• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

HMAS Adelaide - Yay or Nay?

J

jiggles

For those who support the HMAS Adelaide, there will be a march and rally tomorrow from 3pm at the Oval near Terrigal Haven. Supporters are asked to come and show their support by wearing NAVY BLUE.

My friend has dived (dove?) a few wrecks in NZ. He saw the area before the wreck and after...he said the after was amazing. It went from being just sand...to a place full of sea life, and it was just breathtaking.

For those also who wish to help out the charities who got screwed over by the cancellation (whinge all you like about wasted sausages etc, but it has put a lot of them a thousand steps backwards), Sea FM and 2GO are holding outside broadcasts at Domayne West Gosford from 10am - 2pm, and Harvey Norman Erina from 7am - 1pm, with Rotary taking part in both events to sell their sausages to try and make back the money they have lost. They will also be selling the HMAS Adelaide shirts they had ordered and printed (which, cannot be re-used as they have the sate on them). Feel free to come and buy one, like I will be doing (and decorating in permanent marker saying "I should be here") and wear it to the rally even! So come and grab a snag and support Rotary! They deserve it for all the hard work they put in to organise the cancelled event.

midfielder

marinermick said:
midfielder said:
marinermick said:
FFC Mariner said:
I further note that where this has been done in Oz waters before, no adverse environment impacts have been felt

and the thousand of unstripped shipwrecks around the world that have had no impact on the environment, including many in pristine tropical areas that have just enhanced the sealife

Ship wrecks are seen to enhance sealife ... no argument about it ... just do it I wanta go for a dive...

interesting eh?

would coral and sealife exist and live on anything that is toxic?

Re the coral reef growing on a ship ... Arsenic is a poison but it is in many foods and drinks they use arsenic  in wine making as an example and have done so for years. A glass of red a day is good for you  But to much Arsenic and its good bye cruel world It depends on have much toxin and at what rate BTW some of those ships in the pacific are time bombs as their fuel tanks have never leaked and some believe once they do they could cause major damage

This ship has been stripped and what toxins there are will be slowly released like the red wine is good well maybe no good but no real harm neither so to is the shelter the ship will provide sea life also like the arsenic it can be good but in massive doses it is bad the history of sunken ships is they release very slowly .

Additionally they provide food for other fish and other underwater reefs that may be there.
So yes they are considered good

On another related issue a few years back they dumped rubber tyres in lake Macquarie to form reefs for fish ... no issues so far that I am aware of ... reefs are by and large good for sea life...whether man made or natural..

marinermick

goingtoadisco said:
What were the rotary going to do with all the sausages if the event had to be cancelled becouse the swell was to big ?

people would have still came to avoca

swell was only big during the morning and it would have been cancelled last minute

there still would have been all the peripheral activities going on

J

jiggles

goingtoadisco said:
Why did they cancel it then ? Should have just had the festival and i could have worked !

Because the whole festival had a nautical theme to it, all the speeches and whatever were based around the Adelaide. Many of the stalls were selling memorabilia. Wouldn't of really worked...

Glad to say Rotary did well selling their snags with us, and later went down to Terrigal to the rally to sell more there. I bought myself a "I got wrecked at avoca" shirt...

goingtoadisco

Yer. Its before the court now. They will decide if it goes down or not or mediation between the two parties may result in an agreement being reached.

Im pretty over the whole thing. Sick of people telling me how much money i should have made( if i ever meet someone who is on holidays to dive the wreck in Avoca i will eat my shirt) also sick of people telling me how deadly its going to be.

Its all a bit shit wish they had have sunk it of Terrigal like they said they would.

J

jiggles

Wont be heard in court until May 4th.

Other places like Victoria and Townsville have put their hand up to have it sunk there.

And as much as I hate to say it, whether it was sunk in Terrigal or Avoca...its all the same water. If it was SO toxic, it would of affected both beaches anyway. Plus, its actually on the Terrigal end of Avoca anyway...

goingtoadisco

Here is a good article. Different angle from the of the advocate....
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/how-five-surfers-with-a-laptop-sank-a-scuttling-20100401-rhxu.html

Sym

Cause I cbf, why do people not want it sunk
like come on
grow a pair

also, just sink it on the lake near my place
winwin.

midfielder

Spoke to a group of Divers this morning about it... thinking they would be in favour ... they said NO ... But yes if they sink it further out ... essentially from what these guys were saying it is to close to the shore line.... move it out another half to one KL...

The closeness to the shore line is the problem.. and when I looked at the yellow buoy it did seem very close and I could see there argument..

marinermick

midfielder said:
Spoke to a group of Divers this morning about it... thinking they would be in favour ... they said NO ... But yes if they sink it further out ... essentially from what these guys were saying it is to close to the shore line.... move it out another half to one KL...

The closeness to the shore line is the problem.. and when I looked at the yellow buoy it did seem very close and I could see there argument..

What was their argument?

midfielder

marinermick said:
midfielder said:

What was their argument?

There argument was the location was to close and because of this closeness the existing swell and current movements would be changed ... with no-one actually knowing aside from significant changes .. what the exact effect will be on Avoca ... that they should take it out a tad further and give a chance for the currents to reform...

They maintained the ship would create a reef ... to close to the shore line ... and thus change many of the existing sea pattens...

Hope I got this kinda making sense... 

marinermick

midfielder said:
marinermick said:
midfielder said:

What was their argument?

There argument was the location was to close and because of this closeness the existing swell and current movements would be changed ... with no-one actually knowing aside from significant changes .. what the exact effect will be on Avoca ... that they should take it out a tad further and give a chance for the currents to reform...

They maintained the ship would create a reef ... to close to the shore line ... and thus change many of the existing sea pattens...

Hope I got this kinda making sense... 

so, essentially they have no proof anything different will happen and are just speculating?

J

jiggles

^ Bingo.

Check out every other artificial reef in Australia and talk to the locals. 99% of them will tell you how amazing its been for tourism and their economy...oh and produce some pretty spectacular scenery beneath the water.

midfielder

poko said:
^ Bingo.

Check out every other artificial reef in Australia and talk to the locals. 99% of them will tell you how amazing its been for tourism and their economy...oh and produce some pretty spectacular scenery beneath the water.

They were not arguing not to sink the ship ... these were divers who I expect would like to dive a wreck... they were saying take it out a tad more... means little in terms of tourism as you would need a boat to get to it now ... so a boat plus maybe another snip of fuel...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred