• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Crowds

Jesus

Jesus
Eurosnobbery? Hardly. It just goes to show people appreciate good football. I had Setanta a couple of seasons ago and used to watch the Blue Square Premier League games. Twice the speed and excitement of the A-League I'm afraid.

If people cared about the quality they would be watching la liga in similar numbers.

It is just euro/british snobbery, happy to stay up all night to watch their beloved southhampton suck, than go out to a live game or watch a game at primetime.

midfielder

I wanted to see how our rating stack up against other codes ...

Andy Harper recently said or words to the affect people (the press) have focussed too much on attendances and not enough on the general state of the game. Grass roots, clicks on internet media, traffic on 442 and TWG, and importantly the ratings we're getting on foxtel.

The NRL kill the Pay TV rating having I think over 80 of there top 100 programs... but we do rate and more than rugby super matches normally... outside the Tahs...

I picked a week at random just to have a boo peek ... it was week 20 in May this year...

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/05/pay-tv-ratings-week-20.html

This link shows the top 100 shows and the top 20 are almost all sport ... have a look ... I have listed the top 21 shows they are all sport except No 17 ..many of these figures are not that much higher than Football especially the AFL ones ... given we get 17 million per year does give some hope for the next media deal..

But simply look at past weeks its all on the site..

1 Live: NRL Rabbitohs V Wests Tigers Fox Sports 2 214,000
2 Live: NRL Storm V Raiders Fox Sports 2 209,000
3 Live: NRL Sea EPL Eagles V Raiders Fox Sports 2 172,000
4 Live: AFL Essendon V West Coast Fox Sports 1 171,000
5 Live: AFL Adelaide V Gold Coast Fox Sports 1 128,000
6 NRL Cowboys V Eels Fox Sports 2 110,000
7 Live: AFL Sydney V Port Adelaide Fox Sports 1 105,000
8 Live: NRL Titans V Warriors Fox Sports 2 103,000
9 Live: AFL: On The Couch Fox Sports 1 95,000
10 Live: Super Rugby: Reds V Blues Fox Sports 3 90,000
11 Live: Football: EPL Fox Sports 3 80,000
12 Live: NRL Saturday Pre Game Show Fox Sports 2 69,000
13 Live: AFL Teams Fox Sports 1 66,000
14 Live: AFL 360 Fox Sports 1 63,000
15 Live: NRL Pre Game Show Fox Sports 2 58,000
16 Live: AFL: After The Bounce Fox Sports 1 58,000
17 Robin Hood Showtime Premiere 53,000
18 Live: Super Rugby: Brumbies V Lions Fox Sports 3 50,000
19 Live: Super Rugby: Chiefs V Stormers Fox Sports 3 50,000
20 Live: The Rugby Club Fox Sports 1 47,000
21 Live: Football: EPL Man United V Chelsea Fox Sports 1 46,000

Golly

think ive heard of it before
both north and south divisions in uk
could be wrong
think there is a team called tamworth
only know cause i was born in tamworth nsw

midfielder

Further to my posts about Footballs weeks 1 & 2 ratings and the random week 20 from May.. Given the AFL recently signed their new media deal with a big chunck being paid by Fox ... I think 600 million is what Fox paid for the AFL rights..

I compared the random week 20 looked at the AFL and compared this to weeks 1 & 2 in football… remember without the RWC other A-League matches would rank in the top fifty…

Buts let’s compare … and with all its media and history the AFL wins… but look by how much and tell me then football does not have a value to Fox..

First the AFL random week 20

4 Live: AFL Essendon V West Coast Fox Sports 1 171,000
5 Live: AFL Adelaide V Gold Coast Fox Sports 1 128,000
7 Live: AFL Sydney V Port Adelaide Fox Sports 1 105,000

Football Week 1

4 LIVE: FOOTBALL: A‐LEAGUE MELB V V SYD FC FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 18:30 – 153
6 LIVE: FOOTBALL: INTERNATIONAL: AUS V MAL FOX SPORTS 2 Fri 20:00 – 122
10 LIVE: FOOTBALL: INTERNATIONAL: POST GAME FOX SPORTS 2 Fri 22:00 – 88

Football Week 2

5 Live: Football: AFC World Cup Qualifier Australia V Oman Fox Sports 1 127
6 Football: EPL Liverpool V Man United Fox Sports 1 126
7 Live: Football: A-League Fox Sports 2 125
9. Live: Football: A-League Syd Fc V Bris Fox Sports 1 67
10. Live: Football: EPL Man City V A Villa Fox Sports 1 58

curious

Perhaps with your random week 20 you can see that they are 5 city metro ratings compared with the 'all inclusive' ratings. You do realise the difference? Not trying to pull the wool over our eyes, are you bud?

This is your random week 20 with 'all inclusive' ratings.

1 LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V WESTS TIGERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 19:30 344
2 LIVE: NRL STORM V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 17:30 326
3 LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 19:00 254
4 LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V WEST COAST FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 13:00 211
5 LIVE: NRL TITANS V WARRIORS FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 14:00 177
6 LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V GOLD COAST FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 15:00 175
7 NRL COWBOYS V EELS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 21:20 167
8 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V PORT ADELAIDE FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 19:30 135
9 LIVE: AFL: ON THE COUCH FOX SPORTS 1 Tue 20:30 127
10 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V BLUES FOX SPORTS 3 Fri 19:30 118

midfielder

Perhaps with your random week 20 you can see that they are 5 city metro ratings compared with the 'all inclusive' ratings. You do realise the difference? Not trying to pull the wool over our eyes, are you bud?

This is your random week 20 with 'all inclusive' ratings.

1 LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V WESTS TIGERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 19:30 344
2 LIVE: NRL STORM V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 17:30 326
3 LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 2 Mon 19:00 254
4 LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V WEST COAST FOX SPORTS 1 Sun 13:00 211
5 LIVE: NRL TITANS V WARRIORS FOX SPORTS 2 Sun 14:00 177
6 LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V GOLD COAST FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 15:00 175
7 NRL COWBOYS V EELS FOX SPORTS 2 Sat 21:20 167
8 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V PORT ADELAIDE FOX SPORTS 1 Sat 19:30 135
9 LIVE: AFL: ON THE COUCH FOX SPORTS 1 Tue 20:30 127
10 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V BLUES FOX SPORTS 3 Fri 19:30 118

You are talking FTA ... I am talking payTV only...

curious

You are talking FTA ... I am talking payTV only...

No, i'm talking paytv. You compared an all inclusive (includes regional areas) ratings with a metro only (no regional areas included) ratings. You only needed to glance at it to see it was Fox and also realise there's no aleague on fta.

midfielder

No, i'm talking paytv. You compared an all inclusive (includes regional areas) ratings with a metro only (no regional areas included) ratings. You only needed to glance at it to see it was Fox and also realise there's no aleague on fta.

Sorry my bad ... been flat stick the last few days... you read the link better than me..

However it does not change that much ... unless their is a considerable differnce in regional rating for football than to capital city ratings...

The point I guess I am driving at ... and I have no time to do the analysis hint hint to anyone out there with a few space hours... The AFL just signed a media deal and I think 600 million of the deal was what fox paid to the AFL...

AFL provide to Fox 9 matches by 21 rounds by guessing 2.5 hours per game to be played [correct any of these figures they are my understanding] Using these figures Fox provide 9 matches * 21 rounds * 2.5 hours is 472.5 hours

Football can provide via the A-League 5 matches per week * 27 rounds * 2 hours + say 12 ACL matches and 20 AC matches .. meaning 334 hours..

Meaning football provide via the A-League 334 / 472.5 or 70% of product hours.

I was then trying to determine what percentage of the average AFL audience Football had... by looking at the link... to get it right you would need to analysis each weeks payTV figures over a year... BUT just say for the sake of pulling a number out of the air it was 29% ..

Then you could put some kinda value on the A-League so 600 million * 70% * 29% ... valuing the A-League at 122 million.. the only figure that needs heaps of work to find it out is the 29% ..

Anyhow back to work... otherwise I will never get home..

dibo

The difference won't be as much for football as rugby league, which absolutely romps the regional ratings.

midfielder

The difference won't be as much for football as rugby league, which absolutely romps the regional ratings.

Its got nothing to do with RL.... the AFL got 600 million for there ratings ... I don't know the figure but if we could or if someone has time to average Footballs ratings this year against the AFL season it gives a guide to Football of the value of the A-League...

RL becomes important after their media deal .. when we know what Fox pays RL we can further determine what the A-League is worth...by doing the same thing with RL ratings..

There are a number of folk out their who say without the Socceroos [i.e. moving Socceroos to FTA] the A-League is worthless I don't agree ...

elevated position

any deal that would deliver inxcess of 60 mill p.a would/should make the ALeague self funded at the current cap and give FFA the funds to run and at that they can reduce their reliance on grass root participant monies.

midfielder

any deal that would deliver inxcess of 60 mill p.a would/should make the ALeague self funded at the current cap and give FFA the funds to run and at that they can reduce their reliance on grass root participant monies.

I think the deal will be somewhere between 500 & 600 million depending on what the A-league is worth and how many teams we have.

elevated position

I think the deal will be somewhere between 500 & 600 million depending on what the A-league is worth and how many teams we have.
500/600 mill over how many years?
If they can get those figures over a 5 yr cycle then all current finacial crisis will be gone and other codes will be wondering who let the dogs out.

adz

Staff member
I went hunting for a bit more info on how they come up with these numbers, haven't found a lot so far... this article is from July (You might have already linked to it MF?) and says the NRL could be looking at $90m a season.

Looks like the AFL clubs will be (are??) getting their salary cap covered plus a bit extra by AFL grants, so it would be good to at least get a number that can get a few million to each club and have money left to actually promote and grow the game!

I think A-League clubs would need a fair bit more than the salary cap covered, as I imagine travel would be a massive expense that the AFL wouldn't have to worry about, since they have 10 teams based in Melbourne, and ours are spread out all over the place.

THE NRL's growing sense of optimism over the approaching media rights negotiations was dramatically highlighted yesterday when chairmen and chief executives from the 16 clubs were told the next broadcasting deal could reap the code $1.4 billion - dwarfing the amount netted by the AFL.

During a meeting lasting almost six hours with its clubs in Sydney, the NRL outlined a series of scenarios for the salary cap and club grant from 2013 based on what it expects from media rights.

The starting point was $1bn, the very minimum the game expects to generate from the rights for club, State of Origin and international football. At the top end was $1.4bn for the five years from 2013, an average of $280 million a year and a marked rise on the existing deal, which equates to about $90m a season.

Under the $1.4bn model - the AFL will receive $1.253bn over five years from next season - the salary cap would start at $6.6m and the club grant at $7.2m. Both would continue to rise over the life of the media deal. The NRL's ambitious view on the value of its product came only a day after Nine Network executive director David Gyngell acknowledged he would need to step up financially and South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson warned the game would no longer be bullied by broadcasters.

NRL chief executive David Gallop declined to confirm the broadcasting figures when he spoke to the media yesterday, although he said the game was in an enviable position and was intent on capitalising on it.

"It's not my place to confirm the numbers we discussed because that was done on a confidential basis," Gallop said.

"We just did numbers we thought were relevant.

"We modelled a number of assumptions. They are assumptions only. We certainly modelled a scenario where I think everyone is going to be very happy with what the result is.

"I know you would love me to tell you a number, but I am not going to. We're certainly conscious of the number the AFL got and we're conscious of how well our game is going so you can draw your own inference from that."

Asked about the dramatic increase in the size of the grant based on the clubs receiving 37 per cent of the revenue, Gallop said: "We put forward a proposal based on a minimum percentage distribution of the game's revenue.

"We felt it would be irresponsible to model a lift in that percentage in circumstances where particularly the club chairmen have made it clear that they want the commission to make those kind of strategic decisions.

"It was a minimum level and shouldn't be taken as anything other than that."

It is understood some club chairmen felt more money should be directed towards the clubs, although the final decision will fall to the independent commission when it takes over running of the code from News Limited (publisher of The Australian) and the Australian Rugby League, the game's co-owners, within weeks.

On a momentous day for the code, Queensland's John Grant was confirmed as the inaugural chairman of the commission while the NRL also revealed sweeping changes to its schedule from next season designed to ease the load on the game's elite players. But the broadcasting talks were the most significant discussion point.

Consultant Colin Smith, who has been advising the NRL on the broadcasting landscape, claimed the NRL was the country's leading television sport.

"This is a fantastic television sport, it is the leader," Smith said.

"You've got three great products, the NRL home and away and finals, State of Origin and then internationals. That is what's so terrific about this game."

Gallop said several issues still needed to be ironed out between News Limited and the ARL, although it is understood that is merely a fait accompli.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/nrl-media-deal-to-dwarf-afl-rights/story-e6frg7mf-1226099312220

midfielder

500/600 mill over how many years?
If they can get those figures over a 5 yr cycle then all current finacial crisis will be gone and other codes will be wondering who let the dogs out.

Five years ... could even go above the 600 million... all depends on how many teams we have and the value of the A-League... not enough time now but sometime next week i will argue my case ...

curious

Sorry my bad ... been flat stick the last few days... you read the link better than me..

No, i'm familiar with the links and you still argued after your mistake was pointed out. Like a shirty wife.

And, btw, going from around 120 mill. over 7 years to your 600+ mill. over 5 years, about a 700% increase, is as likely as a logical comment by Barnaby Joyce.

midfielder

No, i'm familiar with the links and you still argued after your mistake was pointed out. Like a shirty wife.

And, btw, going from around 120 mill. over 7 years to your 600+ mill. over 5 years, about a 700% increase, is as likely as a logical comment by Barnaby Joyce.

Oh Golly Gosh ... I already said sorry it was my fault for not reading the post in enough detail... if you read my reply it was obovious I had read it as FTA figures... but thanks for the personal abuse (Shity Wife) always appreciated and encourages others to use the forum ...

As for my 600 million + media deal... as I posted earlier when I have time some time this week or next I will explain how I arrive at the figure...

I would be interested to see what you think the next media deal will be...

Jesus

Jesus
Cant see that much. We wont get more than the NRL per season.

On a positive note tv viewership is apparently up 62% so far this season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred