• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners home final in Sydney

Omni

From the SMH

Mariners keen on party back at their place

But while the first team to qualify for the grand final is ostensibly given home-city hosting rights, the FFA retains the power to choose a different venue for commercial reasons.

Central Coast's problem is that Bluetongue Stadium only has a capacity of 21,000, and the FFA has already booked two Sydney venues - the SFS and the Olympic Stadium - as stand-by options.

I can see the wisdom here, but if Sydney make it surely they can't think this is a good idea, the Mariners work hard all year and then have to play a home game away??? It'd be satisfying to beat them in Sydney but I'd prefer it at Gosford, plus we owe Sydney the same percentage of away tickets they gave us in Season 1.

If Sydney don't make it I think it's a pretty decent idea though.

S

soccersensei

Errrgghhhhh..... strong case...but goes against the grain...
also feel we deserve the community uplift and bonding, and also Singo and what not the commercial offspin...

skilbeck

i get the feeling that it could set a bad precedent for the a league if we cant play in Bluetongue stadium then other teams with small stadiums i.e. adelaide and perth wont be able to use their stadiums if they got grand final matches and if their home fans have to travel to sydney or melbourne that would be extremely inconvient for them. plus i could easily see a home grand final taken from those 2 places because of "commercial reasons" as well due to their crowds, the remoteness of their respective cities and the fact that they are in a different time zone and therefore it will be broadcast here later. what the FFA is getting at is that they want to see every single grand final played in Sydney or in Melbourne. thats why they attempted to engineer them as the "glamour" clubs and buy them all the "talent" so that the a league would be a two horse race.

rosko

The FFA cant allow the Mariners to lose home games... While the crowd may increase by holding the match in Sydney, I dont believe the same number of Mariner supporters would be there. Can anyone really see 15-18000 fans travelling down the F3 for the match.. What rights should Adelaide be allowed over us if they were to make it. If there was to be a match between any of the smaller clubs, those other than the Sydney and Melbourne, Queensland dont rate a mention, their fans dont turn up anyway, the game deserves to be held at the home field and reward the area, fans, players, sponsors. 21000 at the Tongue is just as good as 25-30000 at the SFS should they relocate... I dont think the economics are worthwhile unless the game involves either Sydney or Melbourne.. Does the FFA then compensate the fans that have to travel when they should have had that home game.. No chance...
  Keep it at the home of the team that deserves the game.....

P

Pete

This was actually one of my predictions at the start of the season......a blue between the FFA and CCM over where a GF should be played.

Can see both sides of the argument but I think CCM should be saying to the FFA:

1) The Mariners have strived to associate themselves to the community of the Central Coast for over 3 years, and it is a fitting 'thank you' to the folks of the Central Coast to have a GF up here.

2) The region of the Central Coast has an ongoing issue of being squeezed between the Sydney Metro area and the Newcastle/Hunter regions. Govt. services, statistics, Govt. strategic planning, all have issues with what is the Central Coast and how to identify the needs and makeup of the region. For once we may have an opportunity to showcase the region, identify ourselves nationally, put on a GF, and yet the officialdom are edging towards a relocated GF for 'commercial reasons'.

3) The FFA knew that the Mariners had the stadium of this size and the possibility of a GF at home in a reduced sized stadium. They also accepted franchises from Adelaide and Perth whose grounds are smaller than ours. They accepted the Mariners franchise on the understanding it was a regional bid, they knew the business strategy of focussing on community spirit. Seems an about face to those ideals they approved 3 years ago, to then say, you're too small enough to get us enough money, we have a couple of big stadia about 100 k's away, you lot can play there. Short term gain for long term damage. The folks of the Central Coast won't forgive the politics used.

4) Yes, the Mariners owe it to Singo to push for the GF, if we host it, to be held at Bluetongue. While his influence can be a bit here and there at times, we must remember Singo was the one that got Lawrie to stay by going public after the V1 GF about Lawrie's contract negotiations, Singo was also the one who coughed up some serious $$ for Mr. Aloisi. The guy works off a fair bit of mateship and loyalty, and the best the club can do in return is to fight as hard as they can to get the GF held here if we win the right to host it.

dibo

What I took from the article was that if we play against an opponent where we could reasonably expect to sell well in excess of 20,000 tickets, well be playing in Sydney, unless someone pays the difference to the FFA.

This is no different to Adelaide or Perth (or Melbourne had they hosted the Season 1 GF while their home was still Olympic Park). Even Newcastle would be line-ball at the moment.

Theres a little more to it than lets play it at home.

I reckon well sell our home semi out in bugger all time (Im thinking within half an hour of tix going on sale to the general public). That will go a huge way to convincing the FFA to move the grand final (assuming we win the major semi).

If we play it at the Olympic stadium, well have a much bigger crowd. I really dont think its unreasonable to think that you could get 80,000 people there (and I dont think Sydneys going to be in it either).

An awful lot of neutrals will be coming, and it might be their first time seeing an A-League game. Our sponsors will get a time in the limelight that is bigger than either of the last two grand finals because of the sheer scale of the event. And there may be a whole bunch of people who become Mariners fans because the bandwagon is four times the size.

That said, if we play at Bluetongue with the place bathed in yellow, Gosford won't hear a noise as loud as that for years to come.

adz

Staff member
dibo said:
That said, if we play at Bluetongue with the place bathed in yellow, Gosford won't hear a noise as loud as that for years to come.

until next season's grand final you mean... ;)

midfielder

Rosko & Pete, expressed my throughts.

I also doubt if held at Telstra if would sell out, and those blue empty seats stand out.

A fully sold out Bluetounge, with Central Coast covered in yellow would also go down well in the media.

P

Pete

dibo said:
This is no different to Adelaide or Perth (or Melbourne had they hosted the Season 1 GF while their home was still Olympic Park). Even Newcastle would be line-ball at the moment.

Theres a little more to it than lets play it at home.

I reckon well sell our home semi out in bugger all time (Im thinking within half an hour of tix going on sale to the general public). That will go a huge way to convincing the FFA to move the grand final (assuming we win the major semi).

If we play it at the Olympic stadium, well have a much bigger crowd. I really dont think its unreasonable to think that you could get 80,000 people there (and I dont think Sydneys going to be in it either).

So....if there's an Adelaide vs. Perth GF in the future are you implying that they move venues?

WHAT venues that can put on Football (bearing in mind the Adelaide Oval and WACA both would have cricket pitches and light grass coverage on them for cricket at that time of year) in those Cities would be larger than Hindmarsh or Members' Equity?

Or would you believe that the FFA would move a home GF for either Adelaide or Perth out of the state? If you say they wouldn't move a home GF away from either Adelaide and Perth then the same principles should apply to the Central Coast.

I can see where everyone is coming from in respect to commercial interests, but at some stage there has to be a consistent rule in things like this, otherwise it starts looking like favouritism.

I'd rather a packed Bluetongue too, but I'd hate to go to Telstra Stadium in Sydney and have only 30K turn up. I'm not optimistic that a Mariners vs (out of NSW team) GF would attract many more than that in a venue 100k's away from the Mariners home fan base.

CCM-JAM80

I can see the "big picture" argument that the FFA will argue though can also see our very own "big picture" argument for the Central Coast.

I have been apart of this club since day one (like many of you no doubt) and if we are fortunate to play in our second Grand Final and we earn the right to host the event, I can see a certain sell out and yet another shot in the arm for our club on the Central Coast.

A home Grand Final would attract even more members for next season and see us continue to grow on the Central Coast where one day I envisage packed home games.

As stated, I cannot see a Telstra Stadium sellout either.

When all is said and done, the decision will not please all which ever way it goes. With that said, if we make the decider, I couldn't care less ;-)

P

Pete

CCM-JAM80 said:
When all is said and done, the decision will not please all which ever way it goes. With that said, if we make the decider, I couldn't care less ;-)

THAT is the main point - we have to make it first! And boy, would I be happy if we cap off a good season with a GF appearance.

S

striker

midfielder said:
A fully sold out Bluetounge, with Central Coast covered in yellow would also go down well in the media.

Agree............. also every Mariner's supporter should get a yellow T-shirt with the purchase of a GF ticket
..............*brilliant* :vhappy:

dibo

Pete said:
dibo said:

So....if there's an Adelaide vs. Perth GF in the future are you implying that they move venues?

WHAT venues that can put on Football (bearing in mind the Adelaide Oval and WACA both would have cricket pitches and light grass coverage on them for cricket at that time of year) in those Cities would be larger than Hindmarsh or Members' Equity?

football park and subiaco oval. subi's already hosted 2 nsl grand finals and a few socceroos games.

midfielder said:
I also doubt if held at Telstra if would sell out, and those blue empty seats stand out.

i think telstra would sell at least 60k, so your only empty blue seats would be up in the gods away from the view of tv cameras. if projections show any lower than that they'd go to the SFS (not something i'd like - it's another club's ground after all).

a home GF would be great by my book, i'd love it more than anything. but because i think we're talking about the potential for massive crowds, i simply don't think it's realistic.

in time it may even be semis that the FFA talks about moving, which should then spark discussions about expanding bluetongue.

Auburn Mariner

Yes, Adelaide's Football Park holds over 50k and Subiaco (FYI, Crazy John's offered $10 million for naming rights and the WA Govt said NO) holds approx 43k.

Adelaide are playing their XMas home match at Adelaide Oval, cricket block and all.

I can see that, in the future, the A-League GF is tendered out for bidding each year, not unlike the Superbowl. It would be treated as a one-off event, maybe even with a two-week break like the Big Dance in the USA so that players can get over niggling injuries and to allow for massive hype and build-up. Yes, this means we never get a GF if the minimum capacity is 40,000, but the game is bigger than one club.

Think about it, say the Triple MMMCG wins the tender, the WHOLE season, promotion along the lines of "who can make the long journey to Wellington Parade in Jolimont on that last Sunday in February, in front of a sell-out 100,000 crowd".

midfielder

dibo said:
subiaco oval. subi's already hosted 2 nsl grand finals and a few socceroos games.

i think telstra would sell at least 60k, so your only empty blue seats would be up in the gods away from the view of tv cameras.

Dibo, an outside NSW side, playing us in Sydney with 60, 000 is at the high end, if not dream land.

Subiaco oval is in Perth so its not a fair comprassion and remember Perth has over 1.5 million people.

Assuming we make it it should be at Bluetounge.

dibo

midfielder said:
dibo said:
subiaco oval. subi's already hosted 2 nsl grand finals and a few socceroos games.

i think telstra would sell at least 60k, so your only empty blue seats would be up in the gods away from the view of tv cameras.

Dibo, an outside NSW side, playing us in Sydney with 60, 000 is at the high end, if not dream land.

Subiaco oval is in Perth so its not a fair comprassion and remember Perth has over 1.5 million people.

Assuming we make it it should be at Bluetounge.

first part first - i'm clearly more optimistic than you!

second part - that was in answer to another question.

adz

Staff member
I don't see why a GRAND FINAL could not sell out ANY ground in the country, when the AFL can get 97k to a grand final at the MCG involving two interstate teams; WCE vs SYD...

skilbeck

adz said:
I don't see why a GRAND FINAL could not sell out ANY ground in the country, when the AFL can get 97k to a grand final at the MCG involving two interstate teams; WCE vs SYD...

Thats melbournians for you they flock to their public events regardless of how shit they are, a lot of them would probably turn up to the opening of a letter if you did it in the MCG. Most places in Australia arent like that

dibo

skilbeck said:
adz said:

Thats melbournians for you they flock to their public events regardless of how shit they are, a lot of them would probably turn up to the opening of a letter if you did it in the MCG. Most places in Australia arent like that

a grand final's a big deal. i think you'd rate it somewhere ahead of the opening of an envelope somehow!

skilbeck

dibo said:
skilbeck said:
adz said:

a grand final's a big deal. i think you'd rate it somewhere ahead of the opening of an envelope somehow!

im just saying if they hosted an AFL grand final in wellington, north queensland or even sydney for that matter between 2 interstate teams for instance and they had the stadium size you probably wouldnt get 97k

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred