• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Rowdy

MARINERS DENY RIFT BETWEEN PLAYERS AND STAFF:
1_630_1120_1_70__News_GettyImages-1052775806.jpg

Central Coast Mariners boss Mike Mulvey admits players and staff are fighting mad with each other – but insists they're still a unit as the season goes from bad to worse.

The Gosford side are rooted to the bottom of the table with just two points from a possible 33 and only a few weeks away from the first anniversary of their last win, when they squeaked a 1-0 victory over Wellington Phoenix on February 23, 2018.

Loan star striker Ross McCormack has abandoned the club to return to the UK and join Motherwell after just five games for the side, while Connor Pain is out with a calf injury.

They have also lost veteran Kalifa Cisse to suspension after his red card which turned the game against Sydney last week and ended in a 5-2 thrashing after an otherwise positive start for the Mariners.

Questions have been asked about dressing room disharmony after skipper Matt Simon appeared to lash out verbally at coaching staff.

But today Mulvey denied any rift but admitted players and staff were having frank exchanges of views as they tried to find a way out of their mess.

He said he was 100 percent certain he still had the backing of players and added: "We're all together.

"Any level of club that has something about them has always got discussions going on between the captain and the coach. That's quite normal.

"It's robust at times. We don't always agree with each other - but why should that be the case? We're actually hurting as much as the fans.

"To make any assumptions is just crazy. The lads are all together, we're all in this together and we're trying to find a way out of it.

"You only have to look at the performance in thefirst half against Sydney to see that the playersare playing for each other, and for the club."

He added: "I don't think anybody's happy with the situation right now. I'm certainly not happy. The situation with the send-off is unacceptable and we'll deal with that internally.

"If we had our number one team throughout the whole season, we would have had better results."

Mulvey says he's already on the phone trying to recruit new players to save his season and avoid the tag of worst team in A-League history.

"We're looking to make some deals in January and bring some fresh faces to help the players get where we want to be," he said.

"We're really working hard behind the scenes. We were speaking to a player just now about coming to us in the next few months to help out towards the end of the season.

"So we're actively trying to bring players in and I can quite honestly say that if we can get those players in, then it will help the players who are already here."

Coastalraider

They’d better do a hell of a lot better than signing a player who may come in the next few months, regardless of who it is.

We need quality. Now.

Scotty

One player to help out at the end of the season?
Surely there's more than that? If that's all we get, the team will be playing to an empty home stadium, with irreparable damage done for the following season.

Teams positioned in the top four are making adjustments to their squad NOW.

We are cemented to the bottom and have not made a single adjustment to the squad. If you include the loss of McCormack, we've gone even further backwards.

Tevor

MARINERS DENY RIFT BETWEEN PLAYERS AND STAFF:
View attachment 1282

Central Coast Mariners boss Mike Mulvey admits players and staff are fighting mad with each other – but insists they're still a unit as the season goes from bad to worse.

The Gosford side are rooted to the bottom of the table with just two points from a possible 33 and only a few weeks away from the first anniversary of their last win, when they squeaked a 1-0 victory over Wellington Phoenix on February 23, 2018.

Loan star striker Ross McCormack has abandoned the club to return to the UK and join Motherwell after just five games for the side, while Connor Pain is out with a calf injury.

They have also lost veteran Kalifa Cisse to suspension after his red card which turned the game against Sydney last week and ended in a 5-2 thrashing after an otherwise positive start for the Mariners.

Questions have been asked about dressing room disharmony after skipper Matt Simon appeared to lash out verbally at coaching staff.

But today Mulvey denied any rift but admitted players and staff were having frank exchanges of views as they tried to find a way out of their mess.

He said he was 100 percent certain he still had the backing of players and added: "We're all together.

"Any level of club that has something about them has always got discussions going on between the captain and the coach. That's quite normal.

"It's robust at times. We don't always agree with each other - but why should that be the case? We're actually hurting as much as the fans.

"To make any assumptions is just crazy. The lads are all together, we're all in this together and we're trying to find a way out of it.

"You only have to look at the performance in thefirst half against Sydney to see that the playersare playing for each other, and for the club."

He added: "I don't think anybody's happy with the situation right now. I'm certainly not happy. The situation with the send-off is unacceptable and we'll deal with that internally.

"If we had our number one team throughout the whole season, we would have had better results."

Mulvey says he's already on the phone trying to recruit new players to save his season and avoid the tag of worst team in A-League history.

"We're looking to make some deals in January and bring some fresh faces to help the players get where we want to be," he said.

"We're really working hard behind the scenes. We were speaking to a player just now about coming to us in the next few months to help out towards the end of the season.

"So we're actively trying to bring players in and I can quite honestly say that if we can get those players in, then it will help the players who are already here."
It’s all bit like “blah, blah blah blah, nothing will change, blah blah, we are working hard, blah blah blah, wooden spoon, blah blah blah.” I’m sick of reading articles where they are working hard and are all together as a unit. He clearly thinks we are all morons. He has only achieved one thing so far this season, convincing everyone he is not as good as he thinks he is and now we know why the Roar only gave him one season and that team would have won even without a Manager.

Last edited:

greenlig

Yeah that article reads horribly. We look like a rabble. Everything just seems so unbalanced, reactive, lurching from one event to the next. To say we’re “on the phone” looking for someone is just f**king terrible to read. The messaging is so defensive, reactionary. I don’t like it one bit. Gut feeling says that unless min 4 players suddenly step it up 6 notches, Mulvey’s out with a parting “it was a bigger task than anticipated, more problems that expected, etc”.

I don’t think the guy can cut it. Sue me.

(Wait, Mulvey, I didn’t mean that!!)

Antlion

I expect Pain to go, he's earned better for his career and deserves it. If not now then end of season.

I damn well hope we lock down Millar to 3 years with a promise of support if he gets overseas offers as someone else has already said. If we lose him now that just might be the last straw.

We MASSIVELY need a small group of new players. Look at our defence for instance. We're scrambling just to put a back line together at the moment. At the other end we can't score goals. Sometimes we can control the midfield...for a max of 30mins/game.

Our only hope is the club under sells and over delivers as the mouth words coming out of the club are none too promising.

Tevor

I expect Pain to go, he's earned better for his career and deserves it. If not now then end of season.

I damn well hope we lock down Millar to 3 years with a promise of support if he gets overseas offers as someone else has already said. If we lose him now that just might be the last straw.

We MASSIVELY need a small group of new players. Look at our defence for instance. We're scrambling just to put a back line together at the moment. At the other end we can't score goals. Sometimes we can control the midfield...for a max of 30mins/game.

Our only hope is the club under sells and over delivers as the mouth words coming out of the club are none too promising.
We only manage to control the mid field when the other team lets us, normally after they have a comfortable lead or realise they have to step up out of first gear to beat us. I don’t for one minute think this team matches any other HAL team in any area of the pitch.

turbo

Mulvey’s out with a parting “it was a bigger task than anticipated, more problems that expected, etc”.
This. But the worst thing is he'll put it on the club and it's culture not his questionable signings, line ups or tactics. We've been starting some guys the other clubs wouldn't consider putting on their bench but hey it must be the clubs culture of losing doing that right?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I wonder how many people I can make look at this thread just by making it show having a new post :)
Yeah that article reads horribly. We look like a rabble. Everything just seems so unbalanced, reactive, lurching from one event to the next. To say we’re “on the phone” looking for someone is just f**king terrible to read. The messaging is so defensive, reactionary. I don’t like it one bit. Gut feeling says that unless min 4 players suddenly step it up 6 notches, Mulvey’s out with a parting “it was a bigger task than anticipated, more problems that expected, etc”.

Yeah, "on the phone is worrying He's attended games of different teams, and the 'on the phone' makes it sound like a ring around. I hope that they do have specifics on mind and are keeping that secret to not worry the team so players don't look to exit this month, but it sounds like a scramble. Not sure if there's any point if that's the case

Michael

I reckon Mulvey would’ve got a serious amount of tail in his younger years. The bloke can talk his way through anything...
Too bad there’s no bite to any of it.
Must’ve been a lot of one nighters.

Forum Phoenix

They’d better do a hell of a lot better than signing a player who may come in the next few months, regardless of who it is.

We need quality. Now.

Yeah that was a pretty annoying line. Don’t undetstand why he’d highlight that. Red flag to a supporter group of angry wounded bulls right now. Madness.

Forum Phoenix

Makes me suspect the article to be honest.

Mulvey is usually a talented speaker.

Could well be a cleverly cut and pasted hack job.

Coastalraider

Makes me suspect the article to be honest.

Mulvey is usually a talented speaker.

Could well be a cleverly cut and pasted hack job.

It almost reads like ‘we have tried recruiting in the Jan window, but we have just discovered how toxic our environment is and no one will sign. There is one bloke, but he won’t come for a couple of months’.

Cricko_086

It’s very much the Mariners way. Wait until the transfer window opens, wait for the big players to make their picks, do some research on remaining players, sweep up the scraps, wonder where it went wrong again!

Unfortunately I said this would happen a month out and everyone agreed!

MagpieMariner

Perhaps the management (Phelan?) has taken over recruitment like they did with Okon? Maybe "on the phone" is his way of saying "someone else is recruiting and they phone me."

shipwreck

Another day, no signings.
Im calling its done, we haven't even heard whispers and vague statements like that from Mulvey all but confirm it for me.

The fact we have had the option to sign an injury replacement for Gameiro the ENTIRE Season and haven't taken advantage of it tells me signing new players isn't feasible for us atm.

Cricko_086

But what can we offer? We get spoons on the reg, and your wage won’t be that great. How can you rebuild a club when we let go ppl like Trent and lachie? Is the club mentality to trial a full side with a touch of a league has beens?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred