• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Daily Telegraph anti-football

serious14

Lifted from the Melbourne forum, something from a few years ago (but reads as surprisingly relevant) - biased personal agenda's, uncredited sources, Rothfield and Wilson..... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/write-and-wrong/2005/10/08/1128563035072.html

By Phil Gould
October 9, 2005

Now the football is over, I'll respond to the rubbish reported about me lately.

Columnists such as Phil Rothfield, Rebecca Wilson and radio's Ray Hadley seem to have an obsession with discrediting me.

Their obsession is boring the pants off everybody.

I think Rothfield and Wilson place agendas and personal grievances above readers' needs for informative, accurate and unbiased reporting.

Rothfield has sledged me for more than a decade. His bitterness towards me has overtaken common sense and accuracy where my name is concerned. He is constantly wrong about me but that doesn't stop him backing up for another go. He has never contacted me to verify a story. He once sent me an abusive email. My email response must have hit the mark because he's never written to me again. These days he's just spitting into the wind. Every time he opens his mouth about me it blows right back in his face.

As for Rebecca Wilson?

Ha, ha, ha. Sorry. I can't even say her name without laughing. She must be trying to emulate Rothfield because her gossip column bears a striking resemblance to his style.

Despite constantly writing about me over the years, she has never had the courage to contact me to verify a story. Her stories about me have been inaccurate, exaggerated, embellished and misrepresentative. As far as I am concerned, it has been a vindictive, deliberate and sustained campaign.

It's all become so boring and her credibility has suffered so much that she must be close to giving it away and allowing someone else to write that gossip column.

And Ray Hadley? He often delivers vindictive attacks on individuals, sometimes targeting their very livelihood. Don't take my word for it. Ask people such as Brian Smith, Paul Vautin, Peter Sterling, John Gibbs and Andrew Voss. He, too, has never had the courage to phone me to verify a story before shooting off his mouth. I wonder why?

Like Rothfield, Hadley is extremely thin-skinned. They dish it out but can't take it.

Recently this troika has targeted my role at the Roosters. They are up in arms that I didn't attend a couple of club functions. So what? What's it got to do with them anyway? By saying I didn't turn up they are suggesting I was expected to attend these occasions but didn't show. That's totally incorrect.

For the record: I've attended less than a handful of club functions in the past six years. I also don't attend Dally M awards, season launches, grand final breakfasts, book launches and cocktail parties. I gave up going to these dos when I retired from coaching six years ago.

They also thought they had a big story when they heard I was invited to talk to Dragons players at a dinner before their final against Wests Tigers. So bloody what? I'm invited to talk to many sporting bodies, teams, clubs, junior leagues, business seminars, individuals and charities. I do as many as I can.

Newcastle's Paul Harragon spoke to the Tigers. Gorden Tallis and Mark Geyer spoke to the Cowboys.

Footballers like to help each other. Rugby league is not like the media where people like Rothfield, Wilson and Hadley attack those who work for rival media organisations just for the sake of it. How childish is that?

For the record: I declined the Dragons dinner invitation. I have never addressed the Dragons coaches. I did agree to deliver a short talk to the players. It had nothing to do with coaching, tactics, game plans or Wests Tigers. I asked Nathan Brown what message he wanted emphasised and that was the message I delivered. He was spot on, too. I spoke for 10 minutes and left. End of story. Anyone suggesting different is a liar.

Their other scintillating story is that I've supposedly had a stink with Roosters coach Ricky Stuart. They say the Roosters are in crisis. Yeah right! This is a total misrepresentation. Our club and the Roosters fans do not deserve this rubbish.

For the record: I've never had a stink with anyone at the Roosters, let alone Ricky Stuart. Ricky and I are mates. He's a great coach. We argue and bag one another every day about football matters and have done since we met 13 years ago; but we enjoy it. It's healthy to have a difference of opinion.

Over the past two years I have backed right away from dealing with the players on a day-to-day basis because Ricky and the other coaches do such a great job. Ricky does not need anyone looking over his shoulder to coach a football team. He earned his autonomy years ago. These days I'm just a sounding-board for his ideas or anything else he wants to discuss.

The decision by Roosters chairman Nick Politis to introduce a new coaching system at the club four years ago has delivered great results.

For the record; Ricky Stuart and Nick Politis are the reason for our club's unprecedented recent success.

The Roosters have played in three grand finals. We won a first-grade premiership, World Club Challenge and three lower-grade premierships. Last year we played in all three games on grand final day, winning two and coming within three points of winning the third. Last year's premier league coach Ivan Cleary has been appointed Warriors head coach. Assistant coach John Cartwright is to be head coach of the Gold Coast Titans. Our premier league coach, Shane Flanagan, is ready to coach first grade.

The Roosters coaching staff also assisted me in a three-year undefeated tenure as NSW State of Origin coach. Ricky Stuart is now the successful NSW coach and will be the next coach of Australia. I'd call that pretty successful.

For the record: I love the Roosters. Even if I leave them, and that day hasn't come yet, Nick Politis knows I will never work for another football club. I guaranteed him that a long time ago. I am committed to him for life. Nick, Ricky and I are great friends. The media will never come between us. Rothfield, Wilson and Hadley can choke on that!

Sorry for this short break in transmission. My normal service will resume next week.

FFC Mariner

A tatty, poorly written, agenda driven rag just like all the rest of Ruperts papers.

Ignore it and (if you have the ability) starve it of revenue.

These people thrive on the "debate" igonre them and they will go away

Jorome Alexander Bennett

marinersman said:
Obviously the space we will throw at it will be determined by advertising support.

The Sydney Morning Herald throws a lot of space at rugby union because they get a lot of money from rugby advertising, we give rugby league plenty of space because we get a lot of money from rugby league advertising. If we get the same level of support during the World Cup we'll do the same with soccer.

I suppose it is pragmatic to have content dependant on advertising, but so far from ideal. It stupifies me that he would admit that his news outlet reports only that which advertisers want. If it was me I would try to maintain a facade of journalistic merit.

serious14

FFC Mariner said:
Journalistic merit and News Ltd.

Massive LOL

fry-see-what-you-did-there1.jpg

midfielder

My previous post said I believed that this as all about News sending a blunt message about wanting a equal if not better share of FFA revenue and access to players... which in the weeks leading up the Bahrain match to me was greater in smh than in the TerrOR.

Spoke to a non sporting mate this morning who said he through I may be on to something ... he said it is expected by both SMH & the TerrOR that in the medium distance only one will survive ... and News will do everything it can to be that last man standing.. Newspapers are under enormous pressure to remain profitable ... so this all may be about as I said before News saying to FFA treat us as an equal to Fairfax otherwise these articles will keep coming...

northernspirit

midfielder said:
My previous post said I believed that this as all about News sending a blunt message about wanting a equal if not better share of FFA revenue and access to players... which in the weeks leading up the Bahrain match to me was greater in smh than in the TerrOR.

Spoke to a non sporting mate this morning who said he through I may be on to something ... he said it is expected by both SMH & the TerrOR that in the medium distance only one will survive ... and News will do everything it can to be that last man standing.. Newspapers are under enormous pressure to remain profitable ... so this all may be about as I said before News saying to FFA treat us as an equal to Fairfax otherwise these articles will keep coming...
i think youll find fairfax is in a muchmore vunerable position than news limited

midfielder

northernspirit said:
midfielder said:

i think youll find fairfax is in a muchmore vunerable position than news limited

Spot on about about Fairfax V News ... but that News and the TerrOR in Sydney do not want the smh to have any slight advantage over the TerrOR is beyond question..

So if my logic is correct you will see FFA have the same size adds in both the TerrOR and the smh and News in general will get access to players and good news articles will appear in the TerrOR about football... the proof will be after the NRL season but before Christmas the whore will write a great good news story about Football.

serious14

Mirrored onto Fox Sports for some reason..... from Ray Gatt (a League journo, surprise surprise) at the Australian.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25669509-5014539,00.html

Fallout from Tim Cahill incident tarnishes new era for Socceroos

June 22, 2009

Since Frank Lowy took the reins of a game in ruins some six years ago, it has been largely smooth sailing for Australian soccer.

A revitalised, exciting new club competition - the A-League - was introduced, Australia won acceptance in to Asia, qualified for the 2006 and 2010 World Cup finals and launched a bid to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup - it is an impressive list of achievements that has opened the eyes of the public in this country to the power of the world game.

There have been a few minor hiccups along the way, but nothing that even remotely compares to the dark days pre-Lowy.

However, the new era appeared to lose some of its innocence last week after the sport found itself on the front and back pages of the newspapers and featured in the main section of the television news following Tim Cahill's early-morning exploits at a Kings Cross nightclub.

Suddenly, in what should have been a stellar week, the code has been dragged in to an unholy war that has pitted Socceroo against Socceroo and media organisation against media organisation. The game has been caught in the crossfire.

If the controversy over Cahill's behaviour, which has been - and still is - the subject of much debate in the media and had 2GB's Alan Jones frothing at the mouth in defence of his good friend Cahill, wasn't bad enough, we had Sunday's disturbing email from a Socceroos player that was revealed in a Sydney newspaper.

Forget the Cahill drama for just a minute. On the scale of atrocities committed by sportspeople in recent times, it was nothing more than a children's tea party. The email, however, is a low blow, a punch that has the power to suck the breath out of the Socceroos and cause a rift in the camp with less than 12 months to the kick off the the World Cup finals in South Africa.

Not surprisingly, the sender, who says he "has been with the team (Socceroos) for over 10 years" did not want to be named.

But he may as well walk around with a huge sign hanging over his head proclaiming authorship because all the people The Australian spoke to yesterday have a very good idea as to his identity. Or, more to the point, they know the agent who wrote it on behalf of his client.

The problem is that while the real culprit is likely to go undetected, any one of a handful of players will be deemed guilty in the eyes of the public.

The email read in part: "Some of the boys have let the whole superstar thing go to their heads and they act like they are untouchable. The worst thing is that lately they have been going out of camp even before matches and breaking curfews."

Make no mistake, the consequences of the email are going to be huge for the Socceroos. It has put the issue of team spirit and harmony in to the public domain. Worse still, it will now divide the Australia camp, if it hasn't already. It used to be the Socceroos against the world, but now it is mate versus mate.

It is a sorry and sad state of affairs.

It does not reflect well on anyone - not on Cahill, who should have known better, not on FFA, which could have handled the matter differently, not on the media, which appears to unashamedly have taken sides in this matter, and not on the Socceroo who, for whatever reason, opted to put himself above the interests of the team to air the dirty linen in public.

Fortunately, the World Cup is 12 months away. It should be enough time to get the Socceroos back on track.

The AGENT wrote it on behalf of his client??  Riiiiiight.

Now the agenda-pushing journo's can't even get their _fabricated_ stories straight??  3 days ago we've got Rothfield and Wilson saying the player sent it in and they know who it was blah blah blah...... and here we are today with the _agent_ having done the deed.

Pathetic.

serious14

There's also the not-at-all-insignificant matter of "Executive Sports Editor" Rothfield admitting (not even insinuating, he blatantly came out and said it) that League gets more coverage because of superior advertising dollars.....

Would _love_ Media Watch to take them to town on that one.

midfielder

Serious

Gatt article reads that he actually a player got his agent to send an email... interesting to say the least... a group hug sounds like it is in order...

snowroo

We can see from Federal Politics it's easy to forge an e-mail and for the NRL and News.Ltd the stakes are just as high Keeping their shitty little game on top. Perhaps their just covering their tracks a little better than the polies. Surely this BS is dead.............oh wait there's another e-mail from Pim saying Tim slept with my wife.........and then Harry. Fu&king wan&ers.

midfielder

Gatts article all but say's it was Bernie Mandic IMO .. i.e. the players agent ... someone who does not drink and is very stick etc ... been around for ten years ...

As I said interesting ... also remember Gatt is an old NSL boy and is married to Tony Labozzetta's sister or cousin and has never been overly friendly to New Football... interesting days ahead ....

marinermick

midfielder said:
Gatts article all but say's it was Bernie Mandic IMO .. i.e. the players agent ... someone who does not drink and is very stick etc ... been around for ten years ...

As I said interesting ... also remember Gatt is an old NSL boy and is married to Tony Labozzetta's sister or cousin and has never been overly friendly to New Football... interesting days ahead ....

and Mandic is Kewell's agent

incidentially Mrdja's agent as well

bulldogmariner

serious14 said:
bulldogmariner said:
Ray Gatt is not a league journo.

Forgiveness please, he's a "sports writer".  I just found a lot of league stories with his name on them.  ;)
He is actually head of the Football Media Association and he presented awards at the FFA awards night. He is a regular at CCM games. He is more a football writer than anything else.

marinermick

bulldogmariner said:
serious14 said:
bulldogmariner said:
Ray Gatt is not a league journo.

Forgiveness please, he's a "sports writer".  I just found a lot of league stories with his name on them.  ;)
He is actually head of the Football Media Association and he presented awards at the FFA awards night. He is a regular at CCM games. He is more a football writer than anything else.

yeah, a really good bloke

as serious said was firmly in the labbo camp and old nsl

these days not so much

bulldogmariner

marinermick said:
and Mandic is Kewell's agent

incidentially Mrdja's agent as well
Wow i wonder how much he gets from Nik. He must be greatful to have signed him as he hasnt played much in 4 years so not much for a manager to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred