• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Magic Wand Time: How would you fix the Mariners?

finally retired

Might have changed since I was there but Express Advocate was often hit & miss - I know Emma Herd there is always engaged with CCM so there shouldn't be an issue there, as for the community news ones last I was on the Coast they always copy+pasted CCM media releases into their publication, don't they still do that?
yep.....but hopefully the more visibility the Mariners et in the media, especially about game days, the better I think

bikinigirl

He was one of the few Parts of the coaching set up that didn’t need replacing. Jolic was always stopping him from doing his job properly.

. FFC, I'd be interested to know why you disagree? do you know something contrary to Ozhammer's explanation or are you just basing your rating on the on pitch performances

. i spoke to Balder at the OSC breakfast and he was disappointed and frustrated about how 'coddled' the Australian players were compared to what he wanted and could see was needed. at the time Okon and Jolic were stiil in place and he seemed to be catching himself 'over-sharing' the longer we spoke - the frustration was real and it didn't take much for it to surface

Holy

We all want a winning culture, Mariners spirit etc. as many have posted. Top six minimum many others have said.

Well I think @Forum Phoenix nailed it in a paragraph in his post on page 8 in The Reign of Mike Mulvey thread.

I think Mulvey will be aiming to win the league. Which is EXACTLY what any coach should be doing. You dream it, make a plan to achieve it, and then work your guts out trying to successfully execute it. And then see where you land. Want to reach the moon. Aim for the stars.”

So how do we go about it, how do we go about building a winning culture?

Set Goals

We can’t win anything by not setting the right goals and defining a path to success. It’s critical that both attainable goals and lofty, seemingly unattainable goals are set in order to drive us forward. We need to get out of our comfort zone and push our squad / club hard. Sure, celebrating the small wins is important as it keeps people engaged but we shouldn’t get hung up on the little achievements. If this is done too frequently, we start to master mediocrity and spend less time on working towards the tougher goals. A top six finish is not a good enough goal, our Goals for 2018/2019 should be:

1. Win the FFA Cup

2. Win the Premiership

3. Win the Championship

On review of this season, I wonder, what was Okon’s goal? Was it just to beat Sydney? In hindsight, it may have been. We were good that night, everything he had said he was trying to get the team to do; they did, and look what the result was. It should have been celebrated as a small win, he should have played a poker face and talked about where things in the game were good, they were below what was expected, challenging the squad to be better. But no, he celebrated like he had just won the treble, but we were only in Round 6. Our season was over front that point onwards.

We need to define our Values

Not only define them, but ingrain them in everything you do. The values and guiding principles should be so important, that without them the club fails.

Values such as working hard, pride, helping each other having each other’s back being a special part and representative of the local community.

For example, Mulvey could from day 1 of training say to the whole squad. One night per week, each and every one of you is to have one team mate over to your home for dinner, until every member of the squad has been to your house. While you are there you need to get to know your guest, what makes them tick, what things they hold dear. Just imagine the individual bonding that is instilled, and more importantly the environment of trust created. All of a sudden, everyone is looking after one another, and we will never see another example of one of our team hurt, and the other 10 not giving a flying f@#k. Instead, there would be 10 players around him, making sure he is ok. That’s a true team orientated wining culture.

We are a small community club. If we truly value our community to have pride in our team, pride in our shirt, then all key stakeholders need to be engaged from sponsors, volunteers, members, fans, and ex-players.

Imagine if we use the dinner example above and extend it further. Instead of just a team mate, have an employee from one of our sponsor’s, a volunteer and a member. Get to know all of them, the Players will know who they are playing for and the others will be truly supportive of the players representing them.

Never underestimate the role the female members of our club / community could play.

Imagine if a Female supporters group was set up, run by one of the player’s wives, girlfriends or mums. They all meet at Julie’s kitchen for nibblies before the game, and all marched down to the stadium pre-game, all in there pink Mariners top and straight into a designated bay.

Ex-players such as Zwaanswijk, McBreen, Sterjovski, Gumps, and Kwas etc. and get them to become involved. It could run along the lines of in addition to the team training sessions, Zwaanswijk does a session with just the defensive unit, whilst McBreen and Sterjovski doing a session with our attackers.

Why do something like all of this?

Because we need change and it’s not necessarily about finances.

A winning culture is not just about setting the right goals and pushing hard to achieve them, it’s about measuring performance, learning from mistakes, and holding every stakeholder accountable.

A new Mariners Moto: We train for football, and we fight to win, for every person in the Central Coast community.

Insertnamehere

We all want a winning culture, Mariners spirit etc. as many have posted. Top six minimum many others have said.

Well I think @Forum Phoenix nailed it in a paragraph in his post on page 8 in The Reign of Mike Mulvey thread.

I think Mulvey will be aiming to win the league. Which is EXACTLY what any coach should be doing. You dream it, make a plan to achieve it, and then work your guts out trying to successfully execute it. And then see where you land. Want to reach the moon. Aim for the stars.”

Set Goals

We can’t win anything by not setting the right goals and defining a path to success. It’s critical that both attainable goals and lofty, seemingly unattainable goals are set in order to drive us forward. We need to get out of our comfort zone and push our squad / club hard. Sure, celebrating the small wins is important as it keeps people engaged but we shouldn’t get hung up on the little achievements. If this is done too frequently, we start to master mediocrity and spend less time on working towards the tougher goals. A top six finish is not a good enough goal, our Goals for 2018/2019 should be:

1. Win the FFA Cup

2. Win the Premiership

3. Win the Championship

On review of this season, I wonder, what was Okon’s goal? Was it just to beat Sydney? In hindsight, it may have been. We were good that night, everything he had said he was trying to get the team to do; they did, and look what the result was. It should have been celebrated as a small win, he should have played a poker face and talked about where things in the game were good, they were below what was expected, challenging the squad to be better. But no, he celebrated like he had just won the treble, but we were only in Round 6. Our season was over front that point onwards.

Not only define them, but ingrain them in everything you do. The values and guiding principles should be so important, that without them the club fails.

Values such as working hard, pride, helping each other having each other’s back being a special part and representative of the local community.

For example, Mulvey could from day 1 of training say to the whole squad. One night per week, each and every one of you is to have one team mate over to your home for dinner, until every member of the squad has been to your house. While you are there you need to get to know your guest, what makes them tick, what things they hold dear. Just imagine the individual bonding that is instilled, and more importantly the environment of trust created. All of a sudden, everyone is looking after one another, and we will never see another example of one of our team hurt, and the other 10 not giving a flying f@#k. Instead, there would be 10 players around him, making sure he is ok. That’s a true team orientated wining culture.

We are a small community club. If we truly value our community to have pride in our team, pride in our shirt, then all key stakeholders need to be engaged from sponsors, volunteers, members, fans, and ex-players.

Imagine if we use the dinner example above and extend it further. Instead of just a team mate, have an employee from one of our sponsor’s, a volunteer and a member. Get to know all of them, the Players will know who they are playing for and the others will be truly supportive of the players representing them.

Never underestimate the role the female members of our club / community could play.

Imagine if a Female supporters group was set up, run by one of the player’s wives, girlfriends or mums. They all meet at Julie’s kitchen for nibblies before the game, and all marched down to the stadium pre-game, all in there pink Mariners top and straight into a designated bay.

Ex-players such as Zwaanswijk, McBreen, Sterjovski, Gumps, and Kwas etc. and get them to become involved. It could run along the lines of in addition to the team training sessions, Zwaanswijk does a session with just the defensive unit, whilst McBreen and Sterjovski doing a session with our attackers.

A winning culture is not just about setting the right goals and pushing hard to achieve them, it’s about measuring performance, learning from mistakes, and holding every stakeholder accountable.

A new Mariners Moto: We train for football, and we fight to win, for every person in the Central Coast community.
Rebuild our brand of football. We never won playing curriculum Tika Taka. We won games on heart, effort and some cheeky cunning. Stick to our brand of football, sell our football brand, be accountable for our football brand.

Look to other teams in small markets that have been ridiculously successful despite the obvious impediments against them. MLS to me provides a few to look.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Set Goals

1. Win the FFA Cup

2. Win the Premiership

3. Win the Championship

Great post Holy.

You had me @Forum Phoenix said ;)

pjennings

Following on from @Holy post this club prides itself as the Community Club. The connections to the local coast clubs, the local businesses, schools, the IFS, council and CCF have to be mutually beneficial. Discounted A-League memberships to local players, coaching and administration support may be a way to re-connect. When my son played as a junior there were often half the team at Mariners games. That sort of buy in doesn't seem to be there any more. The football base on the Central Coast has nearly doubled since then while the Mariners have been on the Coast and in the early years CCMFC benefitted greatly from the base that was there. Why now, 13 years later, is there no sugar hit for the Mariners. Have the CCMFC become part of the furniture? If so it is time to understand why the hard work that the club does do is not having the same effect. (Quick answer may be the on field performance - but is their something deeper there?)

The club provides a professional pathway for talented boys ( and hopefully soon girls ) to the elite level of the sport. Mat Ryan, Trent Sainsbury, Mile Jedinak, Tom Rogić will probably the first 4 people picked for Russia. Alex Wilkinson and Oliver Bozanic played in the World Cup in Rio as well. It is important for the local community and local juniors in particular to see this and see that the pathway is there.

Mat Ryan, Alex Wilkinson, Matt Simon, Trent Sainsbury, Mile Jedinak, Oliver Bozanic, Tom Rogić, Mustafa Amini,, Danny Vukovic and Mitchell Duke have (among others) have all played for the Socceroos and we have seen past Socceroos greats John Aloisi, Tony Vidmar and Mark Bosnich all call the Mariners their team. This is a proud tradition and one the club could be shouting from the rooftops especially if and when the Mariners Socceroo spine plays well in Russia.

As for this year, I would bring back Wilko, while not a local he is emblematic of the Coast. I would bring back Ollie an Avoca junior, bring back Matty Simon an East Gosford junior and sign Lachie Wales a Terrigal junior. I would also make sure we retain IFS graduate and Umina junior Trent Buhagiar. (These signings are all on the proviso that they follow Holy's new Mariners Motto: We train for football, and we fight to win, for every person in the Central Coast community).

finally retired

if we insist that Mariners team members live on the coast, we won't get Wilko. One of my "box" members is a good friend of Wilko's wife and she says they will not live on the coast. so if that is a pre-req then it will mean no Wilko.

Insertnamehere

if we insist that Mariners team members live on the coast, we won't get Wilko. One of my "box" members is a good friend of Wilko's wife and she says they will not live on the coast. so if that is a pre-req then it will mean no Wilko.
They could live at kuring-gai..... Berowra maybe...?

Wombat

So no Wilko then.

LFCMariners

Set Goals

1. Win the FFA Cup

2. Win the Premiership

3. Win the Championship

This needs to be forwarded to the Mariners office ASAP.

Only thing I would ad is that every new signing has to get the CCM logo and 'No One Rates Us- We Don't Care' tattooed on them somewhere...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred