• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad 2022/2023

timmers

It’s so hard to say. The apparent “large” transfer fee and Birras salary can go towards the experienced CB and CM we desperately need. We could do with another aleague ready good age CB too so we have atleast 4. Sozer is passable and could come into his own. I feel like he was signed with the expectation Birra would be poached at some point. As has been mentioned as long as there’s a fee from an overseas club, that is our business model. From what I’ve read, Birra wouldn’t be a walk in #1 at Dundee. He’s being signed to provide depth and competition.
For what its worth, re Birraz new club.
1. It's Dundee United. "Dundee" usually refers to Dundee FC which is their rival club, currently in 2nd division (their home grounds are a couple of hundred metres from each other).
2. I asked my mate who is a United fan whether Birraz would be their #1, here is what he said
"We signed a guy called Eriksson last season, who apparently isn’t very good. He hasn’t played a single game for us. We also have Jack Newman who is still only 19. We sold our two other goalkeepers. So, I would presume he would be our #1."

Ozhammer

This sort of thing is so destabilising for any team, literally days out from our first competitive game and we lose such an important player and our captain.

Whilst I hope the move works out for Birraz and can only wish him well, he leaves a huge hole to fill and I would be very concerned if we decided to move forward with Sozer as our No.1 and a youth keeper as backup. Not saying Yaren shouldn’t be given a shot but it’s definitely something of a gamble, which could go either way.

It will be interesting to see if the club goes looking for a real replacement. If MC were still in charge, I think we all know what the answer to that would have been however.

Meerkat

This sort of thing is so destabilising for any team, literally days out from our first competitive game and we lose such an important player and our captain.

Whilst I hope the move works out for Birraz and can only wish him well, he leaves a huge hole to fill and I would be very concerned if we decided to move forward with Sozer as our No.1 and a youth keeper as backup. Not saying Yaren shouldn’t be given a shot but it’s definitely something of a gamble, which could go either way.

It will be interesting to see if the club goes looking for a real replacement. If MC were still in charge, I think we all know what the answer to that would have been however.
I think my biggest concern at this point is that if we were still pleading with him to stay yesterday, we do not have a plan. We certainly have not bought another keeper. Peil is in panic mode thinking we are up s!it creek.
Not reassuring at all in my mind.

shipwreck

I think my biggest concern at this point is that if we were still pleading with him to stay yesterday, we do not have a plan. We certainly have not bought another keeper. Peil is in panic mode thinking we are up s!it creek.
This 100%

Corsair

My impression is that Sozer's not Pearce. He's actually a reasonable keeper and I thought the young fella did well in that cup game. Agree we now need another keeper but we've got a couple months still before the season starts. More of a concern is losing 3 starters from defence all at the same time. Good job we've got some firepower up front.

Ironbark

It's ok. Congratulations to Birraz - he has been massive for us and we owe him so much, including the advancement of his career. CCM hero.

After last season we ran the risk of losing a lot of key and developing players and in seasons past would have been stripped bare, almost certainly by our near b*stard neighbours. We are strong enough now to avoid that but were always going to lose a few to overseas - and in fairness those who got gigs deserve them.

In response we have recruited well so far and have made some money from sales. Add to that Peil's commitment to the cap and we have more resources to bring good players in. We have a settled enough squad to compete in the Australia cup to begin with and I expect several more signings yet.

I think most new signings will all add real value because:
1. Monty/Serg recruit very well and identify talent even better
2. We have a club that has some appeal to come to (again, finally)
3. We won't be offering peanuts and a swim at the beach as payment

There is huge potential in front of us. Birraz was the best stopper in the league, but if the team in front is solid then we can get away with just a very good shotstopper.
Pour some money into the backline - and I still think we need some depth in the mids (sorry but we're screwed if 1 or 2 of Balard/Steele et al. get cards or injured and we'll just be overrun in midfield) - and we are in the best position we've been in since 2013.

Congrats to all the boys who moved overseas - all well deserved and this is our model.
Onwards and upwards.

Big Al

Wow can’t believe i am disappointed to loose Birraz. I remembered the Newcastle guy who couldn’t stop a 40m bomb that went through his stomach but he has improved alot since then and was an outstanding keeper. Happy to eat my thoughts on him.

Happy wife happy life but he did like it here and with the club wanting a long extension that is great to see the club wanting quality tied up and he was keen too.

The club fighting for a quality player is also a good sign.
Good luck Mark

Big Al

@Shaun Mielekamp is it possible or do we already add payments to the club from transfers to extensions.

I know it’s common to have a sell on clause but what about the opposite if that player stays and becomes successful at the club. Say like a Rogic. We were always hoping for a sell on in their first contracts but could we also ask for compensation if they sign new contracts at the same clubs?

Ww don’t get the best transfer fees and that might be a way of trying to maximise our return if a player is successful at the buying club

Michael

Pretty heart breaking news. BUT best wishes to Birra. Incredible servant to our club and definitely deserves a euro move. Still sucks. Atleast we get a fee. And I take solace that Rich went out of his way to do all he could, f**king charlesworth would never have done the same. That bodes well I think… an owner that’s taking an active role with the players and staff and is physically around the place alot.

I think Sozer will be given the chance to seal his spot. That fee should be used on a quality CB to partner hally.

i also interpreted that Ollie has in a way shafted us by telling Dundee Utd about Birra.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred