• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

pjennings

I'd love to know what the cap is. If the cap is close to $3m which is what was mooted soon after the TV deal that is one thing. If it is $3.8 million as they said on the podcast that is something entirely different. The quality of the visa players we could target are on another level.

bikinigirl

I'd love to know what the cap is. If the cap is close to $3m which is what was mooted soon after the TV deal that is one thing. If it is $3.8 million as they said on the podcast that is something entirely different. The quality of the visa players we could target are on another level.

. i'd be very surprised if the cap was more than $3m ... i think the boys on the podcast were dreaming

. besides, the cap is less relevant than what the grant is ... that is what will determine how much we have to spend

bikinigirl

I don't know what type of marquee your thinking about but I'm thinking berisha broich castro fornaroli.

. yeah sorry, i was thinking of a marquee in the true sense of the word (or as originally intended) - somebody that came to the league as a known name ... not somebody who made their name in the league

. in that light your point is valid. but it doesn't change my view either (regarding our position on squad spend)

scottmac

Suspended
. yeah sorry, i was thinking of a marquee in the true sense of the word (or as originally intended) - somebody that came to the league as a known name ... not somebody who made their name in the league

. in that light your point is valid. but it doesn't change my view either (regarding our position on squad spend)
I understand what you mean on the spend and the average player but would the Mariners then loose what we are trying to build ourselves on? We don't want squads like the other teams. We Want talented youngsters so they move on to create us revenue. Can you fill your team with the same average aleague squad players and have a fair amount of talented youth? I can't see us ever having the average squad player of the same value as the other teams because we will be taking a punt on youngsters more often than not.

Which is why i think what we can do and what we must do is get our import signings right. 5 great players maybe 1 or 2 of them stars could aleiviate the pressure that our young guys are having heaped upon them.
If we could top it off with a player outside the cap that has maybe played a high professional level then it changes everything for the team. More spend for our imports and locals for one.

It probably won't happen.
It really should though. It's time on field football was the #1 priority for a season.

bikinigirl

I understand what you mean on the spend and the average player but would the Mariners then loose what we are trying to build ourselves on? We don't want squads like the other teams. We Want talented youngsters so they move on to create us revenue. Can you fill your team with the same average aleague squad players and have a fair amount of talented youth? I can't see us ever having the average squad player of the same value as the other teams because we will be taking a punt on youngsters more often than not.

Which is why i think what we can do and what we must do is get our import signings right. 5 great players maybe 1 or 2 of them stars could aleiviate the pressure that our young guys are having heaped upon them.
If we could top it off with a player outside the cap that has maybe played a high professional level then it changes everything for the team. More spend for our imports and locals for one.

It probably won't happen.
It really should though. It's time on field football was the #1 priority for a season.

. i don't think we are disagreeing with one another here and the reason i tried to differentiate value from worth. because as we have seen in the last few years you can't just have 'talented youngsters', you need talented experience to help them grow - it is these experienced, on the pitch, 'teachers' which brings your average spend up

. if we don't spend over the cap then we are at a disadvantage to every other team (and become more reliant on the underlying value of the 'talented youngsters'

It's time on field football was the #1 priority for a season.

. absolutely! i understand that survival has been important ... and Charlesworth has to take a little more responsibility for the position he has found himself in. but he owns a football team ... and the way the club has performed in recent years ... i can only see it's value diminishing

. is suspect he expected a big jump in revenue from the TV deal to provide a big boost to the underlying value ... but this TV deal won't do that. he now needs to arrest the decline in value (MHO) of the football club

pjennings

There is no inherent value in a football club, only in its squad and its assets (or its owner's assets). The TV deal wouldn't have added value to the club, only income, which would make it easier for Michael Charlesworth to fund the club. The fact that that income source seems likely to be disappointing only shows the importance of the strategy of chasing alternative income streams.

While the COE may be seen as a medium or even long term source of income, the management rights to the stadium, with no or even minimal changes to the stadium, will make an enormous difference.

The theory is that if we do establish alternative income streams that it will give us an advantage over those clubs that do not have or cannot have those streams and have to rely on the size of TV deal or the benevolence of their owner to continually dip into their pocket to fund the squad.

Ozhammer

There is no inherent value in a football club, only in its squad and its assets (or its owner's assets). The TV deal wouldn't have added value to the club, only income, which would make it easier for Michael Charlesworth to fund the club. The fact that that income source seems likely to be disappointing only shows the importance of the strategy of chasing alternative income streams.

While the COE may be seen as a medium or even long term source of income, the management rights to the stadium, with no or even minimal changes to the stadium, will make an enormous difference.

The theory is that if we do establish alternative income streams that it will give us an advantage over those clubs that do not have or cannot have those streams and have to rely on the size of TV deal or the benevolence of their owner to continually dip into their pocket to fund the squad.

Given the typical A-League model and the limited way in which that works here on the Coast, MC has to think about other ways to drive revenue to make the Mariners sustainable.

The trick is however, to do that without hamstringing your playing roster by applying false economies. At the end of the day the club is in the entertainment business and its sole product is what is delivered on the pitch, which has been sub-standard for 3 seasons now.

The adage of 'build it and they will come' springs to mind but even a successful team like SFC has struggled to bring in hugely improved crowd numbers, so it is clearly not as simple as all that.

IMHO, the fact that the club has maintained the levels of membership that it has, given the on-field product, is nothing short of remarkable. That said, the club really needs to show that big strides have been made in the coming season, or even the die-hard fans will arguably start to lose faith.

Given the exodus of players so far, we must hope that PO sees the necessity of retaining Monty, or we will run the very real risk of becoming a rudderless ship. You only have to look at the struggles of WSW to see the difficulty of continually reinventing a team and even the introduction of a handful of new faces can significantly change the way a team plays (not always for the better). Consistency is probably the most precious commodity for any sporting team and is consequently often the hardest thing to achieve.

Big Al

Given the typical A-League model and the limited way in which that works here on the Coast, MC has to think about other ways to drive revenue to make the Mariners sustainable.

The trick is however, to do that without hamstringing your playing roster by applying false economies. At the end of the day the club is in the entertainment business and its sole product is what is delivered on the pitch, which has been sub-standard for 3 seasons now.

The adage of 'build it and they will come' springs to mind but even a successful team like SFC has struggled to bring in hugely improved crowd numbers, so it is clearly not as simple as all that.

IMHO, the fact that the club has maintained the levels of membership that it has, given the on-field product, is nothing short of remarkable. That said, the club really needs to show that big strides have been made in the coming season, or even the die-hard fans will arguably start to lose faith.

Given the exodus of players so far, we must hope that PO sees the necessity of retaining Monty, or we will run the very real risk of becoming a rudderless ship. You only have to look at the struggles of WSW to see the difficulty of continually reinventing a team and even the introduction of a handful of new faces can significantly change the way a team plays (not always for the better). Consistency is probably the most precious commodity for any sporting team and is consequently often the hardest thing to achieve.
Nice start, here's hoping you hang around

Been a few new posters lately, it's good to see keep them coming they have all been good posts

Reactions: adz

scottmac

Suspended

Is it really a necessity to retain monty?
I mean i really want him to stay don't get me wrong. But is a player like monty something that PO is going to sign. Take away the loyalty aspect and the captian aspect and the fact he's just a f**king legend, he's not the typical player PO is going to want in his midfield. I mean he played him way more forward than other ccm coaches have when we had a very inexperienced back 5. The fact he hasn't been re signed speaks volumes to me. PO is looking for something else.
I think we could do without him or replace him with something else but f**k i hope we don't.

Wombat

I think next season it is imperative that we have Monty. If he was ineffective i'd say let him go but it is the Berry's, Rose's and to some extent Fab, Pain and Trent that have been ineffective in the middle.
It will probably his last year for us as a starting 11 player. Lets utilise him while we can. Plus we are soft as shite apart from him.

Ozhammer

I think next season it is imperative that we have Monty. If he was ineffective i'd say let him go but it is the Berry's, Rose's and to some extent Fab, Pain and Trent that have been ineffective in the middle.
It will probably his last year for us as a starting 11 player. Lets utilise him while we can. Plus we are soft as shite apart from him.

Monty is the glue holding a lot of stuff together both on and off the park, so he is not someone we can afford to lose IMO. Whilst I don't think he is Okon's sort of player (I gather PO has not been big on speaking with his senior player group this past season which is somewhat disconcerting), who else are the team going to look to for leadership next season? Storm? Great guy but still young and inexperienced in real terms. Posco? As much as I like him, he is also relatively inexperienced and seemingly somewhat injury-prone. Also if my jungle drums are right, the offer the club has made him is pretty ordinary and Perth are circling. It is probably only his latest injury that has prevented an offer coming in already.

A team captain should be about much more than just an armband, he should be someone that is a true professional, who should embody what your club aspires to be all about. Accordingly, Monty is surely the only candidate?

Okon seemed to previously think his name would be enough to lure players to the club and whilst that may be true for some of the youngsters that he had involvement with at national team level, i am not so sure he carries much weight outside of that arena. Like most fans I want Paolo to be a success but the reality is that he is on his training wheels at club level, as was Arnie when he first came to us. The real question is does he have the chops to grow into the role whilst dealing with all the peripheral issues that come with managing a club like ours?

Time will tell.

Jocwa08

Do we still have a link with Sheffield united, I know we've received Travis and Monty from them. They've trailed Sainsbury and Warren (and signed him). Arnie had an interview for the vacant manager role there and Walmsley was involved with their youth setup. Anyways they've just been promoted to the championship after running away with the league ending on 100 points, a few of their squad players could be handy, the likes of Scougall, Done, Reed or Whiteman

Last edited:

Ozhammer

Melb City have released Steve Kuzmanovski, Josh Rose, Nicolas Colazo and Corey Gameiro.

Any takers for us?

If Gameiro could stay injury-free he'd be worth a look but his track record with his knee isn't very encouraging unfortunately and I wouldn't have the faith in our S&C coach having a strategy to put that right tbh. There are an unprecedented number of players off contract this year, so there is likely to be lots of options, provided the club can get its sh*t together and start making realistic offers and not trying to penny pinch. Otherwise we will be sifting through the leftovers that the other clubs don't want.

Gratis

I'd take Rose but as a sub only - love the guy but age catches up and Galloway deserves the spot imo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred