• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Central Coast Stadium

dibo

Yeah. If the State maintains ownership, but offers a long-term leasehold, I'm much less antsy.

nebakke

There is something a bit distasteful about a property developer trying to pressure public officials to hand over an asset.

Normally I'd agree, but I have to admit, looking at the s***fight that's been represented by both the club and various councils with regards to the stadium, over the last couple of years, I'm past that stage and well into "GOD I wish someone would just make up their bloody mind, one way or another, about this thing".
Combined with how I think council has been doing a ridiculously poor job of actually utilising the stadium for anything... It's not even about what I might or might not deem to be appropriate use, as a rate/tax payers, just about any sort of use at all.. Right now it's not like it's open to the public the way a park is, but outside of football season it's also seeing less and less use. Much as I love the Mariners, in its current state, it's hard to see the justification for its existence for half the year, it just seems wasted.
So if someone like MC is willing to come in and throw some money at it while also wanting to broaden the use of the stadium, then I think it at least warrants hearing him out.... Obviously there'd need to be some caveats and, for mine, in an ideal world, you'd want to lock in things like access for carols and the general sort of thing that it is used for now though.

But at the end of the day, I have to admit that it feels a whole lot like the council has only started actually taking this issue seriously after the club has started commenting on it publicly.

Forum Phoenix

There is something a bit distasteful about a property developer trying to pressure public officials to hand over an asset.

See I thought the pressure to council was being applied by CCM's CEO and it's owner.

I also thought they had an investment and value record on the coast which is second to none. And I thought they were talking about investing a further 75 million to create additional assets that would greatly benefit the central coast population - which it desperately needs - regardless of being state owned. I also thought that the stadiums disrepair, neglect and poor management was patently obvious and something needed to be done.

I also thought the almalgamated council has been an absolute nightmare by all accounts ( and in this I know people at high levels in council) and Gosford was already notorious for its failure to get anything done.

Hey I can't even get a bin replaced. Three times now I've been told it will happen but it never does... doesn't exactly inspire confidence. So I take Sean at his word - they've been having a hard time. Pressure is clearly required. Or "nothing will come of nothing".

Personally, I'm thrilled for MC to be willing to put his money where his mouth is and for the Mariners to be trying to do something so positive and beneficial for Gosford and the coast, and if it empowers the Mariners, ties them forever more to the Coast and provides an ability to compete with the big clubs long term. It's a win win win win.

Will throw any and all support I can behind this and the club. I see nothing nefarious - they have more legitimacy than you could possibly hope for in an investor. If they're not the ideal partner I have no idea what people think one would look like. You will never find anyone more invested in seeing this succeed. Their track record is beyond reproach in this regard, and it would show poor judgement, ill will, or just plain incompetence not to see that the pros massively outweigh the cons.

I think we should encourage everyone to be incredibly positive and proactive in supporting this. Sorry FFC, but I think it's time to park the cynicism on this one.

Last edited:

FFC Mariner

90% of the Councils entire Parks and Rec budget goes to the "upkeep" of CCS by all accounts.

As a ratepayer, that is unacceptable and cant continue. That budget needs to go to the playing fields that are in a terrible state all over the coast.

Just dont give it away to an absentee landlord intent on private profit

Forum Phoenix

90% of the Councils entire Parks and Rec budget goes to the "upkeep" of CCS by all accounts.

As a ratepayer, that is unacceptable and cant continue. That budget needs to go to the playing fields that are in a terrible state all over the coast.

Entirely agree. But do you think that is an accurate and fair characterisation of Mike Charlesworth?

pjennings

At one stage they weren't spending enough and the club put in $250,000 towards it. They also were using grass that was best suited to the NRL season and not summer.

Tevor

Go MC, we need to embrace this. I've never seen a good council and sometimes people like Mike with money are needed. I do fear this is make or break for the club. If MC gets no where his money will disappear and so will the club. I don't live on the coast but I spend my money there every home game. Gosford will be a bigger ghost town if the Mariners move.

Paolo

At one stage they weren't spending enough and the club put in $250,000 towards it. They also were using grass that was best suited to the NRL season and not summer.
All before Shaun's time, but the Mariners havent always been the best tenant or partner with Council either.

Big Al

it's the
If you don't, the team will have to leave pressure we can't afford after all the bad performances. That could be enough to kill both the club and the stadium.

If you can't afford to run the stadium, don't

nebakke

it's the
If you don't, the team will have to leave pressure we can't afford after all the bad performances. That could be enough to kill both the club and the stadium.

If you can't afford to run the stadium, don't

I think you misunderstand - unless I'm misunderstanding you. The club isn't threatening to go - they're saying that they can't afford to risk not having a stadium at the end of this deal.

adz

Staff member
Would it be kind of silly not to have "go somewhere else" as an option, though?

Big Al

I think you misunderstand - unless I'm misunderstanding you. The club isn't threatening to go - they're saying that they can't afford to risk not having a stadium at the end of this deal.
No, wasn't saying you were saying that
More if we don't get some response we may have to go that route and I'm not sure the club can recover if forced down that path.

At some point the club has to coax a reply out of the council. E.g. Got no reply to there November presentation so went public. Got a response.

As you say though it's easy for nothing to happen with so many distractions. So at some point the club will get frustrated if that happens and MC doesn't feel like the sort of bloke to be quite about it.

We are now in a stage of political play, connections, use of media etc.

Forum Phoenix

Great, a chopped up field is EXACTLY what our struggling possession based football team needs right now. I can see the bobbling back pass being mis hit to Berisha already.

Where's my new bin you useless......... :redcard::soapbox::fireup:

Big Al

Threatened by our plan to have people actually use it they have got off there bum and organised this cracker. Play it at the new Woy Woy field

Wombat

I am starting to think Charlesworth could be one of the best owners in the league.

He may have some wacky ideas at times but you cannot say he is sitting on his hands waiting for something to happen.

If we finish up owning the stadium and the coe we will be one of the best clubs in Asia for facilities.

We have a stated policy of developing youth and of using those players in our side and then on selling them.

Not with his buying statergy......" is he willing to play for minimum wage?.....he is......great this sort of hungry player is exactly the sort of player the Mariners love to develop." .....sign him up.....oh ask him if he has any cousins with a pair of boots, willing to play for min wage and a barter card.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred