• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Nobody Screws Soccer Like 7 --- 7 wins rights to broadcast Man U & Liverpool

midfielder

David G is said to be on Sunrise tomorrow to announce the broadcast..... I remember 7 buying the rights to the NSL and te famous email from 7 to the AFL where they said we brought Soccer and buried it for you and you have gone to 9...

For those that can remember ... http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR69s1_c9KyjHs7_kDwliEvZBh9vAm7kCffED1h8OQCCHPYf4bB

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...own-by-channel-7/story-fni2fopz-1226649383004

A-League friendlies involving Manchester United and Liverpool to be shown by Channel 7

THE A-League's free-to-air presence has increased after Channel 7 secured the rights to show both Manchester United's visit to Sydney to face the A-League All-Stars on July 20 and Liverpool's game against Melbourne Victory four days after.
The combined deals, which industry sources estimate to be worth close to $2m, came after Fox Sports, who had first and last refusal on both games, opted to pass.
It means an A-League presence on free-to-air TV for the first time since Channel Ten showed David Beckham's LA Galaxy against Sydney FC in 2007.
The deal with Channel 7 comes in the wake of a broadcast deal for the whole A-League starting with the coming season that has one game a week, every Friday night, shown on SBS, as well as all five games each weekend broadcast on Fox Sports.
It's believed that Channel Ten also bid to show the two showpiece games in July, which were sold independently of each other, but were outbid by Channel 7, despite its broadcast of AFL every Saturday night.
It's believed FFA CEO David Gallop will be on the Sunrise programme tomorrow morning to formally announce the deal.

OK Man U is today the bigger club but the KOB have the best song ... maybe the greatest comeback in the history of Football...

Tho this would go close

Lowlander

fill me in here please, I noticed a sign at the Soccer 5's club house with "The Kop" and just assumed it was a reference to Zwaanswijk and his ability to score with his head. Kop meaning head in Dutch. What is meant by kop and what is meant by HE in the statement "Liverpool HE"??

midfielder

Cough cough splutter holds chest because of strange pain... a member of the axis of evil [Ch 7, Herald Sun, 3AW] had the following article ... maybe the editor was away and the acting editor will never be acting editor again...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...right-to-the-top/story-fni0ffsx-1226667091528
SOCCER, football - whatever you want to call it - will become Australia's most popular sport in our lifetime.
I don't think it will ever usurp Aussie rules as No.1 in the southern states nor rugby league up north.
But nationally, soccer has real cut-through potential. And as a code that is already making claims to be the No.2 in each state, with strong following in the rest of the country, will it one day be able to boast it is our No.1 game overall?
I've grown up with English Premier League on TV, the development of the A-League, the Socceroos qualifying for World Cup finals and playing FIFA video games.
We played soccer during school lunchtimes because tackling, therefore footy, wasn't allowed.
To my generation, soccer is not only accepted, it is loved. And many of us are investing in the game with our hearts and wallets. Our children will grow up in homes where watching and playing soccer is encouraged.

But generations before ours have not always been so sympathetic to the World Game and, really, who could blame them?

The Socceroos weren't world beaters, the National Soccer League was a basket case and the game was barely ever on TV. And, as the late player and commentator Johnny Warren put it, only a certain type of person actually played the game.

But now soccer is the country's most popular junior participation sport according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Children who were aged from seven to 10 and took up soccer in impressive numbers when Australia qualified for the 2006 World Cup are now aged 15-18. They're getting ready to invest more time and money in the sport, too.
On November 18, 2005, two days after John Aloisi's penalty took us to Germany, Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan wrote a column headlined: "Win is great for Australia, but not so good for Aussie rules."
But, asked to revisit that yesterday, Sheahan said he didn't think the landscape had changed in the eight years since.
AFL, he said, was No.1 both in Victoria and nationally.
"And if soccer can't be the No.1 sport in any of the capital cities, I can't believe it can be No.1 overall," he said.
My future father-in-law, Peter Ross, is your typical country Victorian who has grown up on a steady diet of AFL and cricket.
"I was brought up to believe that Aussie rules is the Australian game and soccer was played by, in my town, the Scots and the Poms," he said. "You can have a 0-0 draw in soccer and it bores the s--- out of me. But we Australians like to see a bit of action, I believe, and I just reckon Aussie rules has a lot more going for it."
Pete will never call soccer "football". But at least he prefers soccer over rugby league and that may be why soccer can become the most popular national code without being No.1 in any individual state.
The AFL and NRL, despite the success of the Storm in Melbourne and Swans in Sydney, just don't have mass appeal in enemy territory. Mark Neeld's sacking barely rated a mention in Sydney this week, Blake Ferguson's axing from the NSW State of Origin squad fared likewise in Melbourne. But the Socceroos making next year's World Cup finals has been front and back page news across Australia.
Admittedly the World Cup is the pinnacle while the A-League is the code's bread and butter - and many people still can't get their heads around supporting a competition that is well below the standard of many leagues around the world.
But it's fast improving and so is its ability to draw crowd-pulling players, such as former Italy great Alessandro Del Piero at Sydney FC.
The momentum is building. Liverpool and Manchester United come to Australia next month and they will be followed by another cracking A-League season - the first on free-to-air TV - followed by a World Cup and then, six months later, the Asian Cup in Australia.
That can only bring across more of the unconverted.
Soccer is not Australia's dominant football code yet. But there is no reason why it can't be in my lifetime.
Matt Windley is a Herald Sun sports reporter

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
what numbnut, halfwit, dipshit f**kwad thought it was a good idea to give the game to a tv channel that the AFL has in their back pocket AND has a diabolical history of miserable soccer presentation in its past ?...

dibo

They'd be the people who took the highest bid. If they want our product and are willing to pay the biggest buck, we sell. That's not to say that the conditions of sale might not include that there are certain requirements attached to the broadcast - live, no ad breaks, etc.

If we're in a position to set conditions like this and extract $$$ from commercial broadcasters, explain to me *why* we shouldn't take their cash?

BrisRecky

i'm all for taking their cash ...but its 7...i still got a bad
taste in my mouth from the failed NSL broadcasts

sydmariner

i'm all for taking their cash ...but its 7...i still got a bad
taste in my mouth from the failed NSL broadcasts
yes it was bad but I did like the fact that they only ever showed northern spirit home games although I went to all the home games & didn't watch them on tv also they weren't shown live

BrisRecky

I seem to remember a highlights show being on at 2 in the fkn morning...yeh, they REALLY wanted soccer on their channel

dibo

I seem to remember a highlights show being on at 2 in the fkn morning...yeh, they REALLY wanted soccer on their channel

Two things are different here:
  1. This is a product that networks actually want to have on their air and which will rate.
  2. Following on from 1, the FFA is in a position to negotiate conditions on the rights. One would assume that if the conditions are not met, the rights are forfeit and go back to market.
This is because the Socceroos and the A-League are both better products than what was on offer 10 years ago - and 2 million people watched the Socceroos the other night and 300,000 watched the A-League Grand Final.
The FFA, though much maligned, is *far* more professional than Soccer Australia ever was.
If you have noticed that what's on offer on the park has changed, and you've noticed that what's happening off the park is different, then what makes you assume that nothing has changed in the commercial space?

FFC Mariner

Lets face it, Ch7 or any FTA network will provide an awful viewing experience as they have NFI about the game and will try to package like they do their main sports. It will be horrible.

Expect pull through ads for Home and Away, some ALF commentators and horrible phrases drawn from the other codes.

The Socceroos drew more viewers that the Lolabies - that will set alarm bells ringing

BrisRecky

you got me Dibo...I expect the transmissions to be par exellance..... BUT I am still mildly outraged at 7's attempt oh those many years ago
;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred