• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

onto it

Don’t mistake me for an Okon fan at all, but he did get us DDS, on a multi year deal that still has next season on it, who at that time was pretty hot property and caused a few waves. His first season was solid until “injury” and then ofcourse his big spitting of the dummy. But if you look back at that time perhaps he knew something about mulvey that we didn’t until we were to find out relatively quickly. And has been one of our best, without the goals typically though, this season.
Just a thought. And he did give us Tommy H and Wout Brama who personally I felt honoured to see in our jersey. Despite how many on here felt about him.
But yeah I ofcourse agree, okon was f**ked.
You really think getting DDS was a positive? DDS has done nothing to warrant his cost.

turbo

You really think getting DDS was a positive? DDS has done nothing to warrant his cost.
It was a positive at the time and he started well, got a lot of positive comments too but the rest is history. There’s an amount of slack that we should cut the club for some actions that many fans and pundits supported. On face value McCormack was a big win considering he had recent A league form, Mulvey had some pedigree having won with Brisbane before being booted and DDS was considered a big signing for us. It’s overly harsh to look at those in hindsight when they were widely considered positive moves at the time. I’m more worried about the wtf from the start decisions.

Reactions: Tim

neverwozza

It was a positive at the time and he started well, got a lot of positive comments too but the rest is history. There’s an amount of slack that we should cut the club for some actions that many fans and pundits supported. On face value McCormack was a big win considering he had recent A league form, Mulvey had some pedigree having won with Brisbane before being booted and DDS was considered a big signing for us. It’s overly harsh to look at those in hindsight when they were widely considered positive moves at the time. I’m more worried about the wtf from the start decisions.

Yeah I've been a huge DDS fan and thought he was a great signing for us. I considered him one of those few players where the hype was justified. I thought he started really well for us in his first few months then faded away but still think he was unfairly treated by fans when he was looking for a move as I back then we were a complete basket case on the field.

Unfortunately this season he seems to have gone to the Andrew Hoole school for football - too many touches, running into dead ends and ignoring the easy pass. It was so refreshing to watch McGlinchy and Nisbet on Friday night showing how it should be done.

Last edited:

Michael

yes, I do. do you not remember the excitement at the time? The rumours for weeks on end on here? The photo of him at pluim during a night time friendly?
it was huge at the time. He performed. Then spat the dummy. Wasted a year but still got a champions medal while we were probably as shit as we’ll ever be. Not saying that in defence of him or that I liked it one bit.
Despite annoyingly not being a goal scorer he has probably been arguably our best attacking weapon this season and oppositions are worried when he has the ball.

Reactions: Tim

turbo

Despite annoyingly not being a goal scorer he has probably been arguably our best attacking weapon this season and oppositions are worried when he has the ball.

The biggest problem is unlike say Riley Mcgree (chosen due to similar age and position) he doesn’t lift the team when they are down. Decent enough player but not what we need from one of our better paid players. Maybe it’s expecting too much from a youngish player but he is experienced and we need that from our experienced players in the rough times.

Ozhammer

Hi Shaun, I would really like to hear why CCM was so inactive in the January window, particularly when compared to other clubs and given the team’s position on the table.

Yes Harold signed but GG went at the same time, so that wasn’t much more than a swap out (albeit this did improve the attacking options).

The team’s current shortcomings are fairly obvious to most observers so did the club genuinely try to bring in reinforcements, or were those players reluctant to come or was there no money available?

Some clarity on this would therefore be appreciated, as many of us are very concerned at the likelihood of CCM heading towards yet another wooden spoon.

FFC Mariner

Hi Shaun, I would really like to hear why CCM was so inactive in the January window, particularly when compared to other clubs and given the team’s position on the table.

Yes Harold signed but GG went at the same time, so that wasn’t much more than a swap out (albeit this did improve the attacking options).

The team’s current shortcomings are fairly obvious to most observers so did the club genuinely try to bring in reinforcements, or were those players reluctant to come or was there no money available?

Some clarity on this would be appreciated, as many of us are very frustrated by the likelihood of CCM heading towards yet another wooden spoon.
Shaun sits on the recruitment committee according to Anton so should be able to help provide some clarity

Insertnamehere

Ross Mac the second I guess.
On the face of it we should have known toss Mac was gonna be a flop. He only scored from set pieces, he was slow and overweight when he got to citeh. He was known to have a bad attitude from his time in Scotland and england and he was here without his family.
Like bulk red flags.

Tim

On the face of it we should have known toss Mac was gonna be a flop. He only scored from set pieces, he was slow and overweight when he got to citeh. He was known to have a bad attitude from his time in Scotland and england and he was here without his family.
Like bulk red flags.
And yet he managed something like 13 goals from 15 games for City and given CCM’s poor goal scoring record in prev seasons you can hardly blame the club for signing him when available. To say otherwise is to rely very heavily on that faultless vision, hindsight...

Last edited:

Insertnamehere

And yet he managed something like 13 goals from 15 games for City and given CCM’s poor goal scoring record in prev seasons you can hardly blame the club for signing him when available. To say otherwise is to rely very heavily on that faultless vision, hindsight...
14 in 17 actually. Yet still half were set pieces.
Also ignore the other flags I raised which are more pertinent to a club with an identity crisis.

turbo

14 in 17 actually. Yet still half were set pieces.
Also ignore the other flags I raised which are more pertinent to a club with an identity crisis.
How he got them is somewhat irrelevant, we could have really used those extra goals even if he fell a bit short of his last haul but with a full season to do it expecting similar wasn’t unreasonable. The club has made some shit decisions but to slam recruiting based on the previous a League season is overly harsh. He should have been better and was certainly capable of it, it’s a shame he didn’t turn up to play.

Insertnamehere

How he got them is somewhat irrelevant, we could have really used those extra goals even if he fell a bit short of his last haul but with a full season to do it expecting similar wasn’t unreasonable. The club has made some shit decisions but to slam recruiting based on the previous a League season is overly harsh. He should have been better and was certainly capable of it, it’s a shame he didn’t turn up to play.
Yet again ignoring the actual important red flags for a club with an identity crisis seeking a rebuilding of culture.

turbo

Yet again ignoring the actual important red flags for a club with an identity crisis seeking a rebuilding of culture.
Did those red flags not exist prior to his time at City? Because without some issues at play a player of his standard isn’t coming to the A league for any club never mind CCM. I don’t think it’s fair to expect the club to have foreseen just how useless he was even when set pieces did happen.

Insertnamehere

Did those red flags not exist prior to his time at City? Because without some issues at play a player of his standard isn’t coming to the A league for any club never mind CCM. I don’t think it’s fair to expect the club to have foreseen just how useless he was even when set pieces did happen.
Yes they did. That was the point of me restating myself thrice now

turbo

Yes they did.
Don’t get me wrong we definitely failed to work out how to fit him in to the system and watching him and Matty try to fit together was a frustrating situation. But even if he scored nothing from open play if he maintained even half of his City form he would have comfortably been our golden boot. I don’t think the club was wrong to take a punt on him but he isn’t necessarily a last minute addition that could slot in to a below average attack like we had.

Insertnamehere

Don’t get me wrong we definitely failed to work out how to fit him in to the system and watching him and Matty try to fit together was a frustrating situation. But even if he scored nothing from open play if he maintained even half of his City form he would have comfortably been our golden boot. I don’t think the club was wrong to take a punt on him but he isn’t necessarily a last minute addition that could slot in to a below average attack like we had.
Everyone got dazzled by his output at citeh. They should have known better and now the club are trigger shy.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So, what exactly is Pikey spending , I assume all the clubs get coin off foxtel and then theirs sponsors and what have you ...so how much of his own personal cash is being chucked around

Insertnamehere

So, what exactly is Pikey spending , I assume all the clubs get coin off foxtel and then theirs sponsors and what have you ...so how much of his own personal cash is being chucked around
Well I'd imagine he funds the difference between revenues and expenditures which has been rumoured at around $1m a year.

bikinigirl

. my understanding:
  • he doesn't want to chuck in any more than $1m per annum ... this is what the budgets are based on
  • apparently this is after any income from the CoE ... but considering some assets have been sold (no recurring income) and maintenance is still required, it is probably not much anyway
  • he is then required to make up any operational shortfall
  • this shortfall continues to increase year-on-year
  • apparently Anton's money goes to youth programs and scholarships only
. what some of us have been arguing though:
  • budget for the larger loss from the beginning (he has to pay regardless)
  • spend the money on the squad upfront to give the players, the coach, the team, the supporters a competitive chance
  • increased competitiveness, some sort of ambition (other than to minimise expenditure) and hopefully some results should make the losses less significant (due to the potential for increased revenue)
  • since it is only getting worse at the moment, maybe a change in strategy and the timing of expenses may improve things ... would it be any worse?
  • the current strategy is not working!
. yes i know there will be arguments about recent failures (eg. McCormack) making him gun-shy ... but a bad recruitment decision does not justify a bad business/engagement model

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred