• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Crowds

midfielder

Wleague and youth league worth 7 million? Matildas and U23 worth 42 mill?

You do realise the abc are presently paid by government grant to telecast the wleague?

And you would be lucky to have more than three figures watching a youth league game? Worth is about a halfpenny.

And the very few U23's matches they give a shite about telecasting rate like a stand up comedian at a funeral?

#360 Mill. or more than half the total fox commitment for their afl deal, for 12 socceroo games per annum, most of which will rate about 25% of that of an average nrl match?

(btw, you have 12 matches x $6 mill per match = $360 mill. Why?

50 mill. in oversees telecast sales? Where did you even start to reach that figure?

The ratings figures your claiming as your guide for the new deal have since the 1st round slipped about 50%, as expected after people got tired of Harry.

And finally, after being told previously about comparing afl 5 city metro ratings with all inclusive paytv ratings and you getting the shits about being told to use your eyes, you're still doing it.

Just a quickly one about the ratings... what I said was it does not matter because the year is not over .. if you do know of a current site that gives weekly rating for payTv and last years weekly ratings I would love the link... however until we have this year A-League ratings to compare with last years AFL ratings its somewhat pick a reasonable number at this stage... BTW the payTV link I put up issued a statement about three weeks ago saying there was a copyright dispute and they cannot publish the current payTV figures ... so only reason they are not used is because I have no idea where to get them now as I said if you do I would love the link...

12 matches * 6 million equals 72 million per year, over five years is 360 million...the Socceroos will be shown on a number of platforms, FTA, Pay, Online & Phone... my reasoning is if the SOO is worth 11 to 16 million per match then Socceroos are worth at least 6 million..

The W & Y leagues... Basketball with crap rating and on their arse signed a 30 million media deal with 10, the RL youth league gets 20 million on the last payTV deal and they expect double this time... the Netball I am not sure ... but given the ratings of these sports / codes / level, then I believe the W & Y league is worth 1.5 Mill per year..

U 23 & Matildas ... on a FTA station with heaps of coin at stake they would rate ... BTW a little known fact the 2007 RWC & WWC{Football] SBS had the WWC and 10 the 2007 RWC they were played at almost the same time... the Matildas V Brazil in a semi final to see who made it to the final four outrated the Australia V Fiji match on ten... they were head to head the same time... Yes I think in the right hands and FTA / Fox these games will take off ... maybe I am wrong but 0.5 mill per game is still less than half what is paid for a AFL game...

Overseas ... NZ takes the A-League as does PNG ... the other nations mentioned I am told also take the A-League .. so 2 million per country per year...

curious

Astra conduct the ratings and publish them weekly, but only the top ten, so gaining an average is impossible if several aleague games per week are not included, which is most often the case. Keep in mind when looking at archives that past years have been 5 city metro, only. They are appreciably lower when regional are excluded.

http://astra.org.au/

midfielder

Thanks for the link but as you said its only the top ten .... but it better than nothing..

BB released on the From Football Australia web site ... has some interesting things http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/buckley-opinion-display/Listening-to-fans-a-key-ingredient/42261

After Week Four, the A-League’s crowd average is up 36% and our TV audience figures on Fox Sports are setting new highs. For example, the average viewership per match is up 62%.

Club memberships across the A-League are up 16%, but as clubs are still selling packages over the early home games we’d expect the final increase to be closer to 20%.

patrick_vieira4

When you're analyzing crowds I think the Mariners need to have a long hard look at themselves. The Jets in their 3 home games have gotten around 12,000 v Heart (which I saw 3 Heart jerseys all day), around 14,000 against Mariners, around 12,000 v Perth (which I saw < 10 Perth jerseys all day). It's safe to say there would be a bunch of Jets supporters coming out of the woodwork to watch the derby game, let's say 1,000 extras are dragged in for a bigger game. That means, for an away game that is only an hour away, the Mariners only brought around 1,000 total supporters to Newcastle. That's it. It was the worst showing of yellow I've ever seen at Broadmeadow, and the numbers prove it. It was an absolute disgrace. I just wanted to deal out the numbers for y'all - so you can really see who's killing the league crowd-wise at the moment.

EDIT: and those numbers are hypothetical. Judging by what I saw at the game, I would say there were <500 Coast supporters in the whole stadium.

patrick_vieira4

I didn't know that our crowds are worse than gold coast....flap off troll.

It's not about your home crowds, I didn't say that. To piece together what I said, then come out of it and say "we have better crowds than GCU" makes you seem very stupid.

You guys had practically a home game, the closest away game there is, and brought <500 people to it!

I didn't say anything about your home crowds because I don't care about them. But you managed to embarrass yourself with the weakest away showing in Newy ever. It was an actual disgrace the lack of Yellow there. Shit for the league - the idea behind a local derby is it gets packed out. We practically did that on our own.

Ancient Mariner

When you're analyzing crowds I think the Mariners need to have a long hard look at themselves. The Jets in their 3 home games have gotten around 12,000 v Heart (which I saw 3 Heart jerseys all day), around 14,000 against Mariners, around 12,000 v Perth (which I saw < 10 Perth jerseys all day). It's safe to say there would be a bunch of Jets supporters coming out of the woodwork to watch the derby game, let's say 1,000 extras are dragged in for a bigger game. That means, for an away game that is only an hour away, the Mariners only brought around 1,000 total supporters to Newcastle. That's it. It was the worst showing of yellow I've ever seen at Broadmeadow, and the numbers prove it. It was an absolute disgrace. I just wanted to deal out the numbers for y'all - so you can really see who's killing the league crowd-wise at the moment.

EDIT: and those numbers are hypothetical. Judging by what I saw at the game, I would say there were <500 Coast supporters in the whole stadium.

In the first few seasons Mariners used to take a very reasonable number of supporters to Newcastle. However the treatment dished out by the home fans to the visitors has been nothing short of disgusting. Who is going to take their family to a game where you are continually abused with vile language by juvenile delinquents and being spat upon during the game by the "fans" from the level above while a totally ineffectual security force does nothing.

As this club has a mainly family based group of supporters the drop in attendance at Newcastle over the years is perfectly understandable.

You need to take a closer look at the reasons and work out who is the real disgrace.

patrick_vieira4

You can't make that statement until we play you at home. We'll talk then....

The Mariners have successfully set a depressingly low standard in terms of bringing people to away games. You've probably ruined it for heaps of Novocastrians who would have come if the Mariners actually had an attempt of bringing people to Newy the other week. But you brought no one, and I assume no one will return the favour.

Backtrack any faster and you'll fall over yourself. Piss off idiot.

Isn't it time we banned this clown?

Backtrack? No, you just need to learn how to comprehend what someone is saying.

In the first few seasons Mariners used to take a very reasonable number of supporters to Newcastle. However the treatment dished out by the home fans to the visitors has been nothing short of disgusting. Who is going to take their family to a game where you are continually abused with vile language by juvenile delinquents and being spat upon during the game by the "fans" from the level above while a totally ineffectual security force does nothing.

As this club has a mainly family based group of supporters the drop in attendance at Newcastle over the years is perfectly understandable.

You need to take a closer look at the reasons and work out who is the real disgrace.

In case you haven't noticed - for the past few years all our home games have been on Sundays because it was deemed family friendly. Newy are a family, community-based club also. And our fans receive the exact same treatment from yours. I've been punched, had my car key-scratched & had my mrs sexually harassed by Mariners fans. So get off your high horse - nobody is perfect, especially Mariners fans.

EDIT: Oh and I've been spat on at 3 Mariners games also - twice by kids and once by kids in adult bodies.

Ancient Mariner

In case you haven't noticed - for the past few years all our home games have been on Sundays because it was deemed family friendly. Newy are a family, community-based club also. And our fans receive the exact same treatment from yours. I've been punched, had my car key-scratched & had my mrs sexually harassed by Mariners fans. So get off your high horse - nobody is perfect, especially Mariners fans.

EDIT: Oh and I've been spat on at 3 Mariners games also - twice by kids and once by kids in adult bodies.

I find it interesting that the Sydney fans seem to have the same problems at Newcastle, but very not at Gosford, nor do we at the SFS. Also we seem to be able to share a drink in the same bar with the smurfs either in Sydney or at Gosford Leagues.

When that can happen maybe you will see a few more visitors.

patrick_vieira4

Do you interview 100% of the travelling fans to draw this conclusion?

Maybe it's a tense environment in Newcastle because we treat a derby like a derby - not like a tea party.

And I never have, nor ever will say that Newcastle don't give crap to opposition fans. But I will ask the pot to stop calling the kettle black when other fan groups throw around accusations. Everyone is just as bad as everyone else - you must just hold your hands over your ears and make loud noises when someone tries to tell you the Central Coast population isn't perfect like you seem to be making them out as.

Also, Sydney fans were at our pre-game drinking spot last year.

Why would all those families want to go to a drinking pub pre-game anyway?

Ancient Mariner

Maybe it's a tense environment in Newcastle because we treat a derby like a derby - not like a tea party.

And I never have, nor ever will say that Newcastle don't give crap to opposition fans. But I will ask the pot to stop calling the kettle black when other fan groups throw around accusations. Everyone is just as bad as everyone else - you must just hold your hands over your ears and make loud noises when someone tries to tell you the Central Coast population isn't perfect like you seem to be making them out as.

Personal experience and reading the Sydney forum.

My wife, my son and his girlfriend are old enough to drink. In various combinations we have attended most grounds around the country where we have been treated as rivals and with a lot of banter, but with respect.

The only game they flatly refuse to accompany me to is Newcastle and I cannot blame them.

My final words.

adz

Staff member

Anyone who knows the first thing about doing surveys will be able to tell you that you don't need to interview 100% of the population, you just need some. (Sample size calculator for more information). So we ask a few mates, ask a few randoms at the pub before/after games, and then we have a pretty good idea that game day is generally better anywhere but Newcastle.

We can have a bit of banter at games, and then a drink afterwards with some more banter with supporters from every other team except Newcastle. It's always the bogans from up north that take things a bit too far, can't handle having a bit of a laugh.

midfielder

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/la-galaxy-confident-of-keeping-becks/story-e6frfg8x-1226187347672

From the Herald Sun...

Fox ratings bonanza

THE Victory v Roar match was not only Fox Sport's highest rating game of the season, but it topped all Pay TV ratings last week, eclipsing the launch of 10-part drama series Killing Time.

The Saturday night clash on Fox Sports 1 attracted an average audience of 155,000 viewers, similar to the audience for the much-hyped opening round clash between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC.

Now we need our own FA Cup

SEASON 7 was the most highly anticipated A-League season yet and five rounds in it has lived up to its billing.Crowds, quality and general interest levels have spiked from last season.

But after taking its eye off the A-League during the unsuccessful World Cup bid, FFA's challenge is to continue capitalising by being proactive and planning for the medium-to-long term.

And an FFA Cup - provided it is well organised - would provide football with another shot in the arm.

An ongoing issue is the disconnection many football followers have with the A-League, from former NSL followers to players and supporters of state, provisional and amateur league clubs in the men's and women's game.

FFA has been largely responsible for this because it has ignored many old soccer types, as they are tactlessly known.

The FFA Cup would be an olive branch of sorts, particularly after the disappointment of refusing to allow Melbourne Victory and Heart to compete in the inaugural Mirabella Cup.

The proposed competition is in the pipeline and under discussion at FFA headquarters as we speak, with challenges aplenty to overcome - such as cost and logistics.

But these talks must be elevated to the top of the agenda with a view to being unveiled in 2012. There has been plenty of hearsay about this competition, but nothing as yet to show for it.

The absolute key to the cup's success and credibility is incentive, and what better carrot than an Asian Champions League spot.

It should mirror the English FA Cup formula in pitting powerful Premier League clubs against lower league clubs.

The world's oldest competition now has 763 teams and an FFA Cup could, and should, reach several hundred with clubs.

Melbourne Knights, South Melbourne, Green Gully, Preston Lions, Sunshine Georgies and Mooroolbark all competed in the NSL and, stretching from the Victorian Premier League to the provisional league these days, this would be a great chance to dip into the archives and re-tell the tales.

And Bulleen, Ballarat Red Devils, Mornington and Lyndale United should have just as much right to earn the chance to take on Melbourne Victory or Ange Postecoglous all-conquering Brisbane Roar.

Here is a seven-point FFA Cup plan:

PREMIER and State League clubs from every state and territory must be included;

PROVISIONAL league clubs to be included, although hosting games would be subject to adhering to specific criteria;

OPENING few rounds to be played within respective States/Territories, before interstate clashes begin. It's logical and cost-effective;

ONE-leg ties, with extra time and penalties to decide winner;

A-LEAGUE clubs to be introduced in round of 32 or 64;

TV coverage for the Cup is vital, even if initially sold for a nominal fee;

NAMING-RIGHTS sponsor to help FFA subsidise costs. Prizemoney to possibly come into effect in the latter stages.

The low-scoring nature of the game ensures football is the only code where such a competition could work.

Where a postman or plumber earning a few hundred dollars a week could be scheduled to meet Harry Kewell or Brett Emerton in a competitive match.

Young players would be afforded the chance to impress A-League scouts.

And A-League clubs could genuinely engage lower league clubs and establish solid and mutually beneficial relationships.

midfielder

Following on from the Herald Sun excellent news Reuters are reporting the owners of Ch 9 are in deep doggie poo... always saw Ch 9.... a possible buyer in the next media deal... even if not a buyer certainly you would hope will keep others honest...

Wonders aloud what this means for the next media deal... maybe 9 will have new owners by then...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/07/cvc-nine-entertainment-idUSL4E7M73CN20111107

Nov 8 (Reuters) - Auditors of Australian television network Nine Entertainment Co have warned that its owner private equity giant CVC Asia Pacific may be forced to sell assets to help service A$3.6 billion ($3.7 billion) in debt, according to the Australian Financial Review.

The newspaper reported that the accountants Ernst & Young said there were doubts about Nine's ability to continue as a going concern unless it was able to repay or renegotiate A$975 million of debt due in 2014.

Nine Entertainment's accounts for fiscal 2011 included a statement from directors that depending on how the company performed, "a renegotiation of terms, waiver, recapitalisation or the sale of assets could be necessary," according to the report.

A spokeswoman for CVC declined to comment on the report.

The AFR article did not refer to one asset sale that Nine made last week, offloading the group's ACP Asian magazine assets in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia to Singapore Press Holdings for A$45 million.

A major writedown of the ACP Australian magazine business has wiped out the last of the equity in Nine Entertainment, the Financial Review reported.

Nine is one of the largest private-equity owned companies in Australia.

In September, sources told Reuters that CVC Asia Pacific was considering refinancing up to A$3.5 billion in debt at Nine Entertainment.

Up to A$2.6 billion in senior debt falls due in February 2013, and about A$900 million in mezzanine debt is due in April 2014.

Earlier this year, CVC decided to shelve a plan to float Nine given the difficult environment for IPOs.

LFCMariners

One possible theory as to why there are problems for away fans at Ausgrid is that there is nowhere to go for a drink or socialise before/ after the game. Nowhere for opposition fans to mingle. If you're playing Sydney, it's the KB or any of the pubs along Foveux St before the match. If playing against Brisbane, there are plenty of bars along Caxton Street. Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth all have at least one main watering hole that rival fans can go to before/ after the match and drink together.

But there is nowhere of the sort near Ausgrid. Wests Leagues would be the closest, and even then it's a fair distance away. When you go to Ausgrid as an away fan, you basically step off the train/ bus, walk to the ground, make yourself hoarse for 90 minutes then leave straight after, with plenty of opportunity for altercation between the stadium and the car-park/ Broadmeadow station. There is a much stronger feeling of the Jest fans being "them" than at other grounds you go to. You're a lot less likely to start dish out violent behavior on somebody if you were at the pub with them earlier, or somebody in your group is friends with them or has friends that know friends of theirs etc.

When there is no meeting point or place to socialise before/ after the match, opposition fans seem less like fellow human beings and more like the enemy in those awful colours. When your opposition is dehumanised, carrying out acts of vandalism and/ or violence is much more alluring.

Just my two cents anyway...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred