• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Tim

Yes they did. That was the point of me restating myself thrice now
Clearly there were issues but he still performed at City because when reasonably fit and in form and with the right attitude he would be a clear cut above the A-League (and even when not all three for City he still managed to perform). Sadly, none of these attributes were present when he arrived to play for us and his stay was cut short by “injury” and an apparent desire to be closer to his kids (the latter of which I would never criticise).

On a somewhat similar note, it’s unlikely we would been able to attract Kim if he wasn’t in some difficulties at home in Korea. In other words, absent a strong desire to live in another country or experience another culture, players of this calibre often arrive with some baggage and it’s up to the club to weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether the risk is worth it. McCormack could have been very good for us, perhaps with a better coach, but it wasn’t to be...

Ads

If McCormack, Hariej, Oar, etc. had a full preseason like we had this year, the 18/19 season could have looked a lot different.

But same as this year, all it takes is a few mishandled situations and you easily get left behind.

Reactions: adz

marinermick

If McCormack, Hariej, Oar, etc. had a full preseason like we had this year, the 18/19 season could have looked a lot different.

But same as this year, all it takes is a few mishandled situations and you easily get left behind.

Can’t agree with that. Mulvey was still coach.

Insertnamehere

Clearly there were issues but he still performed at City because when reasonably fit and in form and with the right attitude he would be a clear cut above the A-League (and even when not all three for City he still managed to perform). Sadly, none of these attributes were present when he arrived to play for us and his stay was cut short by “injury” and an apparent desire to be closer to his kids (the latter of which I would never criticise).

On a somewhat similar note, it’s unlikely we would been able to attract Kim if he wasn’t in some difficulties at home in Korea. In other words, absent a strong desire to live in another country or experience another culture, players of this calibre often arrive with some baggage and it’s up to the club to weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether the risk is worth it. McCormack could have been very good for us, perhaps with a better coach, but it wasn’t to be...
Tim, the issues were present at citeh. He was a couple times sanctured for turning up training late or not training hard enough. A simple Google search reveals this.
He joined a weak club with a weak culture so all his problems showed up amplified.

turbo

Not getting the inside joke there, is there some suggestion his age (listed as 19) is dodgy like some other players in refugee situations?

turbo

This is speculation but it might support the rumour Roberts has left, he was supposed to be the mariners ambassador for Gosford, they've got Jair and Stensness coming to a meet the players thing tomorrow night but no mention of Roberts.

Forum Phoenix

Nizzy has been offered a two year deal which he is likely to take.

Best news in a while. Great engine and him and Stens can stop us wasting more money signing too many aging foreign DM's. I don't know why this started, but our squad became so unbalanced. My theories were that Okon either thought it was the quintessential position or because the more expensive 10's and strikers we courted we could never table good enough offers for, with the exception of the basket case that was McCormack, and so only managed to secure the signatures of foreign 6's and 8's.

Important roles to be sure, but you need to be super fit and have a brilliant work ethic to go box to box, breaking up play and supporting attacks for 90 minutes. So there's a real danger in playing high quality but aging Visa players in these kind of roles. Weemac, Duric even Tommy H were examples of this. They tire quicker, injure more, and unless they have real mongrel and are superior physical athletes like Monty, they will start to try and protect themselves and just do the essential and so go missing. Aging Visa players seem to be less risky when deployed in a less physically demanding play maker role or at CB and so are generally best used there imo.

We need to save money where we can and spend where it is very difficult to get quality and simply cannot avoid doing so. Striker and 10 are the highest paid positions for a reason. They need to be our visa priorities. DDS works very hard and has great ability, but like Muzz, he still consistently fails us in the crunch moments, where better foreign players in other sides instead win their teams the game in these clutch moments. So we can't just double down on DM's instead. Besides Adsrubal, it was the other thing Okon really f**ked up imo - considering he forced out Monty then must have spent serious coin to bring in Wout and Tommy. Then Mulvey ditches a quality CB to bring in bloody Cisse. Painful. They deserved to be sacked and they wasted Charlesworth's money.

Unlike others I don't hate on the club management or it's philanthropic owner for this. They've made mistakes for sure, but I don't see dishonesty, laziness or ill will. Quite the opposite. Shaun, Anton and Staj seem to be working hard and while I hate losing, he's not bullshitting or saying he likes it, we're obviously a better side. But it's a tough ass job being in the smallest market and turning this ship around can't be done quickly and properly when it still needs to be done cheaply.

Ancient Mariner

Excellent post FP. Agree 100%.

I am seeing good progress this year and was happy with last night's showing, which actually has given me more hope for the future than I have felt for the last 5 years.
Points on the board are very important but I think some here see 3 points as the be all and end all. This season was about rebuilding from a train wreck of a base. If we ended up in the middle of the table it would have been a bonus and a great plus in keeping fans happy. This is understandable as points on the board is an easy measure of progress.
Unfortunately the points have not come. Some of our wins have been flukey as have some of our losses. I see the luck that way as being balanced, and the points on the table as being a fair measure of our position against other teams at this time. It is a sign to all of us that the task is much bigger than we dared hope.

Many are calling for MC to open his wallet. That would make life easier. But facts have to be faced. M.C. has decided how much he is willing to spend and has given the Club a budget in which to operate. That is the hand we are dealt and we have to play it. No one is going to buy an A-League Club in the present climate. Get used to it. Just be thankful that MC has funded the overs when they have happened.

Why am I optimistic and what is has changed?
Basically I am seeing a solid foundation being put under the Club that is being rebuilt from the ground up by the present management.
1) We now have Anton. He has been appointed as a director with decision making authority, which was lacking before this year. He is a football person who lives the game. He is putting a significant amount of money into youth development, rumoured to include the scholarship wages.
2) We now have in place good coaching staff in A-League, youth and goalkeeping who are able to work together without egos getting in the way and petty dislikes getting in the way.
3) We now have a recruitment committee with experience rather than leaving it to the coach.
4) I do not think anyone has disagreed with any of the re-signings that have happened so far this year. Hopefully no more TBTs, Lachy's or Millars in the future. We definitely need excellent recruiting before next year but I am hopeful this has a better chance of success now.
5) I am starting to see a decent competitive core of a squad on the field and a team that is not throwing in the towel and leaving nothing on the pitch despite the results.

I have been wondering why I feel this way today yet others here are threatening to bail. I love a win, and get as excited as everyone else. However, at the moment with where the Club is, I am happier to see an excellent an excellent performance against the best team in the league by far than a lucky win against another "also ran" after playing poorly. Obviously these priorities will change when we are fighting for silverware in the future.
I am seeing the Club building rather than going for a one season quick fix.
It would be nice to think that if we spent money we could buy success. Look at the money behind City. Sure SFC have money, but their success is due to a team that has been built over time in a Club with solid foundations.

I am seeing no reason to preach future doom or gloom. Wins are not the only indication of successful progress. I am here for the long haul. No more instant fixes thank you.

Tim

Brilliant post! Couldn’t agree more and I’m hopeful that this period of five years will be looked upon as a dark time for the club before we again see the light...

Ads

Excellent post FP. Agree 100%.

I am seeing good progress this year and was happy with last night's showing, which actually has given me more hope for the future than I have felt for the last 5 years.
Points on the board are very important but I think some here see 3 points as the be all and end all. This season was about rebuilding from a train wreck of a base. If we ended up in the middle of the table it would have been a bonus and a great plus in keeping fans happy. This is understandable as points on the board is an easy measure of progress.
Unfortunately the points have not come. Some of our wins have been flukey as have some of our losses. I see the luck that way as being balanced, and the points on the table as being a fair measure of our position against other teams at this time. It is a sign to all of us that the task is much bigger than we dared hope.

Many are calling for MC to open his wallet. That would make life easier. But facts have to be faced. M.C. has decided how much he is willing to spend and has given the Club a budget in which to operate. That is the hand we are dealt and we have to play it. No one is going to buy an A-League Club in the present climate. Get used to it. Just be thankful that MC has funded the overs when they have happened.

Why am I optimistic and what is has changed?
Basically I am seeing a solid foundation being put under the Club that is being rebuilt from the ground up by the present management.
1) We now have Anton. He has been appointed as a director with decision making authority, which was lacking before this year. He is a football person who lives the game. He is putting a significant amount of money into youth development, rumoured to include the scholarship wages.
2) We now have in place good coaching staff in A-League, youth and goalkeeping who are able to work together without egos getting in the way and petty dislikes getting in the way.
3) We now have a recruitment committee with experience rather than leaving it to the coach.
4) I do not think anyone has disagreed with any of the re-signings that have happened so far this year. Hopefully no more TBTs, Lachy's or Millars in the future. We definitely need excellent recruiting before next year but I am hopeful this has a better chance of success now.
5) I am starting to see a decent competitive core of a squad on the field and a team that is not throwing in the towel and leaving nothing on the pitch despite the results.

I have been wondering why I feel this way today yet others here are threatening to bail. I love a win, and get as excited as everyone else. However, at the moment with where the Club is, I am happier to see an excellent an excellent performance against the best team in the league by far than a lucky win against another "also ran" after playing poorly. Obviously these priorities will change when we are fighting for silverware in the future.
I am seeing the Club building rather than going for a one season quick fix.
It would be nice to think that if we spent money we could buy success. Look at the money behind City. Sure SFC have money, but their success is due to a team that has been built over time in a Club with solid foundations.

I am seeing no reason to preach future doom or gloom. Wins are not the only indication of successful progress. I am here for the long haul. No more instant fixes thank you.

Staj (the club) has a good chance to clear and re-use some decent coin for the 20/21.

What would be your feelings if we sit last/second last in March 2021?

For me the 20/21 season is the absolute make or break. It will decide the clubs future as a whole.

Tim

Article in the SMH indicating discussions are happening re the prospect of 5 visa players being outside the cap (with the cap for AU players) in the independent league. CCM has queried whether it could sell exempt visa spots to other clubs as this would provide a revenue stream and also keep more AU players in the A-League.
My initial read on that, if this were to occur, the competition could become incredibly lopsided with our club really struggling to compete on the field at least!
Thoughts anyone?

Josho Howe

Article in the SMH indicating discussions are happening re the prospect of 5 visa players being outside the cap (with the cap for AU players) in the independent league. CCM has queried whether it could sell exempt visa spots to other clubs as this would provide a revenue stream and also keep more AU players in the A-League.
My initial read on that, if this were to occur, the competition could become incredibly lopsided with our club really struggling to compete on the field at least!
Thoughts anyone?

Head over to the mariner stuff thread mate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred