• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Coast Football Ramble Podcast

pjennings

First of all I will say I generally love listening to the Ramble. However, I do have a few of observations about active support raised because of the WSW TIFO.

As way of background I originally started in the Bay during the CWC playoffs and a bit in the early seasons and then moved from there to the prawn sandwich area. I'm not going to tell people what they should do in the Bay because I'm not there - I'll just make a few observations.

1) I don't believe there are 'more important' members or fans. The NT in Melbourne and the RBB at WSW seem to think it is all about them. It's not - it's all about the football. While visually the RBB is impressive I find them quite boring, repetitive and for want of a better word orchestrated. From days of watching Apia and Northern Spirit in the NSL and the beginning of the Mariners I find the best 'active support' is that which is proactive and reactive to the game. If the team flagging it's time to step it up. If something happens on the field - respond with a relevant chant. The RBB do not do this - they just focus on themselves. I seem to remember there was to be a minutes silence before our Champioship win (my memory could be wrong). My memory tells me it was almost over before the RBB noticed. This just reflects their attitude of 'it's all about me'.

As an aside I do think that the Ramble is rather condescending towards non-active support.

2) I didn't laugh at the WSW TIFO nor did it offend me. I didn't laugh at it because the humour is dated. It didn't offend me because I ignored it because it was boring - but I can definitely see how it could offend some. The fact that the RBB cannot see this again reflects their 'it's all about me'. attitude. It is interesting that they have a splinter group that dresses all in black. TBH I would not be surprised to see a section of the RBB boycott the HAL similar to the NT.

3) As an OSC member I like the idea of some money going towards TIFO's.

4) I don't like the band as a stand-alone entity. They should be either part of or working closely with the yellow army. It is hard enough to hear the yellow army in the stands (though apparently quite audible at Point Frederick - another good reason for a roof) without them having to battle against rather than with the band.

Last edited:

Coast Football Ramble

First of all I will say I generally love listening to the Ramble. However, I do have a few of observations about active support raised because of the WSW TIFO.

As way of background I originally started in the Bay during the CWC playoffs and a bit in the early seasons and then moved from there to the prawn sandwich area. I'm not going to tell people what they should do in the Bay because I'm not there - I'll just make a few observations.

1) I don't believe there are 'more important' members or fans. The NT in Melbourne and the RBB at WSW seem to think it is all about them. It's not - it's all about the football. While visually the RBB is impressive I find them quite boring, repetitive and for want of a better word orchestrated. From days of watching Apia and Northern Spirit in the NSL and the beginning of the Mariners I find the best 'active support' is that which is proactive and reactive to the game. If the team flagging it's time to step it up. If something happens on the field - respond with a relevant chant. The RBB do not do this - they just focus on themselves. I seem to remember there was to be a minutes silence before our Champioship win (my memory could be wrong). My memory tells me it was almost over before the RBB noticed. This just reflects their attitude of 'it's all about me'.

As an aside I do think that the Ramble is rather condescending towards non-active support.

2) I didn't laugh at the WSW TIFO nor did it offend me. I didn't laugh at it because the humour is dated. It didn't offend me because I ignored it because it was boring - but I can definitely see how it could offend some. The fact that the RBB cannot see this again reflects their 'it's all about me'. attitude. It is interesting that they have a splinter group that dresses all in black. TBH I would not be surprised to see a section of the RBB boycott the HAL similar to the NT.

3) As an OSC member I like the idea of some money going towards TIFO's.

4) I don't like the band as a stand-alone entity. They should be either part of or working closely with the yellow army. It is hard enough to hear the yellow army in the stands (though apparently quite audible at Point Frederick - another good reason for a roof) without them having to battle against rather than with the band.

Thank you for the feedback, I do like to know if people think we've misread a point of hit the nail on the head.
The thing to remember is that they are just our points of view, everything is about perspective. :)

1) I think there is a spot for choreographed chants. In bay 16 I think we get a pretty good mix of reactive chants and the longer more choreographed chants. The reactive chants are usually the most fun due to the humour of the situation.
The RBB are self indulgent and they deserve the bans and sanctions coming their way. As for their chants, they might find that the best way to get the most out of the RBB is to use the choreographed chants, where more organic reactive chants wouldn't have the same volume. (Don't know if they've bothered trying though)

2) I have a similar feeling toward the RBB banner. As I mentioned, I think the spot for it would have been in a private discussion and not actually in public. I don't find it blindingly offensive, but I also don't think they should have done it.

3) Thank you for your support.

4) I support the original band that we had, and the way it originally ran. It worked well and sounded good.
However the current band does not seem to want to work with our requests, the reason it has come to the situation we find ourselves in.

Again, thank you for the feedback.
-Jimmy

Timmah

Well said both PJ's!

For what it's worth from my long distance away:

• I think what @pjennings refers to with choreographed chanting is that RBB songsheet is so rigid that they actually appear to structure the chants. Chant A from 1st-7th minute, Chant B from 7th-13th etc... rather than responding to the flow of the game. I don't think PP and the army are that structured with the chants from memory?
  • The minutes silence thing you're thinking of was the anthem - they literally were doing an internal call & response chant for about 2/3rds of the anthem. Their defence afterwards was laughable, blaming poor PA rather than the absolute obvious - that the national anthem is sung before a f**king grand final.
  • As someone who hears everything through the medium of TV, the band is worn out. It was entertaining and a point of a chuckle and even at first worked well with the support, but it seems to have become its own beast, competing with active for noise when it should be complementing it.

Coast Football Ramble

Well said both PJ's!

For what it's worth from my long distance away:

• I think what @pjennings refers to with choreographed chanting is that RBB songsheet is so rigid that they actually appear to structure the chants. Chant A from 1st-7th minute, Chant B from 7th-13th etc... rather than responding to the flow of the game. I don't think PP and the army are that structured with the chants from memory?
  • The minutes silence thing you're thinking of was the anthem - they literally were doing an internal call & response chant for about 2/3rds of the anthem. Their defence afterwards was laughable, blaming poor PA rather than the absolute obvious - that the national anthem is sung before a f**king grand final.
  • As someone who hears everything through the medium of TV, the band is worn out. It was entertaining and a point of a chuckle and even at first worked well with the support, but it seems to have become its own beast, competing with active for noise when it should be complementing it.

We have a loose structure throughout the game.
We'll do the same chants at certain parts of the game, ie: Arms on shoulders around on the 22nd minute.
This has changed recently though, the lack of people in the bay discourages us from doing certain things that we used to.

nebakke

I think there's a lot to what you were saying about the band PJ... I really like the band and I really like the idea of them being a smaller entity, complimenting the chanting, rather than the constant noise that they have tended towards for the last year-or-so...
I did like them walking through the bays in the stadium, it can really help get people on-board sometimes - if it's done at the right time in the right way... If the game is boring and not a lot is happening, it falls dead-flat... But if there's a lift in the game or the team needs the extra support, it seems to work better at getting people moving.
But then, I sit in the prawn-sandwich rows and get annoyed that noone picks up the chants, at least on the simpler stuff like "COAST!" and "CCMFC!" because it doesn't get more simple and obvious than that, and especially the single-word "coast" can really lift things easily.

Adelaide has a call/answer that, so far as my deaf ears can hear, is a variant on what Brisbane does as well - the "Who are we" only much faster and cycling (well again, I THINK that's what they're saying - hard to hear on telly sometimes).. The effect is really strong and the work required by non-active is so little, it always amazes me that we can't get anything like this up at all...
I mean, it's gotten to the point where even "mariners clapclapclap" is getting hard to start - "whodowesingfor" seems to be the only one that gets people on-board now.

Anyway, that devolved into more of a chant review than a commentary... All-in-all, good work again boys, thanks! :)

Big Al

Another great episode

My worthless 2cents on the flags issue
When away is it an allocation for Active support or for all away support?
When away we want all our fans to be together as much as possible to show support to the boys.
I see it as opportunity for all to come together.
Away days could be seen as audition for active support if you like. Every one gets a taste and may get converted but at worst learn a few songs to sing along with.
If everyone sits in a vicinity we can add colour through numbers and voice and the boys will know where we are.
The flags just have potential to create divisions like what has happened as people want to sit with other Mariners fans but don't want to not see.
Simply maybe just leave the flags at home on away days. I understand it's active support but away days are for all to come together if possible. In my mind anyway.
I wasn't there but if I was I would be pissed as well and want to move

As for the fees to play, wow what a rip off and every one has a hand out

I know you need to ask but always worry about the answers when asking players about resigning. Posco saying haven't spoken to club I want to wait, is that I'm embarrassed they don't want me? Is it I'm going elsewhere but can't tell you?
Maybe just stick to we'd be happy to have you back or something.
I like asking what they get from Paulo as a coach, I get the feeling the players do like him but he's not there best mate either

Bring on City it's been to long between winning podcasts

Also will you be doing reviews of the NPL2 boys? 1st year listening so don't know but liked the little bit on them and will get down to pluim a couple times this season if I can

Coast Football Ramble

Another great episode

My worthless 2cents on the flags issue
When away is it an allocation for Active support or for all away support?
When away we want all our fans to be together as much as possible to show support to the boys.
I see it as opportunity for all to come together.
Away days could be seen as audition for active support if you like. Every one gets a taste and may get converted but at worst learn a few songs to sing along with.
If everyone sits in a vicinity we can add colour through numbers and voice and the boys will know where we are.
The flags just have potential to create divisions like what has happened as people want to sit with other Mariners fans but don't want to not see.
Simply maybe just leave the flags at home on away days. I understand it's active support but away days are for all to come together if possible. In my mind anyway.
I wasn't there but if I was I would be pissed as well and want to move

As for the fees to play, wow what a rip off and every one has a hand out

I know you need to ask but always worry about the answers when asking players about resigning. Posco saying haven't spoken to club I want to wait, is that I'm embarrassed they don't want me? Is it I'm going elsewhere but can't tell you?
Maybe just stick to we'd be happy to have you back or something.
I like asking what they get from Paulo as a coach, I get the feeling the players do like him but he's not there best mate either

Bring on City it's been to long between winning podcasts

Also will you be doing reviews of the NPL2 boys? 1st year listening so don't know but liked the little bit on them and will get down to pluim a couple times this season if I can

We are interviewing Ken Schembri next week, we were going to do it a couple of weeks ago, but he's been understandably busy with getting the team ready. We'll most likely also get Ben Cahn back on and players every now and then (which is new for us).
We roughly covered NPL2 at the end of last season and start of this season. We usually take a break during A-league off season. We might do a podcast every home NPL2 game this off season though, I'll talk with the guys and see what they want to do.

Winning podcasts are good podcasts.

Regarding away day bays, it depends on which away venue you go to, sometimes there'll be two areas that CCM fans can buy tickets (this might have changed in latter years) and there'll almost always be two bays allocated in one main section. One of these bays is usually more active, the other is less so.
The main reason why the flag was the issue is due to the person waving (not even waving, just holding it up) at the wrong times and not doing it correctly, the person in questions grabbed the flag from the person that originally had it and it quickly went downhill.
The flags weren't an issue for the first 70 odd minutes, they were waved sparingly and at specific times that were described to the users.
When the ball is away from our end and during faster parts of chants, goals, walk outs etc.
If you sit in an active bay, you should expect a restricted view, this was an exceptional case though and won't be repeated.

Big Al

We are interviewing Ken Schembri next week, we were going to do it a couple of weeks ago, but he's been understandably busy with getting the team ready. We'll most likely also get Ben Cahn back on and players every now and then (which is new for us).
We roughly covered NPL2 at the end of last season and start of this season. We usually take a break during A-league off season. We might do a podcast every home NPL2 game this off season though, I'll talk with the guys and see what they want to do.

Winning podcasts are good podcasts.

Regarding away day bays, it depends on which away venue you go to, sometimes there'll be two areas that CCM fans can buy tickets (this might have changed in latter years) and there'll almost always be two bays allocated in one main section. One of these bays is usually more active, the other is less so.
The main reason why the flag was the issue is due to the person waving (not even waving, just holding it up) at the wrong times and not doing it correctly, the person in questions grabbed the flag from the person that originally had it and it quickly went downhill.
The flags weren't an issue for the first 70 odd minutes, they were waved sparingly and at specific times that were described to the users.
When the ball is away from our end and during faster parts of chants, goals, walk outs etc.
If you sit in an active bay, you should expect a restricted view, this was an exceptional case though and won't be repeated.
You guys deserve a break but if something interesting happens like management rights for CCS or a big signing would be good.
Possibly even go monthly over offseason with a 20-30m show just so we have something to listen to

Coast Football Ramble

CEO Shaun Mielekamp and Academy Director Ken Schembri are joining us on the podcast today.
If you have any questions please put them here and we'll try to get them asked.

Coast Football Ramble

This week:
CEO Shaun Mielekamp drops in to discuss the stadium, Everton, IFS, the off season and fishing.
Academy director Ken Schembri join us in the studio to discuss the CCM Academy team, the youth set up, promising players, play style philosophy and not fishing.
We discuss Red Bull, A-league expansion, previews, reviews and much more.

pjennings

Always good to hear from Shaun. However, the highlight for me was Ken Schembri. Very informative about the Academy, their role and philosophy. As a bonus he didn't want to talk @#%%#%% fishing. ;)

Another good effort guys. :thumbup:

Reactions: adz

JoyfulPenguin

Hey. As mentioned in the show we decided to have a week off due to the split round and the fact both Luke and I were away.
We couldn't trust Morrow and Josh with the equipment (as mentioned in last week's credits)
-Jimmy
Cheers! I often listen late at night so miss the credits. Can't wait for next weeks :)

Big Al

Hey. As mentioned in the show we decided to have a week off due to the split round and the fact both Luke and I were away.
We couldn't trust Morrow and Josh with the equipment (as mentioned in last week's credits)
-Jimmy
Hey guys welcome back, would love to hear your thoughts on wether to Izzo or not to Izzo this week

I say no way, imagine he makes a mistake costing us the game. No thanks
The whole world knows he's gone to AU
Also Doesn't Ivan deserve the spot based on last week

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred