• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

dibo

Trying to coerce women into Breast feeding this day and age is a bit old school.
For some women its not easy, for others it is.
I hear you, but I don't think this is coercing - doctors basically agree that where it's possible it's preferred. That's not coercion.

Wombat

I believe its better but no proof. I have 3 and the least healthy is the one that got the most breast milk...which is weird.
Depending on the Hospital the coercing can be quite intense.

dibo

The science is settled (and millions of years of evolution are a hint), but breastfeeding is not *the* determining factor. It's just one of many contributing factors.

Big Al

Could have put this in a few places but might have got a little lost in the A League threads

FFA have apparently approved the Tim Cahill rule or full year guest stint if you want its real name where if a player is deemed high profile enough he can be signed for a full year. A 3rd Marquee by any other name.

Apparently it is one off for the purpose of bringing Cahill to the A League to the only team who can afford him with the benefit of boosting crowds and TV viewers for the attraction of the new TV deal.

How does this effect CCM?

Well it is expanding the gap been the small clubs and the big clubs
But we also have City on NYE.

Do you think this would be a big advantage to the league or more anything for city type stuff?

Would we get a boost to the NYE crowd if Cahill played? I'd think so

442 think it's actually close to happening.

Wombat

Yep.
I'll be there to watch that Pommy/Samoan strutt his stuff.
Doesn't have the class of a Yorke or a Del Piero but he is such an effective player, very similar to Frank Lampard.
I've enjoyed watching Yorke and Fowler.
Kewell, DP and Romario were too washed up but still dragged people in.
Cahill would be a massive draw card.

Last edited:

style_cafe

I`ve just finished watching the Rugby league State of Origin & yes NSW got thumped again.
It started me thinking"Why is Queensland so good"?

I have come to the conclusion that the A-League could be a big contributor to the demise of Rugby League (RL) in this state.

When Northern Spirit joined the old NSL back in 1998 & Parramatta Power the following year it had a profound effect on Football.
People started to get interested again as these were two Aussie teams in a world of ethnic clubs.
The crowds started to come back & there was a rise in the number of registrations in Sydney.
It took 5 years or so before it became financially unviable for the clubs, but in that time our registrations continued to climb.

When the FFA called a halt & began the formation of the A-League we had another surge of junior registrations, followed soon after by the Socceroos reaching the World Cup in 2006.
Unfortunately for NSW , Qld had a golden generation starting with their RL team but the rot had already started.
With so many parents putting their sons into football rather than RL, the FFA had in effect started to cut off the supply of gifted sportsmen to RL.

Queensland initially had one team with the Roar, later to be joined by Gold Coast & Fury. who only lasted a few seasons due to financial matters.
However, Sydney added the Wanderers which again captured the imagination of Western Sydney & swelled the registrations again.

Thus we see that Queensland is now the main breeding ground for the RL with the majority of the good young players coming from there.
Whilst we see the the rise of Country RL over City in NSW.

Based on this it becomes encouraging to talk about expansion within our game.
With looming TV deals in the future, I think it`s time the FFA started investing more money into grassroots football in key areas & also start working with those regions to establish future teams.

The more we can encourage the kids to play football the greater our game will grow & that will eventually erode the dominance of RL & AFL in this country.
Making the game cheaper for the kids to play would be an enormous step to increase the registrations even further.

Also, areas like Canberra, Cairns/Townsville,Wollongong, Regional Victoria, Gold Coast, Darwin, Auckland, Northern NSW etc. should be nurtured & encouraged to strive for an A League team.

Another factor that we shouldn`t ignore is the purchase of the Jets by a Chinese consortium & the reason why they bought them, The ACL.
Whilst not huge here as yet, the ACL is a growing phenomenom that can attract big dollars to the A League through foreign investmest.
Look at the money Hyundai have poured into the A League.

Other football friendly companies. ie Samsung, Sony, Yokohama, Air Asia etc. should be sounded out for deals with our teams to increase the income stream of our clubs,with a view to accessing the markets of Asia with their products.

The FFA needs to have plans in place to capitalise on what has happened & what the future holds for football.
I think expansion & foreign investment are the keys & the beneficiaries should be the grassroots clubs & associations.

Last edited:

Rowdy

I've continually wondered how the Nix 'jagged' SONY as their front of shirt major sponsor year after year ??? when they're appeal is to but a small market in NZ amongst the Thugby Union & The Neanderthal RLeague which dominate the landscape over theer.

Moreso when we've qualified for ACL campaigns numerous times & their ineligible ???

JoyfulPenguin

Dan Heffernan (of last season fame) scored for the Goulburn Valley Suns as they went down 3-5 to Moreland City.
See his goal at 3:25

Timmah

The whole squad do those JP - there's usually 12-13 a year between May and July from memory.

If I'm not mistaken we're a community leader in this space, although tbf we only have 23-24 clubs to spread across whereas other HAL clubs probably have hundreds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred