• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

FIFA World Cup 2010- South Africa.

marinermick

Early Chrissy present - airfares booked.

Now hoping for a kind draw so there is not too much internal travel.

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
marinermick said:

Really good to hear that you are going. Will be a wonderful experience. Don't the teams in the same draw (pot) play out of the same facility? Just curious.

Jazzie

Sheer joy at beating the scum :)
Arabmariner said:
Forum Phoenix said:
Mmmmm, I do understand Arab, but I think otherwise.

I see a golden generation of players looking at probably their last world cup... and at the very least a changing of the guard. There is no underestimating the value of heart and fire that will be in the final swan song of this team IMO.

I believe there may well be some magic in the air and no one will walk over us.
You're right FP no one will ever walk over Australia so we'll always be a chance.

I just think this team (basically the same one as in '06) is past it's best and worryingly there seems to be no one pushing hard for a place.

Yes we'll be hard to beat but will we have the bit of flair(or tactics) required to beat a top football nation like the Italians ?

Anyway I'll be very happy if I'm wrong  ;)

Arab, I think there are some fine up and coming players waiting in the wings... it's just Pim is sticking to the tried and true, but you can't fault him for that. This is his big day .... how Aussie history remembers him as a coach of will pretty much depend on how Australia fares. He's been at the reins long enough. Much longer than Guss. Once this WC is done and dusted, I'm looking forward to new faces popping up. Exciting times ahead.

marinermick

Jazzie said:
marinermick said:

Really good to hear that you are going. Will be a wonderful experience. Don't the teams in the same draw (pot) play out of the same facility? Just curious.

no, they are quite spread this time

Arabmariner

How the f**k did South Africa become a seed ?

It couldn't be a dodgy world body maximising the hosts chances of reaching the next round could it ?

Anyway I hope we get them and France  ;)

marinermick

Pots are in:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/02/england-world-cup-seedings

Pot 1 (seeds)

South Africa, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Spain, England, Argentina, Holland.

Pot 2 (Europe)

France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.

Pot 3 (Africa and South America)

Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.

Pot 4 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America)

Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Mexico, Honduras.

marinermick

drool pool:
england
greece
uruguay

wish pool (as per my post above):
south africa
slovenia
algeria/chile

FFC Mariner

Engerlund need to save themselves for a heart breaking QF loss on penalties

My drool pool

Engerlund
France
U R Gay

ryan

Drool Pool: 

England
France
Uruguay

Hoping for:

South Africa
Slovenia
Algeria

Sym

Holland - Proven we can beat them, plus they usually fail in these tournaments
Greece
Algeria or Uruguay

Would be confident of coming out of that group.

Jimmy

Does the host country ever play an "away" match: where they have to wear their away strip?

pjennings

I'm all for an easier group.

S Africa
Slovenia
Paraguay
Australia

Our pot plays the seeds first up. IMO this is a good thing. Many of the better nations start slowly. If we can jag a win against the seeded top team first up - a possibility if we get the right draw, then a win against the weakest team and a draw would see us top the group and probably avoid the seed in the round of 16. Obviously a best-case scenario. It doesn't have to be pretty.

I don't think we would be embarrassed in a 'Group of Death' - we just wouldn't progress - which would be a shame for our World Cup bid. However, it would be better to fail bravely in a 'Group of Death' than to fail badly in an easy group.

marinermick

pjennings said:
Our pot plays the seeds first up.

Incorrect, we are Pot 4 and all Pot 4s play all Pot 3s first. Which means all Pot 1s play Pot 2s - a really weird way of dong it.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/index.html

We do not actually play the seeded team until last so we need to get out of the blocks quickly by probably playing the weakest team in our pool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred