• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

scottmac

Suspended
Tough call, but I wonder if there's either someone in the wings or a mismatch between expected salary and perceived contribution.

They've been negotiating for the past 8 weeks. He's not prepared to take the pay cut they want him to I'd say, & they said well go & find someone else to give it to you.
Shame.
He would be a great 2nd or 3rd option.

Atomic

Great servant of the club and, yes, he bleeds yellow… but his time has come to an end. C'est la vie.

VicMariner

No one comes before the team. He had 12 great months over 2 seasons then left & wasn't the same. Let's see who they replace him with. We may be saying Matty who in 7 months. (or we may be necking ourselves)

Put it this way, we've (certainly I have) been calling for a real f**king striker for years. A true 9. Maybe we are getting one.
A big bad No. 9 would be bloody marvelous!
Someone who can hit double figures every season.

mariner72

Club needs to be more ruthless and a good decision. Can't make decisions on local sentiment any more. I wish him best although doubt he'll get a better contract and I do recall him moving to Korea not so long ago chasing the $'s

MrCelery

Sad to see, as I've always enjoyed Mat's passion, especially against the Scum. But for whatever reason he certainly lately did not appear to be the player he was before he left in that emotional farewell game. Hopefully he will recover his mojo wherever he goes.

dibo

This is the right decision. Sad but had to happen.

Interesting Adam Kwasnik isn't towing the company line:

Adam Kwasnik @kwas23 · 3h3 hours ago
If it is true, letting Simon go is a bad decision. No local products & more importantly no proven goal scorers in the @CCMariners squad.
Injury issues. Now 28. Close to 3.5 games between goals. I'd argue he's not a 'proven goalscorer'; he's a useful squad player but he's not a front line striker to match Janko, Burns, Berisha, etc.

The 'no local products' bit I get, but players have to be good enough to warrant their spot. If he was offered a squad position but wanted star money...

style_cafe

Injury issues. Now 28. Close to 3.5 games between goals. I'd argue he's not a 'proven goalscorer'; he's a useful squad player but he's not a front line striker to match Janko, Burns, Berisha, etc.

The 'no local products' bit I get, but players have to be good enough to warrant their spot. If he was offered a squad position but wanted star money...

McBreen was 3.39 games/goal
Petrovski was 3.14 games / goal
Simon 3.61 games / goal
Ibini 3.66 games / goal
Kwassie 3.89 games/ goal
Janko all time record is 1.88 games/ goal ... not a bad strike rate

nebakke

Club needs to be more ruthless and a good decision. Can't make decisions on local sentiment any more. I wish him best although doubt he'll get a better contract and I do recall him moving to Korea not so long ago chasing the $'s

Wasn't he MOVED as much as movING? It was the same clean-out in which Rostyn Griffiths was told that he was going to China and Wilko was sold off as well...

nebakke

It's a shockingly poor decision I think. He might not be the best striker in the league, and certainly has had injury issues, but everyone seems to forget that he's actually had quite a decent strike-rate for the games he's played this season... Off the top of my head, better than anyone - perhaps bar Ferreira?

On top of that, we're about to wave goodbye to Hutch, losing a club-man on the pitch... Matty could've probably lifted the responsibility there a bit.
And screw that, there's also something to be said for playing local - otherwise we might as well go to NSO or wherever else they want to send us... Recruitment and commitment to pathways for the coast, combined with a bit of local patriotism, are the only things keeping the club afloat this far.

Last edited:

dibo

In other words, we have never had a front line striker
Pretty much. We've had seasons where Simon and McBreen have been very effective but we've never had a consistently lethal striker. We've never had a striker who you'd consistently back to score at least 10 goals a season.

Now, I'm not saying we ought to be moving Simon on. There might be an argument to keep him as a contributor, but not as a keystone.

But if he's hunting for biggish salary with a patchy recent injury and performance history then I think the club is right to not agree. Every dollar spent on him is by necessity a dollar that can't be offered to another player. There's no local product discount, there's no sentimentality bonus. It's cold maths.

For a given dollar spend there's got to be an expected product. If the club doesn't think the product matches the price tag...

mariner72

It's a shockingly poor decision I think. He might not be the best striker in the league, and certainly has had injury issues, but everyone seems to conveniently forget that he's actually had quite a decent strike-rate for the games he's played this season... Off the top of my head, better than anyone - perhaps bar Ferreira?

On top of that, we're about to wave goodbye to Hutch, losing a club-man on the pitch... Matty could've probably lifted the responsibility there a bit.
And screw that, there's also something to be said for playing local - otherwise we might as well go to NSO or wherever else they want to send us... Recruitment and commitment to pathways for the coast, combined with a bit of local patriotism, are the only things keeping the club afloat this far.
You can have all the local patriotism you like but 3 goals this season for any first choice Striker isn't worth another contract simple as that, how many assists has he had too I wonder?
Get over this 'local' shit and think what Fabio has achieved in just a couple of games, there is our template and benchmark for next season surely. I don't give a dam if our striker was born in Gosford, Gothenburg or even Gondar, for Gods sake

Wombat

No one comes before the team. He had 12 great months over 2 seasons then left & wasn't the same. Let's see who they replace him with. We may be saying Matty who in 7 months. (or we may be necking ourselves)

Put it this way, we've (certainly I have) been calling for a real f**king striker for years. A true 9. Maybe we are getting one.

Or we could be playing with a 5ft 7in winger instead.

Terrible decision for mine with our current squad.

nebakke

You can have all the local patriotism you like but 3 goals this season for any first choice Striker isn't worth another contract simple as that, how many assists has he had too I wonder?
Get over this 'local' shit and think what Fabio has achieved in just a couple of games, there is our template and benchmark for next season surely. I don't give a dam if our striker was born in Gosford, Gothenburg or even Gondar, for Gods sake

Three goals in 5 games, is very different to three goals in 20 though... I know he's been injured and there's a risk that it's throwing good money after bad, but beggars can't be chosers.

You might get sick of this 'local shit', but the thing is... We've been selling ourselves for years, as the 'local club' the 'club with a pathway' - the 'youth development club'. Part of that is is playing and developing local talent while also showing them that there is a direction and a place for them.

So again, it's also about what you think the club should be an where it should be going I guess.... Yep, Ferreira should be our template... But do you honetly think he will be? Even more so, do you trust that we'll not just pull a 'Flores' and focus the entire next season on getting the ball to Ferreira?

This season we've now lost Dukie and Matty Simon in attack, we've gained Major - who might do OK one day, but has a ways to go... So we're playing Fitz up front because... Well... he's all there is... Unless the club is actually honestly preparing to throw some serious cash around we're looking at starting next season in an even worse position than we were in at the start of this one...
Ultimately THAT's my greatest fear and frustration.

dibo

Before making my mind up for good on whether this is a good call, I'll wait for our recruitment to be completed. Our current squad is not exactly the squad we're carrying into 2015/16; our recruiting isn't finished.

Wombat

What a load of tosh....Brad Porter anyone???

Simon is not top drawer but is 100% committed. Moss would have gone a couple of weeks earlier were it not for Mattys 3 goals.
Simon in a decently coached team and played as a number 9 with SOME supporting players is a handful for any team.
We have made a mistake here IMHO.

dibo

Not going to engage with you on football (there's no point), but am curious what the hell Brad Porter has to do with it?

sydmariner

What a load of tosh....Brad Porter anyone???

Simon is not top drawer but is 100% committed. Moss would have gone a couple of weeks earlier were it not for Mattys 3 goals.
Simon in a decently coached team and played as a number 9 with SOME supporting players is a handful for any team.
We have made a mistake here IMHO.
they didn't get rid of him he retired cos of a a knee injury

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred