• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Rowdy

Rowdy

Rightly so too - considering how he was given a chance from nowhere in real terms, and the fact that his talent is still quite raw and requiring development I would have been quite angry if he was let go. He can spend the year developing as a player and proving himself then either accepting a big pay rise somewhere else or with us, or even overseas if he steps up enough

Agree, good decision by the club. I'm looking forward to watching him develop & hope he gets more game time this season, if its warranted.

Watching him at Pluim the other nite, he appears to have filled out his frame a bit, bulking up & with more 'growing' to come he'll handle the contact a lot better & hopefully have more confidence to take on the defenders more often.
...... that's what I'm really looking forward to see from him the most. :tv:

Big Al

Thats why we need transfers.

But why is he getting offers while contracted. Surely thats some form of tampering.

FFA have alot to catch up on here.

nebakke

Also - word is Budgie was offered contracts from 3 other A-League clubs, for between double and triple his current wage with the Mariners but CCM wouldn't release him from year 2 of his 2 year contract.

Rightly so too - considering how he was given a chance from nowhere in real terms, and the fact that his talent is still quite raw and requiring development I would have been quite angry if he was let go. He can spend the year developing as a player and proving himself then either accepting a big pay rise somewhere else or with us, or even overseas if he steps up enough

Considering his team mates, you'd think the fate of someone like Kwabsy would've served well as a reminder that it's probably worth listening to the coach when he says that you're a bit undercooked, rather than trying to take your ball and go - wouldn't you?

nebakke

Thats why we need transfers.

But why is he getting offers while contracted. Surely thats some form of tampering.

FFA have alot to catch up on here.

They're not supposed to even be talking to him are they? Sydney landed in a spot of bother over that at the start of the year...

Big Al

They're not supposed to even be talking to him are they? Sydney landed in a spot of bother over that at the start of the year...
But who's going to protect little old CCM from the big boys?

Would love to flog him to $ity for a pile of cash but no can do (caceras).

I understand he's not getting what he wants on field and that extra cash would help but where were they when he resigned?

These agents need a smack down.

We have no option but to put our foot down or loose him or others for nothing or a desperation swap at best.

His agent needs to flog him overseas so CCM can get some cash otherwise suck it up son.

VicMariner

I don't remember what I said at the time, but I regret Matt Simon leaving now.
He was CCM fighting spirit personified, he was a Mariner through and through and he is still considered good enough to play in the comps best team.
And we haven't exactly set the world on fire since we got rid of him.

Maybe I'm just sentimental.

Manny_ccm

He was CCM fighting spirit personified, he was a Mariner through and through and he is still considered good enough to play in the comps best team.

Maybe... Loved Matty when he was here but the reports at the time and my memory suggest he put himself in this position
Year 1 - he returned broken form Korea, we nursed him back to health and fitness and gave him plenty of gametime
Year 2 - he went on holidays to Hawaii with heavily pregnant wife and their child was born prematurely and he was stuck over there during pre-season dealing with the birth/family issues missing pre-seaon and was underdone and injury prone through the season
End of the season we offered him a contract extension but despite us giving him the lifeline on return from Korea and accommodating his family issues over club needs, he baulked at the contract for more money and walked.
We signed Roy and he was stuck without a contract and no offers.
Arnie took pity on him at the 11th hour and offered him a contract apparently for less than what we offered.
He played just 279 minutes for the Smurfs last year with no starts - not exactly killing it down there!

Ozhammer

I was one of those that was sad to see him go back then but not sure he would be the sort of player to be able to adapt to Okonball tbh, as he is more of a blunt butter knife than a sharp scalpel imho.

scottmac

Suspended
If he didn't go when he did then he'd have been cut by Okon for sure. Kind of worked out well really. He gets to be a part of something down there and its f**king hilarious watching the smurfs froth over him when he comes on and fouls a few players

Wombat

Really??
It must be hilarious for other teams to watch him come off the bench and destroy us.
But he probably doesn't get to play against such a shit back 5 normally (that will change this year).
For me I Have nothing but respect for the bloke.

Wombat

I was one of those that was sad to see him go back then but not sure he would be the sort of player to be able to adapt to Okonball tbh, as he is more of a blunt butter knife than a sharp scalpel imho.

I'm still waiting to see a scalpel in yellow?!?

Rowdy

I think if this is his last season at Sydney (which I do) then heading over to the USA, to one of the lower table teams of the MLS or scraping his way out of the 2nd Division (where Hutcho is coaching) could be a viable option for him.

Hutcho just helped former CCM NYL player Steve Whyte secure a contract so may be able to help out his old sparring partner find a gig in one of the clubs through recomendation.

Simmo could just as easy get a contract in the lower ranked Asian Leagues like Thailand, Hong Kong etc.

The lack of game time at SydFC has its advantage:
- less wear and tear & possibly prolonging his career just that bit extra
...... I hope he gets to play on somewhere.

The guy is Central Coast till the day he dies ...... end of.

Rowdy

I suggest the USA, primarily because he was wanted by one of the MLS teams early on while at CCM & he was keen to make the move, but the club blocked the transfer/sale.

That and Hutcho providing a link.

Wombat

I've always shaken my head at the drivel on this site written about certain players and I'm not just talking about Dibo.
But the lack of regard for Budgie (and the fact that everyone else wants him) is a perfect example.
The sudden love in with Appi is alarming but self proving of my point.
Still it makes things interesting.

A forum member met me at half time midweek and asked me for my opinions. I gave them and they were positive about everyone as we were playing well.
Within 5 mins he had isolated Golec as a possible weak link and was loving DDS intelligence. Interesting. I must admit I was a bit gushing of Dutch Tom and Glover but apart from was totally neutral.

Big Al

I could sit and watch Mat hustle all day. Every one loves a hard worker (hence Appiah getting some love and Budgie the opposite).

However from and end product Roy was better than Mat had been in his previous year and now Asdrubal will be better than Roy (better bloody be).

Still love watching Mat for SFC myself but the league has moved past him IMO

At the end of the day forums work because we all value different things and have different opinions.. Be boring if we all were the same

Timmah

Also - word is Budgie was offered contracts from 3 other A-League clubs, for between double and triple his current wage with the Mariners but CCM wouldn't release him from year 2 of his 2 year contract.

That word must be pretty ordinary as he only re-signed at the back end of last season - this is year 1 of a 2 year contract.

true believer

Really??
It must be hilarious for other teams to watch him come off the bench and destroy us.
But he probably doesn't get to play against such a shit back 5 normally (that will change this year).
For me I Have nothing but respect for the bloke.
Lets put this in perpective if he played for us last year he would have got 5 red cards. Remember when he played against us last year or so and scored . it was because fielding double yellow a guy for simulation in the corner ffs .
We would have played with 9 men in games . Think about that if we get that stooge fielding again

Last edited:

Paolo

That word must be pretty ordinary as he only re-signed at the back end of last season - this is year 1 of a 2 year contract.
Whether its true or not, having one detail wrong (ie released from year 2 of contract or released from 2 year full contract) doesnt instantly make it bullshit

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred