is not being played as a lone striker.

The negatives.

1) Two losses
2) Two sendoffs - lucky not to be three with clisby
3) Aiden was not beside Tommy H
4) Murray was not Simon's partner up front.

So all we have to do is keep Tommy on the park, keep Hoole on the bench and keep the team at XI players. Simples!!
And Melling on the bench....

Forum Phoenix

I think you're giving MM a big benefit of the doubt. And that's fine, you can do that - and you're posting plenty of reasoning in your posts, civil debate and all that :)

We haven't put in more than 45 minutes all season. Now, sure, we can say that the only reason our 2nd half was ordinary was because of those individual errors - but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that the 2nd half wouldn't have been ordinary without those. All the evidence this season suggests it probably would have been - heck, WP were starting to get on top of us late in the 1st half and dominating possession.

We could say that our 2nd half dropped off because we were down to 10 men for a lot of the game...maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Plenty of teams don't lose when they lose players because everybody else lifts. I suppose I'm taking the 'glass half empty' view and not seeing any evidence that we would have been any different.

Sure, our first half was good. We've had good halves and lost it later in the game before this season. The first half looked like our structure might be starting to work - but for me, MM just doesn't have the credibility for me to say 'oh all right, I can imagine that you got this one right' when losing the 2nd half is what we've done every game that started well, red card or not.

Still, despite all that, I feel like Wednesday is when our pain will be eased - though I really, really, really hope that Cisse is on a club suspension.
If nothing else, hopefully on the bench and only to come on because we need a defensive switch.

I don't know what MM needs to do about Melling - a DM needs to be able to slot into the back line a lot better than he is. Clisby gave away a few penalties early in the season, but he seems to have corrected those concentration lapses now.

Murray's in a good spot, working well with Simon.

MM needs to have a plan for when Tom H isn't on the field. I don't think parking the bus is the right option for us - our defence and goalkeeper are too inconsistent and we give away too many free kicks in and around the box.

It's a test for Mulvey and Simon. I really believe we can beat City. One isn't enough because confidence will still be shaky - beat City, then we can beat Roar. 2 in a row and the players will start to have confidence again.

In fact, assuming Roar lose against MV, 2 in a row puts us just 1 point behind them. 1 win away from 8th is WSW lose against AUFC (they shouldn't....and I know, at this point I'm starting to look at mathematical possibilities....)

If we hit form late in the season and MC opens his wallet further, then we increase our marketability significantly. If we can then pick up one or two top-tier players without losing much of our current core, then we suddenly have a lot more depth in our squad.

It's great the difference Tom H makes, but also worrying. Last season, we didn't look like winning whenever Tom wasn't on the field.

Yeah we’ll never know Gus.

But we were all over them for 45. And it wasn’t capitulation then send off. It was send off then capitulation.

There are some other considerations, but I’ve got no interested in being a Mulvey apologist, so I’ll let them be.

I was in Mulvey out camp, I think he clearly gambled and came up short in his recruitment, selections, under estimated some things and over estimated others (like Cisse) but I do find OH’s argument very sound as well.

And I like to be fair, there were things to credit Mulvey with in that game. It wasn’t just having Tom back. How we set up and in particular responded as a unit to when Welly had the ball was a huge improvement.

Anyway. I’m not confident about City at all myself. But I saw ‘some’ Hope last night and with a few signings to bolster us, we may be able to stem the bleeding at last I think.

Forum Phoenix

Agree Capn, you could see the Nix building at the end of the first half and then the intro of the new Irish Striker and some urgency from them to start the second half and I said to myself we will lose this game. I doubt we would have hung on irrespective of the Rowles brain fart. As Bozza said at half time if we have a good 10 to 15 mins in the second half we win, less than a minute we have a red card and a Pen and the Nix smelt blood and went for the kill.

Therefore a good 30 mins in the first half does not save the season, that was something like the 7th time we have led a game and we all know how many we have gone onto win. I think this team is so mentally fragile every other team this year knows they have a good chance to chase us down now even from 2 down. Still don’t expect us to win a game this season and yesterday was probably the only chance we have but that’s gone now. We will have to score 4 goals to win a game IMHO and I just don’t see us as being that potent in front of goals to make up for the inevitable defence blunders.

It is just not acceptable and we can not recover from this with MM in charge.

But in the second half we were a hairs breadth from scoring a 3rd goal and probably sealing it right before the Rowles send off?

Welly were always going to come out hard. I
agree about the mental fragility and it’s a good point, teams are going to believe for a long time they’re always a hope of running back over the top of us.

But based on what we actually saw (not our history) there was a good indication we would be able to go on with the job with this one. Which just made it all the more shit.

But that send off plus a goal back combined with our mental fragility/history and not to mention Wellington’s better attacking roster, and it was clearly beyond us.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Just found the article with post-game comments from Mulvey.
https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/mulvey-s-mariners-tormented-by-var-calls

Keen to hear the whole thing, but I'm disappointed with the lack of accountability.
"Blame the referees"....getting a bit ridiculous there Mike.

Yes...the angle of the offside was inconclusive that we saw. We don't see what the VAR sees, for some stupid reason that only the FFA understand - and the VAR uses Hawkeye. We should be able to see the same Hawkeye footage.

Odds are, they got it right - I'd just like to see it to know for myself

Last edited:

Jerem

Yeah we’ll never know Gus.

But we were all over them for 45. And it wasn’t capitulation then send off. It was send off then capitulation.

There are some other considerations, but I’ve got no interested in being a Mulvey apologist, so I’ll let them be.

I was in Mulvey out camp, I think he clearly gambled and came up short in his recruitment, selections, under estimated some things and over estimated others (like Cisse) but I do find OH’s argument very sound as well.

And I like to be fair, there were things to credit Mulvey with in that game. It wasn’t just having Tom back. How we set up and in particular responded as a unit to when Welly had the ball was a huge improvement.

Anyway. I’m not confident about City at all myself. But I saw ‘some’ Hope last night and with a few signings to bolster us, we may be able to stem the bleeding at last I think.

Could it simply be that he was good at brisbane a few years ago, but the league has improved and where others have gone with new possibilities (rudan- it seems), we went " hey he won something, lets try him?"
Ruds and Muscat are showing what oz coaches are improving. but one also wonders how much control over his domain MM is actually getting, when you compare the similar starting situation across the ocean.

Rowdy

Watched the game again last nite and all I can say is HOOLE IS AN ABSOLUTE WAGE THIEF !!

His 'resting defence'
- is nothing BUT RESTING !!!

He does this 'shuffle jog' ALL OVER the park
- doesn't matter where the ball is,
- doesn't matter where he is
- doesnt matter if there's an opposition player in reach or not

"EVERY DAY Hoole's SHUFFLING !!

We get a turn-over and he has ZERO explosiveness to break forward, he really is just a 'ball-watcher'.

The gobfull he gave Melling for (his own) failing to make a 1/2 yard reach for that pass was the epitome of what this sack of shit is all about.

Hiariej WOULD'VE busted a nut to have stayed on in place of this cnut, defended AND attacked ...... shown what that shirt means to him & more importantly US !!

HOPE TO GOD that I dont run into this pea heart prick on the streets of the Central Coast ....... I really dont think I could hold back.

Thats it, nothing more to say than absolutely devo'd.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred