• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Matchday 12 v Entitlement FC

Insertnamehere

If we're going to continue with 4-4-2 it can't be with Moresche on one flank and Ngololo on the other. Our best wide combinations are Nizzy and Cy. Cy has copped some flack on here but he adds some creativity and works defensively. Not convinced it's the best formation for this squad. Our midfield needs sorting though.
I rate Cy higher than Moresche or Beni. In saying that I think its just that hes adapted a bit quicker. But he still has his own issues to improve on.

Corsair

I rate Cy higher than Moresche or Beni. In saying that I think its just that hes adapted a bit quicker. But he still has his own issues to improve on.
My problem with him is his physique. He's a good technical player but he does get pushed off the ball a bit. Some of that is playing for fouls, some of it is DDS weakness. Moresche is a bit of a hybrid player, more of a 10 than an out and out striker recently he's not been played as a 10. He has been unlucky with a few chances, if he gets on a streak the tide of opinion will quickly turn. I knew it would be a challenge coming from a league where he was physically dominant to one where he's not king ding. He's still young and all this experience will improve his game. He was never going to be the messiah ala cumdog but he's a quality young player.

Forum Phoenix

My problem with him is his physique. He's a good technical player but he does get pushed off the ball a bit. Some of that is playing for fouls, some of it is DDS weakness. Moresche is a bit of a hybrid player, more of a 10 than an out and out striker recently he's not been played as a 10. He has been unlucky with a few chances, if he gets on a streak the tide of opinion will quickly turn. I knew it would be a challenge coming from a league where he was physically dominant to one where he's not king ding. He's still young and all this experience will improve his game. He was never going to be the messiah ala cumdog but he's a quality young player.

I agree. I did think some were hyping him a bit early, but I do believe there's a good footballer there and I do think HAL level capable. Just needs more time to grow as a player and adjust to the physicality from what I can tell.

And while we're on this. I'm more than happy to routinely critique players for mistakes, and enjoy debating whether people think a player isn't ready or up to standard or squad selections etc. It's a fan football forum. And there's also nearly always someone on a team who's the weakest link and cops it. Take it or leave it, that's true the football world over. And in most recent years we've had a lot more weak links than strong ones and we haven't had a great deal of positives to dwell on. But Imo, this season I've found it a bit strange to see the penchant not just to critique players for a poor moment or game, but to generalise or exaggerate, if not outright catastrophize.

Why strange? Because personally I feel like our squad, (with Roux, to give the critics their due, probably the most reasonable case for exemption) are obviously at least a very decent side, and quite possibly much more. But hey, don't take my word for it. We're about to play in a cup final for our first piece of silverware in how long? And until Covid I thought we were looking as good or better than any other side.

Personally, after all the shit we've waded through, as opposed to getting my blow torch out, I'm actually feeling much more down for a long awaited season of hard out player worship and some good old fashion man love of this squad. Was an awesome feeling in the early years, where you really could love (at least almost) every player. It felt special. And I think we really are closer to having that with this squad, than we are further away.

Oh and Cumdog is the bloody goods. Him and Urena could be the strike combination we've wanted for a very long time.

Rising Sun

Only if Urena passes the ball to him...
This is the 2nd or 3rd such comment I have seen.

Yes, it would have been great if they had somehow developed a miraculous telepathic understanding straight away, in a game where we were largely on the back foot (and with an attack that was clunky in the first half anyway because of Moresche struggling with the wide role). But can you point me to a few examples of where Urena appeared to be going out of his way not to pass to Cummings? I can't recall anything, but was at the game (and staring in to the distance at our attack from the away bays in the 2nd half) and haven't watched it back yet.

I can think of a couple of times where Urena had the ball and Cummings made a run that looked like it was intended to draw defenders and open up some space elsewhere, including when Urena went close with the shot in the first half. Yes, Urena didn't pass - but Cummings wasn't expecting him to, it was an unselfish decoy run.

Urena is always willing to drop deep or wide to create for others, he is selfish when he has to be as a striker but generally seems to make good judgement as to when to go himself and when to lay off. He seems to be a team player overall, encouraging and coaching others. So I would need to see some compelling evidence that he has suddenly decided to not pass to his new strike partner.

I was impressed by what I saw of Cummings on the weekend, on top of his highlights reel. Unselfish, strong, smart and able to create chances in tight areas. Like Forum Phoenix and others, I am genuinely excited at the thought of watching this partnership develop and it could be something special - and don't understand the continuous sniping at Urena.

Forum Phoenix

Only if Urena passes the ball to him...
Like he did for Cummings goal you mean?

But agree there were a couple of times Cumming made runs and I thought he could have tried to release him, but none of them were clear cut and I also thought they were unlikely to come off - either because the runs were being well tracked and or they didn’t quite look on the same page of where Urena needed Cummings to run to be able to hit him. Urenas a great play maker but I haven’t seen Scholes like 30-40 metres passes in his locker as yet. And I’m not sure at pace how confidently he can hit them,

So, myself, especially after he passed it to him for the assist, I wouldn’t be inclined to start the narrative of Urena won’t pass to Cummings.

Ozhammer

Many had sub-par performances on Sunday, so we should put that down to the circumstances leading up to the game.

If the team’s malaise continues over the coming weeks however, we should still feel we have a right to voice our concerns.

As good as this team may or may not be, we still have the smallest squad and player absences/injuries (particularly key ones) are likely to have a disproportionate effect.

booney

the urena not passing to cummings is a bullshit call.
after 2 training sessions we were predictably clunky .
added that the team was gassed right from the start .
nizzy was lucky to be good for 10 minutes .
we had nothing and paid the price .
Agree with this comment.Our post Covid fitness or lack of it was a major factor in this match.We allowed Caceres and Amini to run the midfield and Kamsoba was cutting us to pieces.Also Burgess looked good when he came on.

VonBowellski

I was watching on the TV so may not have seen all of the defenders rushing towads Cummings but there was twice from memory where Urena collected the ball around half way and had 2 or 3 defenders around with Cummings wide open (again from my TV view).

Regarding Cummings goal, i actually throught Urena had intended the pass for Nkololo who was rushing forward but Cummings snatched it (as a good poacher striker should)

greenlig

It's reading so hardcore into Marco's intentions to imagine him electing not to pass to cumdog for any other reason than he didn't think it was the best option at that moment. He's a model professional, loves the team, wants to win. Why on earth would he try to sabotage C-man in his first game??

Yorkshire Mariners FC

I'm one of those who watches the game and makes observations as they happen in the game. Sorry if I have offended the Urena family members on this page! I'm a big Urena fan. The first Syd FC game I started a count of glorious chances misses because it was getting frustrating. I also was the person to first comment on Urena not passing to Cummings, as like VonBowellski said, on the TV there were a few moments (all relatively close together in the first half) where if looked like Cumming had got into space. One in particular where Urena then held onto the ball too long and was dispossessed, if my memory serves me currently. All of these are passing comments during a game as it happens and was my observation. The overreaction of people's comments jumping to his defence has been comically hyperbolic. I am sorry if my comments have offended people.

Corsair

I'm one of those who watches the game and makes observations as they happen in the game. Sorry if I have offended the Urena family members on this page! I'm a big Urena fan. The first Syd FC game I started a count of glorious chances misses because it was getting frustrating. I also was the person to first comment on Urena not passing to Cummings, as like VonBowellski said, on the TV there were a few moments (all relatively close together in the first half) where if looked like Cumming had got into space. One in particular where Urena then held onto the ball too long and was dispossessed, if my memory serves me currently. All of these are passing comments during a game as it happens and was my observation. The overreaction of people's comments jumping to his defence has been comically hyperbolic. I am sorry if my comments have offended people.
I noticed it too, maybe it was the TV angles or something. I've seen him do the same to other players occasionally, at least in my perception. He had a sook at Nisbet one match and wouldn't pass to him and he hardly ever passed to Bouman. Maybe preconception made it look like that or maybe he didn't trust CD yet so early. Or maybe he just thought it was a low probability pass and we've made too much of it. Was only a fleeting thought for me, but was amplified by others thinking the same. Anyhoo...move on...

Forum Phoenix

I'm not offended at all mate. All good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred