• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

danny unlikely for olympics after fifa overturned decision

fedelta

Foriegnmariner said:
Is there any possible way this ban could of been A-League only in the first place?
Is that possible/legal?

If so, Danny could of got an 8 week ban and would of saved FIFA/FFA/CCM alot of time, hassle and money.

Even if the FFA tried to deal with it all itself, I'm sure FIFA would have intervened.
It would probably caused a bit of controversy at the Olympics if Danny had only been banned from A-League matches..this would make the FFA look bad..
FIFA, FFA  :redcard:

Ziggy

Bugger - but who cares, Danny will go on to bigger and brighter things anyway.
Love you Danny boy. Damn FIFA should have said something earlier and not f#$*ed him around. (Given the draw maybe its better hes not going)

skilbeck

Andy said:
Am I the only person that finds it hilarious that both Scum and Sydney fans are happy about this decision even though it doesn't benefit them in anyway. Expecially since it actually disadvantages them because he will play against them in the first two rounds.

no your not, i thought we put australia before club rivalries when the national team plays and you would think Newcastle and Sydney fans would want the 11 out there that would maximise australias chances for a medal but i guess not

marinermick

Andy said:
Am I the only person that finds it hilarious that both Scum and Sydney fans are happy about this decision even though it doesn't benefit them in anyway. Expecially since it actually disadvantages them because he will play against them in the first two rounds.

it is actually funnier that the biggest moron on the scum forum actually pulled some of them in line by saying "why gloat when we have lost our best goalkeeper for the olympics"

[cue jaza with his shite about federici and bouzanis being better keepers]

Deej

Another appeal :

Mariners to appeal FIFA decision

The Central Coast Mariners have today announced that they will appeal the decision by FIFA to suspend Danny Vukovic from competing for a place at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

On Tuesday, the Mariners received advice from FIFA that the recommended sanctions of an independent appeals committee regarding the suspension of Vukovic had been increased, with FIFA imposing a further sanction making Vukovic ineligible for selection for the 2008 Olympic Games.

Vukovic was initially handed a fifteen month ban with six months suspended by the Hyundai A-League independent match review panel as a result of an incident that occurred between Vukovic and referee Mark Shield at the 2008 Hyundai A-League Grand Final.

In late April, an independent appeals committee reviewed this decision and announced that it had amended Vukovics suspension to include a window between 24 June, 2008 and 29 August 2008 for Vukovic to prepare and compete for a place at the 2008 Olympic Games.

However, Tuesdays advice from FIFA stated that Vukovic will be suspended from all levels of football between 25 February, 2008 until 25 January, 2009, with part of the suspension (between 6 October, 2008 and 25 January, 2009) suspended and only to be implemented should Vukovic re-offend within one year of his return.

"We have carefully considered the FIFA decision and we have respect for the process and for FIFAs role in this situation, however, FIFAs powers are confined by a detailed series or rules and regulations and in this case we consider that FIFA exceeded their power in ruling as they have," said Mariners Executive Chairman Lyall Gorman.

"It is important to note that this stage of the appeal is not about the incident that occurred at the Hyundai A-League Grand Final. It is a narrow and discrete legal issue as to whether, according to the powers given to FIFA by their relevant rules and regulations, they have the power to do what they have purported to do.

"This decision to appeal has been taken carefully. The Mariners consider that it is in the best interests of our player and we are entirely comfortable that this is an entirely appropriate action to take, and that the appeal has merit.

"We have great respect for the process, as we have throughout this whole ordeal, and the club wont be making further comment until that appeal process runs its course.

"As this is now purely a legal argument, we also ask that media respect Dannys privacy, he having been on a rollercoaster of emotions as you would appreciate."

Ends

Jeff (LouMacari)

Disagree Dibo, I don't think the Mariners would have appealed unless they thought there was a good chance of winning. time will tell, but must be a hell of an emotional ride for young Danny.

graaant

I think this really needs to be put to bed now.
Danny has shown great maturity in the face of all this, even after having it taken away again.
As much as I'd love to see Danny playing and apart from his mistake, he deserves it.

But the timing, it's so close, I cannot see another appeal and process doing any good, for the Mariners, for Danny, even for the Olyroos.
How long can it go on for?

Paolo

marconigirl said:
I heard this on the news yesterday and it completely ruined my birthday.. :(
Worst birthday present ever...
could have been much worse presents imho

bikinigirl

. deej's post says that the advice from fifa on tuesday was that danny is suspended from 'all levels of football' until 6/10/08 - this is different to what was being reported the other day!

Kareem

Andy said:
Kareem said:
FIFA did 100% right...and I thought they might step in because it was absolutely ludicrous (the gap inbetween the ban).
FFA are to blame....
On the topic of why Griffiths case wasnt examined by Fifa was that there was no case...they was no judicary and no punishment- hence FIFA didnt have the oppurtunity to do anything about it...

Can someone please tell me why FFA couldnt have given a 'x' matches suspension in HAL??? I thought that was the standard punishment in other leagues...if it was macthes instead of months it would have been more logical and sensible!

There was a judicial system in place at the time.

The reason it oculdn't have been dealt with is because the c*nt had been yellow carded by the referee, meaning his punishment had been dealt and FFA couldn't intervene. It sucks, but the rules are rules.
i was saying there was no judiciary hearing! Hence FIFA cant make one up- and hence cant interfere- if there was a hearing then maybe they could have???

Kareem

graaant said:
El Kareemo, thanks for reinforcing your knowledge for us all. But you should also know that FIFA did not change any sentence, regardless of whether or not it was matches, or dates.
FIFA came in and said "Buckley, you're a dick, this gap is stupid" and reinstated the original 12 MONTH ban.
And that's that.
I didnt say they changed the sentence???
I said FIFA came in because of the gap...
I then said FFA should ahve made it a match specific ban- maybe u thought i wrote FIFA?

thomas477

Article from 442.

Gary Anxious For Crime Consistency

Copyright Getty Images

Jon Ritson
Jun 11 2008 23:27
Get more on: vanegmond | griffiths | vukovic | jets
EXCLUSIVE: Gary van Egmond is anxious for the FFA to implement disciplinary measures which would have ruined Joel Griffiths' memorable campaign had they been in place last season.
The Newcastle Jets coach today expressed sympathy for Central Coast Mariners keeper Danny Vukovic who has seen his Beijing dreams shattered by FIFA's international ban.

In contrast Joel Griffiths' so-called sack whack on an assistant referee last season earned him nothing more than a yellow card and didn't prevent him being voted player of the season by his peers.

Van Egmond can understand the arguments of those who point to the vastly differing punishments meted out to Vukovic and Griffiths and wants a system that simply offers consistency.

He told au.fourfourtwo.com: "It has been a very difficult rollercoaster for Danny I'm sure. He has seen the Olympics taken away, then handed back and now taken away again. You wouldn't wish that on anybody."

Van Egmond was part of the Australian Olympic side in Seoul in 1988 so knows just what it's like to be part of a massive event. However, he said: "At the end of the day FIFA is the top dog here and maybe they wanted all the information possible before making a decision."

The Newcastle coach says the bottom line has to be that officials must be respected and you simply cannot touch them.

He said: "Consistency is what we want to see, a system that people can see is consistent. As it stands you can go back and look at an incident where a player hasn't been yellow carded and issue a later, stronger punishment. It happened to us at Newcastle with Jade North and he missed the preliminary final.

"In the case of Joel Griffiths there was no way to look again because of the yellow card handed to him. I believe the FFA are looking at decisions and whether things can be overridden in certain cases. Call it trial by video, whatever you like.

"I think it would be a real positive for sure. You cannot have a situation where players are in the situation that Joel was. It leaves a poor taste and there's no place for that kind of behaviour. He knows that.

"So if there is a way to say that an incident is worth more than the yellow card dished out that the time, then yes, why shouldn't there be a more fitting punishment?

"But I go back to what I said, they key to its success is consistency. That's the crucial thing."

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/78074,gary-anxious-for-crime-consistency.aspx

Arabmariner

I think it's time to accept this decision whether you agree or not.Danny would appear to be over it and ready to move on.Even if they win this appeal it's probably f**ked with his mind that much he won't be properly prepared for the Olympics anyway.
Send him over to train with Sheff Utd for a while to get him refocused.
It must be becoming a pain for the Olympic team as well.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

jaypee said:
The real villain is Shields who lost it completely and sent him off for what Milligan was allowed to get away with.

Greenpole - Shields didn't make Danny hit him (ok maybe he did but......)
Fact is Danny hit him and if anyone on here believes Danny should have got of Scot free then we open up pandoras box.
[/quote]

No but Greenpole does have a point that Shield - AND the corrupt, spineless FFA - both letting Milligan off for a worse attack (IMO, what he did was far more aggressive) is completely unforgivable. 

But this is the usual inconsistency one would expect from our alleged best referee (if he's our best, and I'm nowhere near HAL standard, then f**k me I must be a shit ref), and the usual inconsistent and unjustifiable double standards one would expect from the FFA.

It's all shit - but let's be realistic, the suspension should never had been split in the first place.

Let's bear in mind that Danny is still receiving less than 12 months suspension - despite a mandatory 12 months (yeah, I know, 6 months suspended, but I think it's pretty safe to assume he's not going to hit a ref again, so those 6 months are immaterial) - so on that note he's lucky.  Unlucky that the FFA - and Mark Shield - have chosen to allow referee assaults up until this point and only decided to make an issue out of it now though.

Alicia

Vukovic can play in Australia

BY MERRYN SHERWOOD AND PAUL NEWMAN
27/06/2008 7:07:00 AM

He's been banned from the Olympics for striking a referee, but Central Coast Mariners goalkeeper Danny Vukovic is clear to play against the ACT Rockets at Deakin tonight.

Vukovic is awaiting the outcome of an appeal against world governing body FIFA's decision to overrule Football Federation Australia's unique punishment that allowed the keeper to play at the Olympics before resuming his suspension on August29.

In the meantime the Mariners yesterday received confirmation from the FFA that Vukovic was free to play in Australia during the suspension-free window from June25 to August 28.

It means he could have resumed playing in Wednesday night's match against Belconnen and is eligible to play in the first two rounds of the A-League in August.

Mariners coach Lawrie McKinna said he was unlikely to play Vukovic tonight at Deakin and would stick with back-up keeper Andrew Redmayne.

But McKinna said Vukovic was likely to take to the field when the Mariners clash with grand final opponent Newcastle at Canberra Stadium on July 12.

''It's good news, but we have to look at what might happen down the track rather than just looking after Danny,'' McKinna said.

''We will try and share games now to try and get Redmayne up to speed, so we'll just go week by week.''

Having not played for four months, Vukovic said he couldn't wait to take to the field, but expected a backlash from other clubs.

''If I am able to play I'm sure there will be an uproar,'' Vukovic said.

''I got sent off in the grand final and now I'll be able to play the first two games of the A-League. It is quite stupid how it has worked out, but if I'm given the opportunity to play I'm going to take it.''

Vukovic said he was anxious to get a response to the 87-page appeal document that was sent to FIFA 10 days ago.

''Everyone I have spoken to thinks FIFA has overstepped the mark,'' he said. ''FFA agree and my lawyers and the PFA [Professional Footballers Association]. I'm anxious to get a response back quickly because Arnie [Olyroos coach Graham Arnold] is naming his Olympic squad in the next week or two.

''If I'm cleared to play I'd like to think I would still be picked but I'm not getting my hopes up that FIFA will back down.''

There have been several twists following the send-off of Vukovic in the A-League grand final in February for striking the arm of referee Mark Shield.

The FFA originally suspended Vukovic for 15 months.

After his first appeal failed, a later appeal succeeded in allowing Vukovic a two-month gap to play at this year's Olympic Games. FIFA officials then stepped in this month and banned him from playing in international matches before October 6.

Yesterday a spokeswoman for the FFA said Vukovic was clear to resume playing, saying the ban ''counted only for any international games, so he can play in domestic league games''.

TONIGHT

ACT Rockets v Central Coast Mariners, Deakin Stadium, Grose St, Deakin. Kick-off 7pm. Curtain Raiser: Young Rockets v ACTAS at 5pm. Tickets available through Capital Football, Belconnen Soccer Club and at gate. Adult: $10, Concession: $5, Under-12: Free

finally retired

what a laugh.....while I'm happy for Danny, the whole thing is so stupid.  Can't wait to see what Sydney and Jets forums say once they see the news  :piralaugh:

Lawrie's comment is interesting....'It's good news, but we have to look at what might happen down the track rather than just looking after Danny,'' McKinna said. ''We will try and share games now to try and get Redmayne up to speed, so we'll just go week by week.'......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred