• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Matildas squad to tackle Asia's finest announced

midfielder

Have not read dates before so not sure how much notice has been given .......but the WAC is taking place this month. See also before the Socceroos against Ghana the Women play Canada.

Matildas squad to tackle Asia's finest announced

Tuesday, 13 May 2008

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...2-fullsize.jpg

Kyah Simon in action for the Australian Under 16 Girls team against South Korea at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival.

The Australian women's football team, the Matildas, will be aiming to become the first Australian team to be crowned Asian champions when they compete at the 2008 AFC Women's Asian Cup in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, later this month.

"This tournament will really test the depth and experience of the squad with a number of players going into a major tournament for the first time," said coach, Tom Sermanni.

"We have lost a fair bit of experience since the World Cup with some players unavailable for a variety of reasons and the squad is reasonably different to what we had in China at the World Cup."

"However there is a genuine belief amongst the squad that we can match any opponent and that was reinforced with the team's performances against the USA recently."

The 20 woman squad is led by long-serving captain Cheryl Salisbury, and includes Heather Garriock, Melissa Barbieri, Di Alagich, Asian Womens player of the Year runner-up Collette McCallum, Sarah Walsh and Lisa De Vanna amongst the key players from the team that participated last year in the FIFA Women's World Cup.

Australia will be missing several mainstays from that team, with Joanne Peters and Sally Shipard both absent through injury, and Thea Slatyer and Alicia Ferguson unavailable.

Sermanni has also included two teenagers from last year's Young Matildas - Ellyse Perry and Kyah Simon.

Perry last year achieved the remarkable double of becoming a dual football and cricket international at the age of just 16. The Sydney-based defender scored for the Matildas in the second minute of her debut last August just a fortnight after becoming the youngest ever cricket player for Australia.

Indigenous striker Kyah Simon made her debut for the Matildas in the same match as Perry and featured in both recent matches against world number one USA. The 16 year old is also a team mate of Perry's in the NSW Institute of Sport squad.

Prior to jetting out for Vietnam, the Matildas will face world number nine Canada as part of a double-header at the Sydney Football Stadium on May 23 preceding the Qantas Socceroos match against African powerhouse Ghana.

The two sides last met in the Women's World Cup when the Matildas snatched an injury time equaliser to eliminate Canada from the tournament and reach the quarter finals for the first time.

"We want to go into every match and tournament looking to win and not just being there to make up the numbers," Sermanni said.

"Despite the absentees we will be looking to build further on our World Cup showing and also go one better than we did at the Women's Asian Cup two years ago when we lost the final on penalties.

"This is our most important tournament for the year and the team will be looking to bounce back after the disappointment of not qualifying for the Olympics."

The three overseas based players - Heather Garriock (Fortuna Hjorring, Denmark), Kate Gill and Lisa De Vanna (both Linkopings, Sweden) - will join the squad in Vietnam.

Australia will open their AFC Womens Asian Cup campaign against Chinese Taipei on Thursday 29 May, followed by the match against Korea Republic on Saturday 31 May before the final group match against Japan on Monday 2 June.

The Matildas squad for the 2008 AFC Women's Asian Cup is:

Goalkeepers Melissa Barbieri (Melbourne), Lydia Williams (Canberra)

Defenders Di Alagich (Sydney), Kim Carroll (Brisbane), Kate McShea (Brisbane), Ellyse Perry (Sydney), Clare Polkinghorne (Brisbane), Karla Reuter (Brisbane), Cheryl Salisbury (Newcastle)

Midfielders Joanne Burgess (Brisbane), Amy Chapman (Canberra), Lauren Colthorpe (Brisbane), Heather Garriock (Sydney), Collette McCallum (Perth), Amber Neilson (Newcastle)

Forwards Lisa DeVanna (Perth), Kate Gill (Newcastle), Caitlin Munoz (Canberra), Kyah Simon (Sydney), Sarah Walsh (Sydney)
(current home city)

Matildas v Canada
Sydney Football Stadium, 5.15pm
(Followed by Qantas Socceroos v Ghana, 8pm)

2008 Women's Asian Cup
28 May - June 8, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Arabmariner

marinermick said:
Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

Women should be in the kitchen!

i'm guessing you're still a virgin
Ha Ha...........the point is Australia v Canada at womens football!!??? ???

No one would go if it wasn,t put on as a warm up game to a mens match.Even then most of the crowd will stay in the pub until near kick off time.

Waste of money and resources.I prefer ladies to be ladies. ;)

dru

Arabmariner said:
marinermick said:
Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

i'm guessing you're still a virgin
Ha Ha...........the point is Australia v Canada at womens football!!??? ???

No one would go if it wasn,t put on as a warm up game to a mens match.Even then most of the crowd will stay in the pub until near kick off time.

Waste of money and resources.I prefer ladies to be ladies. ;)

I disagree because they got reseanable crowds when they played qualifiers in coffs harbour.

Similarlly I would be there if I was actually in the country and probably would of chosen the matildas friendly over a Roos friendly if they were played at the same time.

dibo

my lady plays football and she's still very much a lady.

the canada game's at a shit time though, i'd have trouble making it there for half time, and i work in the city FFS!

Paolo

+1 for staying at the pub and only showing up for men's game. Not going early to pay $5.50 for beer and watch shit football

finally retired

keensy said:
+1 for staying at the pub and only showing up for men's game. Not going early to pay $5.50 for beer and watch shit football
is it "shit football" just because it's females playing ?  I disagree totally....I was thrilled at the standard of women's soccer at their world cup and was proud to call Australia home watching our girls play..... I am from a family of football players...I have a niece who has played for the Young Matilda's and I have a future daughter-in-law who plays locally and is a very fast wing and accurate crosser of the ball.  Having a women's league can only be good......it will bring more players into the game and generate more interest for football, and the women's standard will improve with more (and stronger) competition....that's the same gripe we have about the A-league...we need more teams and we need more games.  I'm all for it....anything that entices people to get behind the best game in the world has to be good.  The more females who play will mean an increase in male juniors in future years as mum's are more likely to influence their children to play a sport they understand and follow. And that is the reason the women's league needs to be pushed for all it's worth.

marconigirl

Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

Blokes play fitba.
Woman play football..
:p

Woman actually have a say nowadays (it is not the 1930's)...
We also play pretty damn good football...

Paolo

marconigirl said:
Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

women are also delusional, proven with the "we also play pretty damn good football" comment :popcorn:

Arabmariner

Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

Apart from people responding to the above comment there has been no comment to this topic which kind of proves my point........no one is interested!
marconigirl said:

Blokes play fitba.
Woman play football..

If it was the 1930,s you wouldn,t be allowed out the kitchen to watch the fitba let alone play it! :p

Besides if all you women are out there playing fitba who the f**ks in the kitchen making the dinner! ???

T

keensy said:

And yet I wasted my Sunday afternoon watching you play shit football last weekend. If it wasn't for the fact that my little bro was also playing I would have left!!

Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

Apart from people responding to the above comment there has been no comment to this topic which kind of proves my point........no one is interested!
marconigirl said:
Arabmariner said:
So basically your saying, you have no interest whatso ever in watching a bunch of fit women in tight clothes running around and getting all sweaty??

Blokes play fitba.
Woman play football..

If it was the 1930,s you wouldn,t be allowed out the kitchen to watch the fitba let alone play it! :p

Besides if all you women are out there playing fitba who the f**ks in the kitchen making the dinner! ???
[/quote]

Kareem

keensy said:
marconigirl said:
Arabmariner said:
Blokes play fitba!

women are also delusional, proven with the "we also play pretty damn good football" comment :popcorn:
yea. no offence but the standard across the women's game can be quite challenging to say the least at times. But majority of girls out there are content enjoying themselves. In professionals I dont think any are under delusion of the standard of football (or rather I hope not). Passing game aint bad in women's- other aspects are

Paolo

T said:
keensy said:

And yet I wasted my Sunday afternoon watching you play shit football last weekend. If it wasn't for the fact that my little bro was also playing I would have left!!
hahahaha   zing!
0-0 doesnt always = shit, infact i think out of the 4 games this year that was the most entertaining

T

keensy said:
T said:
keensy said:

hahahaha   zing!
0-0 doesnt always = shit, infact i think out of the 4 games this year that was the most entertaining

I was actually talking about your standard of play last week the amount of times they broke through on that side, if you didn't have some very quick winger backing you up, who knows what would have happened!! Having watched that team for the last yr, it was one of the poorer games they have played overall. But there were a few standout players, one of which was not you. And if the ref had any balls he would have taken control of the game in the first 5mins and not let it get as far out of hand as it did. That wasn't an entertaining game of football, that was a game of who can get away with the dirtiest tackle!!

Paolo

haha i know i didnt play the best and i was the first to admit it after the game, i have had better matches and im not saying i am great in that grade or deserve to be playing in it. But a shortage of defensive players has seen me thrown in there in man marking situation with only 3 at the back which i do not see as ideal for me as i do lack pace.

People get better with experience and after only 3 games in 1st grade im not expecting to be setting the world on fire.

any further digs???

loyalist

keensy said:
haha i know i didnt play the best and i was the first to admit it after the game, i have had better matches and im not saying i am great in that grade or deserve to be playing in it. But a shortage of defensive players has seen me thrown in there in man marking situation with only 3 at the back which i do not see as ideal for me as i do lack pace.

People get better with experience and after only 3 games in 1st grade im not expecting to be setting the world on fire.

any further digs???
get a haircut

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred