• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

'Non Central Coast" Mariners

headcase

Apparently there is a move by the Board (read Turnbull and Conway) to drop the "Central Coast" from the Mariners name as it not good for global branding.

This came up in discussion at the table Gorman was on at the dinner during the FIFA Congress.

Now I know they have to broaden their supporter base, but is it worth it at the expense of their core supporters.

They were admitted to the A League as a regional side, backed by local people, local association and  local businesses. I wonder how Central Coast Tourism, Business Central Coast and both Councils will react to this proposal, not to mention the thousands of Central Coast fans and players.

Its one thing building a brand - completely different abandoning what got them there in the first place.

kevrenor

headcase said:
Apparently there is a move by the Board (read Turnbull and Conway) to drop the "Central Coast" from the Mariners name as it not good for global branding.

Ideas are floated, even at board level, I am sure ... but even as a Sydneysider I wouldn't support it at all!!

clarence

A club has to be from SOMEWHERE for f**k's sake!

Sure the names get shortened when the clubs get famous i.e. United meaning Manchester United, but there's still many a club known by it's locale even though their 'brand' reaches far and wide. (Chelsea, Boca Juniors, Inter Milan etc.)

My 2c worth of advice for Lyall would be to leave it as it is, and stop trying to muck around with something that has been quite successful to date.

loyalist

ffa wont let it happen

they wanted northern thunder to become north queensland thunder as they want all clubs/franchises to be location based

Tassiemariner

They change "Central Coast" with "Tasmanian" if they want :p .

But seriously you can't drop the location of the team from the name. It losses the identity of where your team is from.
You would have to go on wikipedia/google too find out where the bloody hell whe come from.

This is never going too happen like that rumour of us moving to North Sydney.

If you did this in england every team would be called United FC or City/Town FC.

Tez

i really cant see this happening for many different reasons, mainly because so many people would appose it - The FFA, Both city Councils, the Sponsors And The FANS, i think you would find many in the Playing Team would be against this as well.

really is a silly idea.

Arabmariner

You only have to look at "SUPER 14" rugby to see what a stupid idea this is.

Sharks v Stormers, Hurricanes v Force etc.

No one knows where the hell any of the teams are from.Not that we care anyway but you get the point!

:redcard:

marinerbhoy

will tear up my membership if this happens. i really dont like the direction turnbull and gorman are looking towards. kind of scary when i think about what they are discussing to do with the club

yellowcake

Foriegnmariner said:
They change "Central Coast" with "Tasmanian" if they want :p .

We could move there and not even have to change it! Isn't that bit between Burnie and Devonport called the Central Coast (I took a pic of the sign ;)). I've also got a copy of Central Coast Homes - a real estate guide for the area between Monterey and Santa Barbara, Ca.

yellowcake

Seriously, stuff a couple of directors chuck around is a loooong way from anything that would ever see the light of day. It's a pity something that's a nothing oozes out and gets a reaction.

I think the club management, team and most on the board know as we do that amazingly the  Central Coast is not the same place as it was 3 years ago, in terms of identity and pride because of the Mariners. It would be hard to find a bigger acolade for a new venture's impact on its location and they won't lose sight of that.

If they have, hopefully they read the forum so I can remind them ;)

Auburn Mariner

Central Coast - STAYS. Remember that ONE of the original names for the club was the Pacific Mariners - gimme a break.

FYI, Super 14:

Stormers, Western Province, Cape Town
Cheetahs, Free State, Bleomfontein
Gauteng Lions, Gauteng, Johannesburg (at the magnificent Ellis Park)
Northern Bulls, Northern Gauteng (formerly Northern Transvaal), Pretoria
Sharks, Kwa-Zulu Natal, Durban
Crusaders, Canterbury, Christchurch
Highlanders, Otago, Dunedin
Chiefs, Waikato, Hamilton
Blues, Auckland, Auckland
Hurricanes, Wellington, Wellington (at the Caketin, home of the Phoenix).

FFC Mariner

Agreed, Mariners is a quite stupid name IMHO and only panders to the marketing suits.

Central Coast FC or something similar sounds like a real football club. The others are no better (except SFC who have avoided a silly name).

I mean Newcastle United Jets is even stupider.

Cant see the CC being dropped while our sponsors are the 2 councils though

Yellowbeard

Turnbull & Gorman are worrying me. Seems stupid to try and change a successful club and alienate 90% of the fan base (the central coast).
Same thing with the Bonish signing if they are sticking their noses in as has been suggested elsewhere. Let Lawrie do his job.
It might be their money, but it's our team...

Ursus

Yellowbeard said:
Turnbull & Gorman are worrying me. Seems stupid to try and change a successful club and alienate 90% of the fan base (the central coast).
Same thing with the Bonish signing if they are sticking their noses in as has been suggested elsewhere. Let Lawrie do his job.
It might be their money, but it's our team...

You let some unsubstantiated rumors start to worry you about what is probably the best management in the A-League. ::)

I worry more about how most are easily influenced by rumor and innuendo rather than solid facts, not only on this board but in the general population. :p

Keep reading the Telegraph, listening to talk back radio and watching commercial tv and remain frightened.  :mad:

I suggest you leave a light on while sleeping if you are afraid of the dark.  ;)

Ursus

I heard that Lyall told Turnbull while they were having dinner at Iguana's in the company of Sep and George Bush....... :headbutt:

dibo

Celtic FC? Rangers FC? Arsenal FC (though this is derived from the Woolwich Arsenal, which they don't play anywhere near anymore...)? Crvena Zvezda (Red Star)? Internazionale? Hearts of Oak? The Strongest? ...

There are lots of clubs whose name does not refer to their home city or town. that said, I think the Central Coast is the club, the club is the Coast, they'd be idiotic to drop it.

When the club started up, I made a decision to support the Central Coast because it's where I'm from and in football terms particularly it's a big part of who I am - I was a Dragon for my first 11 footballing years.

Had they been 'Mariners FC' playing out of Gosford for the moment and who knows where in the future, I would have saved myself the 4hr round trip every matchday and gone to Moore Park instead...

serious14

dibo said:
I would have saved myself the 4hr round trip every matchday and gone to Moore Park instead...

Yeah, but they don't play football there anymore - some sort of horrid attempt at it, but at best, a miserable fail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred