• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Michael

another young exciting player we should have a crack on a loan deal is Ajdin Hrustic who’s at Tommy’s old side in Holland. Been around the Roo’s a few times. Can play out wide and #10.

Tim

I start this post with an admission that I know little about the technical aspects of goalkeeping but believe the following has occurred:
- Staj is an excellent man manager who has instilled a greater sense of belief in both BK and AP (his major coaching skill might be getting the best out of what he has at his disposal, ie picking from a set pool of players like he would have had to do with the Matildas and working with the talent at hand - look at Clisby as an example, looks twice the player since Staj arrived and speaks glowingly of him);
- CCM will have to keep at least one of them as they will be cheap;
- the last few games have demonstrated both BK and AP can be competent (if not good) keepers at HAL level with an organised defence;
- Staj might consider them even better options with some sensible quality defensive signings and a full off-season as a team.

Just some thoughts but I think BK has markedly improved since the arrival of Staj. Jury out on AP but re discipline but he was not alone and it makes me wonder what the culture was like towards the end of Mulvey’s reign...

What do people think?

marinermick

I start this post with an admission that I know little about the technical aspects of goalkeeping but believe the following has occurred:
- Staj is an excellent man manager who has instilled a greater sense of belief in both BK and AP (his major coaching skill might be getting the best out of what he has at his disposal, ie picking from a set pool of players like he would have had to do with the Matildas and working with the talent at hand - look at Clisby as an example, looks twice the player since Staj arrived and speaks glowingly of him);
- the last few games have demonstrated both BK and AP can be competent (if not good) keepers at HAL level with an organised defence;
- Staj might consider them even better options with some sensible quality defensive signings and a full off-season as a team.

Just some thoughts but I think BK has markedly improved since the arrival of Staj. Jury out on AP but re discipline but he was not alone and it makes me wonder what the culture was like towards the end of Mulvey’s reign...

What do people think?

Word is that Pearce has a deal for next season and Kennedy will not.

pjennings

I think BK is at a level of a lot of HAL keepers - it is just that we have had an awful defence for many years averaging over 57 goals against us in the last 5 seasons. His record is marginally better than the average over the past five seasons and also better than the 3 season when he wasn't here. He is not a great keeper - but he is also not as bad as many make out. Our defence has been woeful both in personnel and structure. It would take an extraordinary keeper to have made us look better than we have been.

Simply put - there is no extraordinary keeper in the A League any more. Thomas is probably the best we have. But compare him to Maty, Danny, Mitch Langerak, Eugene at his best, Theo and Covic. These guys are all better keepers and we have none that are close to them any more.

Having said that - having been spoilt by Maty and Danny (and even Creepy for a few games) I always thought of BK as the backup keeper and wanted a better keeper as first choice.

TBH - I thought BK and Pearce would both be on the way out - which would be my preferred option. I want two higher quality keepers. However, if we can pick up a gem as first choice I can live with either as the backup provided we get the defence personnel and structure right.

Forum Phoenix

My main concern is that while he is only 22 a lot of his football development apparently was not as a keeper. You cannot switch to be a keeper at a late age and expect to be a great keeper. Things that should come natural if you have being it from childhood do not come naturally. You can improve to the extent that you are a competent keeper - but you will always be that split second slower.
Interesting, didn’t know that PJ. What age did he switch?

Forum Phoenix

What do people think?

I like your reasoning. But half the reason our teams confidence grew so low imo is because of his consistently bad keeping. He’s failed too many times now, so in my eyes he’s not redeemable and must go. If he was younger I may be kinder. But he’s 32, had every opportunity in the world, so his ship has sailed for me.

pjennings

Interesting, didn’t know that PJ. What age did he switch?

Sorry FP - I'm not sure. I read it a while ago. He started playing at five somewhere between Newcastle and Taree. By the time he got to Newcastle youth at 16 he was a keeper. I think it was Zane that said his background on the field was an advantage as it helped with his distribution with his feet.

Insertnamehere

another young exciting player we should have a crack on a loan deal is Ajdin Hrustic who’s at Tommy’s old side in Holland. Been around the Roo’s a few times. Can play out wide and #10.
Heapsa blokes like ajdin we should look at. There's a kid playing Serie C on loan from Udinese or someone. His name alludes me. Winger. 20-21. Will be an NT player.
Whatever happened ed to Xane Zaineddeine? He was the next big thing from Australia.
Edit: Reno Piscopo. Ikonomidis like.

turbo

He is not a great keeper - but he is also not as bad as many make out.

I’ve got no doubt he’s been exposed more than he should and asked to do more than can reasonably be asked, but on the same note he just hasn’t been consistent and there have been some shockers. You don’t often see the shockers from the likes of Thomas, Young, Moss or Galecovic. Actually the only one who comes to mind on that level this season is Janjetovic. Reddy is a good example of an OK keeper with a good team in front of him.

Young has had a heap of work to do this year as well but I don’t recall seeing many shockers from him. Beaten quite a lot sure but I still find myself thinking he is a big part of why we’re last and the roar aren’t.

If we got the Kennedy we saw in his last game 80% of the time I’ve got no doubt we’d have locked him in already but the consistency hasn’t been there and we’re at a point we can’t afford to gamble on it. Pearce is likely cheaper and being young still has potential as a backup with the right development. But we need a solid first choice keeper.

Michael

Heapsa blokes like ajdin we should look at. There's a kid playing Serie C on loan from Udinese or someone. His name alludes me. Winger. 20-21. Will be an NT player.
Whatever happened ed to Xane Zaineddeine? He was the next big thing from Australia.
Edit: Reno Piscopo. Ikonomidis like.

I think everyone jumped the gun on that Xane kid... not sure he even still plays.
Yeah I like Piscopo a lot, I mentioned him on here the other day. He’s at Renate in Serie C now, was at Inter and Torino.
Panos Armenakas was at Udinese, he’s now in Greece (possibly Panathanikos)

Wombat

Kennedy is a 60% prospect to dive over or dive late or flail a limp arm any shot on target.

Perth has one weak link called Chianese but the mug has one poorly struck chance agianst us and we are 1.0 down and the game starts to swing away from us.

Ben is a nice bloke but his reaction time is poor. I was going to ramble on but he simply is not a HAL level keeper. Pearce has need dreadful but had a great game against the drive bys.

I think Munford is better than both of them if i'm honest.

Regardless we need a REAL keeper not these jokers. Jokers have made the grade with good coaching.....Redmayne. But we dont have Crawley to turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

pjennings

Kennedy is a 60% prospect to dive over or dive late or flail a limp arm any shot on target.

I may be part of the keepers union but this is trotted out all the time. People complained in the 8-2 Wellington game about this. I think he made a late error (I think for the 7th goal). Before that he was not to blame for any. The crowd were baying for his blood for the 6th goal but he was moving to one corner before it took a wicked deflection to go the other way. He had no hope.

When the HAL started Fox had cameras behind the goals - we saw those deflections. Now, unless you are in the right position in the stadium you never get the keepers view.

midfielder

I guess we are a week away from some hard decisions... assuming we have our coach, then come next Monday, he will need to let a lot of players go, as will the three other teams not in the finals and within four weeks all sides will have to let go of those they don't want.

By 30 June the new Hal arrangements should be signed off... the rumours to date are the key metric decisions are not going to be done away with... meaning we have to lift across a number of factors and not get the spoon for two maybe three years..

As for people stepping in, i.e. the new director and maybe the investment group that wanted to buy into the club, we can only hope its not another """the Russian's are Coming""" smokescreen.

Assuming we keep Gem & Tommy we have two first team players and some squad players. I have read where most teams have heaps of players off contract ...

Let the signing begin...

Forum Phoenix

I may be part of the keepers union but this is trotted out all the time. People complained in the 8-2 Wellington game about this. I think he made a late error (I think for the 7th goal). Before that he was not to blame for any. The crowd were baying for his blood for the 6th goal but he was moving to one corner before it took a wicked deflection to go the other way. He had no hope.

When the HAL started Fox had cameras behind the goals - we saw those deflections. Now, unless you are in the right position in the stadium you never get the keepers view.

PJ I swear, because I don’t consider myself a keeping expert, I’ve slowed down and rewound multiple missed BK saves of these on the ground shots. He’s slow to move, then he drops his weight, then bounces back up and then finally dives up and over.

I then watched and rewound multiple other keepers with the same type of shots to make sure I wasn’t having myself on. They all drop their weight and spring low at the correct angle directly towards the shot in one smooth movement.

BK takes 3 actions and it looks to me to be the same movement other keepers employ when going for a much higher ball.

My conclusion is he has one kind of footwork that he has drilled hard and now applies it to any all situations.

Whatever it’s shit. He’s clearly missed multiple very savesble goals this year and some of his flapping and falling back into the goals has been beyond embarrassing. The 3 first time members I’ve brought this year are all baffled and look at me saying, I dont know much, but what is this guy doing? He seems to have zero agility. I think they’re right.

And then there’s his hesitation to come and inability in the air. He’s easily the worst keeper in the league for mine.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

No, Kennedy was clearly responsible for at least 3 of them, I remember thinking back then. Slow to react, often deflects balls back into play that he should be catching, and terrible at reading play that comes into the box, especially crosses.

He's been responsible for a lot of our losses for goals that clearly should have been saved - and that's not even talking about other scenarios where another keeper might have done better but you can't clearly pinpoint a fault.

Kennedy needs to go, as does Nash. How the man who's overseen the worst years of keeper in the club's history, a string of keepers making consistent basic errors and a record-breaking lack of clean sheets manages to keep a job is beyond me.

marinermick

PJ I swear, because I don’t consider myself a keeping expert, I’ve slowed down and rewound multiple missed BK saves of these on the ground shots. He’s slow to move, then he drops his weight, then bounces back up and then finally dives up and over.

I then watched and rewound multiple other keepers with the same type of shots to make sure I wasn’t having myself on. They all drop their weight and spring low at the correct angle directly towards the shot in one smooth movement.

BK takes 3 actions and it looks to me to be the same movement other keepers employ when going for a much higher ball.

My conclusion is he has one kind of footwork that he has drilled hard and now applies it to any all situations.

Whatever it’s shit. He’s clearly missed multiple very savesble goals this year and some of his flapping and falling back into the goals has been beyond embarrassing. The 3 first time members I’ve brought this year are all baffled and look at me saying, I dont know much, but what is this guy doing? He seems to have zero agility. I think they’re right.

And then there’s his hesitation to come and inability in the air. He’s easily the worst keeper in the league for mine.

I do know a little about keeping and his footwork is extremely poor. This makes him look slower than he really is.

Pretty much what you say is spot on here FP.

Insertnamehere

I think everyone jumped the gun on that Xane kid... not sure he even still plays.
Yeah I like Piscopo a lot, I mentioned him on here the other day. He’s at Renate in Serie C now, was at Inter and Torino.
Panos Armenakas was at Udinese, he’s now in Greece (possibly Panathanikos)
Panos! Thats the man I was actually thinking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred