• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I still have mixed feelings about the whole DDS situation. From all reports, he didn't really want to be here and left on that note.

That aside, there's no doubt he has huge talent. Fingers crossed we get to see the absolute best of him this season.

He didn't want to be here, shit attitude, terrible performance.
At Sydney, he was still quite a low tier player.
16 players and not one that I think is starting quality
There's a couple that are starting quality.....but nobody that other teams would ever be worried about. Nobody that's going to make another team have a specific plan in place to handle, that's going to make other fans say 'that player's going to cause us problems'.
In short, we have a couple of HAL quality squaddies and an NPL team.

We need some quality in the upcoming signings.
And we absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, need at least one top-tier player. We haven't had one for a long time.

4 or 5 signings could make all the difference......but I fear that I'm just expecting another batch of has-beens and players with 'potential'.

We certainly have some players with potential in this squad. But we have for the last few seasons.

Jog my memory - were we spending the cap or the cap floor this upcoming season?

We all know that we need to be spending above the cap.....but that's not going to happen. Unfortunately, the longer we don't, the less attractive we are as an investment.

I think Staj has the knowledge and skill to get the best out of players, and to formulate effective game plans.

IF Staj lives up to this and IF the visa signings are the right quality and balance then we might get have a shot at being a mid-table team.

I'm hopeful but definitely not optimistic.

Agree. And honestly, mid-table is all I'm asking for. 6th place, I'd be happy with. Even just outside that, at least that shows movement in the right direction.
1 or 2 places off the bottom wouldn't mean much.

It's just hard to be optimistic because there's still nothing I can say at this stage that I haven't said before the last few seasons.

FFC Mariner

We sign rejects who struggle in NSWPL2 and we refuse to play Glassock and let him leave to an inferior comp.
He is NSWPL1 quality already and is at least as good as what we already have.
Coast junior and exactly what we "say" we are all about.
Can he become an AL regular? Who can tell but he is a popular and natural leader so maybe doesn't fit the current culture
I hold grave fears for our youth development.

Tevor

To be honest I’m feeling more comfortable with the squad build when I use hindsight on the last four seasons. The last few seasons Okon and MM did get the cash to sign some good players and on paper the squad looked strong and we all know how those seasons ended.

This season I’m going to show faith in Staj and his long term vision as we really do need a manager to stay for three or four seasons and rebuild the club. I don’t need a quick sugar hit from a Visa player who are high risk in my opinion. If he puts smart game plans together coupled with a focused team with a good culture then I will be happy at season end. Rudan clearly showed what a good team culture can achieve.

Therefore I’ll renew as mentioned more on Staj than anything else. And if he fails then then the Club should just fold as no one will succeed.

turbo

The last few seasons Okon and MM did get the cash to sign some good players and on paper the squad looked strong and we all know how those seasons ended.
I think what Anton said about spending well is very important. You can spend the full cap and overspend on average players and be no better off. From various articles we were interested in Fitzgerald but not at the price being asked, multiple teams were interested in getting Aiden but the roar were willing to pay an inflated fee.
With our limited means we need to be willing to pass on those players and back ourselves to find a capable alternative so we can spend the funds where they are really needed. It also leads me to believe we aren’t over paying for the likes of Tongyik or Majok. We’ve got two expensive players on more than they’re probably worth from MM’s signings so once those are gone next season we should be able to spend our resources even better.

turbo

McGing had his contract with Wisła Płock mutually terminated last week
I’d take him back. Has his critics but I think he is an acceptable RB and that opens up options for us. With what we have atm I’ve got GG playing RB in my suggested xi, Mcging would allow him to move over or forward to DM.

Ozhammer

I’d take him back. Has his critics but I think he is an acceptable RB and that opens up options for us. With what we have atm I’ve got GG playing RB in my suggested xi, Mcging would allow him to move over or forward to DM.
This for me, a known quantity with a solid attitude, so we could do a lot worse.

turbo

Some talk on Twitter he may be off to Sydney, but unless they’re intending on moving him in to a CB role I can’t see him getting much game time. Zero chance of displacing a fit Grant.

Pirate Pete

Some talk on Twitter he may be off to Sydney, but unless they’re intending on moving him in to a CB role I can’t see him getting much game time. Zero chance of displacing a fit Grant.
Yeah, that'll be right. I don't know why we got rid of him in the first place.
Good bench bloke who could come on and cover defence or midfield.
Maybe he wasn't the greatest but he did try.

If he goes to Sydney he'll get as much game time as DDS got.

turbo

Maybe he wasn't the greatest but he did try.
I think he copped more than his fair share because people also remember his earlier games with us. He improved defensively a fair bit and prior to Aspros return might well have been our best defender. If he came back and we got to a place where he was considered the weak point of our back line I’d be very happy with our improvement.

pjennings

I think he copped more than his fair share because people also remember his earlier games with us. He improved defensively a fair bit and prior to Aspros return might well have been our best defender. If he came back and we got to a place where he was considered the weak point of our back line I’d be very happy with our improvement.

I never liked him as a CB - but as a traditional defensive RB I thought he was pretty solid.

Wombat

I have now problem with McGing on min wage as a back up RB but he is not starting 11 material.

Leaves his man, ball watches, poor passer and poor crosser. The positives are he likes the ball and is very fit. Also a very nice bloke.

Antlion

I have now problem with McGing on min wage as a back up RB but he is not starting 11 material.

Leaves his man, ball watches, poor passer and poor crosser. The positives are he likes the ball and is very fit. Also a very nice bloke.
This for me, 100%

With the spots we have left the MINIMUM we need is starting HAL quality. Practically we actually need better to lift the mean quality of the team to average

Ozhammer

There were two Korean players and their translator at training today apparently. Hopefully the club will announce them officially soon, so we can work out how and where they will fit into the team.

Shaun Mielekamp

Hi everyone, just to confirm for you that we have two Korean players on trial who started today. We have been in discussions with these players for quite sometime now. We will provide more updates through the week, they have brought their own translator to help them while they are here. For those very keen to know who it is Kim Eun-Sun and Lee Sang-ho.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred