• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Craig Foster on the Mariners

Ashie

How bad is fozzie, bags out not only us (the time he went off at that junior coach (U'19's???)on TWG, next week another guy was interviewed and said "that was a discgrase* what happened last week").
One thing, he does praise the mariners for (i think mentioned* before) is our community approach, "getting out, into the community".

gialloblu

Never mind that we scored more goals than the Roar and the Scum this year. Never mind that the two most exciting games in the league this year were us vs Sydney. Fozzie wouldn't want to consider backing up his prejudices with any justification would he?

serious14

*sigh*

He used to make some sense back in the day............... back in the day of SBS actually having any football outside of Champions League and month old South American games to show.  Anyone notice how Les' and Craig's increased bitterness came about at the exact time that they lost the Socceroo and A-League rights??

Look, we all know that SBS was there for us when no-one else would touch the 'effnik' game with a 20ft. pole, but honestly, their good work is being undone by this bitter stupidity they've deigned to display in the last few years - it's childish and unprofessional.

If Foster is so keen to have teams here play with "technical world clarsh", then why doesn't he put his hat in the ring to coach one of the new teams??    Oh, that's right, "Nerds FC" on your resume isn't exactly something clubs all over the world are keen to exploit.

Back in your hole now Craig, come back when you've got something insightful to say.

greenpoint

Jesus said:
South american teams tend not to play too much like les and foster believe. I remember reading an article on TWG from vickery i think, their SA correspondant, and he said something along the lines of "the brazillian game is made for athletes, fast and strong, not for artists, unlike some here at sbs believe". Thats not a direct quote.

I'd certainly trust Tim Vickery to know more about the South American game than that halfwit Foster. Vickery's been based in South America for the past 20+ years, and what does Foster really know about South American football apart from what Johnny Warren had told him?

And now it's obvious that Foster knows nothing about Australian football either! All that nonsense he persists with about the Mariners 'winning ugly'. Mate, there was nothing ugly about last week's performance!   

dibo

greenpoint said:
Jesus said:
South american teams tend not to play too much like les and foster believe. I remember reading an article on TWG from vickery i think, their SA correspondant, and he said something along the lines of "the brazillian game is made for athletes, fast and strong, not for artists, unlike some here at sbs believe". Thats not a direct quote.

I'd certainly trust Tim Vickery to know more about the South American game than that halfwit Foster. Vickery's been based in South America for the past 20+ years, and what does Foster really know about South American football apart from what Johnny Warren had told him?

And now it's obvious that Foster knows nothing about Australian football either! All that nonsense he persists with about the Mariners 'winning ugly'. Mate, there was nothing ugly about last week's performance!   

indeed:

The number 10 disappears - Tim Vickery

Ecuador and Peru recently met each other in two friendlies in Spain. The size of the immigrant community from both nations ensured big crowds in Madrid and Barcelona.

But South American sides staging their local derbies in Europe is not the only sign of the changing times.

The content of the football has also come a long way from the style of play traditionally seen in Lima, Guayaquil or Quito.

The Pacific rivals used to be exponents of old style South American football - lots of tip tap short passing, with everything going through a number 10 who bossed the attacking play from the centre of midfield.

Two magnificent exponents of the role have only recently left the international stage - Alex Aguinaga of Ecuador and Roberto Palacios of Peru both accumulated more than 100 caps and won admirers wherever they played.

But now when Ecuador and Peru meet there is not an old style number 10 to be found.

Ecuador qualified for their first World Cup in 2002 under the guidance of Colombian coach Hernan Dario Gomez. After his experiences with the national team of his native land, Gomez proclaimed himself 'cured' of the need to select an old style midfield in which three have to run and carry the piano in order that one can sit down and play it.

After the 2004 Copa America he was replaced by his compatriot Luis Fernando Suarez, who had become even more radical in his beliefs.

Nowadays any team can complicate matters by packing the midfield with battlers, he said. A good team is one which attacks and defends well down the flanks.

His approach was reflected in his side in Germany last year. All of Ecuadors goals came from swift breaks down the wing, especially the right.

There has been a slight change since then. Ecuador were playing a strict 4-4-2, with two holding midfielders in the centre, and two talented midfielders pushed wide to link up with the overlapping full backs.

Since then Suarez has been experimenting with a 4-3-2-1, which allows him to pull star player Edison Mendez a few metres in from the right flank, operating behind a lone striker.

But the idea is not so much for Mendez to organise the play as Aguinaga used to do a decade ago. Rather, Mendez is now moved closer to the goal to take full advantage of his excellent long range shooting.

Peru, now that the veteran Palacios is no longer considered, are experimenting with a style of play that has no space for an old fashioned number 10.

Former star Julio Cesar Uribe recently took over for his second spell in charge of the national team. In the matches against Ecuador he picked two strikers, and behind them Jefferson Farfan and promising teenager Damian Ismodes.

The idea seemed to be based on breaking forward on the transitions, those key moments when possession changes hands from one side to the other.

In South American parlance they seem to want to be a vertical team, fast and direct, with no need for the traditional changes of rhythm in midfield.

This, of course, is a reflection of international trends. The physical development of the game, the contemporary emphasis on athleticism, means that teams seek to power their way through the opposing defence rather than playing their way through.

The fact that such ideas have well and truly landed at the likes of Peru and Ecuador just goes to show the strength of the movement in their favour.

Earlier this year former Brazilian great Tostao wrote, "In the past the great difficulty that Brazilian teams had against Europeans was the size and physical condition of their players. Nowadays this problem no longer exists."

Over the past 30 years Brazilian football has put huge emphasis on matching the Europeans in physical terms. When they finally met Germany in a World Cup match, in the 2002 final, Brazil did so at no physical disadvantage.

As Tostao concedes, the old stereotype of the Brazilian player as short, with a low centre of gravity becomes an ever less accurate reflection of contemporary reality.

So the idea that Brazilian football is different, lighter, more attractive, full of dribbles and one-twos, needs to be rethought. Football has globalised in terms of the style of play and the physical structure of the players," he continues.

"In Brazil and the entire world there is a predominance of strong marking and crosses struck into the penalty area. Football today is a sport for tall, strong players.

And the beefed up game they play has little time or space for the traditional number 10 who plays the game from the centre of midfield.

Brazils coaching technocrats have even pointed out that if the move contains more than seven passes then the chances of it culminating in a goal are reduced.

Argentina has rightly acquired a reputation for being the guardians of the flame. That wonderful Esteban Cambiasso goal in the 2006 World Cup match against Serbia & Montenegro was nothing less than a manifesto for the value of traditional passing football - where the hub of the team is the enganche - the link man between midfield and attack, who holds a mythical place in the culture of Argentine football.

But even here the signs are not promising. National team coach Alfio Basile commented with disappointment late last year that the typical 'enganches' are disappearing all over the world.

"Even Brazil surprised us with the way they played, he said, in a reference to the friendly in London last September when Brazil picked Argentina off on the counter attack to win 3-0.

This remark showed Basile somewhat out of touch with Brazilian football.

I like to play with an enganche, but nowadays the reality indicates that only two or three teams in Argentina use this system," Basile explained.

Even more worrying is a recent declaration from Hugo Tocalli, Argentinas youth development supremo. He travels the country in search of talent, and is not impressed with what he is witnessing.

Everyones in so much of a hurry, he said. The kids are told to run and run. Winning is the only aim. Im worried about whats happening at youth levels. The lack of technique is alarming. Everyone is playing without an enganche. Its a species in extinction.

The implications for the future of the game are not positive. Of course, one of the great strengths of football is that it can be interpreted in so many different ways. There is no one right style of play.

But the definitive triumph of the athlete over the artist would take something special away from the sport, which has hypnotised the planet.

yellowcake

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
95% of his article doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense.

Makes perfect sense...

Tonight's A-League preliminary final between the Newcastle Jets and Queensland Roar is the grand final we should have had. The two best teams in the league going head-to-head would have been worthy of a title decider.
= I hate the Mariners and it irks me to have to endure that they're even in it

For neutral supporters, it would be best if one of tonight's combatants were to prevail in the grand final.
= I desperately hope that I don't have to endure them winning it

Nothing really new for Foster. I care not if he (or anybody) else doesn't like us. Even if were were 8th.

It does shit me that "neutrals" reading this might take it onbord in reasoning who'll they support (or decide that they couldn't be bothered with the showpiece because now its not going to be the the spectacle it "could have been").

What really shits me is seeing people associated in any way with football in Australia (the higher the profile the worse) being destructive. No, we don't have a cashed-up top-flight world league (yet) and yes, there are things which could be improved (constructive criticism in order).

Despite the progress in the last 3 years there's plenty to do in this country to get this game to where it can go. I'll be f**ked if it wouldn't help if we were all be on the same side.

poetryintheblood

Craig Forster is so up himself, no-one can retrieve him, honestly the guy is so full of it, the guy needs a stack of happy pills, and to get that broomstick out his ass, and that's putting things politely as a lady :)

Omni

Foster doesn't act in the best ineterests of football he acts in the best interests of his employers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing more entertaining than winning, I've never heard anyone not come to a game of a team that's winning because they're 'boring' that only happens to losers.

mustapha_beer

My wife, who admits to not being a football fan, summed it up quite neatly:

"He looks like a Ken (Barbie) doll, and talks crap....."

This self-appointed "expert" has one hell of an irrational disliking of the Mariners.....I know where I'd luuurve to stick that thing he uses on the Champions League roundup......

Mind you, is he really more annoying than ESPN's "Tommee Smit' Wit' A Woi".........????? Farken!!! Every time I see him, I feel like giving the telly a good slice of Clog Toe Pie.........

Must...get....anger....management..... :fireup:

fish

What has he achieved in the game to give him such an insight or knowledge??

His management extends to Nerds Fc Series 2 ffs
Just an overlooked wanker very bitter at the fact he is nobody

SNOWMARINER

Oh so many comments I agree with. Craig Foster is someone I use to respect for his passion and positive outlook on football in our country. Not any more, Craig you f**kwit. As others have said it just about the time SBS lost the rights to the game that his opinion of everything that Australian football has to offer changed.

Craig is a jealous envious little bitch, no offence to my two LOYAL dogs that don't bite my hand if I pat another dog. He is a discrace to football in this country and how amazingly far we have come in three short years. He goes from one negitive article about the Socceroos with their solid win and playing sensible football kicking it back a gear after an unbeatable 3-0 lead at half time while keeping a clean sheet and energy to save for their clubs to help prove that coming to play for the national team won't effect their club performance as some sort of negitive. F**kwit!

Then after a season of sh**ing on the local game he wishes he was'nt becoming redundant in as a opinion maker he claims that the most sucessful team in the A-League is bottom of the rung and the game today should be the GF. Is this clown serious? I really wonder if this f**kwit is being payed by other codes to write this s**t because the level of envy is just beyond beleif. As people have said like his know it all mate Cullina why does'nt he go for a coaching job and show us all how it's done. Put his neck on the line like his good mate Cullina that is such a proven loser he can't show his face again. Just what I would wish for Foster.

All right, now I've got that off my chest (been dying to since I picked up the paper this morning and read his worst article to date) I suggest that,

Every Football supporter in this country bombard the SBS world game website bagging the living s**t out of Craig Foster as I've noticed some already do and keep doing it until he gets the sack as a football anything.

P

Pete

pommypete said:
The guy is Mr negative of Aussie football. He always start his so called "expert " analyisis slagging off somebody or some team.I reckon him and Harper are givin it to each other,who do you think is receivo?

Who does the reach around tho?

P

Pete

1) Take the article that Foster has written and have it posted everywhere that the Mariners are training this week. Good motivation. Have Tobin read it out in the dressing room one last time, before they go out onto the field.

2) Have someone from the Mariners have said Foster invited to the post GF function and see how many people couldn't give a toss about his comments.

3) And just for once I'd love someone from the Mariners, (Viddie, JA or Lawrie I don't care who, just have them do it!)) to get fired up on camera about these sledges and really tell the world what the hell is going on, instead of being ever so polite about these constant biased comments and opinions - it's insulting.

jockey

Couldn't agree more with everything that has been written. The guy seems to be putting out feelers for a coaching or advisory position. Hopefully his media contracts are about to expire and everyone has the sense not to employ him.

UMM - Excuse my ignorance but did he do much for AUSSIE FOOTBALL?

shipwreck

This doesnt bother me at all, anyone who would bother reading his crap is obviously already a serious football fan and can see right through it, the ones you guys are worried about being swayed on who to support would either a) Be able to judge objectively that the Mariners are a good football team or b) Wouldnt be able to judge but would therefore be nowhere near that piece of trash article due to a lack of interest in the game of that depth.

P

Pete

Just checked his Wiki pedia entry.

Apparently he still plays football for Waverley Old Boys in the Eastern Suburbs comps. Dibo, Perm and Brett, maybe you could sign up for an opposing team in Sydney and get to play against the great man? ;)

dibo

Pete said:
Just checked his Wiki pedia entry.

Apparently he still plays football for Waverley Old Boys in the Eastern Suburbs comps. Dibo, Perm and Brett, maybe you could sign up for an opposing team in Sydney and get to play against the great man? ;)

he plays for waverley old boys, and whiny old shit though he may be he still plays a few divisions above this donkey, i think in one of the ESFA premier divisions. there are plenty of other folks who'd like to drop him anyway.

FFC Mariner

Irrelevant wannabe. Ignore him and one day he will go away (rather like the pathetic elitists he works for).

The game is bigger than SBS and they hate it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred