FIFA World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Discussion in 'Overseas Football' started by MrCelery, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

I can't believe Robben is only 30 according to wiki.

He has been around forever.....must be the bald head.....making him look older.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

It was never a foul.

You are correct that Neill should have stayed on his feet but it was not a foul. Clumsy attempted block but it doesn't impede Grosso who just dives over a prostrate Neill.

Cynical attempt to cheat as per normal by the Italians.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. midfielder

midfielder Well-Known Member

3 Brazilians walk into a food court in Porto Alegre filled with Argentinian fans … watch what happens.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dibo

dibo Well-Known Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

5. sydmariner

sydmariner Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

6. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Dibs......I'm English so seeing Australia get knocked out of the Cup is not the end of the world for me.
    I like Australia to do well coz I live here, I married one, I have 3 kids with weakened bloodlines (joking), most of my mates are skips and most importantly it's good for the game here.
    When England get knocked out I am angry and antisocial. When Australia get knocked out I'm mildly sad.

But Australia got tucked up pure and simple.

Happy to discuss why you think it was a foul?

• Like Like x 1
  7. dibo

dibo Well-Known Member

His challenge impeded Grosso, had Neill not been there Grosso either scores or gets an assist. That's fine if Neill gets the ball but he didn't. Game over.

Grosso made a meal of it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul.

8. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Quality finish. 1.0 to the Krauts.
    What can Messi do in the last few minutes?

• Like Like x 1
  9. VicMariner

VicMariner Well-Known Member

Nothing.
    Deutschland über alles.

10. MrCelery

MrCelery Well-Known Member

Best team won, period. Congrats to Die Mannschaft.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dibo

dibo Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

12. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Top finish. Great to see the game settled by a goal.

Argies had there chances but blew them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Big Al

Big Al Well-Known Member

Now onto the bribery cups

• Like Like x 1
  14. sydmariner

sydmariner Well-Known Member

;)

15. Wombat

Wombat Well-Known Member

Yep you and Celery picked em....well done boys.

In makes me feel slightly sick and dirty to be cheering for Germans but they were the best team by some way.

Hurry back Spain the world needs you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Capn Gus Bloodbeard Well-Known Member

So FIFA were apparently so inspired by our grand final that they want to replicate it.

Collina - AR's have been told to hold the flag on tight calls with a promising attack and rely on the VAR instead.

This is the height of stupidity from FIFA. Those idiots have no idea what they're doing and don't understand the game. It's also a perversion from what the VAR is supposed to be used for.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44459554

World Cup assistant referees have been told to keep their flag down for tight offside calls to enable VAR to make the correct decision, says Fifa referees committee chairman Pierluigi Collina.

Russia 2018 will be the first World Cup to use the video assistant referee system.

"If you see some assistant referee not raising the flag it's not because he's making mistakes," said Collina.

"It's because he's respected the instruction to keep the flag down."

Italian former referee Collina was speaking at the World Cup referees media briefing on Tuesday.

"They were told to keep the flag down when there is a tight offside incident and there could be a very promising attack or a goal-scoring opportunity because if the assistant referee raises the flag then everything is finished," he said.

"If the assistant referee keeps the flag down and the play goes on and maybe a goal comes at the end, there is a chance to review the goal using the technology."

Fifa president Gianni Infantino confirmed in March that VAR would be used in Russia, having been used in Germany and Italy and trialled in in some domestic English cup games last season.

The VAR - a current or former top referee - is in place to check decisions on four sorts of incidents:

• Goals, including 'missed' attacking offences in the build-up
    • Penalties awarded and not awarded, including 'missed' attacking offences in the build-up
    • Direct red cards
    • Cases of mistaken identity where the wrong player is shown a red or yellow card
    The referee can accept the information relayed through his earpiece by the VAR team, an option usually reserved for objective calls of fact, such as if a player is offside.

For more subjective decisions such as red cards and penalty-area fouls, he can review the footage on a pitchside television monitor before deciding whether to change his initial call.

Replays of incidents reviewed by the VAR will be shown on big screens during the World Cup and the crowd will also be told when a decision is being reviewed and why a decision has been reached.

However, the replays will not be shown inside the ground while the referee is making a decision, only afterwards, so the official is not influenced by the crowd