• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Media Deal

dibo

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ffa-a-league-tv-deal-in-strong-position-441168

As TV ratings sky rocket by 30 per cent head of A-League Greg O’Rourke says FFA is in a strong negotiating position for the next broadcast deal.

The next broadcast arrangement will start from the beginning of the 2017/18 A-League season with the current arrangement with Fox Sports and SBS to conclude this campaign.

Negotiations for the new deal started in October.

O’Rourke said the Tim Cahill factor combined with the derbies provided a massive boost for the A-League.

“Time will tell in respect to the financial impact it has on the broadcast deal but it couldn’t have been a better start for us in respect of being able to put us in strong negotiation position,” he said.

“The fact that we can show our broadcast is up year on year by 30% has got the interest of the people who are out in the tender process in respect that they’ve seen a growth league.”

With Tim Cahill’s presence helping increase attendances and viewing figures, O’Rourke said the possibilities of more big name players coming to the A-League was the competition's major selling point.

“It’s part of many parts of the fabric of the deal,” he said. “In respect to why we would encourage the interest of the broadcaster by telling them that we are going to be bringing new news to the game and new news to the game will be from marquee players.”

O’Rourke said expansion would be part of the good news story the FFA would be selling to potential bidders.

“Again it’s part of the conversation,” he said. “We are also talking about bringing in new news not at the beginning of the broadcast deal of four years but within it. The potential to bring new news in respect of new teams which is a positive story with both free to air and from subscription TV.

“Because the subscription TV providers are also looking for new markets and new viewers.”

And while negotiations are fresh, FFA have spoken to all commercial networks with a look to broadcasting two games a week including derby games on free-to-air.

“Of course, they are mainly interested in getting the biggest and best games broadcast,” O’Rourke said. “But that no doubt will be part of the negotiation going forward in respect of how many and whether the so called big games, the derbies are part of that package.”

With the Socceroos, Asian World Cup qualifying games currently broadcast on the Nine Network, O’Rourke said it doen't mean the A-League will be added to that arrangement as well.

“I don’t think that seeing the Socceroos games through Channel Nine that there is any leaning of the free-to-air partners,” he said. “What I do think is having it on a commercial network is actually stimulating competition. As people see the impact of our game on free-to-air whether it be on Channel Nine or any other Channel other people are saying that they’d like a piece of that.
Businessman negotiating a deal in talking up their strengths shocker!

There's really not a lot of new info there.

dibo

I'm with them, they're fine, and the on-demand football has been great because frankly I can't be arsed staying up to all hours watching games anymore. But the few games I have watched live have been a decidedly underwhelming experience, as I'm right out on the limit of my exchange and my ADSL2+ ain't particularly quick.

If I actually lived in the flat that the missus and I bought in Gosford I'd have no complaints as I'd have NBN fibre...

Wombat

Sorry Vodafone.
My wife's phone is with them and she never complains, which is unusual:(
So on second thoughts Vodafone.....you are boss.
Telstra are good when its smooth sailing but an absolute clusterf**k when you have a problem.

midfielder

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ffa-tv-deal-done-in-two-months-442010

FFA CEO David Gallop said he hopes to sign off a new A-League TV deal within the next two months.
Football’s governing body is currently negotiating the next four-year cycle of the TV rights deal due to start for the 2017/2018 season with potential expansion teams also part of the discussion.

Speaking to EON Sports on our FourFourTwo Saturday program, Gallop said the next broadcast deal could be sorted out soon.

“I’m hopeful we’ll get some resolve over the next couple of months,” he said.

“The timing is still going to take a little while. We’re through an exclusive negotiating period with Fox Sports, and now we’re moving into a phase where were talking to everyone.

Gallop said that potential expansion teams were part of the negotiations as well.

“It will certainly be something that we look at,” he said. “It’s not just about an ability to demonstrate an ability to be sustainable in your geographical location.

"We are interested in places that will help us grow our broadcast revenue, grow our national sponsorship revenue and we’ll talk to broadcasters about expansion in the next period.

With Optus having the Premier League rights and the commercial TV networks also interested, Gallop said the FFA was hoping the deal would find a balance.

“It’s about both [reach and revenue],” he said. “We all know that the game is in need of more revenue.

"That’s not only for the A-League, but to fund our grassroots programs, to fund our national team’s programs - in every area, the game needs more revenue.

“It’s also important we grow the reach of the game. We’re interested in commercial free-to-air coverage of the game because that is still the number one way people are going to consume your product and we all know the power of getting ourselves on a commercial network.

"That will give us the reach but we’ve also got to make sure we protect the ability to raise revenue as well.

“Particularly when free to air broadcasters see our big games - big games like derbies, games like Sydney teams versus Melbourne teams - that there is an appetite there and we are pleased with the amount of interest that we’ve had.”

midfielder

Good article about Optus from the fin review

http://www.afr.com/business/media-a...ith-chief-executive-allen-lew-20161111-gsn6ni

For Optus chief executive Allen Lew, the English Premier League is just the beginning.

Sitting inside Optus Sport headquarters at the telecommunications company's offices in Macquarie Park, Sydney, surrounded by television screens bringing in live feeds of football, cricket and data across its distribution channels, the Arsenal fan outlines his vision.

"There is a saying 'the future of video is mobile' and I believe more than that, the future of mobile is video. That's where we have made a big bet. It is not the only bet we will make, next year we will be talking about other things we'll be doing," Mr Lew told The Australian Financial Review.

"Right now, we are very unidimensional, we're just focusing on soccer fans … this is the start for us. It was a sizeable investment, we wanted to prove to Australians that we can do it, we've now proved it, we've done cricket, next year we'll be going beyond that."

Mr Lew said Optus is likely to stick with niche content.

The investment was a big one; Optus swooped on broadcast rights to the EPL last year, agreeing to pay $189 million over three years, or around $63 million per year, understood to be more than double the $20 million Fox Sports was paying.

"When we look at the number of customers that we have got and people who are engaged with Premier League, it's way above our business case, or what we thought we would get to justify paying for the Premier League," Mr Lew said.

Investing in a signal

In the quarter, Optus added 107,000 of its own branded mobile customers, a record three-month amount for the telco. It added 91,000 consumer and enterprise business postpaid subscribers. Overall, it added 84,000 to its total mobile base, after churn in prepaid. Optus did, however, take a significant hit to profit in the quarter, partially related to the costs of launching Optus Sport.

Mr Lew said 6 million hours of EPL have been watched since the season began, each week more there are more than 1 million plays and there was an even spread across mobile, tablet and PC viewing versus big screen viewing – although longer viewing times where generally on bigger screens.

Optus has not been without critics in its approach to EPL and users have not been shy about sharing their problems on Twitter using the hashtag #OptusOut.

Mr Lew said Optus has put a lot of time into making sure the signal can be taken from ground in the United Kingdom, to Optus HQ and then out across a range of devices.

"We've managed to do that today, it wasn't an easy feat. We digitised the video signal to between 2 megabits per second and 5 megabits per second, depending on which type of carriage the network the signal is going through," he said.

"Depending on the device, we also use different types of encoding. Whether it's the modern day HEVC coding that you see on the Fetch Gen 3, or it's the older type of technologies."

Inside Optus Sport HQ, staff can see how feeds are working across devices, how many people are watching as well as the average time taken to fix a user's problem all live over a match day.

"When people have better and better internet, of which NBN is a big part of that on the fixed line, I think that will certainly allow our strategy to be executed even better than what it is today," Mr Lew said.

"Hopefully those people who are in areas that don't have NBN are able to get a reasonable signal, it may not be HD, but at least it's reasonably good. Obviously, with faster and faster broadband and the roll out of NBN it makes it better for us, so we can start to encode at higher rates and people can get a much better signal and we can talk about even going into 4K."

dibo

Everyone remembers "Nobody screws soccer like 7", right?

The reason that the NSL was buried in midnight timeslots was to protect the Optus Vision subscriber base, because Channel 7 and Optus partnered to deliver C7 Sports and they had exclusive rights to show things live...

We've got to be really careful not to trade money for reach - Gallop gets this (as indicated in the earlier article) but I think there's got to be a point at which FFA goes "you know what, that's a f**king truckload more cash than we'll get elsewhere"...

I'm sure figures will show that far fewer people are watching the EPL this year than last, because it's harder to get to and it's crappier to watch. The simple fact is that streaming *isn't* great for live sport. Our internet connections aren't good enough here. It's great for on-demand replays etc., and in this space Optus is excellent.

The one space they might do better is with kids who aren't masters of the remote control at home who want to watch football (especially replays and especially on a small screen) when the rest of the family wants to watch something else.

But for live (like properly live, not delayed by 5 minutes because you need to buffer it up and with quality coming and going) HD sport on full-size TVs it's no substitute for traditional TV broadcast.

Tevor

I have a feeling Optus maybe more of an option for the next media deal than the current one under negotiation. Not sure the NBN is the silver lining they are expecting either as I've heard from others who have it (I don't yet) that is no faster than what I've got now. I think Oz is a long way off having anything remotely live on 4K with our infrastructure.

Fox does a pretty good job with coverage at the moment say for a couple of their commentators and couple that with a FTA and the HAL will be in a good position for the duration of this media deal. You can always mute them however I like ripping into them about their stupid comments, much to wife's displeasure.

midfielder

Very interesting article from the Fin Review

The battle for soccer broadcasting rights could be wrapped up by Christmas, with broadcasters this week receiving tender documents from Football Federation Australia requiring bids to be lodged by December 9.

In a surprise move, FFA has given the broadcasters a little over two weeks to bid for a new deal covering at least four years from mid-2017 onwards which could reap up to $80 million annually - double the figure now being paid.

It is understood at least a dozen broadcasters and other media companies have signed confidentially contracts with the FFA to receive the documents.

Current rights holder Fox Sports holds a "last rights" clause for the next deal, meaning it can match any offer that FFA is able to attract from other networks. The governing body is particularly keen to sell at least some A-League rights to one of the big three free-to-air commercial networks for the first time in the competition's 12-year history. SBS currently simulcasts one match on Friday nights on its secondary SBS Viceland (formerly SBS 2) channel.

While Fox Sports is in the box seat to maintain a hold on most of the rights, FFA wants a free-to-air partner and to also sell digital rights to a telecommunications company such as Optus, which holds English Premier League rights and wants more sports content, or Telstra.

Going to the market quickly could mean FFA has been given an indication in recent weeks that at least one free-to-air bidder is keen to buy some rights, though it also means the sport is moving rapidly to strike a deal before Cricket Australia formally begins negotiations on a new lucrative deal for test cricket, limited-over international and Big Bash League rights in early 2017.

FFA is understood to be being advised by Adara Partners, a corporate advisory firm that engages high-profile investment bankers to work on deals from which the fees derived for their services are ultimately donated to charity.

The tender documents reveal FFA is in the market for A-League matches, as well as Socceroos home friendly internationals and the first two rounds of World Cup qualifiers. The last and current round involving the Socceroos is sold directly to the Australian market by Lagardere Sports, which in October sold the rights to Fox Sports who in turn sold free-to-air rights to Nine Entertainment Co to show on its Gem digital channel.

Multiple options have been listed in the tender, across free-to-air, pay-television and Over The Top digital streaming. One requirement for a free-to-air broadcaster is to show a Saturday evening match on its primary channel, though live finals series matches are also included.

FFA is also offering Matilda's women's national team matches, the W-League and some international club friendlies held on Australian soil.

There is also an option for more matches to be included in the deal if FFA moves to expand the number of teams in the A-League, presumably in return for a high rights fee. An additional match could then be shown on free-to-air.

FFA chief executive David Gallop recently revealed the league would release the framework for expansion and invite bids for new team licences early in the new year.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/f...up-by-christmas-20161122-gsvd2h#ixzz4QnUytAZx

dibo

I like this bit:

While Fox Sports is in the box seat to maintain a hold on most of the rights, FFA wants a free-to-air partner and to also sell digital rights to a telecommunications company such as Optus, which holds English Premier League rights and wants more sports content, or Telstra.

Having Fox *and* Optus would be completely awesome.

Big Al

I like this bit:

Having Fox *and* Optus would be completely awesome.
Telstra over Optus as they already a major sponsor and will get preferential treatment if they want digital rights. Foxtel will get the same. When Gallop was doing RL deal he stuck with Fox and nine when Ten wanted to free to air basically every game.

Foxtel loyalty over the 11 seasons will be rewarded and DG has history doing deals with them.

Could possibly why nine has turned up at the football table recently

midfielder

From 442... http://forum.insidesport.com.au/2456480/In-a-world-first-Twitter-wants-the-ALeague

Twitter is priming itself to play a central role on the upcoming battle for the rights to broadcast soccer in Australia, but has vowed it does not want to be a “disruptor”

Jonno Simpson, head of partnerships and food at Twitter Australia, told Mumbrella that the FFA broadcast rights hunt would be the first time Twitter had joined in the negotiation process for sporting rights locally.

The tender for the broadcast rights to the Hyundai A-League closes on Friday, with the FFA hoping to realise as much as $80m per season amid increased interest from free-to-air broadcasters.

The social media network has worked closely with the Seven Network in Australia, with its first major sports streaming event the Melbourne Cup, while in the US it has a $10m deal to broadcast the NFL’s Thursday Night Football.

More here:

https://mumbrella.com.au/twitter-readies-for-role-in-a-league-broadcast-rights-negotiations-413517

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred