• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Have we reached bottom yet?

Scotty

With respect to the thread title . . . I'm not at rock bottom yet. I'll need another train wreck like the last Jets game for me to get there. Either that, or if we sign Berisha.

Wombat

Not quite, on the ropes as opposed to the canvas. Season is still rescuable but we have to win 2 of the next 3 games i feel. The home games against the Scum and Perth in particular. Mulvey needs to settle on a settled team and formation quickly. I would give Murray an extended run to prove himself, a game here and there isn't going to work as it will take him a little while to adjust to A league football. We have no one else who will score on a regular basis (with McCormack injured) so give the guy a run.
Likewise, keep the back 4 of Millar, Cisse, Rowles and Clisby together for a decent run of games, as well as Tommy and Aiden as DM.
We have no genuine # 10, long shot but we need to build for the future and would love to see Nisbet given a run. Can't be any worse.
When we get Aspro, Gameiro, Ross (?) and Oar back we will have a bit more depth.

Good post but Nisbet is not ready to control the midfield yet. Let him dominate in Yoof first.

turbo

Honestly, i still want to know what we're did spending our salary cap on given the poor quality of our roster

I would not be surprised if we’re overpaying for players like Simon or McGlinchey who we likely had no/minimal competition to sign. Possibly the same with some of the injured players we picked up but if they are on longer deals it might be worth it. Otherwise yeah it’s hard to see where the money has gone compared to some of the other sides in the comp, that said after the run we’ve had we would need to offer more to sweeten the deal.

Ancient Mariner

With the (perhaps, maybe) imminent announcement by the FFA of new teams there has been a lot of speculation about how much the new licences are going to cost. FFA is letting the bidders set their own price but have made it clear that the higher the price, the greater chance of success. Prices that have been guessed at in the media have ranged from $13m to $18m.

At the off season meeting at the Leagues Club MC stated that all football clubs are for sale. I seem to remember that MC put a price of about $12m on the Club and COE a few years ago when licences seemed to be valued at between $5m and $8m. I am pretty sure that a few years ago the FFA said "no way" to the possibility of relocating the Mariners licence.

Now MC has been a massive supporter of and independent A-League, which with the FFA restructure is soon to happen, with who knows what new limits on what and what cannot be done. The management of CCM seems to have been, over the last few years, to stay in a holding pattern, spending the minimum amount to stay alive until this moment arrives.

Very soon there are going to be some disappointed bidders for a new A-League licence out there all cashed up and looking for an alternate entry into the League.

Can anyone else out there add two and two together?

turbo

Can anyone else out there add two and two together?

I hope the independent A league and FFA - it will need to retain some level of input or control, maybe a veto power - don't allow the relocation of teams like that. Firstly I don't think the kind of investment we've seen should be rewarded and it sets a bad precedent and secondly it'll only cement the teams in the capital city markets. If we're allowed to be sold off and moved what does that mean for Newcastle, Nix and Wollongong or Canberra's hopes? Owners will be able to pick up struggling clubs in regional markets they have no interest in and shift them to a capital. Sydney FC don't like Southern Expansion? Victory don't want South Melbourne? Well don't let them buy us up and dump them in your backyard because that's exactly what will happen.

If our club goes away it should fold and the license be revoked and reissued. Rewarding negative management should be avoided at all costs, if MC really wanted to sell the club I'm sure he'd get a fair price for it.

Ancient Mariner

Fox has a big say in how things are organised. Fox wants teams in major markets. Capital cities, and large population areas. Look at where other sports have teams: capitals, Newcastle, Gold Coast. North Qld seems to be the exception but it covers a massive area and population and is Eastern Time Zone.
Have you also noticed in the media, how other sports teams are referred to by their avatar, rather than their home. eg Cowboys, Roosters, Sharks etc.
I think if Fox thought the Central Coast was a worthwhile market there would be a Rugby League team here.

I am not trying to revive the population, attendance, punching above our weight argument.
I am just trying to understand the bean counters in order to understand what the f*** is happening to us, what the future may be, and why we have become such a basket case.

Last edited:

Offsider

Fox has a big say in how things are organised. Fox wants teams in major markets. Capital cities, and large population areas. Look at where other sports have teams: capitals, Newcastle, Gold Coast. North Qld seems to be the exception but it covers a massive area and population and is Eastern Time Zone.
Have you also noticed in the media, how other sports teams are referred to by their avatar, rather than their home. eg Cowboys, Roosters, Sharks etc.
I think if Fox thought the Central Coast was a worthwhile market their would be a Rugby League team here.

I am not trying to revive the population, attendance, punching above our weight argument.
I am just trying to understand the bean counters in order to understand what the f*** is happening to us, what the future may be, and why we have become such a basket case.

Exactly ............

And it is all about the “bean counters” ............ it is not about the fans / club / etc.

The only benifit to central coast is a pathway for juniors to aspire to ......... which does not figure in any decisions of mc other than trying to attract them to the gate at home games.

Which is better than nothing I suppose, just something at my age is not so important any more.:(

Rowdy

I think if Fox thought the Central Coast was a worthwhile market there would be a Rugby League team here.

The fcuking tail needs to STOP wagging the dog !!

FFA needs to harden'TFU when it comes to controlling the future of the sport, because 'televising' IS THE FUTURE for any sport.

I've recently posted about how FOX are fcuking the A-League over this season in another thread.

FOX aren't the only 'game' (media platform) in town !!

LFCMariners

Would anybody have an objection to singing this in the bay next week? Overseas club loyalties and personal bias aside, seems like it would be the appropriate thing to sing right now. And maybe one day we can look back on it fondly, when (just possibly) fortunes are closer to this clubs' first 8 years in the HAL and not its' last 4?

Ancient Mariner

I really don't think there is any further to go down. That would have to be the worst we have ever played. If the Nux were half competent and could stay onside they could have score 7.

Rowdy

Digging a hole ?
- Rnd 8 and yet to win a game
- 6 straight loses

By Rnd 27 we should finally break thru to Asia !!! :cool:

..... shame it's only in location (China) & NOT the actual ACL :oops:

Insertnamehere

I really don't think there is any further to go down. That would have to be the worst we have ever played. If the Nux were half competent and could stay onside they could have score 7.
I only saw the last 5 mins of the first and the whole second half. We were worse against WSW but Nux were only attacking with 2 blokes and still caused us trouble.

Ancient Mariner

Mike's statement at the Leagues club was that he wanted to give us a team to be proud of even when they lost.
The team is losing, other clubs and the pundits are not demanding relegation, they are not even laughing at us.
They are PITYING us.

I am not feeling proud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami