• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Is Trott good enough for the A-League?

Trott is good enough.  There was no defence line at all in last nights loss to Victory.  

It's so easy to target the goalie when there is a loss.

I have no doubt Trott will continue to grow as he gets more game time.  He is only a youngster in goal keeping years.

chuck

I can't beleive what I am reading, talk about blaming 1 guy for the the whole teams S__T display. There is only 1 person whose opinion counts in this matter and thats Lawrie's, if Lawrie thinks Trott can do it then thats good enough for me and then everyone should get behind Trotty. Bagging him out is not going to help his confidence next time Danny is injured or has a brain expolsion, plus if the 10 guys in front of him pulled their weight 10 goals would not have been scored.

fedelta

rosko said:
The return of Vuko will lift the entire team.... The team will not be holding Trott as a scapegoat for the losses, or the goals against. The team will lift with the return of Vuko...
Danny really fires up the boys during the match, whereas Trott seems to be alot quieter.

Andy

Technically he is good enough IMO, but he is just lacking something. Whether it be confidence or Command of his area, he just isn't the same trotty that kept clean sheets against QLD and Perth earlier on in the season.

jaypee

Andy said:
Technically he is good enough IMO, but he is just lacking something. Whether it be confidence or Command of his area, he just isn't the same trotty that kept clean sheets against QLD and Perth earlier on in the season.

Andy he is exactly the same Trott. He did not command the area in either of those two games either but his shot stopping was great as it was last week. There is nothing wrong with that aspect of his game. its the confidence he lacks in commanding his area. As a keeper you are drilled that its your area and the defenders are yours.

Ever see him getting stuck into a defender?

Both he and Danny are the same age and Danny is now in his 3rd season.

I actually feel that if Danny goes we need another keeper to step in where Danny left of. I do not think Trott is the guy and I would go as far to say that I would like to see him against Rednmayne.

Sean

I think he lacks the agility that Danny has.

but then again, our shocking defence didnt do him any favours.

FFC Mariner

This "he is very inexperienced" arguement tends to fail when you recall how Danny was chucked in at the deep end when JC got injured early on in V1.

Danny rose to it and Trotty hasnt.

C

C U JIMMY

One worrying thing for me was  Viddy playing the ball as Trotty was about to pick it up and taking it to the corner flag,  a sure sign the confidence in the keeper is not there,  Vidmar has played in the champions league and with top clubs in Europe think about it,  sorry but as I said  in a previous post  I dont think Trotty is ready for the A League,  aside from that our defending on the left side of the pitch has still got me gobsmacked,  we looked so confident all over the park against Sydney before the Danny dismissal then this.....  ::)

Teddy Bear

For someone to let in ten goals in two games is definitely not a-league standard. He has to go back to the state league and stay there until he can learn to move his feet, get in position and kick the ball.

Even Fergie was going off at him last night for his shite kicking.

beccstar

I think we are condemning him, too early.. yes it was frustrating and yes 10 goals in two games is unacceptable(whether the defence was ordinary or not) the fact of the matter is he is our 2nd string keeper, he has played correct me if im wrong in 4 games this season. i'm sure like defenders, mid fielders and forwards match fitness will come into play for goalies too or maybe Nerves? No one can deny Vuko is our main man, and we are a lot more confident when he is in goals, but Matty Trott is part of our team. So don't condemn him- :naughty: support him. :grouphug:  He will find his form...   :headbounce:

Bear

jaypee said:
As a Goal Keeper who played at State League level I feel I can talk a little about this.

Trotty had no hope on any of those goals last night (perhaps Archies) but the defending was woeful and Danny would have had the same issues.

That said however, the fact that Trotty is nervous beyond belief does impact your team. There were times when I screamed at him to get of his line and get the ball, command his area etc. When you are defending you need your keeper to take charge and he simply did not.

I am not blaming the kid, again our defence was woeful....

Not quite state league  ;), but im also a keeper

Trott is VERY flat footed. There are times where things happen, and it takes Trott a half a second longer to react than Danny. Half a second is a long time for a keeper. His 1st conceded against Sydney. Archies goal. He needs to be more aware

ALSO his talking is non existent. Wilko had a 10 yard head start on Archie, and only needed Trott to tell him to get a foot out to stop Archie slipping in. Allsopp open on the back post for the tap in, there was a defender of ours open in the middle who was jogging back. Tell him to get on Allsopp, no tap in goal

Im very worried about Danny getting injured or leaving now. Remember, its euro transfer time....

northernspirit

yeah i agree
id hate to see danny go, its all well to say lets get behind him etc etc but at this crucial time of the season we need to be picking up 3 points... giving the lad experience is ok in the pre-season cup but i dont think he is a-league standard. I know Lawrie had no choice but to play him but maybe we should be looking for a better #2 like Adelaide have done. Ill be praying Danny stays with us next season

jaypee

Jose Bearinator said:
jaypee said:
As a Goal Keeper who played at State League level I feel I can talk a little about this.

Trotty had no hope on any of those goals last night (perhaps Archies) but the defending was woeful and Danny would have had the same issues.

That said however, the fact that Trotty is nervous beyond belief does impact your team. There were times when I screamed at him to get of his line and get the ball, command his area etc. When you are defending you need your keeper to take charge and he simply did not.

I am not blaming the kid, again our defence was woeful....

Not quite state league  ;), but im also a keeper

Trott is VERY flat footed. There are times where things happen, and it takes Trott a half a second longer to react than Danny. Half a second is a long time for a keeper. His 1st conceded against Sydney. Archies goal. He needs to be more aware

ALSO his talking is non existent. Wilko had a 10 yard head start on Archie, and only needed Trott to tell him to get a foot out to stop Archie slipping in. Allsopp open on the back post for the tap in, there was a defender of ours open in the middle who was jogging back. Tell him to get on Allsopp, no tap in goal

Im very worried about Danny getting injured or leaving now. Remember, its euro transfer time....

Agree about his non talking - it comes down to ownership. You need to own your 18 yard box (and probably beyond), you need to talk, The defenders rely on you for both position but also confidence. If the keeper is not confident, they aren't (case in point Vidmar taking the ball away from Trotty).

I really think if Danny goes we need two new keepers - a number one and a very good backup. Lets not forget in season 1 Danny was the backup and thats the kind of backup we need. Trotty needs to do another year in the Lightning but work with JC as well and then perhaps he will develop into that number 1 or even 2 we need.

Bex

Give Trotty a break. Whilst there might be one or two that Vukovic might have saved that Trotty didn't, I don't think any of those would have changed the result. Also consider that Trotty has pulled off some very good saves in the last couple of weeks and that the team has immediately put him under a huge amount of pressure in both games. What the hell was Brown doing anyway to give Caceras such a chance?

jaypee

Bex said:
Give Trotty a break. Whilst there might be one or two that Vukovic might have saved that Trotty didn't, I don't think any of those would have changed the result. Also consider that Trotty has pulled off some very good saves in the last couple of weeks and that the team has immediately put him under a huge amount of pressure in both games. What the hell was Brown doing anyway to give Caceras such a chance?

Bex - you missed the point totally here. I have not nor do I believe the majority of people here have not stated Danny would have saved those goals.

The question is - Is he good enough. Short answer is not at the moment.

Why - He lacks confidence to command his area. Being a shot stopper is one thing but its only 30-40% of it. Confidence for the team starts at the back, it starts with the GK and Trotty simply lacks this at the moment. If he gets it he will be great but my feeling is he is "too nice". Did you see him get up Browny? No. What would Danny have done? What about Wilko, he needed someone saying Archies up ya, He needed to yell at Mile to get out of the area and put Alsop offside.

Did he come off his line to stop Biddle in the Sydney game, In the QLD game he flapped at the corner, its all confidence and that is why I suggest he plays in the Lightning this year. We can't expect him to grow if he does not play. Its the same with Matty Simon.

HE just needs to get some mongrel and command his area. His shot stopping is not in question.

Empty

Trott is a good keeper.  He lacks confidence.  He is very weak 1 on 1.  He makes great saves from long range and low reflex shots and I believe he has the ability to become great.  He cannot be blamed for the 10 goals in 165mins over the last 2 matches.  The defence let him down.  There were 2, possibly 3, goals that Danny would have saved over both matches where timing was everything.  A more confident Trott would have saved them but it would have not changed the result... well maybe we could have scraped in a draw against Sydney.

If there is one thing the Mariners need to work on, that is their defence and attacking the crossed high ball in the 18 yard box.  This is the weakness at the moment.  Sydney exploited it and Melbourne took notes.  Lets hope Perth haven't reviewed the last 2 Mariners matches or we may fall further on the ladder.

~Floss~

jaypee said:
HE just needs to get some mongrel and command his area. His shot stopping is not in question.

Well said.

He does make some cracker saves, but any mistakes are judgement/confidence -related.

While you could argue that by the time some of those shots were made, any keeper would have had trouble saving them, a lot of those shots came from obvious defensive gaps & poor marking. Better communication would have limited the number of these instances or at least put more pressure on the attacker.

Bex

jaypee said:
Bex - you missed the point totally here. I have not nor do I believe the majority of people here have not stated Danny would have saved those goals.

The question is - Is he good enough. Short answer is not at the moment.

Why - He lacks confidence to command his area. Being a shot stopper is one thing but its only 30-40% of it. Confidence for the team starts at the back, it starts with the GK and Trotty simply lacks this at the moment. If he gets it he will be great but my feeling is he is "too nice". Did you see him get up Browny? No. What would Danny have done? What about Wilko, he needed someone saying Archies up ya, He needed to yell at Mile to get out of the area and put Alsop offside.

Did he come off his line to stop Biddle in the Sydney game, In the QLD game he flapped at the corner, its all confidence and that is why I suggest he plays in the Lightning this year. We can't expect him to grow if he does not play. Its the same with Matty Simon.

You're right, I did miss that point and I don't disagree with what you just said :-D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred