• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

North Qld

Will they be successful

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loyalist

marinersman said:
As well as Farina and Corica, they've produced Michael Thwaite, Tahj Minniecon and Wayne Shroj and Christiano Ronaldo and Del Perio (just checking to see if you're still reading).
The shit cousin of Del Piero?

Auburn Mariner

fedelt said:
Auburn Mariner said:
AND IT'S NOT GayFL, you muppets!!! Come and play a game with me, ONCE, and tell me it is soft. Actually, are Kareem & keensy available  ;D.....

can you even run?

Ah yes, now I have lost 20kgs, I regularly play tennis with my son. I have played a game of Football at Tempe against the Cove lads (there were witnesses). I can't run fast, but I can move.

For the record, I played 100 games of Australian Rules AND umpired 200. To be fair, my Orange Tiger teammates nicknamed me George Foreman and other teams the less pleasant "Homosexual Sperm Whale".

I have never moved fast, but Fedelta, I look forward to playing a game of SOMETHING against you in the near future.

FFC Mariner

Mutineers mate, me, you and Sacko as the back 3 from Hell.

Yes, they will get past us a lot but no one better come within range

:)

brett

marinersman said:
dru said:
Personally I think it will work, crowds may not be great when first starting but neither were ours. Fergie will go a long way of making it work by using the same formula that was used on with the Mariners. I dare say you didn't talk to any football people while you were up there but I think the enthusiasm for the team will be immense in the North Queensland area. I dare say there will be a traveling contingent from Mackay for most games if the response to the Mariners playing in Mackay is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be surprised if a mining company got involved in sponsoring them.

Still a lot of small shit towns up that way.

I agree with Brett.

Good to see my reputation precedes me such that sensible, coherent posts such as dru's here get credited to me :)

fedelta

Auburn Mariner said:
fedelt said:
Auburn Mariner said:
AND IT'S NOT GayFL, you muppets!!! Come and play a game with me, ONCE, and tell me it is soft. Actually, are Kareem & keensy available  ;D.....

can you even run?

Ah yes, now I have lost 20kgs, I regularly play tennis with my son. I have played a game of Football at Tempe against the Cove lads (there were witnesses). I can't run fast, but I can move.

For the record, I played 100 games of Australian Rules AND umpired 200. To be fair, my Orange Tiger teammates nicknamed me George Foreman and other teams the less pleasant "Homosexual Sperm Whale".

I have never moved fast, but Fedelta, I look forward to playing a game of SOMETHING against you in the near future.

i retract my question
congrats on the turn-around
kutgw

TerrigalUtd

The funniest moment in Gold Coast's press conference came at the start, when Clive Palmer fluffed the big announcement of Jason Culina's signature:

"And so this morning we are announcing that, er, we have signed Justin, uh, uh, Jess Culina to come back here as our captain of the club in 2009/10."

Whoops! Miron raised his eyebrows and looked away, but nobody else in the room even sniggered. To be fair to the bloke, I think it was just nerves. I guess even billionaires get butterflies in their tummies when they are excited!

Clive said the decline in A-League crowds this season was disappointing, and compared it with high attendence at Socceroos games. He said the A-League should "take heed of what the people are saying."

"Australians want to see the best soccer," he said. "And they want to see their international team members back here in Australia."

Clive boasted that Gold Coast now had four Socceroos in the team, including Adam Griffiths and Michael Thwaite, and more wanted to join but could not because of the salary cap. He said Joel Porter should rejoin the Socceroos soon, and Jess Vanstrattan should be a Socceroo next year too.

"If we had the ablity, under the A-League rules, we could bring back three or four more Socceroos to play for Gold Coast United. Other clubs could too. So the A-League I think needs to reform itself and bring Australians the best soccer."

Palmer boasted that 13 of the 21 players that Gold Coast have signed have represented their country previously.

"So we've really got a team that can play anyone in the world, and we are not frightened of any club."

Palmer insisted that "the players you don't know are probably better than the players you do know in this team".

He said Jefferson was "nearly as good as Culina" while he described Robson as a "defensive midfielder that can kick the ball right up over the rest of the midfield and land it at the striker's feet."

Before opening the floor to questions, Palmer asked coach Miron Bleiberg if he wanted to say anything.

"Always!" said Bleiberg with a big grin, finally eliciting laughs from the press.

Miron talked about six months of "hard work". He told how he had gone to Brazil and left his money in the hotel safe, walking the streets with a plastic watch and ten dollars in his sock to watch "the real football in Brazil."

"I wasn't even flying First Class!" he explained.

"Well, it wasn't Economy either," Palmer hurriedly quipped. More laughs.

Miron said that the team now exceeded his original expectations. He thanked Clive for taking so much interest in the team, particurly during the global financial crisis.

After thanking the club's legal and media teams for their professional support, he singled out Branko Culina for playing an intermediary role over many months of protracted negotiations with son Jason.

He said Jason Culina's return in his prime was a watershed moment for Australian football.

"Don't take it lightly, but three or four years ago when we started the A-League, the best players that was ready to come here, the youngest of them would [now] be 38 and the oldest would be 45."

Palmer then explained why the club has not started marketing or selling memberships to date.

"We wanted to make sure that the people of the Gold Coast knew what kind of club they were getting, and what kind of players they would be supporting, and not just join the club out of blind loyalty."

He said fans would now be supporting Gold Coast United because of the excellence they will show on the pitch.

By this time Palmer was in his stride and talking at a fast pace. He said the club had a "unique opportunity at this point in time to remain undefeated in winning the A-League. And that's what our new goal is."

The press gallery burst into laughs, as did Miron.

"Did I turn white?" Bleiberg asked, touching his face. But Clive pushed on like a dog with a new bone.

"If we are defeated during the year," warned Clive, "Miron will be travelling economy class."

"I think on paper, our team is so much more experienced than anyone in the A-League. We all know a good team will beat a team of champions, but we think we've got the coaches to make our team a good team too."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/92798,palmer-wants-to-be-undefeated.aspx

sure likes talking his own team up

Rowdy

TerrigalUtd said:
"And so this morning we are announcing that, er, we have signed Justin, uh, uh, Jess Culina to come back here as our captain of the club in 2009/10."

...."nearly as good as Culina"

....Robson as a "defensive midfielder that can kick the ball right up over the rest of the midfield and land it at the striker's feet."

By this time Palmer was in his stride and talking at a fast pace. He said the club had a "unique opportunity at this point in time to remain undefeated in winning the A-League. And that's what our new goal is."

annnnnnd another Muppet enters the ring  :tv:

Ohhhhh fcuk me! can 'kick' it over a midfield...... this bloke def knows his shit  ::)

Sounds like we've got a Harvey Norman wannabe.

Nice work Clit....uh, uh Clive

dru

Sounds a bit like a certain Wellington owner when they first came on board, don't here to much from him nowadays so the circus should quiet down with a few injuries.

Gotta say I like Nth Qld a whole lot more than GC at this point in time

marinersman

brett said:
marinersman said:
dru said:
Personally I think it will work, crowds may not be great when first starting but neither were ours. Fergie will go a long way of making it work by using the same formula that was used on with the Mariners. I dare say you didn't talk to any football people while you were up there but I think the enthusiasm for the team will be immense in the North Queensland area. I dare say there will be a traveling contingent from Mackay for most games if the response to the Mariners playing in Mackay is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be surprised if a mining company got involved in sponsoring them.

Still a lot of small shit towns up that way.

I agree with Brett.

Good to see my reputation precedes me such that sensible, coherent posts such as dru's here get credited to me :)

Woops. Apologies to Dru and you Brett.

Don't worry mate, you're posts are also worth reading.  ;D Far more than a couple of serial posters on here who offer no more than smart arse, sarcastic, one sentence comments.

MattSimon

marinersman said:
Don't worry mate, you're posts are also worth reading.  ;D Far more than a couple of serial posters on here who offer no more than smart arse, sarcastic, one sentence comments.

Touche

Arabmariner

Rowdy said:
TerrigalUtd said:

....Robson as a "defensive midfielder that can kick the ball right up over the rest of the midfield and land it at the striker's feet."

annnnnnd another Muppet enters the ring   :tv:

Ohhhhh fcuk me! can 'kick' it over a midfield...... this bloke def knows his shit  ::)

He'll buy a pink helicopter next and sign Warick Crapper!

Atomic

Arabmariner said:
Rowdy said:
TerrigalUtd said:

annnnnnd another Muppet enters the ring  :tv:

He'll buy a pink helicopter next and sign Warick Crapper!

:piralaugh: I had exactly the same thought yesterday  :tophat:

dru

marinersman said:
Woops. Apologies to Dru and you Brett.

No need to apologise to me, I normally post the smart arse, sarcastic, one sentence comments so to be mistaken for Brett's comments is a compliment.

Out of curriosity I checked the forcast for the next week highs for gosford range from 22-36 with lows 13-19, townsville 29-31 for the highs and lows are 24-25.

neverwozza

On that note does anyone think our League will eventually move into the cooler months. When we expand to 14/16 teams there is going to be some overlap anyway and I'm sure the heat plays a big part in the quality of the football we see at times. Obviously there is the issue of shared grounds but at least they won't be doing turf maintenance in the middle of our season. I'm not sure what affect it would have on crowds in 5 - 6 years time. I would like to think our core support would be around the 12-13K mark and would choose a game of football over RL anyday. We also might be able to line up with Asia in that our current champion etc goes through instead of prior years. 

kevrenor

neverwozza said:
On that note does anyone think our League will eventually move into the cooler months.

Have you ever experienced games on a freezing cold, wet and windy July evening?

I bloody hope not!

ryan

I actually hold more hope for North Queensland than Gold Coast. The experience that Fergie had with the Mariners in terms of integrating into the community will serve him well. I'm sure that NQ will be a very similar set up to us and borrow heavily from the wisdom of Lyall and Co. Gold Coast on the other hand remind me of Sydneys arrival on the scene. Lots of big talk and showmanship but no real long term plans being discussed is a bit of a worry. Look at Sydney now dipping into the youth team because their policy of buy first ask questions later is failing. What happens when Gold Coast lose their first few matches and don't win the first season. Reassessing on the fly does not make good policy. How patient Clive Palmer is is also a crucial element. He is completely unrealistic if he truly expects them to not lose a single game. Will his interest remain if he does not get what he wants? His club will be playing against sides who have had years together to gel.

Redline

Have to agree with the sentiments that Fury will do well. Their team looks imporessive on paper, and Fergie has a good grounding in building the club up amogst the community...and it will be interesting to see how many of the initiatives that have been implemented with the Mariners...the fan days, the junior club patron stuff etc, will be implemented with the fury.

THe GCU however...I dunno. The whole area is very fickle with theirs sportsteams as have been proven in the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred