• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

FFC Mariner

A search on wiki would have shown that Ass Dribble wasnt a striker. His goal scoring record is terrible. In 151 games he has scored 36 goals. The club were asleep at the wheel to allow Mr "I cant be bothered to come in to work every day" Okon sign him

Reactions: adz

VicMariner

By Dominic Bossi - SMH
23 March 2018 — 5:48pm
By the start of next season, the Mariners can boast the most tangible connection with supporters in Australian football with the introduction of one board seat reserved for a supporter elected by members.
I love this but it is news to me. Will this some sequestered group of unknown supporters like the ones who okayed that terrible palm tree shirt?

pjennings

What would be the point of being the token stooge? MC has 100% of the club, its his toy to do with as he pleases.

There is an large element of truth in that 'he owns the club'. However, he obviously takes input from Shaun and Kathryn Duncan. Mike will have his vision of where he wants the club to go and Shaun and Kathryn are close to the coal face trying to deliver it. The introduction of one board seat reserved for a supporter elected by members.(hereafter referred to as the token stooge) I think could add a deal of value. Mike is too far away to see and hear what is happening daily and Shaun and Kathryn it could be argued are too close to the coal face to see and hear what is happening around them.

It could be a waste of time - but it could also add an important and valuable voice. That would depend on not only how ready Mike and co are willing to listen to the person's input but also on how seriously the person filling the role takes it.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

FFS a board seat for a supporter rep. is a massive step forward. Don't knock it. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
It is up to us to find out how this supporter will be elected and to make sure it is someone worthwhile.
If they are good they will be listened to.
Shaun talking to us here was the first massive step forward in relations with the supporters this could be even more important.

For the first few years the Club did not want to have anything to do with the supporters, we offered and were ignored.
We fought to get a table at the first presentation night and were just tolerated. Our award to the player of the season was not allowed to happen on stage but was done at the back of the hall at the end of the evening.

This is worthwhile.

TedShot

f**k me I hope it is elected by forum vote! I like to believe that’s how okon was removed, Shaun has his finger on the pulse.

Now now, obviously I would love to take the role, the ability to save on membership would be amazing, as would the discounts on merch. But as I have no real opinion on anything and am just a sarcastic dickhead I’m gonna have to pass. I vote for big al. And hope to join him in the box

Ozhammer

My understanding is that this will not be a seat on the club board as such but on an advisory board that will provide input to the club on certain matters.

This has been mooted in the past but now seems likely to actually happen. How that individual is selected and on what basis they would be agreed to represent 7k members is a whole other discussion but we do need to embrace the initiative and see where it leads.

pjennings

My understanding is that this will not be a seat on the club board as such but on an advisory board that will provide input to the club on certain matters.

This has been mooted in the past but now seems likely to actually happen. How that individual is selected and on what basis they would be agreed to represent 7k members is a whole other discussion but we do need to embrace the initiative and see where it leads.

And a very important one. At the moment Mike has spoken to the podcast guys and reps from the OSC. I don't believe either of those groups represent the 7000 members, just as I don't believe we do. The Members Facebook page is also skewed to those that want to participate (whinge). Just how you would elicit fans responses without skewing your representation to simply those that shout the loudest is a huge challenge in itself.

I would be disappointed if it was simply one voice on an advisory board if that meant that the advisory board simply put forward a majority decision without the main board ever seeing what the fans want.

bikinigirl

And a very important one. At the moment Mike has spoken to the podcast guys and reps from the OSC. I don't believe either of those groups represent the 7000 members, just as I don't believe we do. The Members Facebook page is also skewed to those that want to participate (whinge). Just how you would elicit fans responses without skewing your representation to simply those that shout the loudest is a huge challenge in itself.

I would be disappointed if it was simply one voice on an advisory board if that meant that the advisory board simply put forward a majority decision without the main board ever seeing what the fans want.

. agreed ... if it is an advisory board why only one position - it is the kind of stakeholder imbalance that Charlesworth and the Clubs have been so critical of with the FFA congress

. because the issue as you so rightly point out is how to find one person representative of everybody ... and also somebody who is likely to express the views of the many and not necessarily their own views at the critical moments

. there are a few people i would trust with this role and sadly a few people with a bit of a profile i wouldn't

. fans (or members) are already represented (though not on a board) by a few groups or communities and despite some cross-representation the views and priorities of those groups can be quite different, for example:
  • this place
  • the OSC
  • YA
  • Facebook group (i can't believe i even typed that)
  • the massive amount of fans not involved with any of the above
. if we were to start with representation from each of the three established groups everybody else has the opportunity to join and contribute as they see fit. ideally there should be no division amongst the fan base ... but start with baby steps using representatives from the existing collectives

. we then still have the issue of how the majority view is actually formed and agreed but with more than one seat at the table there would be less chance of 'the token stooge' expressing the wrong 'read' of the majority, falling victim to their own prejudice or ego ... or simply missing an important aspect that slips through when the responsibility rests with one individual

finally retired

Bikinigirl.....this isn't meant to be a sexist question, but in your opinion are the views of female members different to those of male members? do we know what the split of male/female members is and should that come into any appointment of the board member? On this forum there appear to be very few females who comment (that could be a furphy of course because on the internet anyone can be anyone they want to appear to be) but on other forums the split could be very different....who knows?

Big Al

It’s your soon to be elected (Putin style) token stooge here.

@TedShot for being my first vote absolutely come and share a sausage roll with some Masterfoods tomato sauce (got to plug the sponsor as a board member).

I like the idea of an old school popularity vote. My only problem is campaign funds for bribes.

Lets make it as @bikinigirl says the Forum vs everyone else.

It should be solely about the Forum having all the power and proving we are the best “CCM FANS”

Look I promise I won’t forget the people who put me in power (until I’m in the box).

Vote 1 for Big Al your Token Stooge.

Oh yeah free ice cream for my Supporters and a free trip to Newcastle for my detractors

Last edited:

Big Al

@bikinigirl @finally retired

Bring up some interesting points and while the position is a token gesture it is still progressive in itself. However with all new ideas come new problems but I think they are problems we’d like to have.

We are a very progressive club in alot of the staff are woman so I don’t see any part of sex being an issue however it would be a good public relations exercise to have a man and a woman (i know political correctness says we can’t label people by sex - they can get stuffed).

There is a push for big business to have more woman in positions in boards. I personally don’t think something should be based on figures e.g 50/50, it should be on merit which in relation to being a fan there is no under lying skill or qualifications so I think a man and a woman would be ideal

bikinigirl

Bikinigirl.....this isn't meant to be a sexist question

. which means that it is :piralaugh: (just joking)

Bikinigirl.....this isn't meant to be a sexist question, but in your opinion are the views of female members different to those of male members? do we know what the split of male/female members is and should that come into any appointment of the board member? On this forum there appear to be very few females who comment (that could be a furphy of course because on the internet anyone can be anyone they want to appear to be) but on other forums the split could be very different....who knows?

. but an interesting question - perhaps as you can tell from my response above it didn't even occur to me that the female view would be different to the blokes (or require separate representation). of course we can't always agree upon everything but, as evidenced by the forum, i often agree with you lot and some of you even agree with me when it comes to Mariners related stuff. but i am often accused of not being a 'normal' girl so i may be the wrong person to ask

. considering equality and all that, i often think that political correctness takes things a bit far and if you think it would be bad being the token stooge imagine how it would be as the token female stooge

. i know that the Committee of the OSC has a fair representation of females currently 3:4 and last year it was 4:4. the Club staff are probably even more heavily represented by females so i can't say the female view is not considered there ... unless their views are not considered or they do not represent the 'typical' female view

. but the reality is fans are fans. i know some very avid female supporters who have absolutely no interest in women's football regardless of whether it was a Mariners team or not - similar to the blokes i suppose ... just like there would be blokes only interested in women's football for the perv factor - and some women would follow men's football for similar reasons

. you have caught me a little unawares so i might need to think about it and if i come up with anything groundbreaking i'll let you know

. actually forget all that - the club doesn't listen to its female supporters ... after asking for a Mariners bikini for years i still haven't got one, so i have given up ... some may suggest so has my body :rolleyes:

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

What's the OSC?

I think the idea of having member representation is great. This is one of the things I do love about this club - they're happy to try new things.
Now, if only the FFA were interested in listening to the fans....but that's a whole other point.
I think having a member vote is the only reasonable way of doing that. Up to interested people to campaign however they want. It will probably mean that a lot of members who actually bother to vote don't know a lot about who they're voting for other than whoever gets their name known, but that's not a big issue.
Whoever the representative is will hopefully find their own ways to hear the views of different groups.

bikinigirl

What's the OSC?

. seriously? are you taking the piss?
. i'm sure you have asked this before and i'm pretty sure it's been answered before ... the Official Supporters Club
. sounds like trolling

I think having a member vote is the only reasonable way of doing that. Up to interested people to campaign however they want. It will probably mean that a lot of members who actually bother to vote don't know a lot about who they're voting for other than whoever gets their name known, but that's not a big issue.

. in a world of Trump and reality TV ... the popular vote scares the shit out of me (not that this is a scary issue ... but it should be taken seriously)

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Wow. I'll remember that I won't dare to ask a question on here.
I don't appreciate the accusation of trolling for daring to ask a simple question @bikinigirl . I don't think we need that sort of animosity on here directed at each other.
Wow, I forgot an abbreviation that doesn't get used a lot on here. So what?

Not sure what Trump has to do with a popular vote in this case. I haven't seen any other workable proposal. If it's going to be a member vote, it's not going to make sense for the club to say that 'the only true representative member can come from the YA/OSC/whatever'.
If it's a member vote, it's a popular vote. And the article says the club have already decided that's what it is. So it's just a question of where that's drawn from. I'd anticipate that at some people a few people will announce their intention to run, members will get that info, and vote online at some point. So, people can campaign how they choose. I'd say most of the members won't know much about who they're voting for, but that's no different to votes for council members, or student representation at uni, that sort of thing.
I don't think that taking one from separate 'groups' is workable, given that people can be a member of multiple groups. How many are members of this forum, OSC, and the YA?
There's an inherent acceptance of the fact that not everybody's views are going to be represented - but the club, presumably, aren't going to stop their existing engagement. That's just part of representation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred