• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

R11 away v Sydney (Kogarah)

Forum Phoenix

The first half performance, despite Cisse's stupidity, at least made me feel that Mulvey is not completely useless. And I think with Millar, Murray, Rowles, Pain, Rowles, Hiariej, O'Neill we have the kernel of a competitive team, a season 1 stlye competitive team but you know they made the grand final. Unfortunately though that means we're 14 players short for this season. Maybe if we can find our Vukovic, Tommy P, Wilko and Petrie in the January window we can save our season from complete embarassment.

That’s essentially it.

Though I think cloning Rowles might prove a mistake.

Wombat

Rowles is a muppet defensively. Maybe if the team brought in 2 ft baggettes every Monday...and ever goal he conceeds they bash him for 1 min for each goal.
I think within 2 weeks he will learn not to run around like a girl with him arms behind his back but actually defend....get your body between the strikers boot and the goal.......its not rocket science.

turbo

Rowles is a muppet defensively

I think you’re being a bit harsh there. He’s been the best of our 3 CBs and he’s the least senior. Also done a lot of good stuff for us too and had a great game against Perth. But he seems like he’d be greatly improved by being paired with an experienced quality CB to learn from and help organise the back line. Sometimes he’s there with golec, other times it’s Cisse, tonight it was melting and Mcging for most of the match.

Antlion

So, enjoyed the first 25mins, we played well. We had some poor calls by the ref again, but,
let's put this result into the context of this season's results:
_20190105_001340.JPG

We are not getting better.

turbo

We are not getting better

I actually thought tonight’s effort was better than the scoresheet suggests. Holding them to 1-0 for the first half was great and we could have been 2 up with a bit more luck. But once we went behind thanks to that dodgy penalty call it was always going to be ugly. Playing a man down is tiring and to do it for over an hour is a big ask and it caught up to us and you could see the impact it had. That we didn’t sit back under the pump and bleed goals anyway was a positive sign. We still pushed and got another goal - much better than the city game we got a draw in.

Wombat

I thought Melling was pretty bad giving away possesion a few times, but his tackling and defensive intercepts in the second half were good. I think you’re clutching for a scapegoat a bit there Gus! Obviously, cannot pass to save his life, but this is all on Cisse.

Decent scrapper but his passing is f**king woeful

Kareem

I think you’re being a bit harsh there. He’s been the best of our 3 CBs and he’s the least senior. Also done a lot of good stuff for us too and had a great game against Perth. But he seems like he’d be greatly improved by being paired with an experienced quality CB to learn from and help organise the back line. Sometimes he’s there with golec, other times it’s Cisse, tonight it was melting and Mcging for most of the match.

We were down 1-0 against Perth because of him...after a couple of minutes.

His 2nd MASSIVE mistake in 2 weeks.
Yes, he may have played well apart from that, but defence is the one position where you can't afford ANYTHING lapses in concentration.

Kareem

I do wonder whether Rowles' (who had a great start to the season) massive drop in form has anything to with his contract situation (his agent trying to take him to City).

Not sure they would want him after the past two games...

Or maybe he just isn't cut out the be a Centreback.
I think he has been much more solid at fullback...

Big Al

I do wonder whether Rowles' (who had a great start to the season) massive drop in form has anything to with his contract situation (his agent trying to take him to City).

Not sure they would want him after the past two games...

Or maybe he just isn't cut out the be a Centreback.
I think he has been much more solid at fullback...
Maybe but I think it’s nore to do with the chopping and changing. He has played RB LB CB and has not had a Wilko next to him to say get here or do that.

Cisse looked like that type early but Rowles wasn’t CB then. The Cisse played shit and lost his place. Just a shambles again across the back. Same thing as the Walmsley season. To much chop and change

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
After 10 mins of the second half, I spat the dummy and went and watched some ufc ...of course soon as I left we scored, maybe it’s my fault , maybe I shouldn’t be watching at all...nah f**k that....fkn Cisse, I couldn’t believe he got knarky with Monty....and the VAR and the ref, did Smurfs supply them did they?...anyway, this seasons over, Cisse need sacking, Mulvey is a f**ktard, Monty best get ready to assume the mantle, and yeah whatever

turbo

Maybe but I think it’s nore to do with the chopping and changing. He has played RB LB CB and has not had a Wilko next to him to say get here or do that.

This. The pairings with the players around you are so important in a back line and we’ve had massive instability there. Sometimes a back 4 sometimes a back 3. The players themselves changing - Clisby, Millar, Mcging, Golec, Cisse are all quite different players. Pain playing that left mid/wingback is a different situation to Clisby. And whenever Aspro is back there’s another change.

It’s no wonder our backline is leaking goals when you look at it like that.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I've slept on it, still never want to see Cisse wearing out colours ever again. He hasn't done enough previously to be forgiven for all 3 of his indiscretions.
Heck, even 4 - a defender grabbing the ball because he's claiming he's been fouled is incredibly stupid.
Grabbing the ball, kicking the ball away, the red card, telling Monty to f*** off.

Hope he copped it from Matty and the team.

Wombat

The most important signing we can make is to bring in a new keeper before our next game. A proper keeper.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Just rewatching a few key moments on Kayo...yeah, MM got his card because of a 2 footed studs-up tackle by SFC that wasn't even a foul. There was no contact, but still should have been a free kick. Commentators, of course, didn't replay it - they don't mind.
Between that and all the times SFC kicked the ball away and got nothing........disgusting.
Did anybody else have a moment, at the penalty, of thinking 'it's gone to the VAR, we're fine', before remembering it's us and the VAR is probably laughing into his SFC beanie?

pjennings

The most important signing we can make is to bring in a new keeper before our next game. A proper keeper.

Just rewatching a few key moments on Kayo...yeah, MM got his card because of a 2 footed studs-up tackle by SFC that wasn't even a foul. There was no contact, but still should have been a free kick. Commentators, of course, didn't replay it - they don't mind.
Between that and all the times SFC kicked the ball away and got nothing........disgusting.
Did anybody else have a moment, at the penalty, of thinking 'it's gone to the VAR, we're fine', before remembering it's us and the VAR is probably laughing into his SFC beanie?

Great two posts that cover my 3 pet peeves.

1) We should not have VAR. Let the refs make mistakes and we live with their bias or incompetence. We were all used to and it didn't disrupt the flow of the game.

2) If you have to have VAR then the idea of not re-refereeing the game and not interfering by Gallop just reinforces the bias of referees towards favourites. The worst of all worlds - you reinforce the bias and disrupt the flow of the game.

3) Not directly related to your post @Wombat but this pissed me off in the commentary last night. I am getting sick of commentators and coaches preaching about protecting your near post. A goal is scored anywhere in the goal. Covering one part to allow a goal elsewhere does nothing. I was self taught as a keeper - as was my avatar PJ. This is what I picked up from watching him

a) The first thing you should always be doing is bisecting the angle of the goal.
b) If people are coming from an angle you actually want them to fire near side. If they do and you cannot catch it you can turn it round the post for a corner. If they go far side and you cannot catch it a parry may go around the other post but it may also go to an incoming attacker in front of goal. This means that to reduce the chance of a goal then any bias needs to be towards the far post.
c) In spite of what Bozza says you should never be on your line. He claims it gives you more time. What it does is give you no chance of pushing the ball around the post. You can push it into the post and possibly in, or push to an attacker but you cannot put it out of play Even being forward a foot increases the chances of not conceding.

Thank you - end of rant, :soapbox:

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

Just watched the replay under cool, calm and trying to be unbiased conditions.

We looked good in the first half because Sydney stood off us and allowed us time, probably why we usually play well against them. Historically Roar are our bogey team because they get in our faces and give us no time on the ball. Perth showed who effective that is last game.

On Melling, he was not as bad in the 1st half as I first thought. He made a couple of good interceptions and two good passes. However his most effective defending was three tackles in which he gave away three free kicks. However the majority of his passes went astray.
Apologies Captain GB, you were spot on, in the 2nd half he was woeful, I obviously did not pick that up because I was watching where the Sydney players were coming from and predicting there next goal. However he was definitely playing out of position but as a DM he should have been able to pick up opposition players. Overall he was poor rather than disastrous.

On Hoole, an inanimate carbon rod would have been just as good. If Mulvey has big wraps on him, it explains a lot of our problems.

On Cisse, total idiot. The first yellow came about for his kicking the ball away after giving the ref a gobful. If he had shut up and kicked it away he may have got away with it. He just asked for it. The original challenge between he and Le Fondre was 6 of one 1/2 a doz of the other, both were hanging on. He had position had position on Le Fondre but fell over and played for a foul which the linesman saw as a fall and flagged. It had to be a free kick. He could have received a yellow for grabbing the ball, giving the ref a gob full, or kicking it away. The ref had no option.
The 2nd yellow may have been a straight red, whatever the result is the same. The length of the suspension will not matter.
On leaving the field it looked like someone said something to him which led to him approaching Monty. Still no excuse, hopefully he gone and gives us a chance to correct one of the many poor signings.

On the penalty. It depends on the angle of the replay as to how you see it. From the second angle, it is clear to me that Melling takes both the player and the ball. This was the angle the ref had, a penalty.
On the 1st angle Fox replayed it looked like Melling got the ball first, but you could not tell when the legs came into contact.
VAR was never going to overturn it.
Melling came from behind with a sliding tackle in the box, a courages decision, but silly. He almost pulled it off and did not pick up a yellow for it, although he picked up one later on (is that 5?).
He may have got lucky, but did not. I think in most cases refs would call a penalty.
If it had been at the other end of the field we would have been screaming for it.
Just trying to be objective.

On Tommy. He did not stretch out at all in his 15 mins so may have been protecting his calf in what was a lost cause, but did provide two beautiful balls to the wingers. Hopefully he is fit enough to start and have 60 mins next week.

On Paine. His best game yet. not only for the goal and his attacking play but also for his defending, well done.

On O'Neil. Another top performance shame he picked up his 5th yellow we will miss him badly next game. He is getting better.

On Simon. Probably he best run this season, but another unnecessary yellow.

On the coach. He limited his options with the bench he selected and after the red we were gone. Poor selections. I would really like to hear him give a critical analysis after these losses rather than complaining and deflecting the questions and going after some questionable decisions.
It was good to see him going over to the fans post match, I think he has realised, or has been told, he needs to mend some fences in that direction.

Maybe the boys could get him on a pod cast and get him to answer some questions candidly. However, I think it would be extremely difficult to ask the questions that need to be asked without it turning into a punch up.
Any chance Jimmy. (If you can pull it off you will have to accept my offer;))

Overall, I am extremely disappointed that we found another way to lose. I would have been interested to see whether we could have jagged a win or whether we would have lost like our previous 1-0 leads.

Next game will be tougher.

Last edited:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I've slept on it, still never want to see Cisse wearing out colours ever again. He hasn't done enough previously to be forgiven for all 3 of his indiscretions.
Heck, even 4 - a defender grabbing the ball because he's claiming he's been fouled is incredibly stupid.
Grabbing the ball, kicking the ball away, the red card, telling Monty to f*** off.

Hope he copped it from Matty and the team.
Yep Kal is a goner, Hell we turned on Roy for one headbutt and a cash grab (and for being Roy)
Cisse deserves far more derision

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Yep Kal is a goner, Hell we turned on Roy for one headbutt and a cash grab (and for being Roy)
Cisse deserves far more derision
Roy did more than 1 headbutt with us. Didn't he cop 2 long suspensions?
He's the biggest thug this league has seen since Muscat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred