• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners v WSW - Round 23

dibo

Just taking the mickey mate. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the cards we're dealt. Tis a wee bit annoying though (mainly from the Mexicans and ironically ESFC) complaining that we are funded by FFA.
[pedantic mode]

It's still *Sydney* FC. Associations like Bankstown, Macarthur, Granville etc. maintain relationships with SFC. They've got members and supporters from all over. Save the East bit for the WSW boards.

WSW are fully owned by FFA, so obviously FFA provided opening capital and will fund any operating losses.

CCM have(or maybe had - not sure) a capital stake owned by FFA meaning they got a wedge of cash in addition to normal distributions in return for equity.

SFC on the other hand have always been fully privately owned. Frank Lowy's pockets and the FFA's pockets are not the same thing. Whether there is a conflict of interest in respect of other decisions is a separate matter too - FFA never funded SFC.
[/pedantic mode]

Benched

^^^^^I think I'll go and smash my head again'st the wall.....:soapbox:

will we mention the FFA money used to pay for Emerton and Neill?

universalmind

[pedantic mode]

It's still *Sydney* FC. Associations like Bankstown, Macarthur, Granville etc. maintain relationships with SFC. They've got members and supporters from all over. Save the East bit for the WSW boards.

WSW are fully owned by FFA, so obviously FFA provided opening capital and will fund any operating losses.

CCM have(or maybe had - not sure) a capital stake owned by FFA meaning they got a wedge of cash in addition to normal distributions in return for equity.

SFC on the other hand have always been fully privately owned. Frank Lowy's pockets and the FFA's pockets are not the same thing. Whether there is a conflict of interest in respect of other decisions is a separate matter too - FFA never funded SFC.
[/pedantic mode]

I'm pretty sure they still have the investment in our club. Just impaired the value to nil given our financial position.

dibo

The last set of FFA accounts I saw showed them as owning 7.23% of the club, a stake valued at $500,000.

Good luck trying to get $500k for that!

That puts the company value at about $6.92 million in nominal terms.

Given that this will show next to no relationship whatsoever with the combination of the current asset position and present value of future income streams, it proves once again that people 'investing' in football clubs are really just donating.

Benched

fwiw to mention, WSW haven't touched a single cent of FFA money. To date, the funds used have been the $4 mill start up capital from Julia to buy the Western Sydney electorate, plus revenue raised.

FFC Mariner

IIRC, the FFA stake was start up money as we fell short initially.

If they have that on the books at $500k then I'd be having a word with their auditors.

Roy Law

But CCM has never been fully owned and operated by FFA.
Unlike almost every club in the history of the A League...Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide to name but a few... but if you believe what you read in the press CCM is the club with financial difficutlies.

style_cafe

Just a point I unfortunately forgot to mention earlier.
Ante Covic should be applauded by all football fans for his outstanding act of sportsmanship in allowing Matt Ryan to get back to his goals after taking the penalty.
How many other keepers would have taken a shot or put the other keeper under pressure.
I know there is a bond in the keeping ranks but this was far beyond that.:overheadl:

style_cafe

Dibo -McBreen delayed his release.
I like Style's poetic version better. But Dibo is right. He's good at that.

McBreen got in front of Covic after Covic delayed his release.
If Covic wasn`t as generous with his sportsmanship he could easily have stepped around McBreen.
McBreen would then have risked infringing by
  • impeding the progress of an opponent
  • preventing the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
& possibly a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

I don`t think McBreen is that dumb.

Wombat

I might be being obtuse but isn't it a dead ball situation?

Normally a goal is scored so play is restarted from the centre circle. I missed a penalty in a semi v Avoca a few years back and I don't remember them trying to score from the save.

Isn't the ball dead once the shot is taken?

Capt....what's the go?

style_cafe

I might be being obtuse but isn't it a dead ball situation?

Normally a goal is scored so play is restarted from the centre circle. I missed a penalty in a semi v Avoca a few years back and I don't remember them trying to score from the save.

Isn't the ball dead once the shot is taken?

Capt....what's the go?

It depends on the situation.
Basically.
If the goal is scored it`s a restart as you said.
If the penalty kick hits the post & comes back to the kicker without first touching another player it`s a freekick to the defending team.
If the penalty kick touches another player & comes back into the field of play it`s play on.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

At a pentlay kick, as soon as the ball is kicked and moves forwards (and assuming nobody has encroached), it's game on.

That's why it's allowed to actually pass the ball to a teammate at a PK, as long as it goes forwards.

That's why you should always follow the ball in at a PK - if the keeper fumbles it, it's up for grabs. If it hits the cross bar, it's up for grabs (except the kicker can't touch it, as it needs to touch another player first).

Kicks from the penalty mark (penalty shootout) is different though, same with a normal penalty kick taken after what would otherwise be half/full time.

Haven't seen the penalty, and IMO Covic is daft he he didn't press the attack. If McBreen had delayed Covic trying to release the ball he almost certainly would've been booked, but sometimes copping a card is worth it (if you're not already on a card)

I dunno, losing that game has just made me more nervous about the GF again....but then again, we would've beat Roar in that GF despite being the definite underdogs then.....but then again we won't have 3 games in a week coming up to the GF either....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred