• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

scottmac

Suspended
I find it hilarious (If true) He lost out to Appiah at the end of last year because he doesn't really have the technical skills to beat a man. He's got the pace but not alot else that will justify his position in the first 11. He got his chance and missed out. Now Trent, are you willing to fight and improve and take your chance when it comes again? Or will you slink away to the npl (because you won't be going anywhere else I'm afraid).
In saying that, maybe he needs the npl. Get some game time and try to develop some more skill on the ball.
The sign of a champion is how they face adversity. Not run from it.

But after all that, id really prefer we release him and sign a real starter for the right wing. Would really round our squad out in the attacking 3rd.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

If he is not good enough to play in front of Kwabsy or Hoole, who is going to want him in their first team?

He still has a lot of development to go and until that happens he will only get a bench spot in any other A-League side unless they have no wingers. I would prefer him to stay and develop his skills and force his spot in front of the other two.

Unless he has a serious offer from os which is seen as a step forward for him, I think the club is correct to hang onto him. No way should he be released and allowed to sign for a competitor. Contracts are for the benefit of more than one individual.

Maybe he wants to be a striker, who knows?

Gratis

I smell BS to be honest

Who would want out of their hometown club, the one who gives youth a go above all others, to go where? and sit on the bench instead.
I think this is a beat up by a guy who makes money out of rumours

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

Please don't let it be true, love watching the lad and think he could be a Socceroo with a bit of luck and work. Would be devastated to lose him.

Forum Phoenix

Monty aside I can't think of anyone who had a consistently good season last season. In a team that functioned so poorly over the last few years it's hard for any player to excel every game.

Thus, I'm a little bemused at the amount of criticism Pain has received.
Don't get me wrong - Pain does need to add some better finishing to his product this season. But, as I've said before, I genuinely believe that after his standout start in yellow and navy other teams worked out that you shut down Pain and mark out Royo and the Mariners are (were) toothless. He was effectively hamstrung playing against those kind of tactics and with no real options to pass to up front or in the middle.

This season that won't be good enough for opposition teams. Pain gets to do his thing in tandem with Hiariej, Brama, Hoole, DDS and Asdrubal - properly skilled, tactically aware, ball-players. Opposition teams will not be utilising their resources to simply shutting down Pain anywhere near as much - with that kind of freedom I'm sure we'll see what he can do in full flight again. Especially with the availability of players to receive from and pass to, and much more space that his teammates make for him to play through as they pull defenders out of position

There is a lot of potential in this team, even more so when you consider that the load will be more evenly shared with less pressure on individual players to achieve everything alone

Great post. Gratias, Gratis.

Wombat

I'm a fan.
If some people think Appiah is a better player then I'm stunned.
I'd be bringing him on as a super sub in 70th once Hoole has expended his energy.
He has more potential than most in our squad and if pain is out of form Hoole has showed he can play on the left and Budgy on the right.

Big Al

Monty aside I can't think of anyone who had a consistently good season last season. In a team that functioned so poorly over the last few years it's hard for any player to excel every game.

Thus, I'm a little bemused at the amount of criticism Pain has received.
Don't get me wrong - Pain does need to add some better finishing to his product this season. But, as I've said before, I genuinely believe that after his standout start in yellow and navy other teams worked out that you shut down Pain and mark out Royo and the Mariners are (were) toothless. He was effectively hamstrung playing against those kind of tactics and with no real options to pass to up front or in the middle.

This season that won't be good enough for opposition teams. Pain gets to do his thing in tandem with Hiariej, Brama, Hoole, DDS and Asdrubal - properly skilled, tactically aware, ball-players. Opposition teams will not be utilising their resources to simply shutting down Pain anywhere near as much - with that kind of freedom I'm sure we'll see what he can do in full flight again. Especially with the availability of players to receive from and pass to, and much more space that his teammates make for him to play through as they pull defenders out of position

There is a lot of potential in this team, even more so when you consider that the load will be more evenly shared with less pressure on individual players to achieve everything alone
I like what you say here gratis, however was it lack of ability to play consistently, lack of quality or lack of better planning and game plan from the coach? We do know last year was a bit of see what they can do and see who deserves to stay.
We haven't recruited a LW and are prepared to use RWers to back him up so there is pressure for him to perform.

I hope those better players make him better but if not he will be gone.

Big Al

Trent was aweful to end the season, mentally wasn't interested

Why would he want out? You only want out if someone else wants you, there would be some ringing around to see if others think he's worth a shot.

Let's face it he lost the battle with Appiah and checked out and is now clearly not in the starting 11 which he should not be in. However someone here suggested he had some tickets on himself early last year so he is probably pissed at the coach who doesn't see what he thinks he has. Sounds a little I want the the easy route. If you can't earn a starting spot over Hoole and Pain then you won't be walking into othersides.

Is the fact we've given youth a lot of game time hurting in this instance. In previous seasons we had weak squads and playing him was seen as one of the few positives but now we're building stronger squads he doesn't like earning that game time?

He has potential but needs a lot of work and maybe lacks mental strength.

Good on the club for not caving, you have a contract learn what that means. Unless you go overseas and we get some coin do your job. Our club has been to soft in the past and players might think they can force a move.

Rowdy

However someone here suggested he had some tickets on himself early last year so he is probably pissed at the coach who doesn't see what he thinks he has.
:innocent:

As to this rumour being 'bullshit' ? Ha
.... I'd say closer to being on the money !

Missing out on the recent Olyroo camp was seen with a 'silver lining' to it, for NOT having the possibility of rooming with Budgie's ego. ;)

Last edited:

Ozhammer

Hmmm, assuming this is true, when will guys like Trent learn that you have to serve your time in any walk of life. Many of this generation seem to think that if it doesn't happen now, they're off to pastures new (just look at the number of Aussie players who head off overseas, only to return a year or two later with their tail between their legs). I had to serve a four year apprenticeship in my professional life on doing the shitty jobs on crap wages but it was worth it in the end after I qualified and the same goes for young footballers. Learn the craft, work hard, bide your time and take your opportunities when they come along.

Interestingly, the conversation I had with Rosebud at the Mariners Palooza last Friday could not have been more different. He realises that the incoming players are likely to displace him from the starting line up but is focused on how much he can learn from them to make him a better player. That's the sort of attitude that will see someone being successful in the longer term.

Hopefully the club won't be blackmailed by T boy as they were with THB, who we all know ended up at the Smurfs after supposedly leaving to pursue his "studies". He needs to recognise that he is at one of the few clubs that is wedded to the concept of youth development.

scottmac

Suspended
Ibini was So much more talented than Trent at the same stage and look what happened to him. Back in the a league after a move which didn't quite work out and now in the US. What has Trent got to look forward to if he runs?
Bench time at Newcastle?

ZedSpecials

Insight Sports home of ; Roy O'donovan, Jake Adelson, Nick Fitzgerald, Liam Reddy and Trent "twinkle toes" Buhagiar.
Which coastie went and pinched the jam outta their donut, is what I want to know?

localpom

Hmmm, assuming this is true, when will guys like Trent learn that you have to serve your time in any walk of life. Many of this generation seem to think that if it doesn't happen now, they're off to pastures new (just look at the number of Aussie players who head off overseas, only to return a year or two later with their tail between their legs). I had to serve a four year apprenticeship in my professional life on doing the shitty jobs on crap wages but it was worth it in the end after I qualified and the same goes for young footballers. Learn the craft, work hard, bide your time and take your opportunities when they come along.

Interestingly, the conversation I had with Rosebud at the Mariners Palooza last Friday could not have been more different. He realises that the incoming players are likely to displace him from the starting line up but is focused on how much he can learn from them to make him a better player. That's the sort of attitude that will see someone being successful in the longer term.

Hopefully the club won't be blackmailed by T boy as they were with THB, who we all know ended up at the Smurfs after supposedly leaving to pursue his "studies". He needs to recognise that he is at one of the few clubs that is wedded to the concept of youth development.
Rosebud seems to have a good head on his shoulders for a young guy. Young players will also get noticed more in a successful team which i think we will be this season. It is in the clubs best interests to keep developing their young players who need time on the pitch. Everyone will have an opportunity. I like the way Appiah has responded in the last year or so.....he is giving it all he has in order to have a chance.

scottmac

Suspended
Rosebud seems to have a good head on his shoulders for a young guy. Young players will also get noticed more in a successful team which i think we will be this season. It is in the clubs best interests to keep developing their young players who need time on the pitch. Everyone will have an opportunity. I like the way Appiah has responded in the last year or so.....he is giving it all he has in order to have a chance.
Appiah did what Trent wants to do and how did that work out? Back at the team that gave him a start and fighting for his spot. And winning.

dibo

Are we piling on Buhagiar a bit quick?

The kid's barely out of school, and was flavour of the month for a while before dropping behind other teammates. He's raw, but every diamond starts out with rough edges.

Who knows if this Goal story has any legs to it. It has zero quotes in it, and if it's meant to be a bit of bargaining through the media it's a joke - he's coming from a position of weakness if he couldn't make it into our starting lineup ahead of Appiah or Pain.

That makes me think that maybe it's an agent with too much spare time, but Buhagiar's best approach is to work his arse off and claim a spot. That's going to start off by getting minutes off the bench, but he *is* a youngster with lots of time on his side. Let's not write him off either as a prospect or as a Mariner just yet.

Timmah

Are we piling on Buhagiar a bit quick?

The kid's barely out of school, and was flavour of the month for a while before dropping behind other teammates. He's raw, but every diamond starts out with rough edges.

Who knows if this Goal story has any legs to it. It has zero quotes in it, and if it's meant to be a bit of bargaining through the media it's a joke - he's coming from a position of weakness if he couldn't make it into our starting lineup ahead of Appiah or Pain.

That makes me think that maybe it's an agent with too much spare time, but Buhagiar's best approach is to work his arse off and claim a spot. That's going to start off by getting minutes off the bench, but he *is* a youngster with lots of time on his side. Let's not write him off either as a prospect or as a Mariner just yet.
This pile on reminds me of the Stan Grant/statue issue of the past fortnight. People reading reports of something and believe them wholly despite the fact there may or may not be truth to it

dibo

This pile on reminds me of the Stan Grant/statue issue of the past fortnight. People reading reports of something and believe them wholly despite the fact there may or may not be truth to it
That's a bit of a stretch. Nobody's accusing Buhagiar of being the "Aussie Taliban".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred