• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mike Charlesworth on the podcast.

sydmariner

monty-jpg.620

Attachments

• monty.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 74

Forum Phoenix

LOL

THIS and THIS:

Ask him why he owns a football club when he has no intention of his club competing at football.
Unless, that is, he intends to surprise us in the transfer window by buying even some players, ideally at a minimum of being A League standard just for a change (I'll fall off my seat of this happens)

GrA
  1. Blackadder
    Are the Mariners looking at bringing in players, other than state league players in the next transfer window?

And then when he says; I think we have lots of wonderful young players, that's our key focus etc...

PRESS HIM...but we have lost two very senior players... we are wooden spooning... it is not entertaining - your own 'MANDATE'. Having the youngest squad in the league is nice if all your paid members joined up because they want to promote youth empowerment, but that isn't why we are members. We are supportive of their ambitions and vision, but he knows CCM cannot become more financially sustainable with less supporters, and the writing is on the wall that they have clearly underestimated how much they need to invest in an A league squad to be both competitive and "Entertaining". This is a problem that can only be fixed by us finding a way to spend more on some players. Which will still probably see us retain our esteemed position of being the lowest spenders in the league. (Dibo or anyone?) Any idea how much could we spend and still be the lowest spending club in the HAL?

Last edited:

bikinigirl

LOL

THIS and THIS:

Ask him why he owns a football club when he has no intention of his club competing at football.
Unless, that is, he intends to surprise us in the transfer window by buying even some players, ideally at a minimum of being A League standard just for a change (I'll fall off my seat of this happens)

GrA
  1. Blackadder
    Are the Mariners looking at bringing in players, other than state league players in the next transfer window?

And then when he says; I think we have lots of wonderful young players, that's our key focus etc...

PRESS HIM...but we have lost two very senior players... we are wooden spooning... it is not entertaining - your own 'MANDATE'. Having the youngest squad in the league is nice if all your paid members joined up because they want to promote youth empowerment, but that isn't why we are members. We are supportive of their ambitions and vision, but he knows CCM cannot become more financially sustainable with less supporters, and the writing is on the wall that they have clearly underestimated how much they need to invest in an A league squad to be both competitive and "Entertaining". This is a problem that can only be fixed by us finding a way to spend more on some players. Which will still probably see us retain our esteemed position of being the lowest spenders in the league. (Dibo or anyone?) Any idea how much could we spend and still be the lowest spending club in the HAL?

. further to this the two things i really want to know are:
  • after it being documented in the mass media at the announcement of the last TV rights deal that the cap would be met in full and paid directly to the players to avoid clubs spending the money on things other than players salaries ... why are we not spending the full cap?
  • surely the vast majority of our players are at, or close, to the minimum salary so how can we even be spending the cap floor with the squad we have?

nearlyyellow

Ask him why he owns a football club ..
He made his motza in property development back in the UK, didn't he? I think his *passion* for football isn't deep enough for our needs, and it seems that his pocket isn't either :(
when he has no intention of his club competing at football.
Oh, look, I just saw something in the sky. Is it a plane? Is it a bird? No? Hmmm. :confused:
Moving-animated-picture-of-flying-pig.gif

Last edited:

nearlyyellow

Made his money out of *cough Premium Phone Services didnt he?
Yeah, you're right.
"Charlesworth, a businessman in his early 40s, recently moved to Australia from England on a full-time basis and has settled in Tamarama. He made his wealth in the telecommunications industry and is a passionate supporter of Leeds United."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...ncerns-ease-20130321-2giw1.html#ixzz3u9BKVRk8

Oh well, doesn't matter where it came from FFC, it's just that there's not enough of it left to be spent on our football club. :mad:

scoober

Mike,

For your "money ball" tactic to work, where you get young players develop them and sell them for a profit......... it will never work if the players play like crap, don't entertain and finish last on the ladder......

Bring in some f#*kin quality and get us away from the spoon.

Garth

When I first heard the name Charlesworth I immediately thought of that outstanding Australian Olympian Ric Charlesworth and I was flooded with anticipation. Boy how wrong was I, this other Charlesworth is not worth a crumpet and you can take anything he says with a grain of salt. He reminds of the likes of Alan Bond, Christopher Scase and other business luminaries.

sydmariner

You think it would have been a good idea to sign someone who is capable of 10 minutes of football every 2nd week?

Maybe you think we should have kept Zac who is also doing wonderfully since he moved.
So am I the only 1 on here who still likes or who actually rated Mat Simon?:popcorn:

midfielder

Mike

First my sincere thanks for stepping in when you did to save the club, further congrats on a couple of things the club has got right … the band and the cannon spring to mind under your watch…. Further the grand final victory again the memory still lingers

Hand on heart not the other thing … the last two years has been something of a dogs breakfast… no blame or stones cast at anyone however some foolish decisions have been made… I hate to say this but the clubs management over the last two years is akin to the Flying circus pre Arnold [ in other words piss poor]..

My concern is you have correctly identified two maybe three major challenges but your solutions or those chosen by your management team have been incorrect. This concerns me. The management team prior to our current [maybe CEO] IMO beyond poor in their advice to you .

While you [or your management team] have correctly identified the areas say within 5 to 7 Kls of the southern end of the F3 as a key to our future growth … the marketing to this area has been poor, nay inadequate, feeble, deficient, mediocre and highly ineffective I suggest you have Peter look for better ways to do this many on the forum can help I certainly can Peter or you can PM if you want. I believe between 1, 500 and 3, 000 fans are there for the taking if you are clever they will also bring sponsors..

In closing market to the fans you want in the northern parts of Sydney are there however it needs clever and local knowledge to make it work… it’s not money it’s the message and how the message is delivered..

midfielder

Me again a separate post in an attempt not to confuse two issues.

Moving home games especially to other parts of Sydney will have a tidal-wave effect on the Coast.

Out of left field is there government funding or a request as an election promise [our seats are swinging and in a close parliament could hold the balance of power] to build say a 8K stadium at the CEO and move the lessor home games to the CEO. My understanding the cost per seat in a 8K stadium is a fraction of the cost in a 50K stadium... essentially a small stadium may cost as little as 240 to 300 per seat meaning a 8 k stadium is worth about 18 to 24 million... affordable to a government I am sure..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred