• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

gull

Mariners Close To Landing Former Jet

Central Coast Mariners’ search for a foreign striker is nearing an end with the Gosford club close to signing former Newcastle Jets forward Jair. The Mariners first flagged their interest in the Brazilian striker at the end of last season, as revealed by the Herald, though negotiations were delayed significantly due to personal terms. Club sources suggest a deal could finally be agreed upon in the coming days to bring the 31-year-old to the Central Coast for the remainder of the A-League season. Jair spent one season with the Jets, making 20 appearances and finding the back of the net twice.

Dominic Bossi SMH

Insertnamehere

Central Coast Mariners’ search for a foreign striker is nearing an end with the Gosford club close to signing former Newcastle Jets forward Jair. The Mariners first flagged their interest in the Brazilian striker at the end of last season, as revealed by the Herald, though negotiations were delayed significantly due to personal terms. Club sources suggest a deal could finally be agreed upon in the coming days to bring the 31-year-old to the Central Coast for the remainder of the A-League season. Jair spent one season with the Jets, making 20 appearances and finding the back of the net twice.

Dominic Bossi SMH
FMD we just got rid of the last lot of gypsy wage thieves from up the freeway.

Josho Howe

Dominic Bossi SMH

Are you kidding me? Why oh why do we want a former failed scummer?

Forum Phoenix

Was hoping for better. But imo he does have skill and is good enough to perform at least moderately well at HAL level. Massively depends on attitude and fitness i think.

Spent most of last season putting in crosses and having to create his own chances, which he did well, but his own conversion was poor. Wasn’t helped by how Merrick likes to play though imo.

Not thrilled, but difficult time for our club to find players and on balance think we’re stronger with him than without. Hopefully Staj and our culture can bring the best out of him if he’s confirmed.

Josho Howe

Was hoping for better. But imo he does have skill and is good enough to perform at least moderately well at HAL level. Massively depends on attitude and fitness i think.

Spent most of last season putting in crosses and having to create his own chances, which he did well, but his own conversion was poor. Wasn’t helped by how Merrick likes to play though imo.

Not thrilled, but difficult time for our club to find players and on balance think we’re stronger with him than without. Hopefully Staj and our culture can bring the best out of him if he’s confirmed.

All due respect to you mate, but l couldn't disagree more. I always thought he was bang average and 2 goals in 20 games is not what we want. I would much rather stick with Murray. Jair brings us nothing. I might be biased coz he's a former scummer but honestly think he was a massive dud and we're better off not going through with it.

Forum Phoenix

All due respect to you mate, but l couldn't disagree more. I always thought he was bang average and 2 goals in 20 games is not what we want. I would much rather stick with Murray. Jair brings us nothing. I might be biased coz he's a former scummer but honestly think he was a massive dud and we're better off not going through with it.

All good. Happy to disagree. But I don’t think my position is that he’s great vs he’s a dud. Last year was not a great season for him. So not trying to argue that.

Secondly, I don’t think it needs to be or should be at the cost of Muzz’s continued development. Also as stated, I don’t think he’s a world beater, but among his hit and miss background he does have pedigree and as Staj has reminded us several times, foreign players often take a while to settle in. Last year was not a great year but he may be capable of much better. I think that’s a genuine possibility. Which is where I think we do actually disagree.

But re chances created and crosses etc, in those areas he was one of the best for the scum. So I’m not devoid of hope. No way was he a Jardell.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

All good. Happy to disagree. But I don’t think my position is that he’s great vs he’s a dud. Last year was not a great season for him. So not trying to argue that.

Secondly, I don’t think it needs to be or should be at the cost of Muzz’s continues development. Also as stated, I don’t think he’s a world beater, but among his hit and miss background he does have pedigree and as Staj has reminded us several times, foreign players often take a while to settle in. Last year was not a great year but he may be capable of much better. I think that’s a genuine possibility. Which is where I think we do actually disagree.

But re chances created and crosses etc in those areas he was one of the best for the scum. So I’m not devoid of hope. No way was he a Jardell.
Jair is dogshit - Majok is better because he is cheaper. Hopefully this is just recycled news

Ads

I’m not sure.

I thought Oar was rubbish when he featured last year on and off. Couldn’t get on the outside and beat a man to save his life.
And now with some fitness he is a fierce competitor again and the touch returns with the increased fitness.

If we invest 6 months of fitness in Jair like the other boys have in preseason could be a magical long term play by a Staj.

Jair was a goal every second game in the
K-league for 2 seasons there.

If he is brought on board and introduce slowly you really never know.

Ozhammer

Jair is dogshit - Majok is better because he is cheaper. Hopefully this is just recycled news
I heard about this last week but refrained from raising it, as I couldn’t see it being viewed positively by many on here and it is really for the club to announce.

There is apparently no news on the so-called Eastern European No.9 that was also supposedly coming to trial but we had all better hope he does materialise and puts Jair in the shade.

From what I recall of him last year at Scumcastle, it was said he was being played out of position, so I can’t help but wonder how he might have gone in his preferred spot. Hopefully the club will make an informed decision regarding this last piece of recruitment, as it could make or break our prospects for the season.

Btw, how sh*t is this having a bye crap? Thanks for being such spineless w⚓️s FFA, it should have been a 12 team comp this season, not next.

Josho Howe

I heard about this last week but refrained from raising it, as I couldn’t see it being viewed positively by many on here and it is really for the club to announce.

There is apparently no news on the so-called Eastern European No.9 that was also supposedly coming to trial but we had all better hope he does materialise and puts Jair in the shade.

From what I recall of him last year at Scumcastle, it was said he was being played out of position, so I can’t help but wonder how he might have gone in his preferred spot. Hopefully the club will make an informed decision regarding this last piece of recruitment, as it could make or break our prospects for the season.

Btw, how sh*t is this having a bye crap? Thanks for being such spineless w⚓️s FFA, it should have been a 12 team comp this season, not next.

Only have to put up with the bye this season at least. Agreed, l hate not playing this week, l feel as if it can be a momentum killer. On the other hand, it's good for anyone with niggling injuries to get over. I am against the Jair signing as l thought he was no good, but if it's the only option available, then l can understand why some would be in favour of it. Needs must.

pjennings

Only have to put up with the bye this season at least. Agreed, l hate not playing this week, l feel as if it can be a momentum killer. On the other hand, it's good for anyone with niggling injuries to get over. I am against the Jair signing as l thought he was no good, but if it's the only option available, then l can understand why some would be in favour of it. Needs must.

He was underwhelming at Newcastle and I wouldn't be picking him but at least if he is signed he will be going through a trial and Staj will have a good look at him. Better than recruit via you-tube.

Coastalraider

I just watched a highlights vid of his time in the Kleague - Looked pretty bloody good.

what happened at the Jets? How did they play him with Roy O as the main striker?

Ads

Roy was out a lot of games.
And just like our attackers, they have to come back almost into the main midfield to get the ball, so it’s not a smooth penetrating attack.

And like the data suggests strikers in the weaker teams just aren’t getting the ball in a shooting or attacking position.

That attack against WSW with the one Murray missed was the first proper attacking break and lay off diagonal pass for shot we have in a long long time!

Syd and Melb and the better teams make breaks like that all the time except the diagonal balls go a bit wider but still gives good opportunity for low hard cross across face or cut in, and run at box.

Forum Phoenix

I just watched a highlights vid of his time in the Kleague - Looked pretty bloody good.

what happened at the Jets? How did they play him with Roy O as the main striker?

From memory Roy CF, with Petratos wide right, and sometimes cutting in behind and combiing with Vargas, Jair wide left. From what I can tell of his history Jair is a CF.

Can understand why Merrick was hoping Roy, Petratos and Jair would be a potent front 3. But whether it's because Jair is simply shit, was played out of position, not fit, not adjusted or as Ads suggests, in a team struggling to get penetration in the opponents half, Merrick's long ball, I don't honestly know. Could be any combination. So I'm not sure he's a poor player. I think it's unlikely given his BG and that he was a prolific goal scorer in the K league only a couple of years ago. But a coupe of years in football is a long time. And for mine attitude is key.

So will trust Staj as I think we're fairly desperate at the pointy end myself and recruitment options are clearly very low.

Pirate Pete

A league hub on twitter quoting from the forum with the Jair news/rumour.

I had a quick look for links last night, but the only SMH rumour I could find was in May I think.

* here it is.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...r-central-coast-mariners-20190501-p51j6y.html

In other Mariners-related news, while Stajcic is overseas scouting for potential visa signings for next season, the Hairdryer hears that recently-released Newcastle Jets attacker Jair paid a visit this week to the club's training ground. Don't be surprised if the Brazilian signs on in the near future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred