• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Preseason 2019

WebZ

Be nice if we could go regional again, a la Tamworth, Mudgee, Orange etc. Do love a pre-season road trip!

Yes! Please come to Mudgee. I work for Mid Western Regional Council and we are about to put a brand new scoreboard in and I know the blokes that look after Glen willow. I keep telling the Mayor and General Manager to do a mariners game here be it pretty season or regular season. The GM has a mariners jacket pin on his desk, I am in the IT department and I keep saying something about it every time I have to fix his computer. Lol as you can tell I miss the Mariners a bit

WebZ

Yes! Please come to Mudgee. I work for Mid Western Regional Council and we are about to put a brand new scoreboard in and I know the blokes that look after Glen willow. I keep telling the Mayor and General Manager to do a mariners game here be it pretty season or regular season. The GM has a mariners jacket pin on his desk, I am in the IT department and I keep saying something about it every time I have to fix his computer. Lol as you can tell I miss the Mariners a bit

Cool scoreboard too, will be run off a wireless network and we can change the board from an iPad!

style_cafe

Saturday, 28 September 2019
Pre-Season: Newcastle Jets FC vs. Central Coast Mariners
Venue: Maitland Sportsground, Maitland
Kick-off: TBC
Tickets: TBC

Thanks T.
I hope we have a few more trials before then though.
I would be thinking at least a trial per week until the comp starts

Forum Phoenix

Good stuff. Keep the games coming.

Though I hope there’s more than one HAL side friendly we manage though. We usually manage at least an SFC game as well - anyone have word on that?

Just want the players (especially the younger ones) to be attuned for the speed of the HAL.
Okon and Mulvey’s sides were clearly not prepared adequately. And it wasn’t just fitness. You could see the way they wanted to play was beyond them at HAL level when the other team had a game plan of putting pressure on their chosen tactic. We can’t afford to try and get up to speed during the season. As perennial losers we have to start strong or the doubts will loom large and pressure will mount almost immediately.

Also like Staj to get a good look at Silvera, Nisbet, Majok and Ruon against HAL opposition and I think Oar and Da Silva will really need to calibrate as well.

Last edited:

Ozhammer

I heard an interesting stat tonight from a club source, which I thought I would share with the forum:

Nisbet’s passing accuracy vs Maitland FC - 97% (1 misplaced pass) vs Melling’s 52% (14 misplaced passes).

Says it all really doesn’t it? :headbounce:

marinermick

I don’t understand why we play trials behind closed doors.

Insurance. Making it open to the public would require a level of event management and have that event open to public liability.

Even though they are behind closed doors they generally don't restrict curious passer-bys e.g. Wanderers game at Pluim last pre season.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I heard an interesting stat tonight from a club source, which I thought I would share with the forum:

Nisbet’s passing accuracy vs Maitland FC - 97% (1 misplaced pass) vs Melling’s 52% (14 misplaced passes).

Nisbet has excellent ball control - great close control too. Something we don't see a huge amount of in Australia (heck, even in local first grade 'kick it past the defender and sprint' is usually a valid attacking strategy)

Michael

It definitely looked that way and also did last season when comparing the 2. The only thing Melling has over Nizzy is height and strength of tackle (that also gets him in regular trouble)
Nizzy is a much smarter and you could argue effective tackler, nips in and uses his body very smartly.

turbo

The only thing Melling has over Nizzy is height and strength of tackle (that also gets him in regular trouble)
Not saying that Nizzy doesn't put in the effort but Melling puts in a lot of work for us. Yes his passing lets him down, sometimes more than others, but he was very busy and had some good performances for us last year. His work rate was far higher than most of our starting players. I dont think it's a bad idea to have and use both of them for different situations.

Ancient Mariner

Nisbet has excellent ball control - great close control too. Something we don't see a huge amount of in Australia (heck, even in local first grade 'kick it past the defender and sprint' is usually a valid attacking strategy)
He gets his head up as well, that allows him to read the play while he is in possession and make good decisions.

pjennings

Not saying that Nizzy doesn't put in the effort but Melling puts in a lot of work for us. Yes his passing lets him down, sometimes more than others, but he was very busy and had some good performances for us last year. His work rate was far higher than most of our starting players. I dont think it's a bad idea to have and use both of them for different situations.

With Kim is likely to be a lone DM on a number of occasions I don't think either Nisbet or Melling can do that role alone. Together though they look to complement each other.

turbo

DDS is quite capable of dropping back deeper to pickup the ball and do the dirty work if needed. Did it a bunch of times under Okon. If Kim was out and Nisbet/Melling in I suspect that midfield triangle would shift a bit more defensively with DDS picking up a bit more of the defensive and playing out role.

SuperHans

I love the bloke and his distribution is great. My only worry is that he may not be tall enough/ bulky enough to win aerial duels/intimidate attackers. Dont get me wrong, being short isnt an issue everywhere, his low centre of gravity helps with rapid changes of direction. I just wondered what he would be like as an attacking midfielder, where he can take on defenders and put through killer passes/throughballs. Has he ever played in that position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred