• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

ballantyne

My target for next year is 13 more points, so 36 in total. That would put us in the first round of the playoffs.
It's a tougher season ahead, to make that much improvement, then to have the same again in front of you just for a chance at the semis.

FFC Mariner

So 4 more wins.

Based on this season, 2 against Nix, we were robbed away to WSW and should have done the Scum away at least once.

Easy

Big Al

Fox just said we are rumoured to be interested in Joel Chianese. Why?
Stressed just a rumour. Not what we need

Wombat

We will be linked with alot of players. Many of them not much better that what we have. Chianese has skill and can finish but not that much better than Powell and appiah.

nebakke

We will be linked with alot of players. Many of them not much better that what we have. Chianese has skill and can finish but not that much better than Powell and appiah.

Yeah its been pretty clear for most of the season that armchair pundits who've never actually watched us play, assumed that we're in the market for average replacements in every position. Yes or Newcastle seem to have been the thing.
Don't believe a word of anything until there's something official from someone I reckon

bikinigirl

Agree and I feel the same way about our CAM and striker. These positions above all need quality and strong competition and depth. Roy had become incumbent and without pressure. The fact Okon played him over Bingham even though he's departing and was off his game shows that Bingham is in his eyes not capable of challenging for the spot yet. Bingham is a striker not a RW. I like him. But if he's not going to be played up front he should be cut and for his own sake better off elsewhere in his natural position - there is no career ahead for him on the wing imho.

Wikipedia,
Josh Bingham
Playing position Striker
Joshua "Josh" Bingham (born 27 December 1994) is an Australian professional footballer who plays as a centre forward for Central Coast Mariners.

Otherwise needs to edit his Wiki o_O

. i reckon Josh has been pretty hard done by ... it was frustrating seeing him come on LATE and stuck on the wing and i can see a few reasons this may have happened (not necessarily about Josh not putting pressure on Roy):
  • an insistence on playing a 'system' rather than changing the system to suit the players strengths and circumstances of the game
  • having a supposed 90 minute player in Roy
  • trying to negotiate Roy's contract extension (and managing one of the two biggest egos in the squad ... i am not even considering Tavares and Faty part of the squad)
. when he has played up front i think he has been decent and offers something different/complimentary to what Roy did. when Josh came on late against Newcastle we jokingly discussed that he should run out to the middle tell Roy that Okon said he had to move over to the wing as Josh was instructed to play upfront

. particularly for the latter part of the season Okon's subs were all too late to really have any impact on the game. I am not prepared to criticise Josh for late appearances and being played out of position. we at least need to give the bloke a chance to see what he can do

Forum Phoenix

I agree with all that. And this was not meant to be a post criticising Bingham, I might not have worded it the best sorry. But Okons system is half my point...

He has given every indication that he will not change it to suit the squad, and that was when he could do little about the players he had, unlike the squad that he will now shape for the season ahead, so I think it's safe to assume there's even less chance he'll change his system next season, and I still think based on the past 27 games that you would have to conclude that Okon sees a solid gap between Roy and Bingham.

Personally I've become far less sure there is one and wanted Bingham in for Roy to at the very least to snap Roy out of his malaise and or give Binngham his chance. Roy struggled to bring us into the game against big Aussie CB's in a way I feel that Bingham can and is valueable - but if Bingham is not genuinely in Paolos plans as s striker capable of challenging for that starting spot anytime soon, then imo we will now need to sign two strikers. Not one.

Bingham will not be the first young striker whose development was stunted by solely being stuck on the wing every now and then and worse I think Bingers is highly unlikely to forge himself a career on the wing whereas some strikers like Trent could, and then worse again at RM we already have multiple options.

Which is why I came in at the either in his plans or release him scenario.

Problem is I'm not sure who else would pick him up.

Last edited:

Pirate Pete

I could never work out what the use of bringing Bingers on to play on the wing.
If we're a goal down surely he should be in the middle AND Roy in the middle too.
Get some crosses in for Bingers to get too.

Big Al

I could never work out what the use of bringing Bingers on to play on the wing.
If we're a goal down surely he should be in the middle AND Roy in the middle too.
Get some crosses in for Bingers to get too.
Believe it was one of a couple of errors Paulo needs to work on for next year.

We ruined Duke playing him wide as well but at least he was quick.

The bombing it in the air when Bingham played left wing was stupid, was that the players or the plan?

Bingham played left wing when played as a winger. Shows we need a second left winger.

Also can be about developing Bingham to have variety in his game. If you are a bench player you need to be versatile.

Forum Phoenix

I agree re diversity, but Bingham is an out and out nine if ever I saw one.

No one tries harder than Matty Simon, but it's pretty evident already Bingham is much better technically as a footballer and has greater potential. But Matty was gifted with being able to consistently develop in a 442. I think if Bingham was given the same opportunity he'd surpass Matty's potential and likely surpass Roy in time also. But if we're playing 1 upfront then Okon will need and want a proven and polished finisher.

Agree re Duke and many others. I actually think Duke had more potential and ability than Juric - but his time on wing with us cost him (clearly frustrated him) and then ultimately saw him fall further from grace landing in RB. Though there's an honourable tradition of Aussie strikers going OS and ending up as full backs.

Last edited:

pjennings

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4602077/jets-keen-on-roy-but-other-talks-put-on-ice/

A-League: Jets remain keen on Roy O'Donovan but other talks on hold until new coach appointed
James Gardiner
17 Apr 2017, 4:30 p.m.

“Discussions with other players are on hold. The new coach has to sign the players.”

r47_0_1952_3000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IN DEMAND: Chief executive Lawrie McKinna is confident of signing Roy O'Donovan despite the Jets being without a coach after Mark Jones' exit.

A DECISION on the future of 10 off-contract players at the Jets has been put on hold but negotiations with Central Coast striker Roy O’Donovan are continuing.

Mariners coach Paul Okon confirmed on Saturday that the Irishman, who scored 11 goals this campaign, would be departing Gosford.

“We wish Roy well. He’s been great value for us,” Okon said. “He’s a goalscorer and whichever team has him next season will be very lucky.”

The Jets are the front runners to secure the 31-year-old but Western Sydney are also understood to have tabled an offer. Brisbane had also been in talks but balked at the wage demands.

Jets chief executive Lawrie McKinna was confident that the sacking of coach Mark Jones on Sunday would not impact on negotiations and remains confident of signing the fiery front man.

“I spoke to the boy and explained what happened re Mark Jones,” McKinna said.

The Jets have already added Daniel Georgievski, Kosta Petratos and Mario Shabow to the roster for next season.

They have also been in talks with several other Australian-based players, but McKinna said those discussions would cease until a new coach is appointed.

“With Roy the talks were in an advanced stage,” McKinna said. “Discussions with other players are on hold. The new coach has to sign the players.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred