• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Nobody Screws Soccer Like 7 --- 7 wins rights to broadcast Man U & Liverpool

midfielder

Great outcome for football - tremendous exposure and really elevates the league.

Agree and me thinks ... Gallop's idea around the all stars is around brand building and A-League promotion..

IMO, it would be unreasonable to expect any one exhibition match to have any long-term impact on the A-League’s popularity.

My expectations .... are for these exhibition match's to simply continue to push the A-League brand into the mainstream vernacular of the AUS sporting landscape.

The basic objective of any brand strategy..... is to get the brand name spread widely across the target demographics... (for A-League, the target demographics are people, who love the sport of Football).

Having the A-League on SBS ... next season will help with this brand strategy .... quite simply, SBS is the television brand that is synonymous with football... CH 7 is promoting SBS and the A-League...

By having ManU & Liverpool come to AUS, gets to spread the A-League brand to football fans, who don’t have any connection with the A-League.

I don’t expect these exhibition matches to make new fans fall in love with the A-League today, or tomorrow.... Rather, they’re meant to get the A-League brand into the minds of the whole AUS football community... So whenever people think of AUS football: they think “A-League” as well as “Socceroos”

Getting it on Ch 7, who putting it lightly have not been Football's friends .... to promote the A-League and by brand awareness the SBS broadcast is very very very clever... the rating also mean that the same will happen next year ...

Such a pity we did not get Gallop when JON left as was the want of FL at the time....

Forum Phoenix

LMAO reading the fallout on 442.

Everyone just wanted to sed MU score a bagful and i doubted it would have mattered what 11 the HAL played.
Game was a huge success. 83K happy people is what I saw. Beauchamp look a bit pissed mind you. But he always does.

midfielder

From a founding member of the axis of evil ... [ch 7, 3AW, Herald Sun]

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...ts-kicking-goals/story-fni0ffsx-1226683984936
Soccer is the game that's kicking goals
NEVER before has Australian rules football been under such threat from the international game we refer to as soccer.
The number of young people playing the game has been growing for years, to the point that there are more young Australians playing soccer than Australian rules.
Of course, the level of participation falls off when our youth reach the ages of 15 or 16, when meaningful competition decreases and more opportunities exist in Australian rules.
There are several reasons for the build-up in the popularity and participation in soccer. Australia is increasingly a multicultural community. As more people join us from Asia, Europe, the African and Middle Eastern countries, where soccer is the only form of football played, so too have participation levels increased in Australia.
International soccer has been receiving much more media attention in Australia in recent times, which is increasingly popularising the sport. Australia having again qualified for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil means soccer will carry all before it until that competition closes on July 13, 2014.
The visits of international teams to play friendlies against our national team, or the arrival of English clubs such as Manchester United or Liverpool to Sydney and Melbourne respectively, adds a tremendous buzz.
Last week there was a full house in Sydney, where Manchester United played a local all-stars side, and tonight is a full house at the MCG where Liverpool will play Melbourne Victory.
Huge publicity, the sale of merchandise and the memories generated will increase the participation of soccer in Australia.
Finally by way of evidence, even at one of our more established private boys' schools, the number of students playing soccer is greater than those playing Australian rules -- something I would once have thought of as unimaginable.
This represents a massive challenge for Aussie rules. But Australian soccer is not without its own challenges if it is going to maximise its opportunities. Having in large part thrown off its ethnic foundations, it is now run by a Sydney-centric board, when it is a national game.
The president of Football Federation of Australia is Frank Lowy, one of the founders of Westfield. Mr Lowy is a very successful businessman and has a deep passion for soccer. He has been very important in growing the competition here.
The board of eight who administer soccer with Mr Lowy are, with one exception, Sydney-based and in the main are individuals who have, or had, long commercial or personal relationships with him. So the FFA has a governance challenge.
Of the 10 clubs in the A-League, perhaps only one, Melbourne Victory, is at better than break-even position. The rest require funding from governments, the Australian Sports Commission or the FFA to trade and compete.
It's similar to the AFL where, of the 18 clubs, perhaps only seven or eight are financially independent of the AFL.
So soccer also has an economic challenge.
Thirdly, although soccer has more people playing, many drop out in their mid-teens or go overseas to advance their careers. So the challenge for the FFA is to readjust its governance for the next 10 years of growth and improve the economic viability of the game so its reputation and payments to players provide a career path in this country.
It would appear to me that soccer would be much better served by a single administration (like the AFL) operating from a financially viable model administered by a nationwide professional management.
But the complacency within the administration of AFL, the increasing financial dependency of most clubs on it, the dropping of standards of governance by the AFL and the hubris it demonstrates represent big opportunities for Australian soccer -- if it can get its house in order.
Recently, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said that outside England, the club sold more merchandise online to Australians than to any other community.
Our home-grown game of football is under threat. Not immediately, but the growth of soccer could result in a different landscape in 10 or 20 years.
The challenge for the AFL is to do what it does to the highest standards possible. No compromises on values and standards. The way it finally resolves the crises at Essendon and Melbourne, the financial viability of many clubs, the massive growth of its own administration and its fundamental wastage of money, just to name a few issues, will very much influence the growth of soccer in Australia in the years ahead.
Have a good day.
Jeff Kennett is a former premier of Victoria

midfielder

In the never world of old and new media ... if 7 was a surprise ... the home of those cough cough [OK I lie] fair minded folk on 2GB ...

Some new news … and stealing most of a post from gritXc on 442 … there is now an A-League hour on fossil AM 2 GB … http://www.2gb.com/shows/league-hour

Doesn’t matter how you dice it-this is GOOD news because it’s another wall that’s been smashed through.

Old media, as we’ve seen again and again regarding our sport in the last year, is less aligned with it’s vested interests as it scrambles to survive in the new age.

With 3.1 million people that either play or watch the sport in Oz it’s taken some of these dinosaurs to the inevitable point kicking and screaming-but they simply had to for overwhelming commercial reasons.

This follows Channel 7 & 9 that now classify our sport as FOOTBALL on their websites.

dibo

Coming back to an old bugbear of mine, this didn't come about through protests or petitions or angry letters to sports editors. This came about through our game being big and strong and well-run, and attracting interest.

Media outlets have far less interest in 'campaigning' against a sport than they do supporting the sports that make them money. If football makes them money (through ears and eyeballs, access to which they can sell to advertisers) then they'll support it.

midfielder

Coming back to an old bugbear of mine, this didn't come about through protests or petitions or angry letters to sports editors. This came about through our game being big and strong and well-run, and attracting interest.

Media outlets have far less interest in 'campaigning' against a sport than they do supporting the sports that make them money. If football makes them money (through ears and eyeballs, access to which they can sell to advertisers) then they'll support it.

I have similar views and err more towards we shot ourselves in the foot in the dark days more than the media wanted to kill off soccer... not saying that applies to AFL & NRL journalist but the broader media in general ...

You may find the attached link interesting http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/03/05/is-football-in-australia-at-a-tipping-point/ ... I wrote this in March this year and sent it to the Roar .... in one sentence a client of mine works for a huge Australian company ... his role is the manager of research and analysis regarding marketing and promotion of the company he works for... this company promotes itself a lot in various sports in Australia.... he is often in the room or close to the room when the big media deals are signed ... he says football is at a tipping point [his words in March this year] and to expect a change in media if crowd numbers, ratings, and net hits held and improved... Just saying this is what my client told me and he is a very very senior manager and knows a lot about sport...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred