• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Is Trott good enough for the A-League?

Wombat

I had a feeling any game Trotty plays in is going to be high scoring and the bottom line is that he IS NOT an HAL standard keeper at this stage of his development. We need a decent experienced reserve keeper to keep the pressure on Danny and to help Trotty develop further.

For me the defence was disgraceful and Trotty wasn't really to blame, apart from his total lack of organisation of his defenders.

Clarky is woeful positionally, he has absolutely no idea of how to defend, mark and track back,he can tackle and is a good crosser but  basically is a complete amateur as a full back.
O'Grady looked slow and very very rusty...his jog back into the box on the fifth goal was pathetic.
Brown....is not a left back's arsehole.
Wilko...he IS a good player but doesn't impress me as a centre back. His best games for us have been at RB. 
Vidmar...shows glimpses of his quality but is painfully slow. Must be the slowest defender in HAL.

Our marking is often very poor and our defensive headers lack authority. We need to toughen up and always want that ball, too often we throw our hands in the air and look around for someone else to blame.

Boogard must play each and every game as he is our best defender.

We have been dodgy at the back a fair bit this season but Danny has saved our arse on many an occassion.

northernspirit

danny comes off his line (sometimes too far but its a good thing overall) and i dont think Trott comes off anywhere near enough... against Perth we will have another make shift defensive lineup so thank fark Danny is back!

FFC Mariner

From the official site. Beautifully put Ben :)

Having watched from the sidelines for 164 minutes of game time, where the Central Coast Mariners have surrendered nearly half of the goals they have conceded this campaign, goalkeeper Danny Vukovic is relishing his pending return to the pitch at Members Equity Stadium this Sunday.

Jocwa08

He is a very good goalkeeper but he lacks self confidence and it will be hard for him to gain that after 10 goals in 164mins.
When Danny goes overseas id like to see Van Stratten come home ive never seen him play i only heard of him the other day but he's a local boy and he's in europe id love to watch him.

Bear

Jocwa08 said:
He is a very good goalkeeper but he lacks self confidence and it will be hard for him to gain that after 10 goals in 164mins.
When Danny goes overseas id like to see Van Stratten come home ive never seen him play i only heard of him the other day but he's a local boy and he's in europe id love to watch him.

Juventus reserve to Mariners, somehow I dont see that happening

And can I just add THANK FU_CK Wombat and Empty dont coach the Mariners, sheesh

pjennings

I know JC and Danny are good - but surely Buffon is better!!! Though don't expect to much game time Jess

brett

Wombat said:
We have been dodgy at the back a fair bit this season but Danny has saved our arse on many an occassion.

Our defence this season up until the last two games was the best defence of any A-League team ever.

Your criticism of the defenders is completely based on one bad game, completely forgetting how awesome Browny was for a whole season at LB, and how awesome Wilko has been in nearly every match at CB (good enough for a Socceroos call up...someone must have been impressed even if you aren't).

pjennings

brett said:
Wombat said:

Our defence this season up until the last two games was the best defence of any A-League team ever.

Your criticism of the defenders is completely based on one bad game, completely forgetting how awesome Browny was for a whole season at LB, and how awesome Wilko has been in nearly every match at CB (good enough for a Socceroos call up...someone must have been impressed even if you aren't).

I would have given Wilko a call up on last year's form - not this year. This year he jumps in and doesn't shut the play down or ball watches. Our best defence has been with Boogs and Viddy in the centre. Good luck to him on the call up but he needs to work to get back to where he was before his injury. 

brett

pjennings said:
brett said:
Wombat said:

I would have given Wilko a call up on last year's form - not this year. This year he jumps in and doesn't shut the play down or ball watches. Our best defence has been with Boogs and Viddy in the centre. Good luck to him on the call up but he needs to work to get back to where he was before his injury. 

Probably agree with most of that. Archie's goal last week where he ran past Wilko to the near post is usually bread and butter for our captain.

I still think it would be poor form to say 'Wilko does not impress me as a CB'.

Leedsmariner

Technically he is very sound, he is a great shot stopper but he is only a baby in professional goalkeeping terms and will learn to organise his defense and take charge of his penalty area with games and in time.
He is a more than adequate back up keeper, but I am not sure if he would be our long term solution if/when Danny goes overseas

Andy

pjennings said:
I know JC and Danny are good - but surely Buffon is better!!! Though don't expect to much game time Jess

He can however expect to get a sh*tload more $$$$ playing second fiddle to Gianluigi Buffon then becoming our first choice.

Wombat

brett said:
Wombat said:

Browny wasn't awesome at LB last year. He did quite well at times, especially attacking but was often caught in no mans land while defending. Osman on the other hand WAS awesome this season at RB...the difference was massive.
Wilko was superb in season 1 & 2. He was 442's right back on their team of the year. This year he has looked more fallible, still better than most, but not as good as the previous two years, possibly adjusting to a new position. Maybe in time he will be the rock at the back but for mine he was better at RB.
If you look at alot of the games where we have won this year we have been very lucky that the opposing teams have had terrible strikers...i.e Qld and Perth. Often we have been ripped open down the middle but they couldn't convert their chances. This combined with Danny's brilliance has given us a very good defensive record, probably a little bit deceiving if you study each game.
Our defence has been good but not outstanding, apart from Boogard.

We are a beautiful attacking team, fast, fit, tough with a shed load of courage. My only question mark is the positioning of our defenders, there often look lost. Conceeding 10 goals in 2 games when you are top of the table indicates a problem. Lawrie and co have done brilliantly signing Alvin and he will go a long way to solving the problem.

Anyway with our full strength side we can beat any team in the comp regardless.

T

trottyfan

Just been viewing the Back Of The Net website and noticed Trotty's got 2 Man Of The Match Awards V Qld in round 3 and Perth in round 13. Not bad for a bloke who's not up to A League standard. 2 MOM in 5 games ??? ??? and from memory wasn't he the Marinators Man Of The Match against Perth in Round 13. How fickle us supporters can be.

SPARKY

As and Ex Keeper, Manager and Coach, I have had years of experience. Trotty can not be held responsible for any of the goals. The goals were because of the bad defence. The backs had a shocker. Laurie and the coaching staff backed Trotty 100%. Go Trotty, keep up the good work and show everyone what a great keeper you are.

Rowdy

Wombat said:
Clarky is woeful positionally, he has absolutely no idea of how to defend, mark and track back,he can tackle and is a good crosser but  basically is a complete amateur as a full back.

This has to be up there with the most stupid'est of comments I've read on this forum.  ::)
FFS! Someone please give this bloke a singing lesson.

It goes a little'like this;

"He's HERE, He's THERE
He's EVERY BLOODY WHERE!........(WHO?)

Watching Stringers play and nearly score an own goal within 1.5 mins, I was screaming for him to be breath tested  :eek:

Yeah he settled, did alright against Harnwell. Would have rathered Boogs man marking JH and have Clarkey at RB, AC would have motored up and back more providing an extra man on the right side, putting in the perfect crosses to JA like of late. Say that in knowing that Checker's was never going to push forward much on his debut, so counter that with Clarkey on the right with Alvin playing more defensively.

Clarkey would have relished marking Lazza as well, the little terrier that he is.

Bear

SPARKY said:
As and Ex Keeper, Manager and Coach, I have had years of experience. Trotty can not be held responsible for any of the goals. The goals were because of the bad defence. The backs had a shocker. Laurie and the coaching staff backed Trotty 100%. Go Trotty, keep up the good work and show everyone what a great keeper you are.

Id say this one is up there to Rowdy. Great 1st post SPARKY. Only a blind man or a troll would say Trott was not responsible for ANY of his 10 goals. Which 1 are you?

Nowra

I agree with Sparky and most other people on this thread. At worst you may say he was at fault for 1 goal but other than that he played well. The fact this thread has gone off the "Is Trott Good Enough For The A-League" to questioning how our defence was ordinary is proof of that.
By the way Bear you were strangly quiet after Trotty's first 3 appearances this year. ::) ::) 

jaypee

Nowra said:
I agree with Sparky and most other people on this thread. At worst you may say he was at fault for 1 goal but other than that he played well. The fact this thread has gone off the "Is Trott Good Enough For The A-League" to questioning how our defence was ordinary is proof of that.
By the way Bear you were strangly quiet after Trotty's first 3 appearances this year. ::) ::) 

Well you have both clearly missed the point. The question was - Is he up to A-League standard. Not how many of the Goals was he at fault for.

He is not A-League standard for the reasons I and many have outlined above. Look at the way he commands (or doesn't) his area compared to Danny. Fact is as a keeper thats the big thing and it has such a knock on effect to the rest of the team.

Sparky - if you were an ex keeper and the rest than seriously look at what other keepers have posted and tell us the reasons why he is A-League standard. 

FFC Mariner

Totally agree with the comments about Clarky. Our back 4 cried out for his pace and energy against Perth.

Nobody could ever criticise Stringers heart or desire but he is probably only going to get a run as a last resort these days

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred