• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Fark Rebecca Wilson - Soccer in a sad, sad state

Bex

Greenpoleffc said:
OK - Rebecca Wilson is an NRL stooge, shit reporter and (judging by the construction of her argument) as dumb as dog shit.

There ya go

Perhaps, but if she is trying to be a shock jock she must have got it right this time; its received plenty of attention and people are still talking about it. The article really doesn't deserve all this attention and its only serving RW that we're still giving it the time of day.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
FROM NOW ON ...I'm gonna read Julia DeMeyrick (four four two)...FARK REBECCA WILSON

Now I dont want to over-inflate anyones ego, but if this is the accepted measure of masculinity, surely the Mariners' current form makes Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman look like teddybears.

Who needs to watch Quantum of Solace when you can witness the strikeforce that is currently at the Mariners' disposal? Big Macca and Matty blasting down the pitch causing havoc to defenders and Sash hassling the keeper like that witty guy in the bar with the secret weapon in his shoe. To watch Mrjda coming off the bench as well is akin to that unexpected special effect that makes you spill popcorn all over yourself. Then theres Caceres: a hole-in-one at St Andrews and next he saves the world.

But thats just the trailer...to see the full, glittering, testosterone-fuelled glory you needed to be there, needed to share the fifteen minutes of nausea I felt before the first goal. And then to feel the absolute satisfaction as the whole night followed the script. The sky was black, the pitch looked tatty and the crowd size was disappointing, but I had the uncanny feeling that I could be watching the best Mariners squad ever.

OK, its a big call, and no disrespect to all the Mariners we have loved and lost, but everything seems to have come together for the team in the past few weeks. At half time, there were life-size cardboard Mariners lining up on the pitch, but there is certainly nothing two-dimensional about the squad that Lawrie currently has at his disposal. A remarkable lack of injuries (even Heff is said to be coming back at last joy!), four in-form strikers who also do a lot of defensive work, and so many players who are blossoming under Lawries guiding hand. The Mariners are playing attacking football and Ms ingenious tactics are proving to be lethal.

Caceres, for one, has been on fire since Lawrie unleashed his potential, Bojic is continually impressive and the Jedi always seems to be in the right place at the right time. And once again, Brad Porter: cool as ice, cutting the yellow wire as the timer ticks down. The Mariners' deadly set pieces so often depend on his precision and focus.

And did I mention the backline? Kept their shape under the unfailing leadership of the ever reliable Wilko, who received possibly the most baffling booking of the season in the 92nd minute. Like the rest of us in yellow, he looked unconcerned. He could already see Friday night looming and not even the evening Breeze could ruffle his confidence.

Its one thing to come from 3-0 down, its quite a different matter to be able to confront expectations of winning and meet them without flinching. They needed a win and got one, decisively. Sure, Adelaide had been through an exhausting schedule, but they certainly didnt lie down and die. (Except for the Og who spent about half an hour getting stitched up. Home viewers saw it all on Foxs dressing room cam. And you thought the undie shots were a bit tasteless!)

The only less positive note to the evening was the lack of spectators, the lowest of the season. Rain, hail or shine, I spend about two hours travelling to see the Mariners on match days. Im not saying that makes me a better fan, but it baffles me why some people who live minutes from Bluetongue would rather watch a dvd or party on with their mates than follow such an exciting sporting contest. You could almost call it un-Australian. In the words of Leyton Hewitt (who was at the match on Saturday): Cmon !!

Teddy Bear

The new Beccy Wilson article that will not be printed after Saturday night  ;)

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Rebecca Wilson

The Kangaroos was comprehensively humiliated by New Zealand in the NRL World Cup this week.

In what can only be described as an embarrassing performance, the carefully constructed masquerade around the NRL was fractured.

Read more on the match here.

The truth is that Australian Rugby League is not up to scratch and only one or two players who represent Australia as Kangaroos are good enough to compete on the international stage.

Scratch the surface of the sport at every level and you come up with a code that is in grave danger of going the same way as basketball did a decade ago.

The NRL has served to make the sport's problems even worse. The NRL is looking at creating more teams at a time when crowds are already thinning.

Creating more NRL teams will dilute the talent even more, annoying fans and ensuring the demise of the entire competition.

The existing sides have barely enough talent to field a good team. The players they do have are decent athletes but they lack the technical ability of players at the same stage of their careers competing internationally.

Australia is widely acknowledged as producing decent players. Those who are great learned from the Kiwis.

Australia has no real League culture. Sure, there are pockets of the country that live and breathe it but it is not systemic. Unlike footlball, rugby league does not have coaching structures in place that ensure the development of good players with finely honed skills.

It is no coincidence that the best Australian players leave here around the age of 23. The likes of Sonny Bill fled to Europe, knowing they would be taught technical skills that simply are not taught by Australian coaches.

Many more players are now doing the same thing, leaving the level down from the NRL seriously depleted and lacking in any real talent.

The young blokes travelling to Europe rarely return as fully fledged seniors to the NRL. Only a handful of players in the domestic competition learned their trade.  They are home-grown and home-coached, which is why their skills are seriously lacking.

The capitulation by Australia against New Zealand showed us just how far behind the rest of the world the NRL clubs are. The sport must surely realise there are gaping holes in League coaching and management that must be addressed.

Switch from an NRL game over to world cup one and the contrasts could not be more marked. The game played everywhere else is fast and skilful. The NRL version is stodgy and slow.

One of the most sobering facts is that Australia has never had higher participation rates at junior level. There are just as many NRL players here as there are in the Netherlands.

The reality is that, while the Kiwis produce dozens of stars year after year, very few young Australian blokes emerge from local competitions as star players.

The NRL is the only winter football code in Australia. While it may have been a good idea to move it away from the more competitive summer market, crowd figures must surely be telling the sport's bosses that something is wrong.

Either the game does surgery on itself here or RL faces a future that is very bleak indeed. Once this crop of not so talented Kangaroos retires, the next lot down don't look too flash.

The juggernaut that threatened to come from the last World Cup campaign has failed to materialise. Rugby League is in crisis and the Kangaroos horrendous loss  at the weekend proved once and for all that something has to be done to fix it.

midfielder

A new RW article from 442 there are differences between the two

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/blogs.aspx?CIaBID=21

On The Couch
By Kevin Airs FourFourTwo
The Panel

FourFourTwo's Online Editor Kevin Airs has a couch, TV and a remote. He watches so much football we suspect he is as superhuman as he insists. He sleeps strange hours too...

League in a sad, sad state
23 November 2008 01:49
By Kevin Airs

Hi Rebecca...thanks for the inspiration.

Australia was comprehensively humiliated by New Zealand in the Rugby League World Cup this weekend.

In what can only be described as an embarrassing performance, the carefully constructed masquerade around rugby league was fractured.

The truth is that Australian rugby league is not up to scratch and not even those dozen or so players who represent Australia are good enough to compete on the international stage.

Scratch the surface of the sport at every level and you come up with a code that is in grave danger of going the same way as basketball did a decade ago.

The NRL has served to make the sport's problems even worse. The NRL have created more teams at a time when crowds are already thinning and they are looking to add even more.

Creating more teams will dilute the talent even more, annoying fans and ensuring the demise of the entire competition.

The existing sides have barely enough talent to field a good team.

Australia as a whole has no real league culture. Sure, there are pockets of the country that live and breathe it but it is not systemic. Unlike football, league does not have nationwide coaching structures in place that ensure the development of good players with finely honed skills.

It is no coincidence that the best Australian players leave the country and/or the code. The likes of Lote Tuqiri and Wendell Sailor fled to Union, knowing they would be taught technical skills that simply are not taught by league coaches.

Many more like Sonny Bill Williams are now not only switching to Union, but moving to Europe, leaving the NRL seriously depleted and lacking in any real talent.

One father I spoke to during the week will travel with his 16-year-old son to face a rape trial after following the example of some of his league idols.

His risk-taking style of foreplay was just what the selectors wanted in a young league star, he thought. These blokes obviously have no idea.

Eleven men and one woman are now on jury service to select him from amateur home video of his off-field prowess. They can't all be wrong.

Those young blokes travelling to Europe rarely return to the NRL. Only a handful of players in the domestic competition learned their trade overseas. They are home-grown and home-coached, which is why their skills are seriously lacking.

The capitulation by Australia against New Zealand showed us just how far behind the rest of the world the NRL clubs are. The sport must surely realise there are gaping holes in League coaching and management that must be addressed.

Switch from an NRL game over to any other code and the contrasts could not be more marked. The game played everywhere else is fast and skilful. By contrast, NRL reporters and commentators are stodgy and slow.

The reality is that, while the other sports produce dozens of international stars year after year, very few young Australian blokes emerge from local league competitions as international star players.

The NRL is not the only winter football code in Australia and it may be a good idea to move it, as crowd figures must surely be telling the sport's bosses that something is wrong.

Either the game does surgery on itself here or league faces a future that is very bleak indeed. This crop of Kangaroos don't look too flash.

The juggernaut that threatened to come from the last World Cup campaign has failed to materialise. League is in crisis and Australia's horrendous loss proved once and for all that something has to be done to fix it.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
I emailed the malodius crap that Wilson produced to a mate of mine near Walsall who is on my ning site, in old Blighty...here is his response.....

In my humble opinion this strikes me as an attempt to push asides any idea of " THE BEAUTIFUL GAME " overtaking many more established Aussie sports in popularity .I am no expert in this ,but i thought it only right to offer my ideas on the article ....

midfielder

She is back ... very sad, has no idea what she is talking about ...Hmmmmmmm do we reply like last time and bombard her with emails and comments on her vile or just ignore her .. what a way to earn a living no research nothing but random selective old quotes.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24790948-5017479,00.html

THE Federal Government this week saw fit to give Australian soccer a whopping $45million to fund its bid for the 2018 World Cup.

A beaming Federal Sport Minister, Kate Ellis, cosied up to soccer chief Frank Lowy for a photo opportunity. She was looking very pleased with herself, as was Lowy, and must have been extremely happy with the media coverage of the announcement.

Not a single soccer or sports journalist in this country asked either Ellis or Lowy for a precise breakdown on how the money would be spent.

Arabmariner

midfielder said:
She is back ... very sad, has no idea what she is talking about ...Hmmmmmmm do we reply like last time and bombard her with emails and comments on her vile or just ignore her .. what a way to earn a living no research nothing but random selective old quotes.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24790948-5017479,00.html

THE Federal Government this week saw fit to give Australian soccer a whopping $45million to fund its bid for the 2018 World Cup.

A beaming Federal Sport Minister, Kate Ellis, cosied up to soccer chief Frank Lowy for a photo opportunity. She was looking very pleased with herself, as was Lowy, and must have been extremely happy with the media coverage of the announcement.

Not a single soccer or sports journalist in this country asked either Ellis or Lowy for a precise breakdown on how the money would be spent.
Just a sad old woman with f**k all better to do.

And no doubt if we do get the world cup she'll get free tickets at the expense of a real fan.

Bear

lol what a muppet

She should learn to keep her mouth shut, or someone should shut it for her, hopefully her bosses by giving her the sack

mariners4ever

Bearinator said:
lol what a muppet

She should learn to keep her mouth shut, or someone should shut it for her, hopefully her bosses by giving her the sack

lol, the telegraph won't sack her, the guy who the article the other day who is from the coast is probably more likely to get the sack

FFC Mariner

mariners4ever said:
Bearinator said:
lol what a muppet

lol, the telegraph won't sack her, the guy who the article the other day who is from the coast is probably more likely to get the sack

I imagine her wild eyed, in the middle of a panic attack, madly typing away as she senses the demise of NRL. Muttering to herself as her opportunities to be spitted by drunken knuckledraggers in public toilets lessen as her game dies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred