• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Fark Rebecca Wilson - Soccer in a sad, sad state

midfielder

Rebecca Wilson famed Terrograph reporter writes crap at times.  But Fark me talk about can you smell the fear ......That AU did not beat Japan ...... and our crowds are down ....... I foolishly tho we where past this kinda of crap from RL jurno's.

I will sent an email to the sports editor and will never buy a Terrorgraph again

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24651219-5001023,00.html

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Rebecca Wilson

November 15, 2008 12:00am

ADELAIDE United FC was comprehensively humiliated by Japanese club Gamba Osaka in the Asian Champions League this week.

In what can only be described as an embarrassing performance, the carefully constructed masquerade around the A-League was fractured.

Read more on the match here.

The truth is that Australian soccer is not up to scratch and only those dozen or so players who represent Australia as Socceroos are good enough to compete on the international stage.

Scratch the surface of the sport at every level and you come up with a code that is in grave danger of going the same way as basketball did a decade ago.

The A-League has served to make the sport's problems even worse. Football Federation Australia is looking at creating more teams at a time when crowds are already thinning.

Creating more A-League teams will dilute the talent even more, annoying fans and ensuring the demise of the entire competition.

The existing sides have barely enough talent to field a good team. The players they do have are decent athletes but they lack the technical ability of players at the same stage of their careers competing internationally.

Australia is widely acknowledged as producing decent defenders and goalkeepers. Those who are great strikers or attacking players learned how to play in Europe or England.

Australia has no real soccer culture. Sure, there are pockets of the country that live and breathe it but it is not systemic. Unlike rugby league or AFL, soccer does not have coaching structures in place that ensure the development of good players with finely honed skills.

It is no coincidence that the best Australian players leave here around the age of 16. The likes of Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell fled to Europe as teenagers, knowing they would be taught technical skills that simply are not taught by Australian coaches.

Many more teenagers are now doing the same thing, leaving the level down from the A-League seriously depleted and lacking in any real talent.

One father I spoke to during the week will travel with his immensely talented 16-year-old to trial with a leading German club next month. The same boy missed selection in his own state team, deemed "unsuitable" for selection at that level.

He was told his risk-taking style of play was not what the selectors wanted in a young soccer team. These blokes obviously have no idea that these are the players who are most sought after in Europe for precisely that reason.

Eleven European clubs are vying for the kid's services, selecting him from amateur home video of his on-field prowess. They can't all be wrong.

Those young blokes travelling to Europe rarely return as fully fledged seniors to the A-League. Only a handful of players in the domestic competition learned their trade overseas. They are home-grown and home-coached, which is why their skills are seriously lacking.

The capitulation by Adelaide against Japan showed us just how far behind the rest of the world the A-League clubs are. The sport must surely realise there are gaping holes in soccer coaching and management that must be addressed.

Switch from an A-League game over to an Asian one and the contrasts could not be more marked. The game played everywhere else is fast and skilful. The A-League version is stodgy and slow.

One of the most sobering facts is that Australia has never had higher participation rates at junior level. There are just as many soccer players here as there are in the Netherlands.

The reality is that, while the Dutch produce dozens of stars year after year, very few young Australian blokes emerge from local competitions as star players.

The A-League is the only summer football code in Australia. While it may have been a good idea to move it away from the more competitive winter market, crowd figures must surely be telling the sport's bosses that something is wrong.

Either the game does surgery on itself here or soccer faces a future that is very bleak indeed. Once this crop of talented Socceroos retires, the next lot down don't look too flash.

In recent years, the Joeys have gone from being in the top four junior sides in the world to not even making the top 20. These are the players that soccer bosses reckon can fly the flag for Australia in the future.

The juggernaut that threatened to come from the last World Cup campaign has failed to materialise. Soccer is in crisis and Adelaide United's horrendous two losses in recent weeks proved once and for all that something has to be done to fix it.

bjw

bjw
I missed the part where Adelaide were supposed to win the ACL title?? Is beating out every other Asian team to get there simply not good enough?

Also, running out of quality players? We have the highest number of people playing football, more than NRL, AFL combined.

we also have a NYL which is bringing alot of new talent into the Australian game..

dont know what she is on about.

Bear

Read it in the paper

Stupid cow has no f**king idea, wake up you one eyed maggot

T

I wonder what she will say if Aus lose any of the supposed world cup games??? "Oh but they beat all these other teams" Blah blah blah

Double standards is her game. RL numbers are dwindling too

Jorome Alexander Bennett

This article reminds me of Lord Kelvin, infamous for making predictions that are later proven false.

The difference is that if Wilson thinks about football's position now and in the near future she would surely see that it is inevitable that it becomes even more popular. ACL, Asian Cup, World Cup, Socceroos, Jedinak, Youth League, Women's League. Football's position is so different from that of basketball in the 90s.

We have huge junior participation and huge following of the national team. In time all the areas in between will become stronger. It can't be helped. She is the worst futuroligist of all time; past, present and future.

LORD KELVIN

Like many scientists, he did make some mistakes in predicting the future of technology.

In 1895, Lord Kelvin declared that "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." This was to be proven spectacularly incorrect in the following decade.

Circa 1896, Lord Kelvin was initially skeptical of X-rays, and regarded their announcement as a hoax. However, this was before he saw Rntgen's evidence, after which he accepted the idea, and even had his own hand X-rayed in May of 1896.

In 1897, he predicted that "Radio has no future;" while the popularity of radio did not appear in his lifetime (it was not until the 1920s and 30s that it attained any degree of popularity), the statement was nevertheless proven false.

In 1900, Lord Kelvin famously stated, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

In 2008, Wilson stated "Sokka has no future." She's a twat.

Mariner Girl

Just read this in the Terrorgraph. This "article" has also be published in the Adelaide Advertiser and is on the Adelaide Reds forum. They are having a field day with this f**king imbocile too.

Rebecca Wilson has a history of attacking other football codes without doing any sort of research. At no stage in her article does she mention the Youth League and that we have just qualified for the Youth World Cup.

She is a total embarrassment to women who are in sport journalism. I would love Mel McLaughlin to challenge this f*ckwit to a debate about FOOTBALL (not SOCCER) in this country.

As for her disgraceful attack on Adelaide's efforts in the ACL final, Gamba Osaka would have beaten ANY team in Asia in that final. We all know that the A-League is behind the J-League but we have only been going for 4 years. Adelaide beat teams from China, Japan, Vietnam, Korea and Usbekistan to get to the final, so the
A-League is stacking up very well against other leagues in general terms.

I am sure if Adelaide would have won the ACL, this article would not have seen the light of day - or she would have been singing our praises and carrying on about hwo far we have come.

She is nothing short of a hypocrite, who does not get her facts right, time and time again.
:fireup: :fireup: :vomit: :vomit:

Razorback

I would not piss on this bitch if she was on fire. I actually read her column quite regulary and it is only for shits and giggles. At the risk of sounding like a male chauvinist pig (which I am), this writer proves that women have no right commenting on sport of any kind unless is womens golf, basketball, swimming, netball or football (all bore the shit out of me!!! Coincidence?). She has no perspective or any idea what so ever hence Sterlo and the rest of the footy show lads cracking the shits when Eddie said put her on!

Why didn't she write about how much of a joke the RL world cup is. How the National Team can't fill the SFS (42000 pax) or Energy Australia Stadium (27000) in last years Anzac Test. Instead of the quality of competition in Football. Write about South American players who also go to Europe. 

Whats frustrating is the Sports Editor who says yes lets print this garbage!  Stupid Silly publication lead by morons but its fun to read.

dru

Oh noes Adelaide lost to the team that went undefeated through the whole comp and scored at least one goal in every match.

Shock horror there is a sport that Australians aren't number 1 in, this is a good thing we don't have a birth right to win every sport.

Hasn't she in the past described herself as a soccer(sic) mum? you would hate to think what she would cop on the suburban pitches.

tbf though the point about improving coaching/managing is valid but that will come in time with increased exposure to asia. Maybe just Maybe our current situation comes from the woeful position of being top dogs in oceania for so many years. two professional countries and we were supposed to be the top of the world.

FFC Mariner

I wouldnt wipe my arse with one of Uncle Ruperts papers on moral grounds (Hillsborough anyone?) and wouldn't touch the Tele because it is simply a shit paper.

I quite like these articles TBH, you can smell the silly slags fear and she is just pandering to her RL community. This is what they want to believe.

Let them and then one day in a few years time, these fools will wake up and realise that they lost the "war" in November 05

Mariner Girl

Anyone got time to mock up a quick sign for tonights game
"F*ck off Rebecca Wilson"  :fireup:

I can't do it - getting my hair done for the occasion then drive up the F3..  :-*

Rowdy

dru said:
Hasn't she in the past described herself as a soccer(sic) mum? you would hate to think what she would cop on the suburban pitches.

Not soccer, fcuking Neanderthal Rugby League. The poshy Paddington Tigers JRLC

http://www.entertainoz.com.au/speakers.cfm?oid=15187&t=/speakers/Sport/Rebecca-Wilson-

As for one who with "acerbic wit and her willingness to expose gibberers, as well as a passion and knowledge of all things sporting."

Must be hard waking up and seeing a 'gibberer' staring straight back at you in the mirror each morning.

As for being an amatuer boxer, someone should punch her in her 'ring' for a few rounds.

trev

i have writen in an opinion about it on the telegraph i went over the 1200 charater mark on how much she couldn't be further than the truth

Bex

The article couldn't be more one-eyed if she tried. She is only looking for a reaction from readers - agreement from NRL/AFL/etc fans and outrage from football fans.

From www.dictionary.com
journalism [jur-nl-iz-uhm]

1. the occupation of reporting, writing, editing, photographing, or broadcasting news or of conducting any news organization as a business.
2. press 1 (def. 31). 
3. a course of study preparing students for careers in reporting, writing, and editing for newspapers and magazines.
4. writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism. 

Teddy Bear

midfielder said:
The A-League has served to make the sport's problems even worse. Football Federation Australia is looking at creating more teams at a time when crowds are already thinning.

Creating more A-League teams will dilute the talent even more, annoying fans and ensuring the demise of the entire competition.

Yes thats right love, Frank Lowy has no idea what he is doing and doesnt have a clue how to make a business work.  :headbutt:

Ranyen

I hope she gets hit by a car. Or better, a bus full of A-League supporters. Not us though, then we will have to deal with the Insurance company.

I would like to know other teams supporters view on this.

We should all submit a negative comment on her article, normally I wouldn't bother, but she has just dumped s**t on something that I'm actually passionate about!

Bex

Not worth the effort Ranyen. TBH, hits on the article will probably reflect well upon her in her bosses eyes.

Jerem

shit for brains!!!
i reckon the A league has done all it can to A) promote pretty decent football
in oz and B) to capitalise on Germany 06, F*** er, as nackered as i am, im yelling loud as tonight!!!
come on YELLOW!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred