• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

New Media Deal

FFC Mariner

Women's football is the single biggest point of difference our game has.
Hence the reason why both the NRL and Tardball are desperate to try to get womens versions going.
equal opportunity for both genders = pc bullshit?
classy

dibo

It's also why it's critical that we pay women players proper sums of money. They should be able to play as true full timers.

If women and girls see a career path, and the players who succeed graduate into coaching, administration, refereeing, etc., then we take a huge march on the other sports.

The AFL is going to pay their players, but not much. Women's rugby is even more limited despite Olympic exposure and a world tour - there's basically one 7s team that is professional. Women's RL is barely a dot. Netball is basically run as an offshoot of the AFL clubs, has practically meaningless international competition (we're playing NZ again? whoopee!) and it really only hits the girls and women demo - not that many blokes would sit down to watch a game.

Women's cricket is a proper thing, and it's pretty well organised and marketed. It's very watchable too.

We have a sport that literally the whole country understands, we have a national team that competes at Asian, World and Olympic level, we have a national league that is going into its 9th (?) year - if we were able to make the step into fully professionalising then we'd leave the other codes for dead.

Rowdy

The Mariners had a W-League side, then 'dropped it like a hot potato' - citing the costs/expenses were considerably affecting the clubs bottom line and were a detriment to CCM's long term viability (being situated in a small regional area of approx 300k population wise).
- The same claims of significant costs were 'cried' about the NYL
..... and it was temporarily scrapped
..... BUT now back on again.

Remaining W-League sides then switched to being funded by their respective State Federations (which is where the Canberra W-League side was funded solely from).

Not sure how the Federation funding currently stands, especially with WSW now making a 2nd womens team for NSW and doubling the potential $$ outlay ??

Pretty sure though that Melb.City 'fully fund' the Melb.City 'W-League' team, as they've 'bought' just about every quality player + overseas players they could get their hands on last season
....similar to their A-League modu$operandi.

What will be interesting, is to see how the PFA deal with the 'womens wage' debate, mainly in that the majority of PFA members that vote are the men who play in the A-League and $$$'s from the new TV deal will be for the televising of that League, it's NOT a deal for the Socceroo's, NOT a deal for the Matilda's or the W-League.

So in effect the player's of the A-League may see it as their 'earnings', & vote accordingly, likewise the A-League owners themselves ..... their pay-masters, who have first-up bought 'licences' direct from the FFA to operate in the A-League & then each invested 10's of Millions of dollars over the last 11 years.

Gallop just came out and said that
"They are all privately owned … and as such are ‘for-profit’ entities whose objective … is to act in the interests of their shareholders (and in doing so build the sales value of their asset) and not act in the interests of the game of football in Australia as a whole."

Rowdy

And I think its this statement:

"....act in the interests of the game of football in Australia as a whole."

that could come back to bite Gallop in the arse.

Once you put coins into the tin of one beggar, how do you justify not putting into the tins of all the other beggars ???

Because at the end of the day its CA$H & where does it come from ??? that's the dilemma for Gallop, Lowy & Co.

The FFA are going to have to decide which hat or how many different hats :popo::pirashoot::tophat::innocent: :redcard::tinfoilhat: it is going to wear when dealing with each of the combatants that are currently lining up to take a shot at them & the list is growing:
  • A-League owners
  • NPL Clubs wanting in
  • Matildas pay & sub-standard cond's
  • W-League players with the PFA
  • A-League players with the PFA
  • Socceroos, would they all agree to play for $0.00's for the equality of Aust women playing Football to earn some $'s. (it very well may come to that)
Oh & almost forgot:
  • FIFA "do as we say/not as we do"
  • AFC (bring us down a peg or 2)
To 'protect' what's been nurtured and grown in the 11 years of the A-League may require a continuing of the strategy that many others are claiming is a dentriment to the rest of the game in Aust, but to open it up may just open a can of worms that could ultimately 'kill' the A-League by siphoning monies away from the one area of Football in Australia at the moment that is finally earning it's pay
...... on it's own 2 feet.
(Which one could Devil Advocate & bring the equality aspect back 'fairly' into the argument) :popcorn:

It's a dead-set 'can of worms' with a 'Damned if they (FFA) dont'
relent the reins and a possible counter of
'Damn YOU FCUK'D UP the A-League because you did ! "

Last edited:

Wombat

And I think its this statement:

"....act in the interests of the game of football in Australia as a whole."

that could come back to bite Gallop in the arse.

Once you put coins into the tin of one beggar, how do you justify not putting into the tins of all the other beggars ???

Because at the end of the day its CA$H & where does it come from ??? that's the dilemma for Gallop, Lowy & Co.

The FFA are going to have to decide which hat or how many different hats :popo::pirashoot::tophat::innocent: :redcard::tinfoilhat: it is going to wear when dealing with each of the combatants that are currently lining up to take a shot at them & the list is growing:
  • A-League owners
  • NPL Clubs wanting in
  • Matildas pay & sub-standard cond's
  • W-League players with the PFA
  • A-League players with the PFA
  • Socceroos, would they all agree to play for $0.00's for the equality of Aust women playing Football to earn some $'s. (it very well may come to that)
Oh & almost forgot:
  • FIFA "do as we say/not as we do"
  • AFC (bring us down a peg or 2)
To 'protect' what's been nurtured and grown in the 11 years of the A-League may require a continuing of the strategy that many others are claiming is a dentriment to the rest of the game in Aust, but to open it up may just open a can of worms that could ultimately 'kill' the A-League by siphoning monies away from the one area of Football in Australia at the moment that is finally earning it's pay
...... on it's own 2 feet.
(Which one could Devil Advocate & bring the equality aspect back 'fairly' into the argument) :popcorn:

It's a dead-set 'can of worms' with a 'Damned if they (FFA) dont'
relent the reins and a possible counter of
'Damn YOU FCUK'D UP the A-League because you did ! "

Good post.

Wombat

Women's football is the single biggest point of difference our game has.
Hence the reason why both the NRL and Tardball are desperate to try to get womens versions going.
equal opportunity for both genders = pc bullshit?
classy

Haha....i've been pulled up by FFC. Now i'm smiling.:overheadl:

I've watched a fair bit of WL but if I was running the FFA and watching the bottom line.......not sure what i would do.

I can see Dibo's argument but i'm not convinced WL really puts bums on seats. Its cool though and I agree the ladies are far more likely to make a WC final, than the men.

I know its unlike me to make a rash, shiraz induced, sweeping statement....sorry if I offended any of the Mariners ladies.

dibo

It doesn't put bums on seats.

Yet.

The Matildas have only just got full-time equivalent deals this year. If the W-League players were paid full time and therefore able to be more engaged in the community work we're then able to double our community output.

If the W-League players and Matildas get greater exposure they become more marketable in their own right and then they will put bums on seats.

In the US, the women's team does at least as well as the men's side in interest, marketing, etc. The game as a whole benefits.

Rowdy

FACT: The USA Women's National Team generated more revenue than the Men's
.... & by a considerable amount, which was the basis of their arguments for a greater slice of the pie at NT level, and in this case rightly so imo.

Coincidently, the pay/conditions argument was spearheaded by USA womens stalwarts Hope Solo and Megan Rappinoe (who has also happened to have played in the W-League).

Solo, USA's #1 GK has sinced been given a massive 6 mnth playing ban from the US for publicly calling Rio Olympics opponent Sweden 'cowards' for their style of play (sitting deep & absorbing pressure) after losing & being knocked out of the Olympics by them.

Solo blames her outspokeness on the pay deal as a pay-back, & it would appear so
- for an opinion so benign as that. :rolleyes:

I've heard Refs called worst over an effects mic on live TV.

Rowdy

The Matilda's should be commensurate with the Socceroos imo, with incomes from sponsorships and ticket sales divided equally (they're NOT going to recieve EVERY dollar generated) so long as what's allocated is equal.

Likewise travel arrangements with hotels , first or business class seats and similar support staff no's, recon trips etc.

Play Football for Australia at primary school level - Represesenting your Country, and boys & girls are both afforded 'the same level' of funding and support.
- Why should it be any different at the other end of the Representative spectrum ?

The W-League wages to me is a totally different issue, because that's making a living off it.

$55k minimum wage from A-League standard - based on 'equality' !
.... when there are lucky to be 500 spectators (are they even paying spectators ?? OR just 'piggy-backing' &/or being subsidised by 'Free-entry' from your current CCM/A-League club memberships) ???

I'm sure every NPL1 player would like some of that 'equality'.

All 3 are basically - 3 different 'markets' despite people confusing it that its the same industry .... Football. When realistically each 'one' of them should be looked upon as products on the shelf of the supermarket of Entertainment ..... alongside WWE wrestling and Lawn Bowls on the ABC.

White bread
Wholegrain
& Artisan Organic Sourdough.

Each one earning $X.YZ's from what a consumer is prepared to pay for each respective product ...... the market rate.

There are lots of mens sports that DONT pay anything let alone an amount to satisfy making a living off, despite them being the best 'at it' in the country.

Its just a fact of life ..... or should I say the market.

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

The Matilda's should be commensurate with the Socceroos imo, with incomes from sponsorships and ticket sales divided equally (they're NOT going to recieve EVERY dollar generated) so long as what's allocated is equal.

Likewise travel arrangements with hotels , first or business class seats and similar support staff no's, recon trips etc.

Play Football for Australia at primary school level - Represesenting your Country, and boys & girls are both afforded 'the same level' of funding and support.
- Why should it be any different at the other end of the Representative spectrum ?

The W-League wages to me is a totally different issue, because that's making a living off it.

$55k minimum wage from A-League standard - based on 'equality' !
.... when there are lucky to be 500 spectators (are they even paying spectators ?? OR just 'piggy-backing' &/or being subsidised by 'Free-entry' from your current CCM/A-League club memberships) ???

I'm sure every NPL1 player would like some of that 'equality'.

All 3 are basically - 3 different 'markets' despite people confusing it that its the same industry .... Football. When realistically each 'one' of them should be looked upon as products on the shelf of the supermarket of Entertainment ..... alongside WWE wrestling and Lawn Bowls on the ABC.

White bread
Wholegrain
& Artisan Organic Sourdough.

Each one earning $X.YZ's from what a consumer is prepared to pay for each respective product ...... the market rate.

There are lots of mens sports that DONT pay anything let alone an amount to satisfy making a living off, despite them being the best 'at it' in the country.

Its just a fact of life ..... or should I say the market.
I agree, I'm all for equality and equal pay in women's sport and can see how female sportspeople struggle (my cousin was an Opal) to make ends meet but it all has to be funded and at the moment the W-League doesn't make enough revenue to justify higher wages. If Melbourne City can afford proper wages than that's the way it is, other clubs simply won't have the financial might to compete in that way. The Matildas are a different case however, I think there is more than enough money to give them at the very least a living wage if not more but it seems the FFA has gotten greedy.

dibo

Chicken and egg though, folks. If the players don't get properly paid, they'll never be able to drive the sort of revenue that "the market" would demand they generate.

But there's a risk that we fall victim to the idea that "the market" is neutral. It's made up of consumers who choose what to consume from a range of offerings, but that range of offerings isn't neutrally chosen. It's chosen by people who have their own tastes, preferences, even bias. They choose what they think should be broadcast by looking in the rear-view mirror at what's worked in the past. A lot of folks in sports media used to play rugby league or aussie rules or cricket, etc., and that feeds into their decision making.

That's why football generally has struggled to get a fair run, but now that we're up and running we've got a pretty strong, sustainable, professional league. We'd be either bonkers or morons to make women's football a hostage to exactly the same dynamic that held back men's football for so long.

Rowdy

The NSL was televised (not every game) & on free to air, so the dynamic of 'short-sightedness' to televise- wasn't considerable in holding the men's game back from growing.

NSL 'Efnic-Club' mentality was what truly held the game back in this country - in it growing the appeal to a wider audience, and Lowy was smart to eradicate that in creating the A-League.

As a result (going Geographical as opposed to entrenched history of Ethnicity) look what the A-League has achieved with just 10 teams. It doesnt even compare to the 20 something teams that the NSL had.

Sydney United's Sam Krslovic, fist thumping at the moment worries me of that return to 'old sokkah days', with all this mess of current A-League owners wanting to 'run-it-all' on their own.

They were clever to change from Sydney Croatia to Sydney United 58 BUT an A-League team running out in red & white blocked check is only going to be supported by Football fans with Croatian ties.

If Sydney United stump up the required ca$h to an independently run Australian Professional Football Clubs Association 'A-League', what the hell can the FFA 'hands off' then do about it ?

Do we really want to return to Bonnyrigg violence at Edensor Park screened live & exclusive on Foxtel ?
I dont. :popcorn:

Last edited:

midfielder

FFA CEO David Gallop says the omission of Socceroos games in the next broadcast deal will impact the value of the A-League's media rights.
The FFA no longer owns the media rights for competitive Socceroos games due to the Asian Football Confederation assigning them to its commercial partner Lagardere.

Aside from Socceroos matches, the Asian Cup and Asian Champions League will not be included in the television rights bundle.

Gallop believes it will allow the A-League to measure itself as a stand-alone entity.

“A new deal will at least give us the better view of what the A-League is worth,” he said. Because the other products are not going to be part of the package we are selling. Now that may have an impact on value but it’s just a matter of what we sold last time is not what we are selling this time.”

With the Australian national team games out of the equation, Gallop was tight lipped about what the FFA expected for the next broadcast deal.

“We’ve got to be confident about our value,” he said. “We are not necessarily putting a figure on it. It is a different package than what we’ve sold last time, we know the game is growing. And we know that this is a sport where an investment from our broadcasters will directly lead to more money for our clubs which means better playing rosters which means better quality.

“That is something that is unique about football and part of our value proposition is reminding potential media partners, that you make an investment in us you are making an investment into the future as well as the present content.

Due to the exclusive negotiating period with Foxtel having passed, Gallop said the governing body was in discussion with a number of groups.

“Obviously we move into a situation where we can test our value in the market and still keep talking to Fox and they are keen to keep talking to us,” he said.

“So there will be a lot of dialogue with a lot of parties and that is healthy for the game.”

Meanwhile the head of A-League Greg O’Rouke said the plan for the next TV deal could deliver more than one game to free-to-air television.

“Clearly for the A-League the strategy is to have a free to air partner,” he said to FourFourTwo. “Whether that means all games will be on free to air in the next broadcast deal I’m not sure. But we will be looking to at least have one if not more than one game on free-to-air TV.

“So the distribution of eyeballs if you like is much more broad spread than our current arrangement and allows families who don’t have access to that platform to be able to see it free of charge.

“We have full confidence that when somebody starts to sample or game that they’ll love it and they have the chance now to become members and attend games."

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/gallop-new-tv-deal-will-show-a-leagues-worth-439274

midfielder

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/10/17/league-seeking-bumper-tv-deal

David Gallop has trumpeted the Tim Cahill effect as a turning point for the game in Australia as Football Federation Australia ramps up negotiations over its next A-League broadcast rights deal.

The game's governing body is hoping to land a bumper deal on the back of the excitement generated by the Socceroos great's return to Australia.

Cahill's wonder goal in his Melbourne City debut on Saturday went viral across the football-loving world and gave the code a boost when it needed it most.

The FFA has begun the next stage of broadcast rights negotiations and is courting the major commercial television networks.

While FFA chief executive Gallop predicted a deal would take months, he couldn't be more pleased with the hype generated by the first fortnight of the 2016-2017 season, in particular the response to Cahill's arrival back in Australia.

"The timing is good for us, we're showcasing the game and the future of the game," he said.

"The future of the game is that it's going to get bigger and bigger.

"We know that it's got a massive participation base but we've got to grow that into fans of our clubs and demonstrate to media companies that that investment will not only pay dividends now but it will pay dividends into the future as this sport, the world game, gets bigger and bigger in Australia."

While it's only early days, Gallop trumpeted the fact A-League crowds are up 33 per cent on the same time last year while television ratings are up 44 per cent.

The round one Sydney derby was attended by a competition record crowd of 61,880 and watched by a television audience of 142,000 people.

The weekend's Victory v Melbourne City clash attracted 43,188 fans to Etihad Stadium and was watched by another 132,000 on TV.

Gallop said Cahill's popularity had the potential to grow the pie for the game which would have ramifications for Australian soccer's next broadcast deal as well as the expansion of the competition.

"I think the exciting thing is when you look across the competition you're seeing wonderful football being played," Gallop said.

"Australian players, imported players, the headline act (Cahill) getting a wonderful goal, there's a lot to look forward to."

midfielder

The new A-League head has just had an interview published…. full transcript here http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...-questions/o0j91su89w2q1ke7ylfz554ay#comments

This stood out for me it was a question and answer … I through FMD is this a sign we are leaving Fox for Optus…

Quwestion
That’s a fascinating point. How will the game be consumed in the future, do you think?

Answer
If you think about subscription TV and how it’s consumed and where it can be rolled out, it brings a natural restriction.

But if this game is going to be consumed through a Telco, it actually opens up a much broader application of consumption and therefore commercial ability.

The reasons now are very different to the reasons four years ago about where [to expand] because if you grab your phone or a device and watch a game, you could be anywhere.\

Question
So a consumer in Asia having a Telco with rights to the A-League could watch on their device?

Answer
We are more and more getting asked that question.

I have already asked our media guys to give me an answer in two areas of Asia in respect to inquiries people have who want to tap into our game from Hong Kong, Indonesia…

I think that’s the future.

midfielder

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/ffa-a-league-tv-deal-in-strong-position-441168

As TV ratings sky rocket by 30 per cent head of A-League Greg O’Rourke says FFA is in a strong negotiating position for the next broadcast deal.

The next broadcast arrangement will start from the beginning of the 2017/18 A-League season with the current arrangement with Fox Sports and SBS to conclude this campaign.

Negotiations for the new deal started in October.

O’Rourke said the Tim Cahill factor combined with the derbies provided a massive boost for the A-League.

“Time will tell in respect to the financial impact it has on the broadcast deal but it couldn’t have been a better start for us in respect of being able to put us in strong negotiation position,” he said.

“The fact that we can show our broadcast is up year on year by 30% has got the interest of the people who are out in the tender process in respect that they’ve seen a growth league.”

With Tim Cahill’s presence helping increase attendances and viewing figures, O’Rourke said the possibilities of more big name players coming to the A-League was the competition's major selling point.

“It’s part of many parts of the fabric of the deal,” he said. “In respect to why we would encourage the interest of the broadcaster by telling them that we are going to be bringing new news to the game and new news to the game will be from marquee players.”

O’Rourke said expansion would be part of the good news story the FFA would be selling to potential bidders.

“Again it’s part of the conversation,” he said. “We are also talking about bringing in new news not at the beginning of the broadcast deal of four years but within it. The potential to bring new news in respect of new teams which is a positive story with both free to air and from subscription TV.

“Because the subscription TV providers are also looking for new markets and new viewers.”

And while negotiations are fresh, FFA have spoken to all commercial networks with a look to broadcasting two games a week including derby games on free-to-air.

“Of course, they are mainly interested in getting the biggest and best games broadcast,” O’Rourke said. “But that no doubt will be part of the negotiation going forward in respect of how many and whether the so called big games, the derbies are part of that package.”

With the Socceroos, Asian World Cup qualifying games currently broadcast on the Nine Network, O’Rourke said it doen't mean the A-League will be added to that arrangement as well.

“I don’t think that seeing the Socceroos games through Channel Nine that there is any leaning of the free-to-air partners,” he said. “What I do think is having it on a commercial network is actually stimulating competition. As people see the impact of our game on free-to-air whether it be on Channel Nine or any other Channel other people are saying that they’d like a piece of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred