• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Last Thursday 6th Dad (89) was taken to Wyong hospital for tests.
He was airlifted to Gosford later that day for an endoscopy which revealed multiple stomach ulcers & two bleeding duodenal ulcers and airlifted again to Royal North Shore.
I got the news just as I got to Meringandan just north of Toowoomba (12hrs drive)
The doctors there did another endoscopy and decided they had to operate.

We were advised by the doctors to gather the family.

After 3 hours sleep I drove back to Sydney arriving at his bedside at 1am. (15hrs drive)
Hooked up to machines in the ICU, with breathing tubes in his mouth and suction tubes in his nose he was barely alive.
I sat there holding his hand and talking to him.
The only response I got was when I told him the Mariners had beaten Western Utd 3-0, he weakly squeezed my hand.
I took out my phone and played him the highlights package and he squeezed my hand a few times.

I walked back to the hotel my son had booked for me with a glimmer of hope.

When I returned a few hours later he was much the same and clinging to life. The doctors told me to go and get some rest.
I returned on Saturday afternoon and dad hadn`t improved but the nurse had music playing on a monitor.
I asked her if she could get Paramount on the monitor and she said yes.

I got the nurse to raise his bed so that he could see the monitor and I told him I was going to put the game on the monitor and he squeezed my hand.
So I signed in and put the replay of the game on.

When dad heard the match start he sat forward lifted his arms ,opened his eyes and in a garbled way yelled Mariners! Mariners! which brought the nurse running in.

She was amazed as she stood there watching him watching the game.
He watched the entire first half only closing his eyes for a few seconds at a time.
She later asked me what i`d done, and I told her she just needed to know which button to push.
Football is dad`s button.

It`s now a week later and dad is in a ward and recovering more and more each day.
I`ve arranged to be with him to watch the game v City on Saturday.
He desperately wants to go to Newcastle.

My father is the most football crazy person i`ve ever known and others have said the same.
He loves the Mariners so much he even goes to the training sessions and chats with the players, Matty and Monty.

I honestly believe his love of the Mariner`s has saved his life and look forward to getting him to our finals matches.

I can only say my heartfelt thanks to Richard, Shaun,Monty,Matty,the staff and especially the players for giving dad the strength to live.

He didn`t "back down"
Simply OUTSTANDING !...what a deadset legend

marinermick

He was airlifted to Gosford later that day for an endoscopy which revealed multiple stomach ulcers & two bleeding duodenal ulcers and airlifted again to Royal North Shore.
I got the news just as I got to Meringandan just north of Toowoomba (12hrs drive)

After 3 hours sleep I drove back to Sydney arriving at his bedside at 1am. (15hrs drive)
Hooked up to machines in the ICU, with breathing tubes in his mouth and suction tubes in his nose he was barely alive.
The only response I got was when I told him the Mariners had beaten Western Utd 3-0, he weakly squeezed my hand.
I took out my phone and played him the highlights package and he squeezed my hand a few times.

When I returned a few hours later he was much the same and clinging to life. The doctors told me to go and get some rest.
I returned on Saturday afternoon and dad hadn`t improved but the nurse had music playing on a monitor.

I got the nurse to raise his bed so that he could see the monitor and I told him I was going to put the game on the monitor and he squeezed my hand.

When dad heard the match start he sat forward lifted his arms ,opened his eyes and in a garbled way yelled Mariners! Mariners! which brought the nurse running in.

He watched the entire first half only closing his eyes for a few seconds at a time.
She later asked me what i`d done, and I told her she just needed to know which button to push.

It`s now a week later and dad is in a ward and recovering more and more each day.

My father is the most football crazy person i`ve ever known and others have said the same.
He loves the Mariners so much he even goes to the training sessions and chats with the players, Matty and Monty.

I honestly believe his love of the Mariner`s has saved his life and look forward to getting him to our finals matches.

I can only say my heartfelt thanks to Richard, Shaun,Monty,Matty,the staff and especially the players for giving dad the strength to live.

He didn`t "back down"

Beautiful story. I had a tear in my eye reading it.

style_cafe

Your dad's story remind me of the famous Bill Shankly quote-" Some people think football is a matter of life and death.I don't like that attitude.I can assure you it is much more important than that."

Anyway good luck to your dad and hopefully his recovery continues.
Cheers Booney,
Co-incidently we`ve both stood at the Bill Shankley statue at Anfield and to dad that`s a very true quote.

Wombat

He didn`t "back down"
Thanks for posting that beautiful story. Your Dad is a top bloke, super friendly, please send him my love.

style_cafe

Style

What a story should share it across the Football community Australia wide....
Thanks Middy.
I wrote that late at night after visiting dad & wanted to share the story.
It was basically an outpouring of emotions,frustrations and a want to inspire others.
There`s so much more to the story but that`s for another day.

Monty did say that he``d told the boys and that they want to win today for Dad so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred