• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Looking After Lord Golec

bikinigirl

. just to give you guys a bit of an update:
- i believe i have gone through the correct channels to try and get the opportunity to present the gifts to Antony at the Medal Dinner
- unfortunately the 2 minutes required could not be found in the program to do it properly
- so i'll have to try and find an opportunity on the night to track him down and present to him on the quiet

. although Antony may prefer the quieter approach (having spoken to him at the Open Mike Night) ... it is rather disappointing especially considering how many have given so generously. good to see the whole cultural turn around is getting off on the right path

Wombat

Hi BG,
It might be the better option.
Anthony is not show off type and the gift is not a reward for excellence so maybe a quiet handshake and here this is what the fans think of you might be better.
It doesn't devalue the fantastic generosity and kindness of the people that put in.
You could see how appeciative he was that a whip round was even carried out.

Dont worry and enjoy the evening..............btw can you give a report on here about the evening.

bikinigirl

. probably best for me too ... i was dreading having to make a 'speech'

. if there is anything worth reporting from the medal dinner i'll try and take note ... although my senses may be a little impaired on the night

MagpieMariner

. probably best for me too ... i was dreading having to make a 'speech'

. if there is anything worth reporting from the medal dinner i'll try and take note ... although my senses may be a little impaired on the night
Is that "impaired" or "in vinoed"? lol

Josho Howe

Great decision from the club and good to see the Lord sticking around. Thought he was our most consistent player this season.

pjennings

Great decision from the club and good to see the Lord sticking around. Thought he was our most consistent player this season.

I love the fact that he has re-signed. He may not be the best player we have but he seems to want to be here and understands what a community club is all about.

bikinigirl

. met with Antony at the start of the night and handed over our little get well gift ... he was, of course, extremely appreciative and somewhat reluctant to accept as he deemed it unnecessary

. i assured him that this is what we do as a community club and that we appreciate his efforts. as a get well gift it was our intention to show support through the upcoming rehabilitation and so that he knows we, the fans, are behind him and to help motivate him back to full health and continued improvements on the pitch

20180427_183151e.jpg

. once again i would like to thank you all for contributing and especially to Wombat for coordinating and purchasing all the gifts ... you're a star, you're all stars

Holy

. met with Antony at the start of the night and handed over our little get well gift ... he was, of course, extremely appreciative and somewhat reluctant to accept as he deemed it unnecessary

. i assured him that this is what we do as a community club and that we appreciate his efforts. as a get well gift it was our intention to show support through the upcoming rehabilitation and so that he knows we, the fans, are behind him and to help motivate him back to full health and continued improvements on the pitch

View attachment 1088

. once again i would like to thank you all for contributing and especially to Wombat for coordinating and purchasing all the gifts ... you're a star, you're all stars
And a big thank you to both you and Wombat :cheers:

bikinigirl

btw can you give a report on here about the evening.

. okay, i'll do my best to remember the key moments:
  • award winners people will have seen from elsewhere - but what you have to remember is the voting structure for each of these. for example the mariners medal is voted by the players on a 3,2,1 after each game - which means that Kennedy was well in front before the last month or so ... and the players can't take their votes back if they are unimpressed with a particular performance. interestingly Brama finished second
  • as another aside Lachie Wales finished 4th in the OSC voting and from what i recall of Schembri's speech he only played 10 games in the HAL ... but for the Academy, NYL and HAL he has played over 100 games in the last 18 months / two years
  • Charlesworth's speech went for over an hour (or so i was told by somebody who timed him) - i may elaborate a little later
  • Charlesworth 'interviewed' a panel consisting of Matt Graham, Mike Phelan and Nick Montgomery ... it was all about professionalism
  • Shaun tried for payback on Charlesworth after last year's 'roast'. most of this would have been lost on anyone who didn't witness last year's embarrassment (or those that have erased it from their memory) - some of it was cheeky, some would only raise doubts about Charlesworth and some of it simply offended our Dutch players
  • Josh Rose gave another impassioned plea to maintain the faith and for everybody to work to turn it around. he also made the point that the players didn't get much of a mention throughout the evening (not really a surprise even though it was 'their' night)
  • a few of the departing/departed players were there. Powell was an obvious absentee ... as he was not there to receive his 'golden boot' award ... split three ways for scoring four goals FFS
  • i know it has been mentioned elsewhere but DDS appeared very sheepish accepting awards and when he finally did speak he essentially wished the mariners well for next year
  • there were a lot of rude, inconsiderate people in attendance - i don't know if they were fans, staff, players, WAGs or sponsors - but there was a lack of respect shown to most of the speakers with many tables engaging in sustained conversation at inappropriate times
EDIT: sorry i forgot to mention MM's speech as well which was a more focused follow-up to his intro at the Mike night and echoed the main theme for the night (refer below regarding Charlesworth's speech)

Last edited:

bikinigirl

okay, to Charlesworth's speech:
  • he was passionate ... letting slip with more than one expletive
  • he yells a lot
  • really got stuck into the FFA particularly Lowy and Gallop (it was good to hear him attacking somebody other than the fans and council)
  • he talked about 'the new league' ... his independent dream ... and sustainability
  • breathed new life into his Australasian ideal ... an a-league including competing Asian nation teams
  • called for the FFA to give us our W-League team - now
  • noted how over the last couple of months he has spent more time on the Mariners than ever before (he mentioned this at the Mike night too - but to me it is an important development ... it indicates that he is finally holding more than the fans and council/stadium accountable for any failings)
  • sang the praises of our e-league representatives and as a sign to the future (as their viewership numbers were bigger than the HAL)
  • declared Kathryn Duncan responsible for sorting out and finishing the CoE
  • reinforced his views that Shaun and MM are the best for their respective jobs
  • continually brought up professionalism ... a not at all subtle dig at the squad, our previous coach and the season ... particularly how it ended
. which brings me to the guests:
  • firstly he brought on Matt Graham (who was probably the most articulate speaker on the night) and questioned how he went about achieving his goals, his work ethic, discipline, commitment and treating his sport as a full-time profession (i have never found Charlesworth to be a clear speaker but it was obvious what he wanted to hear)
  • then he brought on Mike Phelan and the same theme continued with a focus on bringing Ronaldo to ManU and what set him apart from pretty much everybody else ... and how his obvious talents were not the key it was his work ethic and drive to be the best
  • next was Monty ... and you'll never guess the focus ... same stuff with a direct link to the Mariners - what it took to compete against the likes of Ronaldo, etc
  • i found this to be quite engaging (and have not witnessed anything similar in the many medal dinners i have attended) ... but it was also interesting to see the body language of some of the players within my view - my generalisation and interpretation of that body language:
    • senior players listening intently
    • kiddies trying to process all the info
    • 'middling' players comfortable with their own efforts looking for other distractions or the affirmation from their partner that they are doing alright and that you don't have to worry about this stuff
  • some obviously didn't find it as engaging ... and i wonder what the likes of Mike Phelan must think coming down to some South Coast Backwater to talk about his experience coaching one of the biggest players in the history of the game at one of the biggest clubs in the world and people who have paid $130/head (or had someone pay it for them) couldn't even be bothered listening to him

Gratis

Just reading up on Mike Phelan - interesting stuff. Curious to see if any more comes of this relationship

Thanks for the all the info there, bikinigirl! Most appreciated

Reactions: adz

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred