• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Privacy scandal from the FFA - and more libel from the scumbag media.

nearlyyellow

Most of the relevant articles weren't behind a paywall.
Really good articles this. Long.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/...lems-in-a-league/story-e6frf4gl-1227621951064
Sorry your page could not be found

We could not find the page you requested. This is either because:

• There's an error in the address or link you have entered in your browser;
  • There's a technical issue and the page has not been properly published;
  • The article was removed to comply with a legal order;
  • It is an older article that has been remove from the site.
If you believe that this is a technical error, please contact us and tell us the location of this page.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...lems-in-a-league/story-e6frf423-1227621998463

Simon Hill on weekend reports detailing crowd problems in A-League

6:11

THERE are always two sides to every story, or so the saying goes. Yet the article in Sydney's Sunday Telegraph regarding the so-called epidemic of football violence, only tells you one.

So, let’s redress the balance shall we?

Let’s start with the inherent contradiction that I consider runs throughout Rebecca Wilson’s piece - that is, the suggestion that FFA are somehow bystanders - accomplices even - in the alleged trouble, because they refuse to accept there is even a problem.

If that is true, then why has the governing body issued banning orders to the 198 people listed? Isn’t that taking action? What else is FFA supposed to do? It already has a security presence in every town where the A-League is played. Maintaining law and order in public places is the job of the police, as it is at any sporting event, or public gathering.

FFA has taken the strongest measures within its remit to punish any perpetrators of trouble, and should be applauded for doing so - not hung out to dry. FFA has also recently dispatched a senior executive to Germany, to learn how the authorities approach crowd control in the Bundesliga (they do it pretty well incidentally), so they can hardly be accused of sitting on their hands on this issue.

For more on this topic, have a listen to the Fox Football Podcast, where Adam Peacock, Simon Hill and Brenton Speed are on deck tackling that and all the week’s big talking points. Daniel Garb also phones in for an EPL chat, while David Weiner catches up with Brisbane Roar’s Matt McKay.

You can also listen to the Podcast on iTunes here or on the iPP Podcast Player app on iTunes.

Have the Australian Police followed their lead? Because at the moment, their tactics, according to Wilson’s article, aren’t working, and it always takes two to tango.

All we seem to hear from Commissioners are their outdated opinions on a sport they clearly have little understanding, or experience of. Witness this crass line from NSW Chief, Andrew Scipione, in Wilson’s article.

“The last thing we want to get to in Australia is putting rival fans in cages like the UK model.”

Now, I don’t know what century Mr Scipione lives in, but it can’t be the 21st, because “cages” vanished from English football grounds post-Hillsborough, as far back as 1989.

Mind you, we shouldn’t be surprised he thinks this way - this is the sort of football narrative Australia is repeatedly sold, via media lickspittles whose primary agendas are other codes of football.

Some journalists here still truly believe 96 people died that day in Sheffield because of “hooliganism”- not police negligence. They should try reading the harrowing reports of the current inquest in England - they might just learn something.

Let’s move on to address the comments made by Assistant Commissioner, Kyle Stewart - who has only been in his post a matter of weeks. Stewart claims that there is a “bloody-mindedness within some of the clubs (and FFA) that does not accept responsibility for the culture.”

All of which is news to the Western Sydney Wanderers (who make up the bulk of the “trouble-makers” according to the article) - because, sources at the Wanderers say Stewart has yet to speak to them at all.

Clearly, minds have already been made up at Police HQ that all Wanderers fans are potential thugs. The police presence at Wanderers games - in my experience - confirms this. It is quite unlike any other.

Riot squads, mobile detention centres, horses, dogs, police officers built like Robocop on steroids, some replete with tattoos on bulging biceps that remind you of nightclub bouncers, rather than your old-fashioned bobby on the beat.

It’s an extraordinary fortnightly show of force, which turn areas of the stadium into nervous stand-off zones, where one twitch, you feel, could lead to a can of mace being thrust in your direction.

Yet even if - as we are led to believe - there are 90-odd Wanderers fans hell bent on causing mayhem, that is still a tiny fraction of the 14,500 average crowd that watch the club on a regular basis. Talk about using a sledgehammer to smash a nut.

On most occasions in Parramatta, the only person “giving it some violence” is Robbie Slater, when he’s sat next to me in commentary.

However, it’s Mr Stewart’s next quote that is perhaps the most revealing of all.

“Behave like a civilized human and not some grubby pack animal, and you’ll find yourself buying many, many more season passes”

This sentence barely makes for cohesive reading, yet cut through the grade two English, and Stewart is, essentially, offering his opinions on the sport itself. In proper grammar it would read “this is why football has so few fans.”

Which, again, I’m sure is news to the Wanderers, who have 17,000 plus members, around 4,000 bigger than Parramatta Eels (their co-tenant) average crowd for 2015.

Still, I fail to see why a columnist goes to a policeman for comment on the progress of a sport.

Similarly, what business does the Police Association of New South Wales have in re-tweeting this via its online account, from someone calling themselves “Ice Maiden”

“Axing football al2gether would B the go. Dreadful 4 creating head injury dementia.”

We’re really getting to the nub of the issue here, and Wilson is right in one aspect of her piece at least.

There is a cultural problem. It lies in the way football is perceived, reported upon and judged by those who exist only on the periphery of it - and most of it is based on age-old prejudice, and pure ignorance.

Why else would Alan Jones (patron of the Australian Police Rugby Union team incidentally) no less, ask this of Wilson on his radio show, when she was invited to discuss her article?

“Is this like terrorism in Paris? The leaders have no guts?”

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

It is barely comprehensible that Jones would equate alleged issues involving football fans with the horrible slaughter in the French capital. It’s tawdry, squalid broadcasting, yet where football is concerned it seems, no comparison is off limits.

This disgraceful slur is one of many from those who appear to live in an Australia stuck in some 1950’s time warp. Where anyone with a surname longer than three syllables is somehow “suspect” - particularly if they like “soccer.”

The disease is particularly prevalent among those involved in sports in competition for fans (and corporate dollars) with football. One is Malcolm Conn, one-time cricket writer, now in the employ of Cricket NSW. Conn furiously re-tweets any negative story regarding football, in order to paint his own sport in a better light. There are many others desperately trying to recreate the “glory” days of Sheila’s, Wogs & Poofters.

Quite why his employers allow Conn to continue with his daily diatribe is a mystery - though maybe a clue can be found in the attendance figures for Test series’ outside the Ashes, not to mention the Sheffield Shield, where the players regularly outnumber the crowd.

It is also indicative of a landscape in which code wars have been allowed to flourish among the media cognoscenti, who - by and large - still originate from, and hanker after, Australia’s Anglo past, rather than its modern multicultural reality.

Hence the traditional sports are ferociously defended by such groups as properly “Australian”, while football is treated with the same sort of shrieking hysteria normally reserved for boat people.

Grubby pack animals indeed.

Still, times they are a changing, and maybe sooner than they think.

Ms Wilson’s column may well have outed some who indulge in violent behaviour, and for them, I have no sympathy. Behave badly, and you deserve all you get.

But by naming and revealing the identities of ALL those purportedly on the banned list, she has not only invited opprobrium, but opened up a potential can of worms.

There are already allegations that some of the names are incorrect, while some are reportedly underage. Others are not necessarily guilty of criminal acts. It’s also believed some of the photographs published were taken from social media sites, and used without permission. On top of that, none of those listed had any course of redress for their bans via an appeal.

If that’s the case, then we would appear to have conviction by media without proper judicial process. That would be a very serious matter indeed, and litigation may well follow from some of those involved.

Senator David Leyonhjelm meantime, has already called for an investigation by the NSW Police Integrity Commission, to find out whether they are the source of the leak. If proven, it’s a serious breach of ethics on their behalf too.

950131-1e505148-9260-11e5-9bd5-25296245bfcc.jpg

Colour and excitement at a Wanderers game.Source: Getty Images

FFA absolutely refute allegations they leaked the confidential list - so unless it’s the police, that only leaves the stadiums and A-League clubs with access to such information.

Some are claiming the source is the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust. The SCG trustee list, incidentally, contains not a single person connected to football - that despite Sydney FC being Allianz Stadium’s biggest tenant.

There is undoubtedly much more to come on this story, but in the meantime, and in the absence of public comment from FFA (which in my view, sells the majority of fans short), what response should there be from football?

951037-12589d00-9260-11e5-9bd5-25296245bfcc.jpg

Get out and cheer your team this weekend.Source: Getty Images

In my opinion, the best response is to turn up in even bigger numbers to games this weekend. Be loud, and be proud of the world’s favourite game.

But we must also demand to see the names - and faces - of all those banned in the other football codes and cricket, so the public can make a fair comparison. Even if there are - as Wilson claims - only a handful, then so what? Let’s see exactly who they are, and what they get up to. #ShameonYOURgame anyone?

I’ll close with the best quote of this entire saga, which came from veteran broadcaster and football fan, George Donikian. It’s simple, but pithy.

“Words have consequences.”

Indeed they do George, and as we wait for the defamation cases, we can take solace in the fact that this current football-phobic generation, which controls so many spheres of public influence, will eventually retire, and be replaced by a more enlightened one.

It can’t come too soon.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Also (excuse the triple post):
Looks like the FFA have finally noticed that there's been something going on over the last few days:
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...a-ceo-david-gallop/1g435k3f139eh1ilaj9jd7ry19

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted me about a leaked list of 198 people banned from attending matches in the Hyundai A-League, my reaction was to say "what part of banning 198 people supports the allegation that FFA is in denial?
The existence of the list says it all. We have repeatedly and publicly said that we will identify and ban those who engage in anti-social behaviour at A-League matches. The list is the proof.

Since the publication of the story about the banned list, many in the game have pointed fingers about the list and how it came to be published.

The list is sent to clubs, venues and police to give them the tools to enforce the bans to protect the true football fans and the atmosphere they generate. Chances are we will never know who leaked the list and why they did it, but that's not the main issue. Suffice to say, it wasn't leaked by FFA.

The crux of the issue remains - when the people in charge of law and order in our nation - the various state police forces - identify an individual who has engaged in serious anti-social behaviour, we are compelled to act. We don't want those people at our matches

The rest of it was just pointless waffle....come to cause trouble you'll be banned, most fans are doing the right thing, we're all about the fans blah blah blah

Now.....I am absolutely furious at this. the fact that it took until Wednesday for the FFA to acknowledge a massive issue is itself, unforgivable. But this press release, it's absolutely disgraceful. Piss-weak - and it completely misses the point. Gallop was doing better when he wasn't responding, and that's saying something. He has literally said they don't give a shit about the leaks. Sorry, but the FFA does hold responsibility for the actions of its service providers and have an obligation to investigate and hold them accountable. I doubt he's even investigated it internally with the FFA - just a 'nah, can't have been us'. Spectacularly missing the point like this is absurd. While I'm disappointed he was so passive with Wilson's lies, I can understand being terrified of upsetting the media, not that I agree with it. But all the other aspects of it......so far, the FFA is handling this spectacularly poorly. And for all that harping on about how much he's for the fans, all he's showing by actions is that they don't give a shit about the fans, when the wrong thing has been done or even when large numbers of fans (including the largest supporters groups) have an issue and are desperately seeking some form of redress.

apparently Wilson had some sort of appearance on Sky last night too.

Luke

FFA had the chace this week to stick up for fans for once and have spectacularly missed the mark and in doing so have pissed off many people.That statement is a disgrace and completely misses the point while saying the leaks aren't the main issue? FMD.Walkouts,boycotts etc totally justified.It's about time they wake up and messages will be sent loud and clear this weekend.

FFC Mariner

FFA's biggest media partner is Foxsports. Who owns a majority share in them?

Newscorp - owner of the serial drink driving slags employer.

Follow the moeny young Luke, follow the money.

That release would have been discussed as acceptable, News have taken the photos out of the article.

Nothing to see here except a group of anti social twats who the FFA dont want in the game having a hissy fit and planning to walk out on their team in the middle of a game.

Game,set and match to "serial drunk driving slag"

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

If you think that this is nothing but 'people who got banned complaining and convincing some fools to support them' then I think you've missed the point of what's been going on....

FFC Mariner

Not really, but then I dont expect fairness, accountability and justice from the FFA. Not what they are there for.

Walk outs are the single dumbest response. Everybody turning up, growing the game and scaring the shit out of the haters is.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Well, by definition they'd have to be the second dumbest at worst. Boycotting is by far the dumbest :D

I disagree with your first sentence though.

Luke

FFA's biggest media partner is Foxsports. Who owns a majority share in them?

Newscorp - owner of the serial drink driving slags employer.

Follow the moeny young Luke, follow the money.

That release would have been discussed as acceptable, News have taken the photos out of the article.

Nothing to see here except a group of anti social twats who the FFA dont want in the game having a hissy fit and planning to walk out on their team in the middle of a game.

Game,set and match to "serial drunk driving slag"

I have no issue with the justified bans and any sane person wouldn't.If you want to have a scrap then go and join a fight club.
The issue is there is people who were exposed on that list who have no criminal conviction for their so called offence,are innocent and are minors who have been exposed the front page of a major newspaper.FFA having a system of having no right to an appeal has brought this on themselves.At the end of the day they should be responsible for the list and keep the pepole in line who have it.Gallops statement today is essentially a "it wasn't us,look over there"

What's happening this weekend has been building for a long time. FFA do a lot of talking TO but no talking WITH fans.

dibo

FFA don't have an appeal process for bans.

FFA could've responded sooner.

They're my two issues here with FFA.

They pale into insignificance compared to the actions of whoever leaked the list, NewsLtd and Wilson for her disgraceful smear on the listed individuals, the FFA and all football fans with that stream of rancid bile in Sunday's paper and Jones for his further disgraceful smear on the RBB.

I've no idea what a walkout is supposed to achieve other than be noticed, and have the commentators have to explain what's going on; it's not a self-explanatory action. Holding up big-arse banners would make more sense.

But hey, a walkout is more likely to get you ultras points on ultras-tifo.net so whatevs.

FFC Mariner

The FFA's lack of procedural fairness issue wont be solved by fans. I feel that they simply dont care what we think.

The only way it will be fixed is if/when someone joins them in an action against Wilson,Jones,News etc and wins. Which they very well might. Breach of Privacy provisions at the very least I'd think.

Crowd funding a class action would be the single most effective strategy

sydmariner

Not really, but then I dont expect fairness, accountability and justice from the FFA. Not what they are there for.

Walk outs are the single dumbest response. Everybody turning up, growing the game and scaring the shit out of the haters is.
it's not the 1st time that the RBB:poo: have done it

dibo

Separate out the issues there:

Complaint: People are banned who maybe ought not be banned
Issue: FFA have a process that might be unfair
Resolution: FFA should improve its process on bans

Complaint: Ban list has been published
Issue: Someone the FFA has (quite properly) given the list to has given it to a journo (quite improperly)
Resolution: ??? Unless someone owns up, it's very hard to know. Re-iterate to all recipients the confidential nature of the list?

Complaint: Column was a piece of ridiculous sensationalist garbage that potentially defamed 200 people
Issue: Rebecca Wilson shouldn't be trusted to know what do do with crayons and butchers' paper let alone a column in a shitty tabloid
Resolution: Don't buy shitty tabloids, affected parties band together and sue the f**king pants off the publisher (www.slatergordon.com.au or www.mauriceblackburn.com.au are your friends, guys).

WestofEast

Greetings from the West of Sydney

I was curious what you guys are thinking about the FFA leak, had a read, and thought I'd share with you my RBB experience.

I am 51 years old, was watching WSW matches casually in S1 from the non active area. Then my wife joined me, and we became non-ticketed members in S2. In January 2014 we received an offer from the club to upgrade to full membership in the RBB. Our first thought was to give it a miss because we didn't want to stand with the violent hooligans we'd heard so much about in the media, but in the end we did it.

Almost two years later I have to say that I am yet to experience any of this much talked about violence. The worst that has happened to me was a beer shower. Of course, if you count flare ripping as acts of violence then it is a different story, there have been a few. The terrace is safe, people are friendly, there's families with children. Two of our girls and their boy friends have since joined in with these acts of hooliganism.
As an ex-police officer, what struck me was both the police presence, the eye balling, and the outlandish behaviour of some police officers. Tall anglo guys having an eye on a multicultural crowd. At times it was oppressive at Pirtek as well as Gosford and Newcastle.

The media is happy to talk about the bad apples amongst the RBB, but never about bad apples amongst police and security. In April this year I witnessed how a supporter was accidentally pushed off the chair by a police officer. There was no provocation or resistance by that guy. Instead of an apology he got arrested and charged with assault. The police never showed up to the court hearing, and so the case was dismissed. However, the stadium ban for that guy still stands. Life for me as a supporter was never the same after that.

Then came the infamous pepper spray incident in R27. I watched the two riot police officers as they were pushing and shoving their way through the crowd. As I have a fair bit of riot police experience myself I knew their were asking for trouble, and fair enough, once they'd boxed themselves into a corner they felt they had to pepper spray their way out of it. Several RBB members received bans as a result of that example of police work. To this day I believe that the riot police was present in such large numbers in a game against Perth to press buttons, and they sure got a reaction. But that's only my private opinion, of course.

Being a tall Caucasian man the police leave me alone (although I had a female police officer half my age shouting at me for standing at the pavement, waiting for the match to arrive!?). I do wonder though how different my experience might be if I was in my late teens and of middle eastern appearance.

You may want to keep all of this in mind when we walk out of your stadium on Sunday. We feel we have reason to.

dibo

I don't doubt for a second there have been people unjustly banned who would benefit from there being an appeal process.

I also don't doubt that Police have been briefed that WSW games are basically a warzone so they should approach with maximum hostility (shitty policing, but our eyes don't lie).

Unfortunately I also don't doubt that there are plenty of people for whom an appeal process would not see bans lifted: actual violence, flares, destruction of stadium property - we've seen all of that in greater extent from WSW supporters than any others.

It will be a rump of people, vastly outnumbered by people like yourself, but the media don't care about the rule, only the exceptions.

And I still don't think a walkout is self-explanatory.

*We* will understand it because we're immersed in football media and social media but a 'casual fan' probably won't.

I can't help but think there could be better forms of protest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred