HAL referees - inept or something else ?

Discussion in 'Australian Football' started by RECKY, Oct 23, 2019.

?

HAL Refs are

1. Inept

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. FFA Stooges

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Stuck between a rock and a hard place

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Capn Gus Bloodbeard Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you do. You know the ENTIRE ball has to have passed the ENTIRE line to be out, yes? So that means the centrepoint of the ball must be at least 11cm outside the line to be considered in, given the diameter is around 22cm? so, logically, that would mean you can have grass between the bottom of the ball and the line, while halfway up the ball is still over the line, wouldn't it?
    I have absolutely no idea what the relevance of the tennis shot you posted is.
    And you are yet to explain what is wrong with the tennis ball example I posted above (and your argument against the soccer example was very weak as well - clutching at straws)

2. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Who cares. It was SFC. They’ve had whole seasons of VAR going there way. About time they feel agreviated.

With that piss poor VAR angle there is no way it’s clear or obvious play on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. true believer

true believer Well-Known Member

so
    so you would then be able to measure that by a square on the line. if the base of the ball is 11cm inside the line the tangent would be the goal line .
    now if tangents make you laugh then hey whatever gets you off
    as for the tennis shot, it merely shows how wide spread line measuring tech is .
    i also would suggest the base of the ball is more than 11cm past the line

the tennis ball graphic example only shows a piece of paper under a ball . great .
    you did not supply a method of determining the position of ball in relation to the goal line " which is the point "
    not that the ball , like the tennis ball is a sphere .
    despite your adolescent insults .

4. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

Tb the issue is you’re oversimplifying making the call with the equipment we have. If there was a proven substantially cheaper option than the goal line tech used in the premier league others would be all over it.

5. Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Good lord blatant red card tackle in the 23rd minute of the distance derby only cops a yellow and VAR is okay with it.
    Amazing how these errors always go against the smaller club on the day, isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pirate Pete

Pirate Pete Well-Known Member

I'm losing track of what the VAR can and can't rule on. I thought upgrading cards from yellow to red was done away with in the A league?????

• Like Like x 1
  7. Capn Gus Bloodbeard

ahh yeah, you're right. That's not in the laws, it was just something the HAL decided to do last season because reasons

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pirate Pete

Pirate Pete Well-Known Member

I was thinking about it yesterday.
    I'm sure the Southampton bloke got a red via VAR in the EPL, before Leicester City gave them a stuffing the other night.

9. FFC Mariner

FFC Mariner Well-Known Member

That was a straight red without VAR - ref needs f**king shooting for that

10. true believer

after working in control systems for 40 years i would beg to differ.
    that isn't the point either . if you can calculate a cricket ball swing and bounce . then working out a football
    is 11cm + a poofteenth is childs play .

• Like Like x 1
  11. true believer

yes after they f**ked us twice first

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I watched the two games with Pens in them and both keepers come off the line, so wanted at least one to be saved so they wouldn’t check it to show the true bias against us. It is a given that the Pen against us will be the only saved Pen to be re-taken this season. I watch a lot of the HAL games and so far the decisions have been so inconsistent it is probably worst than any other season. But all is good because the Sydney Derby is a live again, or until SFC smash the Wanders in the next game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. RECKY

RECKY I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit

Well it’s blatantly f**kin obvious that the whole ball crossed the line in the Sydney Derby and the VAR stuffed up...I was watching the River derby (Schlake v Dortmund) in the Bundesliga and the talking heads were discussing this very subject the retired player doing color said “it’s simple to fix, put ze chip in ze ball and lasers on ze goal line and there bill be no problems “...mans a damn genius , why didn’t our powers that be think of that ...wait, sorry, I forgot their idiots

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

It's easy to fix, but its also very expensive.

It's not hard to work out if you put in the right equipment, no one is saying it is. But suggesting we can do it reliably, consistently across a range of scenarios and at an acceptable speed to avoid further disrupting the game off the kind of angles we've been watching is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I'm just glad it wasn't against us, only happens occasionally therefore a simple costs verse benefits equation for a struggling HAL who can not afford the technology is OK with me not having it. The tech does not get used much in the EPL either and they have heaps more games than us. At least it has created some good discussion and back to primary school basics;).

Having the bye was rubbish, felt it was like a little taste of what life would be like if we were kicked out. I didn't enjoy it one bit and hope we are fresh this Sunday as we will need to be.

16. turbo

turbo Well-Known Member

On the plus side I wasn’t sad or angry about our performance

17. Tevor

Tevor Well-Known Member

I did have a happy moment seeing the Scum lose after taking the lead. Ernie did not look happy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Capn Gus Bloodbeard

FIFA would need to approve any such software solutions anyway.
    Given the cost of what is available it would be a poor investment. It's a pretty rare situation, only a few times a game, and even rarer for there to be an actual issue and have the AR not in line

19. true believer

How long is the var taking now ?
    You can get a beer quicker than the var .

It aint hard it just a lack of will

20. true believer

Easy then f**k the whole thing off and go back to the judgement of your officals . Because the var is only being used to swing decisions to the desired out comes of the ffa .
    Really the var must go