• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 14 - 2018- 2019 - The challenge for Mike Mulvey is over

Wombat

Let's hope DDS has a stellar start to the season

This one has Monty's fingerprints all over it. I would hope this is for the position that Lui Ditroia was trialling for as well and that there is at least one more quality wide player to come.

We are covered for Wingers now I would have thought. Pain, Hoole, Kek and this newbie.

RB, 10 and a Striker are needed......and Theo.

Tevor

That was down to Okon and his poor coaching.
A lot rests at Okon’s feet, last year the two young blokes to make an impact were Arzani and Champness. Both given free rein to try and beat defenders and both looked good. Here is hoping MMM gives our young blokes the same messages.

Insertnamehere

A lot rests at Okon’s feet, last year the two young blokes to make an impact were Arzani and Champness. Both given free rein to try and beat defenders and both looked good. Here is hoping MMM gives our young blokes the same messages.
100%. Use the arrogance/ignorance of youth.

Offsider

That was down to Okon and his poor coaching.

The aftermath of which has torn the club apart. The appointment of phelan, depending on what his role actually is as opposed to what the plebs have been told .............. may be a good thing as mc’s decisions have been woeful. Who would have thought that okon would turn out to be worse than walmsley.:-|:-|:-|:poo:

localpom

Appiah and Pain they just had no ability
And Hoole ran back to the defenders:D
Don't agree with Connor, think he is a decent footballer that we haven't seen the best of yet. Think in the right team environment and with good coaching he will be an asset. Was off injured for a fair chunk of last season too.

pjennings

The aftermath of which has torn the club apart. The appointment of phelan, depending on what his role actually is as opposed to what the plebs have been told .............. may be a good thing as mc’s decisions have been woeful. Who would have thought that okon would turn out to be worse than walmsley.:-|:-|:-|:poo:

Sorry - I can't agree with that. It all seems a never-ending nightmare since the latter part of Moss's end. Trying to judge one over the other is doing my head in. I've got my hopes in Mulvey this year, just as I did with Okon. Don't mess with my mind any further Mike. It can't take much more.!

Ancient Mariner

I am looking forward to see how some of our underachieving players of last season will perform under a new manager.

I suspect Paine could be a revelation.

Hoole could be anything. Good or bad.

McGing, not prepared to predict.

Kennedy may be on the bench, I like the talk about Theo/Covic/Sorensen (good analysis Rowdy).

I am not expecting brilliance, but I am expecting a significant improvement, over too many years of false dawns, even without " big names". I am hoping for a team that "punches above its weight". There are no quick fixes.

I am hoping to have a season which will show we are a viable club again and players will be keen to sign. My fervent hope is that Mulvey can deliver his aim which is a season that makes the true fans happy no matter the result. I have had enough of "entertaining football", 'Okon ball", or "curriculum football". I just want a side to rip some oppositions a new one.

At this stage I will make one prediction only.
We will lead the league in yellow cards.

If this is down to intensity and not stupidity/frustration. I will be happy.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

i don't mind leading the league in yellow cards if we're seeing players put in an impact like Hutcho and Monty - and putting in the hard hits (not dirty cheap shots, but hard tackles) that fire the team up.
Hutcho has changed entire games with a single tackle (moreso before he was captain).

It's the stupid cards we've been earning that have no benefit to use that I don't want to see. But that's also a mixture of performing poorly, little leadership and Okon losing the changeroom.

I think we have a lot of positives. I AM concerned about so many unproven players - because that's also a repeat of Okon. The difference is that we have a proven coach this time around - and we can see the way he's changing the team culture.
Some similarities, some differences.

We're the Mariners. We need to be developing unproven players (and if transfer fees come in, it's going to be amazing for us). So hopefully we can get back on that path - but they can't be the entire team either.

I'm trying to not repeat stuff on the FFA thread, but one concerning aspect about the lack of trial games is that last year, all too often our attack looked like a bunch of players who had never played together. There was no synergy. So I'm a little worried about the fact that our attack genuinely hasn't played together.

Although, if there are still big plans for, say, a new striker, then perhaps MM has felt that trial games would do more harm than good.....?

Last edited:

Antlion

Don't agree with Connor, think he is a decent footballer that we haven't seen the best of yet. Think in the right team environment and with good coaching he will be an asset. Was off injured for a fair chunk of last season too.
He's not a player who can carry a team but can be a great player in a capable team

JoyfulPenguin

Josh McDonald hasn't performed to that high a standard at NPL level. He is not the stand out player in the NPL NSW so why are we expecting him to be that in the A-League? I wax lyrical about how we should give NPL players a go, but players that are actually succeeding and surpassing that level of football, and I'm sorry but Josh McDonald isn't doing that. If he was capable at this level why didn't we at least give him a contract in our youth team when he left the Wanderers? Jordan Murray has had a hell of a year for APIA and is currently leading the NPL NSW golden boot, if we are going to sign anyone from the NPL let it be him not a player who is struggling for a side threatened with relegation in the state league. Not a player who has 43 games and 4 goals and no end product, we already have that with Pain, Kekeris and Hoole who we already have contracted and need players to push them to a higher standard or out of the starting eleven.

Offsider

Sorry - I can't agree with that. It all seems a never-ending nightmare since the latter part of Moss's end. Trying to judge one over the other is doing my head in. I've got my hopes in Mulvey this year, just as I did with Okon. Don't mess with my mind any further Mike. It can't take much more.!

Far be it for me to mess with your head at this time pj ............. but ............... I can recommend the aldi cask merlot that some kind contributor to this forum put me onto. I cannot see the promises of change blah blah when mm was appointed coming to fruition. Too many npl, suspect crocks and not enough quality left over from last season. Just my opinion and further depressed after watching the fox ffa broadcast last night.

pinklady

Josh McDonald hasn't performed to that high a standard at NPL level. He is not the stand out player in the NPL NSW so why are we expecting him to be that in the A-League? I wax lyrical about how we should give NPL players a go, but players that are actually succeeding and surpassing that level of football, and I'm sorry but Josh McDonald isn't doing that. If he was capable at this level why didn't we at least give him a contract in our youth team when he left the Wanderers? Jordan Murray has had a hell of a year for APIA and is currently leading the NPL NSW golden boot, if we are going to sign anyone from the NPL let it be him not a player who is struggling for a side threatened with relegation in the state league. Not a player who has 43 games and 4 goals and no end product, we already have that with Pain, Kekeris and Hoole who we already have contracted and need players to push them to a higher standard or out of the starting eleven.
As someone else pointed out this has Monty all over it. I'm going to go out on a limb here against the majority - Monty is not a good appointment for us - as a coach. I like Monty personally, he was a great player, inspirational captain and a club legend. He needs to be involved in the club in some capacity - just not coaching or recruitment. He got it terribly wrong last year with his recruits from Wollongong (Markovics spat the dummy after not getting a regular start in NYL) and this is not much better. McDonald is a decent player but no better than what we have already and no better than Smylie, William, Abdullah or Peters in the Academy/NYL.

Offsider

Be careful what you wish for MrCelery - we have had a Brazilian striker trialing with us this week - in person though and apparently, he can play a bit (unlike the "Kaiser'!!)

That would be a game changer. Somebody capable of scoring more than 4 in 28 odd games.

Park the bus and “hoof ball” ..............the great leveller ........ every game is there for the opportunity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred