• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I think the reason for his apparent surprise and confusion on this one would have been down to thinking.

"It's obvious we have very little quality. Half the squad are crap and we want to get rid of them at the end of the season. How do I answer this question without lying or totally undermining the players for the rest of the season."
Easily - by acknowledging what we're missing and talking about what has changed in terms of leadership and recruitment within the club to ensure we don't repeat the many terrible signings of the last few years.
Instead he barely even acknowledged our poor performance (his repeated insistence on us being more competitive tells me that 'barely acknowledged' is being quite generous), showed no awareness of what the issue is - blamed it on 'inconsistency' that he couldn't understand, failing to recognise that inconsistency is most likely an outcome of something else (missing players in key positions perhaps?), and we get nothing about what's changing for next season.

Nor is he going to talk about "resources being available to coaches, players, and staff... maybe additional personnel, equipment or technology that the bigger clubs might have and we don't" and go into a lot of wishful thinking about things we cannot afford.

He went into quite of a bit of wishful thinking....hopes for the CoE, the stadium, I think a few other things. He wasn't afraid of wishful thinking.
But there was a third option - for the club to have identified that there are longstanding process problems around recruitment. Has the club recognised that? What we need to hear, at a minimum, is what the club is putting into place to ensure we don't sign another Jair, another Asdrubal, another Matty Simon (to be specific - he was brought in for the wrong reason (for the 'culture', not how he'll work on-field), and apparently at way too high a cost).

The club needs to have addressed these issues - and if they have, we need to hear about it. The fans are hurting and the club is silent.

I think he talked about some meeting in a few months to talk about this (my memory could be wrong), but we need to have started action already.

He is a director of a club with limited resources and is not using that as an excuse. Nor is he trying to give us hope that there is a fairy godmother on the horizon.

he was thrown.

I was disappointed that he did not announce any new money or wondrous things for the future. However I was satisfied that he was not promising false dawns and spoke the truth.

I will not be critical of anyone who is prepared to take on a thankless task and give up their time and money to help the Club.

Thrown? He should have been expecting that question above all else

Nobody wanted him to promise false dawns. But we wanted some sort of acknowledgement and recognition of the state the club is in and action for next season.

All we got was a shrug of the shoulders and a "we are more competitive, I don't understand what's happened"

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Bad luck if you don’t follow the right people on twitter or have the insider gossip I guess. You’ve had a few responses and no one has decided to volunteer the two names that were common knowledge.
Yeah, we've had that problem on here before. If somebody asks 'who are we talking about here?' then 'oh, it was widely discussed on socials' is just a snobbish response. It smacks of 'well, you're clearly a bit lower on the tier of fan rankings if you're not in the know'.
I don't think anybody on here is like that, but it's how it comes off - and all that aside, it's not hard to just answer the question.
I have absolutely no idea who the 2nd player is either - I wouldn't even have thought of Roy as the first player as I don't recall anything other than speculation on here about him, which accounts for zip.

Ozhammer

Just for the record here, my posts in response to the pod were not directed at those individuals personally and my frustration lies solely with the club and it’s ongoing handling of fan concerns.

My view is that Shaun, Anton et al should be on the front foot managing the situation and trying to set a narrative that keeps us as informed as possible, whilst not breaking any confidences that need to be kept. The apparent ‘trust us it’s all under control’ approach currently being employed just doesn’t work for me personally I’m afraid and that’s from someone who is actually privy to a certain level of inside information.

I appreciate that I didn’t get time to post any questions before Anton’s interview and so am not complaining that my specific concerns were not addressed, however, I am surprised that no-one else thought to ask the same or a similar question, given its relative importance to the team’s present situation.

For those of us not on twitterface though, perhaps some comment about who the club chased other than Roy O and Harold would be appreciated cheers.

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I still do to know what Twitter and Facebook are and am quite satisfied not to be wading through heaps of useless gossip and living in the Matrix.
However, it was a fairly good bet, even to me, that the other two players that the Club was interested in were Bernie and especially Roy O.
Harold came as a complete surprise.

Big Al

Just for the record here, my posts in response to the pod were not directed at those individuals personally and my frustration lies solely with the club and it’s ongoing handling of fan concerns.

My view is that Shaun, Anton et al should be on the front foot managing the situation and trying to set a narrative that keeps us as informed as possible, whilst not breaking any confidences that need to be kept. The apparent ‘trust us it’s all under control’ approach currently being employed just doesn’t work for me personally I’m afraid and that’s from someone who is actually privy to a certain level of inside information.

I appreciate that I didn’t get time to post any questions before Anton’s interview and so am not complaining that my specific concerns were not addressed, however, I am surprised that no-one else thought to ask the same or a similar question, give its relative importance to the team’s present situation.

For those of us not on twitterface though, perhaps some comment about who the club chased other than Roy O and Harold would be appreciated cheers.
Oz, Jan window is a bit of a false hope. Fans want signings but we have a full squad.

You can only swap players and know one wants our players. We can want every player but we need to release players.

The players we want to release, their only options are NPL. Thinking Shabow Melling etc.

W don’t pay enough as it is little own pay out someone’s contract to leave the club early.

Next years recruiting is way more important than Jan window IMO.

That said I think Harold has been a good seap for GG. And Roy would have been great

Ancient Mariner

Capn, thrown was probably a poor choice of words and he probably did expect the question but was cautious of saying the wrong thing. I am probably being a bit defensive of someone I admire and who I see as one of the best additions to the Club in ages.

I think he explained how recruitment has changed on the what was in the past. There is now a recruitment committee to look at options, himself, Monty and the coaches, with Shaun "sitting in". I see this as a massive improvement that will hopefully avoid the major errors.

Under this system the signing for this season have been in the most part good:
Kim was a great opportunistic signing and it was a shame Lee did not work out.
Duric has been a good signing and may have been a gamble with fitness, but taking a gamble is part of the game after balancing odds.
Birraz was a great find and probably the most important signing.
Silverra could be a good pickup.
Ziggy is a very solid signing.
Stens has been good.
Tongyik and Fox, the jury is still out, but they are young and defenders and have a future. I will not call them bad signings.
Gallifuoko was a disappointment but has now been let go.

This seasons signings and re-signings:
Jair is thought to be a dud on here, but I cannot believe a striker who scored at a good rate in Korea, but then had a bad season with the Jets playing out of position is a total loss. I still hold out hope. Whether he fails in the end or not. I do not see him as a disaster like Asdrubal or Gamiero, but definitely, this signing was a gamble that was worth taking for a position that had a screaming need.
Harold looks to be an excellent pick up.
The re-signings this year have been youth who have shown they have a future and have been longer than the usual 1 year.

I am very comfortable with his answer about what has been put in place.

adz

Staff member
I think the reason for his apparent surprise and confusion on this one would have been down to thinking.

"It's obvious we have very little quality. Half the squad are crap and we want to get rid of them at the end of the season. How do I answer this question without lying or totally undermining the players for the rest of the season."

Nor is he going to talk about "resources being available to coaches, players, and staff... maybe additional personnel, equipment or technology that the bigger clubs might have and we don't" and go into a lot of wishful thinking about things we cannot afford.

He is a director of a club with limited resources and is not using that as an excuse. Nor is he trying to give us hope that there is a fairy godmother on the horizon.

In an interview with a club on the bottom and struggling, he tried to emphasise the few positives, which is what you would expect.
That question was a tough one to answer for someone in his position and I suspect the thought processes were "how the f*** do I answer this and stay positive?" and he was thrown.

I was disappointed that he did not announce any new money or wondrous things for the future. However I was satisfied that he was not promising false dawns and spoke the truth.

I will not be critical of anyone who is prepared to take on a thankless task and give up their time and money to help the Club.

I was hoping for an answer that covered at least some sort of high level plan the club is implementing - and I think others have covered this a bit but even things that are considered common knowledge or common sense (are they chasing investment) because not everyone is across every single piece of info or rumour to do with the club.

Basically we have a company (Mariners) producing a bad product -- we're looking at a fourth wooden spoon in 5 years -- and someone in an upper management position coming out and saying they don't know why it's bad and not giving any sort of roadmap to fix it.

Ads

I was hoping for an answer that covered at least some sort of high level plan the club is implementing - and I think others have covered this a bit but even things that are considered common knowledge or common sense (are they chasing investment) because not everyone is across every single piece of info or rumour to do with the club.

Basically we have a company (Mariners) producing a bad product -- we're looking at a fourth wooden spoon in 5 years -- and someone in an upper management position coming out and saying they don't know why it's bad and not giving any sort of roadmap to fix it.

Yeah well said.
I think this is why many have said that surely at some level the ownership of the club is purely for some other reason.
(Tax, property or to simply say I own a football club).

And I don’t doubt that ownership had best intentions of making money from the
‘other side’ (property, etc) but how can you justify such poor management of both the football and other ventures.
Surely if you don’t have a football brain you would at-least nail the other ventures as a property and business guru.

Reactions: adz

Ironbark

This is why I don't blame anyone I speak to who says they've disengaged. Any other product in any business producing like this - and showing absolutely no plans to improve it - would already be out of business.

Ironbark

clip
Jair is thought to be a dud on here, but I cannot believe a striker who scored at a good rate in Korea, but then had a bad season with the Jets playing out of position is a total loss. I still hold out hope. clip
This is why I am ok with the club making this signing even if it doesn't pan out

FFC Mariner

Bernie wouldnt come here.

Why have a high level plan - we have improved. Anton said so.

Coast Football Ramble

We discuss our recent loss to Sydney, touch on the recent rumours surrounding the new A-League Collective Bargaining Agreement, we answer your questions and more.

new-pod-alert-2-jpg.1520

jacobsfl

In your opinion, who was Mulvey's worst signing?

Are there any youthies that could get some minutes in the final rounds of the season? if so, who?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb